TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
pmyers

Face Off on SyFy entire season thread (Jan 2014)

I haven't seen a thread yet so figured I would start one.

Last season was so epic, but it does look like they have some pretty good talent this season. I really enjoyed some of the looks in episode 2.

Link to show if you don't know what it is: http://www.syfy.com/faceoff
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Thanks for starting the thread for my favorite reality competition show!

I've only seen the first episode so far and no one totally impressed me although I did see potential. The green thing that won was nice but I thought the shade of green was too... crayola-ish.

I do wish the contestants would manage their work in a way that leaves them sufficient time to do decent paint. So many of them fail in that department. I guess they all try but get caught up in sculpting or molds or whatever.

And a save this year?
I hate saves.
At least I hope they save it for very late when someone like Tate cuts half their finger off or something equally dire and not waste it too early before the wheat has been fully separated from the chaff, so to speak.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
pmyers

I agree about the paint jobs. You can have the best cowl/mask and it will look horrible with a bad paint job. You can also have a semi-decent or ok mask and have it look GREAT with a good paint job.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I do wish the contestants would manage their work in a way that leaves them sufficient time to do decent paint. So many of them fail in that department. I guess they all try but get caught up in sculpting or molds or whatever.
That is something that comes up in the early stages of every season, and almost always gets someone eliminated. Time management is key to this competition

Note that they started with 15 artists this time, which implies a 12 week show (assumiing a double elimination and the "judge's save" cancel each other out). I guess SyFy is liking this show.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
pmyers

It still bugs me that they do team challanges and then have to pick a single "winner" for the challange but the winner doesn't get anything....so why single out 1 of them, or at least give them a prize.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
sharkster

I'm one ep behind, so I haven't read everything yet. Yeah, last season was phenomenal.

So far, having seen E01 of this season, I think this will be a pretty good one. I really enjoy this show. It's amazing what they can do. The winner of the first episode was mind-blowing. I think even the judges were blown away.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Vendikarr

Quote:
And a save this year?
I hate saves.
At least I hope they save it for very late when someone like Tate cuts half their finger off or something equally dire and not waste it too early before the wheat has been fully separated from the chaff, so to speak.
Yes, the only reason I can see for using the save is if a consistently good artist has a catastrophic failure or injury like Tate and his finger, or Roy and his molding mishap last season.

They should just let a poor or medium quality artist suck it up and take the hit.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

I was hoping for Roy to win last season but as good as he is I'm sure he has a great paying job by now.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
pmyers

I'm hoping that's how they use it. I'm also hoping they have the option of not using it if they don't need to, but I doubt it.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
I was hoping for Roy to win last season but as good as he is I'm sure he has a great paying job by now.
I believe he's working for Ve Neill.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
rhain

Shameless Plug / Small World: My wife's nephew is on this season of Face Off that is currently airing. He actually lived with us before going back east to a College for Movie Makeup and Design (I guess several of the people on the show have gone there).

His name is Tanner, so NO BAD MOUTHING HIM!!! (J/K ing).
140-Hour Branded Tivo (540)
Series 3 Upgraded to 1 Tera Byte Drive
rhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
pmyers

Link to Tanner: http://www.syfy.com/faceoff/contestants/tanner_white
Old 01-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #13
DouglasPHill

McKenzie is the only reason I watch this show.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
McKenzie is the only reason I watch this show.
She is so beautiful! I loved her in 'Passions' all those years (a really bad, but I couldn't stop watching, soap that lasted around 10yrs).

They chose the right winner again in E02, IMO. I think I'm going to like this bunch.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #15
gschrock

Quote:
And a save this year?
I hate saves.
Haven't they effectively done a save in the past? I could have sworn I can recall at least one episode where they decided not to eliminate someone. So I'm not really sure this does much other than codify something they've chosen to do in the past anyways.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #16
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
Haven't they effectively done a save in the past? I could have sworn I can recall at least one episode where they decided not to eliminate someone. So I'm not really sure this does much other than codify something they've chosen to do in the past anyways.
Not really, last season one of the contestants quit before the challenge started, but they went ahead as tho she hadn't. At the end they didn't eliminate anyone, the question was since we can assume they were contracted for X number of shows, effectively eliminating 2 people that late in the show (I'm pretty sure they were down to 6-7 contestants at that point) could have been a logistical nightmare.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #17
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
Haven't they effectively done a save in the past?
Uh - I coulda sworn one season some of the eliminated contestants got a second chance - there was some a separate challenge that a girl won and then she came back and seemed to step it up. Am I dreaming that happened?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Uh - I coulda sworn one season some of the eliminated contestants got a second chance - there was some a separate challenge that a girl won and then she came back and seemed to step it up. Am I dreaming that happened?
Not to mention, IIRC, she was the one who won that season. I could be wrong, because my memory sucks now but I'm thinking she won. Hell, maybe it was Top Chef. d'oh
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #19
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
True, what happened was after 5-6 weeks, all those eliminated to that point got a 1-off special challenge and the winner of that challenge got to rejoin the competition. While this was a judge saying "yes you were eliminated, and how you get to come back", this isn't the same as Glenn, Ve, and Neville saying "we would have eliminated you this week, but for whatever reason we won't".
Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #20
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhain View Post
His name is Tanner, so NO BAD MOUTHING HIM!!!
Is "Tanner" really his birth name?

Generally speaking, for all this being the "season of extremes", I don't think we've seen anything too extreme or people taking too many chances.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #21
rhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Is "Tanner" really his birth name?
Yes it is his birth name.

Having not watch this show before he was on it, it is very interesting. I look forward to see how he does, along with the other people.
140-Hour Branded Tivo (540)
Series 3 Upgraded to 1 Tera Byte Drive
rhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #22
pmyers

Wow....I just didn't "get" last night's episode. The one that won was the one I picked for last place and I liked the Red V guitar one which the judges hated.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #23
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Sorry about Tanner, rhain.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #24
sharkster

Quote:
Sorry about Tanner, rhain.
Ditto. I thought of you when I watched last night.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #25
smbaker

I really wish when someone is booted from the show that they'd do a quick retrospective of the other challenges they'd participated in. When someone gets booted, I'm often wondering "did that person ever do something I liked?"

I'm curious about the winning design this week. How did the model see? I though the creature's eyes were offset from the model's eyes.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #26
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I'm curious about the winning design this week. How did the model see? I though the creature's eyes were offset from the model's eyes.
There was a little trough running down from the inside corners of the eyes toward the nose, as in where tears would run.
I thought there were eye holes in the lower portion of them.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

He could see out the mouth. I didn't think these were very good this week. Only 2 made there model look like the challenge. But it is still one of my favorite shows.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #28
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Wow....I just didn't "get" last night's episode. The one that won was the one I picked for last place and I liked the Red V guitar one which the judges hated.
+1 It didn't even seem like there was that much "makeup" involved, it was more costume/prosthesis.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #29
justen_m

My choice was the goblin girl. She was SOOO creepy. I love the shots where they show a quick evolve from the model to the final result. Cute little girl into creepy as all hell evil goblin that would give me nightmares.

I didn't really like the winner. Big bad thing. Ooo, so scary.

I also liked the red/black/angular guitar makeup. Sorry rhain, tanner really screwed up this week on pretty much everything he tried. Go big or go home? He made a great gamble on the horns, and he get wrong. I was rooting for him. Saran wrap?
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #30
Amnesia
The Question

I'm finally caught up. Seems like a shame that the judges used up the save when they did. I had thought that Corinne was a shoe-in for the final (her and Daran). Seems like she would have been a better person to save...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote