TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Schmye Bubbula

Transfer TiVo service question

I ordered a Roamio tonight on their special offer ending January 31, as seen this week on our TiVo Central home screen ads. I currently have two Series 2 boxes from 2005, one on Lifetime service, and the other on the consequent multi-service discount of $6.95/month. The TiVo rep had to go ask a supervisor, and came back and said that I would be able to transfer my monthly $6.95 to my new Roamio under the auspices of an "override." She said that the $6.95/month price would definitely hold forever — even after inactivating my two Series 2 boxes and selling them. Wow, that sounds almost too good to be true.

My question is, am I in for a rude surprise when my Roamio arrives and I make the call to transfer my old TiVo service?
Schmye Bubbula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmye Bubbula View Post
I ordered a Roamio tonight on their special offer ending January 31, as seen this week on our TiVo Central home screen ads. I currently have two Series 2 boxes from 2005, one on Lifetime service, and the other on the consequent multi-service discount of $6.95/month. The TiVo rep had to go ask a supervisor, and came back and said that I would be able to transfer my monthly $6.95 to my new Roamio under the auspices of an "override." She said that the $6.95/month price would definitely hold forever — even after inactivating my two Series 2 boxes and selling them. Wow, that sounds almost too good to be true.

My question is, am I in for a rude surprise when my Roamio arrives and I make the call to transfer my old TiVo service?
You'll probably be given the transfer since you've already hashed it out with TiVo support. The rude surprise would be selling your Lifetime unit and losing the $6.95 rate. That's the part of the conversation I wouldn't put faith in.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Schmye Bubbula

Yeah, I kept asking her, and she said that normally one must keep the associated Lifetime unit connected to call-in at least once every six months in order to maintain the multi-service discount, but she seemed adamant that my "override" meant that I could disconnect & sell both old Series 2 boxes, and keep the $6.95 rate. She said that I am "grandfathered." We'll see. My only fear is that I won't know for sure until after six months, long after the 30-day unconditional return period lapses, will I? Then they'd have me. I guess I was hoping for some reassurance from those of you here who have actually done this.

Last edited by Schmye Bubbula : 01-23-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:

Call them back and tell them you want the $99 lifetime deal for the monthly S2.

Give it some resale value.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Call them back and tell them you want the $99 lifetime deal for the monthly S2.

Give it some resale value.
I wouldn't think that would be a good idea, as Series 2 with lifetime sells for less than $99 on eBay. So you would be throwing good money down the drain.

Now if it was a newer model then it would be worth it.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
Schmye Bubbula

Yeah, most of these completed listings on eBay went for less than the cost of the Lifetime.

But could we please keep this thread on-topic? To wit, is there anyone who's actually bought a new TiVo under this "override" and had their old multi-service discount considered "grandfathered" and transferred to the new TiVo without having to maintain their old Lifetime TiVo?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
TiVoJimmy

Quote:
To wit, is there anyone who's actually bought a new TiVo under this "override" and had their old multi-service discount considered "grandfathered" and transferred to the new TiVo without having to maintain their old Lifetime TiVo?
I had this conversation the other day with TiVo customer service. The rep told me that as long as my lifetime S2 remains active on my account (call in at least once every 6 months) My grandfathered $6.95 a month will still be valid.

I am going to be buying a discounted Roamio too and wanted to make sure I can transfer the $6.95 a month service.
TiVoJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
Schmye Bubbula

Thanks for the reply, TiVoJimmy. My rep last night had me wait while she checked for sure with a supervisor, and came back and said that I would NOT have to keep my Lifetime'd S2 on account and connected, and I could sell it. (Presumably that would mean its Lifetime status would be deactivated.) She said it was because of this "override." I'll probably receive my Roamio Monday, so I'll report back here as soon as I find out what happens when I call TiVo to do my transfer. I gotta' bad feeling about this.

Anyone else here who has actually completed this kind of transaction?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, TiVoJimmy. My rep last night had me wait while she checked for sure with a supervisor, and came back and said that I would NOT have to keep my Lifetime'd S2 on account and connected, and I could sell it. (Presumably that would mean its Lifetime status would be deactivated.) She said it was because of this "override." I'll probably receive my Roamio Monday, so I'll report back here as soon as I find out what happens when I call TiVo to do my transfer. I gotta' bad feeling about this.

Anyone else here who has actually completed this kind of transaction?
Once that S2 was lifetimed, it's lifetimed, whether you keep it or sell it or give it to Grandma.

Unless there was some particular situation where TiVo accommodated you on the transfer of the lifetime sub to a different unit, but if that had happened it would have involved enough back and forth-ing with TiVo that you'd remember.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Schmye Bubbula

OK, I just got off the phone again with TiVo, and they escalated my question to a higher tier, and the upshot is that in my particular case, they are transferring my second S2's multi-service discount to the new Roamio, and made a note to my account with an Incident number that should any question arise in the future, I get to keep my $6.95/month service rate even if I disconnect my Lifetime S2 (i.e., it doesn't have to phone home at least every six months). They said that this kind of arrangement doesn't apply generally to everybody, and depends on a number of factors, such as how many TiVos were owned, how long you've been a customer, what promotion you're buying the new one under, etc. "Your mileage may vary."
memo: My Lifetime on the old S2 was not transferred.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
tatergator1

Sounds like your bases are covered and that's a sweet transfer deal. Congrats!
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #12
shrike4242

Quote:
OK, I just got off the phone again with TiVo, and they escalated my question to a higher tier, and the upshot is that in my particular case, they are transferring my second S2's multi-service discount to the new Roamio, and made a note to my account with an Incident number that should any question arise in the future, I get to keep my $6.95/month service rate even if I disconnect my Lifetime S2 (i.e., it doesn't have to phone home at least every six months). They said that this kind of arrangement doesn't apply generally to everybody, and depends on a number of factors, such as how many TiVos were owned, how long you've been a customer, what promotion you're buying the new one under, etc. "Your mileage may vary."
memo: My Lifetime on the old S2 was not transferred.
I went through that when I replaced one Tivo HD to my first Premiere XL and it was under the $6.95 plan. I went back and forth with a CS rep and then a CS lead and they went ahead and did the transfer of the $6.95 service to the Premiere XL. They said that it wouldn't go from Premiere XL to another device going forward and that it was a one-time exception with the adjustment.

Since said Premiere XL has been a little funny of recent, I may be finding out sooner than later.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote