TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
eochs

Is this a good deal?

I just got off the phone with TiVo... I have two premieres out of contract, one i pay 14.99 on and the other i pay 12.99... With the tivo advisors panel email i can replace both with a roamio and a mini for $175 total, and they offered to throw in the moca adapter for the roamio basic for free... Also they will move my 12.99 with no commitment to the roamio and then $5.99 a month for the mini...

So basically i save $8 a month, get a roamio, mini, and moca adapter for $175, and i already have a tivo stream at home... Can I do better? Or should I take this?
eochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

$175 for both the Roamio AND the Mini? That's a good deal.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by eochs View Post
I just got off the phone with TiVo... I have two premieres out of contract, one i pay 14.99 on and the other i pay 12.99... With the tivo advisors panel email i can replace both with a roamio and a mini for $175 total, and they offered to throw in the moca adapter for the roamio basic for free... Also they will move my 12.99 with no commitment to the roamio and then $5.99 a month for the mini...

So basically i save $8 a month, get a roamio, mini, and moca adapter for $175, and i already have a tivo stream at home... Can I do better? Or should I take this?
See if you can't squeeze $99 lifetime for both Premieres out of them as well.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
news4me2

That is a great deal. Was there a special code provided for this deal?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

EDIT: Disregard my question, I found this thread on the subject: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=513822

Last edited by news4me2 : 01-24-2014 at 06:52 PM.
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Johncv

Quote:

So what are you getting, one Roamio basic and one 6-tuner Roamio? If that the case, good deal. Just me, I would get lifetime on them.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by news4me2 View Post
That is a great deal. Was there a special code provided for this deal?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
Only for people on the advisors panel, it a unique non-transferable code.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
eochs

One roamio basic and one mini and one moca adapter. Got them to drop the transfer on my current premiere from $15 a month To $10 a month also! So go from 2 premieres at $28 aomth to a roamio and mini for $16 a month for $175
Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

You're looking at 14.6 months till it pays for itself... ($175/$12 difference in your monthly fees) and then its money back in your pocket each month...

...but dont forget your savings on getting rid of a cable card (assuming you're not an over the air person). If you pay aobout $5 like I do (Comcast), then it cuts it down to 10.3 months! ($175/$17 difference)

If you sell off your Premieres, (you wont get a lot of money since they're not lifetimed), it'll push you even closer to the break even point....

Also in the plus category you have the improved performance/responsiveness in both rooms, drop-in drive upgrade in the Roamio, general future-proofing, unified play list, rf remote, etc

In the minus category, you might lose storage space depending on what your 2 Premieres have. If drive space is a concern, you could consider upgrading the drive before you start recording programs. You'll have to do the math.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
eochs

Good idea on the drive upgrade. I took the deal. Mainly just happy to upgrade, the premiere is god awful slow in menus and things like Netflix. I did that same math to be able to sell my wife on this . I'm sure I can get lifetime on at least one of my premieres for $99, been with tivo since the svr2000, 2dt, hd, and premiere. I'll have to look at eBay and Craigslist to see if worth doing. Was worried about the performance on the mini, but people say it works pretty well over moca. Also having a single season pass list to manage will be nice
Old 01-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #10
eochs

Thanks for the advice. Thinking I should upgrade the hdd befor using the new roamio basic. I'll finally hook up the stream someone bought me also. With the free moca adapter and me already having a stream it didn't seem worth buying anything more then roamio basic
Old 01-26-2014, 12:01 AM   #11
eochs

What size hard drive comes with the basic for the 75 hours of hd recording? Prob don't want to spend more then $100 more, what drive do people recommend upgrading to?
Old 01-26-2014, 12:05 AM   #12
eochs

Last question. Gonna decom both my premieres, and one of them is getting service transferred to it. What do you recommend I do to transfer recordings from my premier to the roamio so I don't lose a bunch of stuff? Can I download them to my Mac and then transfer then to the roamio? Or do I leave both of them on monthly, transfer the recording to roamio, then cancel the premieres?
Old 01-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #13
eochs

Last question. Gonna decom both my premieres, and one of them is getting service transferred to it. What do you recommend I do to transfer recordings from my premier to the roamio so I don't lose a bunch of stuff? Can I download them to my Mac and then transfer then to the roamio? Or do I leave both of them on monthly, transfer the recording to roamio, then cancel the premieres?
Old 01-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #14
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Good idea on the drive upgrade. I took the deal. Mainly just happy to upgrade, the premiere is god awful slow in menus and things like Netflix. I did that same math to be able to sell my wife on this . I'm sure I can get lifetime on at least one of my premieres for $99, been with tivo since the svr2000, 2dt, hd, and premiere. I'll have to look at eBay and Craigslist to see if worth doing. Was worried about the performance on the mini, but people say it works pretty well over moca. Also having a single season pass list to manage will be nice
The processor in the Mini is in the same league as the one in the Roamio. Its plenty fast at launching apps, responding to button presses, pulling up season passes to manage, etc.

The only spot were you have a small delay is when you play (stream) a show from another Tivo, or tune a channel. It takes a moment two for the video to come up... just like when you MRS stream between your Premieres... cause that's what we're doing! The same with trick play (pause, ff, skip, etc)... MRS streaming is 99% as snappy as playing the video of the "local" tivo. The fact that the Mini is so snappy otherwise makes that pause stand out more, I think.

Mines tied to an XL4, and I love it... people report that it works just as good with either generation box as a host, but it could only be (a smidgen?) faster when tied to a Roamio with its big increase in horsepower.

-------
Oh, the base Roamio comes with a 500gb drive. To compare, base Premieres came with 250 or 320gb, and there were bigger ones like the XL2. Roamios can take up to 3gb... most people drop in a 2 or 3gb. There are threads specific to that topic with specific models suggested... discussion of "A/V spec" drives vs regular ones, etc.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
You can transfer *non copy protected* shows to either your Mac or a new Tivo. Use kmttg to get them to the Mac, then pytivo to get them back to the other Tivo (even if temporarily or to watch one by one, whatever).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote