TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
timckelley
TCFer

pyTiVo speed problem

I always assumed the slowness of pyTiVo was due to my using wifi, and also because, as one of the posters here has said, I'm using an S2 TiVo, but I have new information that suggests something else is wrong.

My wife has two S2's and one premiere that she transfers stuff from, and one S2 is markedly slower than the other other. Further, I just today ran an ethernet wire from that room along the floor to my router, so that I could try doing a transfer through a wired connection. There's good and bad news.

The good news is that my daily problem went away. By "daily problem", what I mean is that about once per day, our transfers freeze, and I'm forced to restart pyTiVo to get it going again. I'm guessing that problem is caused by my wireless signal not being strong enough. So far, transfers through a wired connection doesn't lead to this freezing up.

The bad news is that the slow TiVo is still quite slow, even through the wired connection. My wife transferred a two hour movie that was recorded on a low resolution (either basic, or the second lowest resolution), and it still took NINE hours to transfer through my wired connection.

This transfer didn't include the decode option... it's a straight transfer, including the metatext file. (That's really what 99% of our transfers are, where the only box we check is the metatext checkbox.)

As I've said in other threads we have a Windows XP machine running pyTiVo, and the target location of the transfer is on our NAS. Question: would it help any if I made the target location the hard drive of the computer running pyTiVo, and then later use Windows Explorer to move the file to the NAS? Intutively, I wouldn't think this should help any.

Is nine hours normal? I don't think it is, because our other S2 isn't that slow (at least when pyTiVo doesn't freeze up on us.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

S2 are generally slow as I can only get about 2-3 mb/s, mainly because of the processor encrypting/muxing the video/audio before sending it out.

My S3HD is somewhat faster at 6-8mb/s.
Now comes Roamio which zoomed at up to 30mb/s and this is only on wireless.

I can watch a SD show while its being transferred from the S3 with no interruption and skipping the commercials.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Let's get pyTivo off the hook: Go to the problem TiVo's internal web server, and try a download from there. If it's still slow, then it's not pyTivo.

But actually, given the differing results from two S2s, I think we can already say that it's not pyTivo. Are they the same model, and not just the same series? There are many different S2s, and some models are faster than others. Check the first three digits of their TSNs.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Let's get pyTivo off the hook: Go to the problem TiVo's internal web server, and try a download from there. If it's still slow, then it's not pyTivo.

But actually, given the differing results from two S2s, I think we can already say that it's not pyTivo. Are they the same model, and not just the same series? There are many different S2s, and some models are faster than others. Check the first three digits of their TSNs.
Well the slow one is TCD240080 and the faster one is TCD540040.

Yes, I certainly don't assume the difference is being caused by the pyTiVo software itself; maybe there's a hardware problem or something. I see people are measuring their speeds in bytes per second - I should ask my wife exactly which movie it was, and look up it's filesize so that I can come up with a speed in those some units.

Meanwhile, I can try a download from the TiVo internal webserver like you said, once I figure out how to do that.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
Well the slow one is TCD240080 and the faster one is TCD540040.
Surprising; everyone says the 240 is faster. Maybe it's breaking down? What about the network adapters?

Quote:
Meanwhile, I can try a download from the TiVo internal webserver like you said, once I figure out how to do that.
https://<yourtivoip>/

user: tivo
pass: <yourmak>

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
lrhorer

I do not know this for a fact, but given the fact you are talking about S2 TiVos, I suspect you might see very significant performance gains by hacking them and using a utility such as TyTool to transfer the data. TyTool transfers the data without re-coding it, so it should be faster on an S2. Turning off encryption may (or may not) also help significantly. They don't really like us to speak of such things here in the main forum, so for more details, you really need to move over to the "other" TiVo website, or perhaps to the underground forum here.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
timckelley
TCFer

Another thought occurs to me to verify that pyTiVo is not part of the speed problem... I change try regular HMO transfers from TiVo to TiVo, and observe which combinations result in slow transfers. Except a problem with that idea is to really compare transfer speeds fairly, I should have both TiVos hooked up to the router via ethernet wiring. I have a long ethernet wire that's long enough to reach any combination of two rooms in the house I need, but I don't have two such wires.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
S2 are generally slow as I can only get about 2-3 mb/s, mainly because of the processor encrypting/muxing the video/audio before sending it out.
Technically, it decrypts the video before sending it out.

Quote:
My S3HD is somewhat faster at 6-8mb/s.
Do you mean a TiVoHD, or the original Series III? That's a little bit slow, even for a THD. It would be quite slow for an S3. Here is a screen shot from some tests I just ran on my THD:

The S3 would be about twice as fas for all but the S3 transfer. An S2, of course, would be rather slow.

Quote:
Now comes Roamio which zoomed at up to 30mb/s and this is only on wireless.
The Premiere also has considerably better network performance.

Quote:
I can watch a SD show while its being transferred from the S3 with no interruption and skipping the commercials.
That's a little different. Using MRV, the video is not recoded or re-encrypted. That's why even the THD gets close to 30 Mbps for MRV.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Technically, it decrypts the video before sending it out.
Technically, doesn't it do both? It decrypts them (probably via h/w) with the TSN then re-encrypts them using the MAK.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote