TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
alleybj

Closed Captions Question

I had thought Tivotogo now transferred closed captions, but now I'm wondering if I'm wrong; can someone enlighten me? thanks
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
moyekj

Captions have always been transferred with TTG. It's easy to check too using "mediainfo" or playing back with "VLC".

For series 4 and later units there are issues preserving captions when transferring BACK to a TiVo (TiVoToComeBack) in mpeg2 program stream container, but that's a separate issue.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
alleybj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Captions have always been transferred with TTG. It's easy to check too using "mediainfo" or playing back with "VLC".

For series 4 and later units there are issues preserving captions when transferring BACK to a TiVo (TiVoToComeBack) in mpeg2 program stream container, but that's a separate issue.
I'm transferring from an Elite and am definitely not having the subtitles transfer over. Is there any setting that would help this? I'm going to check my Roamio and see if there's a difference. Thanks
Old 01-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
moyekj

Post the output of "mediainfo" here for a transferred title. As long as you can confirm captions exist in original recording on TiVo then they should transfer over via TTG in whatever format you use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
alleybj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Post the output of "mediainfo" here for a transferred title. As long as you can confirm captions exist in original recording on TiVo then they should transfer over via TTG in whatever format you use.
What is this mediainfo of which you speak, and where might I find it? Thanks
Old 01-22-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
moyekj

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Old 02-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Hyrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
I'm transferring from an Elite and am definitely not having the subtitles transfer over. Thanks
I thought the same thing once, but the closed captions are definitely in the transferred file. You may need to convert the .TIVO file to a .mpg file to be able to see them, or extract them.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
alleybj

I guess I've figured out that the captions do transfer to the computer, they just don't transfer back to the Tivo. I've seen various threads on this, but no solution. Has anyone come up with one? thanks
Old 02-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
I guess I've figured out that the captions do transfer to the computer, they just don't transfer back to the Tivo. I've seen various threads on this, but no solution. Has anyone come up with one? thanks
Yes, I mentioned that in my 1st post of this thread. It is possible to get captions when transferring back. The key is you have to transfer back to TiVo using mpeg2 TS container, which you can do by setting up recent version of pyTivo with ts=on setting in [server] section of pyTivo.conf and also making sure you point pyTivo to a recent version of ffmpeg. That way when you transfer to TiVo pyTivo will remux to TS container if necessary and captions will come out fine.