Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
Amnesia
The Question

Opposite Worlds - S1 thread

Anyone watch "Opposite Worlds" on Syfy?

The premise definitely seemed a little (OK: a lot) contrived. And I don't get this whole "winners get to choose which side to live on business". Would anyone really prefer to live like cavemen?

A couple things that stand out to me:
  • This whole idea of the people with immunity getting to choose who competes
  • The idea that the competition for elimination is a single one-on-one contest
  • The physicality of the first battle
I'm not a huge fan of the forced inclusion of twitter into the show, but I am intrigued by the idea that the Wednesday episodes will be shown live...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
smbaker

When they go up on the platform 10ft in the air to whack each other with unpadded cattle prod batons, I say to my girlfriend "I'll be surprised if someone doesn't get hurt".

Sure enough, we get a broken leg.

So I figure they'll at least cancel or modify the challenge. Nope. They do grant the team with the broken leg a free point because the other side tackled him in the safe zone.

So then we get a broken finger sprained and lacerated finger.

Then the final pair go to duke it out and the host tells them that 'wrestling isn't allowed' (because, apparently trying to push your opponent out of a circle is not wrestling!)

Seems to me this show is the very example of how not to do 'survivor'.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
BluesFools

I wonder if they stay at the house between shows. There are 12 people in the game next week, so there's around 11 weeks of eliminations to go. Each week is live, so it's not compressed like Survivor. Are they really away from work and family for the equivalent of nearly 3 Survivor seasons, or do they go home every week and just come back on Tuesdays & Wednesdays to do the show? Living off bread and carrots for weeks doesn't seem like it would work, especially as the prize is a small fraction of what you'd get for Survivor or Big Brother.

And the elimination challenge was possibly the most boring challenge I've ever seen, anywhere. Two people freezing and moving really slowly, showing zero enthusiasm. Maybe the producers will figure out that an outdoor water challenge at night in January may not be the best idea and we'll get something better next week.
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
aaronw

As far as choosing which side they live on, I can only imagine that at some point there will be some sort of surprise or something on the 'past' side to make it more alluring, otherwise that part doesn't make any sense. The fighting on the platform in the first episode was also kind of odd, since I wasn't exactly sure what the safety zone was, or what the rules were.
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
sieglinde

the show is 12 episodes, six weeks long. One episode is "live" each week. I don't know if it actually is or not as I live on the West Coast. I wonder where this thing is being filmed. Very cold but no snow.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
smbaker

So I'm having a debate with a friend...

I think the contestants on Opposite Worlds are going home between episodes. My reasoning for this is that we never really see sufficient footage that would suggest to me that multiple days have elapsed from one week to the next. They also seem quite well groomed and clean.

I also think the 'twitter popularity index' is probably broken due to large swings without explanation, and I'm suspicious of the voting for the 'deciders', due to how lopsided it is.

I'm surprised there's not more talk here about this series. I do find it entertaining, in a sort of 'how to make a really bad reality show' way.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Amnesia
The Question

But then how would they avoid knowing all the stuff that happens in the "private" chats that the host has with various contestants? How could Jeffrey think that his "alliance" with the teammate from the other side is still a secret?

Also, there was discussion about how one player almost "broke down" after being sent to the past. I can't believe that anyone would be so fragile as to break down after one day.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
justen_m

I like the show, but the twitter popularity index thing is so bogus.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:15 AM   #9
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
How could Jeffrey think that his "alliance" with the teammate from the other side is still a secret?
Does he still think this? It seemed to me that his teammates are aware that he's chummy with JR, and that Jeffrey's own team doesn't like him very much.

The way the deciders get to interview the entire opposing team, it seems like a lot of information passes back and forth between the teams.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Amnesia
The Question

Interesting episode. Didn't really like the "worldly challenge", but I thought that Jeffrey's punishment was pretty cool--seems like it would be very difficult for anyone to remember for 24 hours not to speak. Like first thing when you get up...

Also, Lauren's video call again stated that the contestants have been on-site for 40+ days...

I'm not sure I understand the logic of making Jeffrey the protected. It is because he's weak and disliked and so the other players want him around for the endgame (because he'd be easier to defeat)?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
justen_m

I want Jeffery gone.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
sieglinde

I have been on a silent retreat or two and I am a talker. I found it refreshing. Jeffery found it painful. hmm. I think he is the Richard Hatch of this show and could win.
I think this is a one time show because the premise will not carry it to another season. There is no real SF or history in it.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I think this is a one time show because the premise will not carry it to another season.
If the show is getting people to talk about the SyFy channel on social media, they might just pick it up for the "buzz". It can't be that expensive to produce, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
There is no real SF or history in it.
Same with all too many shows on the network.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Interesting episode. Didn't really like the "worldly challenge", but I thought that Jeffrey's punishment was pretty cool--seems like it would be very difficult for anyone to remember for 24 hours not to speak. Like first thing when you get up...
If one even believes that he was held to that punishment. The whole thing about picking Jeffry as the protected made almost no sense to me. I have low confidence in reality television. I have to wonder how much of this is scripted by the producers.

Was this series always intended to be so short? It seemed to be plodding along comfortably eliminating one person per week. Then all of a sudden they announce people will be going home twice per week. Then they eliminate two people in a single challenge. Now the whole thing (6 cast members?) is to be wrapped up this week. It feels like the show was doing poorly and they decided to accelerate it.

I felt like Jesse was robbed with last week's challenge. I really wanted to see him go up against Frank. Instead, he gets paired with Mercy for what turns out to be an almost guaranteed loss.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
Ment

Not sure why Lauren has consistent top twitter ratings other than she's hawt. Kind of a bleh personality... Samm should be higher.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Was this series always intended to be so short?
Yes. According to the original announcement, it was always going to be 12 episodes over six weeks.

With 14 people in the house, they can't just eliminate one per week...