TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
rainwater

TiVo Exits the Hardware Business (Denied by TiVo)

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/...exit-hardware/

Update: TiVo refutes rumors, says hardware is a 'core business'

Last edited by rainwater : 01-27-2014 at 01:28 PM.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Tobashadow

Well that makes it interesting, kinda turns me off on upgrading my S2's now.

New and Improved! - Cancer Free since Feb 10th 2010!!! F*%K Cancer!
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
mr.unnatural

Interesting. Tivo's been hinting at this for quite some time but it looks like they're finally making the move. Looks like if you want a Tivo that you don't have to rent from your provider or one of their boxes with the Tivo software you'd better get 'em while they're hot. The good news is that I see the resale value of real Tivos getting better down the road.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Wow, that's odd considering they just released the Roamio. Kinda sad...
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

Yikes. I guess I'm glad they released the Roamio first, and we won't have to be stuck with Premieres.

Raises huge questions though... it's not like all that many providers are or will adopt Tivo software. So what's the end game? Strip cost centers for a viable suitor?
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
Philmatic

We're likely looking at something similar to the Series 2 where other manufacturers can make boxes to TiVo's specifications and just have the TiVo software installed on it.

I am still pretty shocked by this announcement, so much for a refreshed TiVo Mini.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

It would be great if they had hardware partners lined up to produce retail hardware. I don't see myself going to a cloud-based DVR from my cable company any time soon, that's for sure.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Philmatic

Thy have at least 2-3 years to line those manufacturers up, I'm not too worried.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
randian

This is rather shocking. I figured I would keep my Basic for quite a while, now I wonder if I should take the loss on resale and buy a Plus or Pro to future proof myself (and stave off having to get a cableco dvr). This makes the big discounts so soon after release more understandable.

This is likely to negatively impact resale values. As cmeinck notes, I worry for my Lifetime sub now too.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
cmeinck

The great thing about where TiVo was headed (Roamio+TiVo mini), customers could cut their monthly carrier costs. I pay Verizon $5 a month now for one cable card. Companies like Verizon and Comcast aren't interested in lowering your fees. If anything, this will be a lesser version of TiVo at a premium price over standard DVR pricing. TiVo leaving hardware doesn't give them much leverage.

I hope they are around long enough, so that my lifetime service doesn't get impacted.
cmeinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post
I hope they are around long enough, so that my lifetime service doesn't get impacted.
I think the almost billion dollars they have in the bank will assure they are around for quite a while longer.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
bradleys
It'll be fine....

They laid off three people and are focussing on a different line. If the decide the need a refreshed retail model, the can either outsource or bring in new talent.

The Roamio will have at least a three year shelf life, and it is obvious that TiVo feels the dynamic is changing.

Most likely assuming they will not be able to compete with the cost basis of a cloud based DVR offering.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
aridon

Not sure how they expect to compete with a cloud based DVR with bandwidth caps.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
SNJpage1

It makes more sense for them to do this. Let some one else make the boxes and then let them buy the rights to put Tivo's software into them.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #15
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Most likely assuming they will not be able to compete with the cost basis of a cloud based DVR offering.
Cloud DVRs are a horrible idea. The lag and jitter would make for a lousy experience. That must be why cablecos like the idea.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
FACTAgent

Just emailed the link to Tivo customer service with a bunch of questions...

...they really need to reach out their subscribers with some kind of info instead of letting the media and rumor / speculation fill the information vacuum.

Cloud DVR is not viable for me due to data caps (they're probably coming) and the end of Net Neutrality, but, most of all, my desire for the speed, availability and control that is only possible with local storage.

I doubt Cablevision will partner with them since they are so invested in their cloud DVR, which has not received great user reviews.

When my Tivos eventually die, if Tivo has not lined up an independent HW vendor by then, I will probably move to Windows Media Center if it's still around or even ditch cable for satellite just to get local DVR storage....
FACTAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #18
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Their cloud-based DVR service would be run by the cableco's. Not available as a retail service. Caps wouldn't apply for those select few who will ever actually use it.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #19
russg
UID=0

So they are going to focus on the software. I can't say that's surprising really. The hardware has gotten to a fairly mature level these days and they can easily just get systems built by another company if they want more hardware.
russg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #20
Aero 1

Damn. I was going to wait a year before I go to the roamio for OTA only, now I have no idea how long they are going to keep the current line in retail.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #21
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/...exit-hardware/

It will be interesting to see how TiVo supports their latest line of products in light of this.
This explains the email I receive with a big discount on the Romeo box and the fact that TiVo is giving away the Premiere box. Look like TiVo is unloading their inventory. The summer software update, assuming we receive it, will be the last TiVo update. This is sad day for all of us who supported TiVo.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #22
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Cloud DVRs are a horrible idea. The lag and jitter would make for a lousy experience. That must be why cablecos like the idea.
I don't want them either, but a cloud DVR solution, with the presentation quality of say Netflix could be offered at a cheeper rate then standalone hardware. Once that happens TiVo hardware won't be competitive.

TiVo has a touch time selling retail hardware now - when it is cheaper in the long run then cable offerings... Imagine when cut rate third parties start entering the fray with ip delivery solutions and cloud base DVR's

Other benefits to TiVo?

- no longer have to worry about your crapy network
- no longer have to offer lifetime subscriptions
- no longer have to subsidize the hardware
- no longer have leakage for bad units
- no longer have people hacking and updating systems
- no longer have to deal with cable cards, tuning adapter and all the other garbage.

I love my stand alone TiVo and I hope this "experiment" fails miserably! But, eventually having local copies of content is going to be as odd as film in a camera.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #23
cmeinck

I don't care whether I buy hardware from TiVo or a third party who licensed TiVo software, as it doesn't involve my cable company. I cannot see Verizon (or any cable co) licensing TiVo software and providing me with a compelling, cost effective solution that is better than what we have now.
cmeinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #24
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
This explains the email I receive with a big discount on the Romeo box and the fact that TiVo is giving away the Premiere box. Look like TiVo is unloading their inventory. The summer software update, assuming we receive it, will be the last TiVo update. This is sad day for all of us who supported TiVo.
TiVo is not saying that they are no longer going to sell and produce the Roamio hardware... They simply are not designing the "next hardware update"

Let's not read more into this than necessary!

And we don't know, they may choose to outsource the development of any new hardware.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #25
tarheelblue32

So their entire hardware design team was only 7 people and they laid off 5 of them. Somehow this doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. The Roamio line and the mini are really all the hardware they will need for the next 3 or 4 years, probably longer. DVR hardware is a very mature technology at this point. Would people ever need a DVR with 8 or 10 tuners? Probably not. They can probably keep selling the same Roamio hardware they do now, maybe with some minor tweaks and upgrades for many years. And even if they do need new hardware in 4 or 5 years, they can just outsource that to some other company. They really don't need a permanent hardware design team anymore.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #26
Aero 1

nilay from the verge is saying that they are not leaving hardware and he will post it soon.

Check out @reckless's Tweet: https://twitter.com/reckless/status/426169242082619392

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #27
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
nilay from the verge is saying that they are not leaving hardware and he will post it soon.

Check out @reckless's Tweet: https://twitter.com/reckless/status/426169242082619392
Yeah, a lot more to this story... Thanks
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #28
Aero 1

Zatz is also saying it.
Check out @davezatz's Tweet: https://twitter.com/davezatz/status/426176452912889856

Old 01-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #29
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACTAgent View Post
...they really need to reach out their subscribers with some kind of info instead of letting the media and rumor / speculation fill the information vacuum.

Cloud DVR is not viable for me due to data caps (they're probably coming) and the end of Net Neutrality, but, most of all, my desire for the speed, availability and control that is only possible with local storage.

I doubt Cablevision will partner with them since they are so invested in their cloud DVR, which has not received great user reviews.

When my Tivos eventually die, if Tivo has not lined up an independent HW vendor by then, I will probably move to Windows Media Center if it's still around or even ditch cable for satellite just to get local DVR storage....
Cablevision may have to partner with TiVo to make it work, if it has not received great user reviews.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #30
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Bandwidth caps will not apply to a cloud based DVR managed by the cable company.