TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #31
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
But if the connection was being lost because of the phone I'd also be losing it on my laptop so.
True - but then again your laptop probably has the antennas for the wifi along side your screen. Where they are in the open and up in the air. I suspect your Tivo is probably not in the open and possibly surround by lots of other metal things that block wifi signals. One of the strengths of NOT integrating wifi but having it as an external USB adaptor is you can move the wifi antenna around to get better signal.

Don't get me wrong, I love wifi for portable devices. Can't live without it. But for things that are not portable, like a Tivo in an AV cabinet, taking the trouble to hardwire will ALWAYS pay off in the long run.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #32
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
True - but then again your laptop probably has the antennas for the wifi along side your screen. Where they are in the open and up in the air. I suspect your Tivo is probably not in the open and possibly surround by lots of other metal things that block wifi signals. One of the strengths of NOT integrating wifi but having it as an external USB adaptor is you can move the wifi antenna around to get better signal.

Don't get me wrong, I love wifi for portable devices. Can't live without it. But for things that are not portable, like a Tivo in an AV cabinet, taking the trouble to hardwire will ALWAYS pay off in the long run.
Still connected, but it has till tomorrow afternoon, normally 3 days and then gets dropped.

No, Tivo is not surrounded or in a cabinet its on top of a shelf out in the open.

Question
Will the wireless N adapter connected to the USB port over ride the internal wireless adapter?
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #33
kirk1701

Good news guys
I was connected past 3 days up to last night when I had to reboot the router because I lost the connection between my WD media player and my laptop.

After that the TiVo disconnected but was no problem reconnecting with the DHCP reservations.

Bottom line with the troubleshooting I've done I've come to the conclusion the roamio don't play well with certain routers; namely
http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/cisc...-35098697.html

It don't like my WD Live either, but haven't had as much trouble with it as I have the Tivo.

Which leads me to believe the router don't like releasing and renewing the IP address however, no problems with the wireless on my laptop yet "Knock on wood".

I'm not done troubleshooting this but will continue to update with my findings and one thing I did do last week which might be the reason I stayed connected to the TiVo past 3 days was I MOVED THE ROUTER!!! Just out of curiosity because I had a cordless phone and the router sitting side my side I moved the router to the other side of the desk away from that phone thinking it could be causing interference.

If I get disconnected again I might just put my WRT5400G router back on the network but if I remember correctly my signal strength was low with it, but it was next to the phone too.

Not done by a long shot
will update
Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #34
kirk1701

UPDATE!!

Think I'm all fixed up guys
BOTH routers were the issue, the old Linksys WRT54G might work with the Tivo but it too was limited just for connecting to get programming info. It was sure enough outdated and wasn't working with my WD Media player to stream movies from my laptop.

54Mbps wireless

Ok, the Linksys E4200 was defective, though it didn't show up right away on the laptop I guess the issue got worse and finally started noticing drops in signal on my laptop which was when I knew I had more of an issue then originally thought. It didn't show the signal was dropped in the task manager but I was streaming a local radio station and just kept stopping, then downloads would get dropped, I started monitoring the network connection and sure enough it showed the drops

Just got this one day before yesterday:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320091

It's hooked up
I can reboot the TiVo and it connects automatically
I can reboot the router and the TiVo reconnects without having to manually go in and reconnect it

WD Media Center, AWSOME!!!
All's good so far knock on wood
Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #35
DocNo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
It's hooked up
I can reboot the TiVo and it connects automatically
I can reboot the router and the TiVo reconnects without having to manually go in and reconnect it WD Media Center, AWSOME!!!
All's good so far knock on wood
Glad to hear that you got it sorted! It's appalling how bad many access points are. If you start getting issue that look like DHCP lease issues again, just go into the setup for your router and set up reservations/static leases or whatever they call them in your device. That way you never have to worry about the router OR your equipment screwing up the release/renew cycle. I've been doing this for years now on networks I administer as well as my home networks and it's amazing the amount of weird problems that simply go away once you do do.

Again, congratulations!
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #36
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
Glad to hear that you got it sorted! It's appalling how bad many access points are. If you start getting issue that look like DHCP lease issues again, just go into the setup for your router and set up reservations/static leases or whatever they call them in your device. That way you never have to worry about the router OR your equipment screwing up the release/renew cycle. I've been doing this for years now on networks I administer as well as my home networks and it's amazing the amount of weird problems that simply go away once you do do.

Again, congratulations!
Hey Doc, I did that on the Linksys E4200 but there was more going on with that router than I can pinpoint. To start with I should never had bought it used off Amazon but I figured, hey if I hook it up and it works we'll great.

If not send it back.

Never expected the thing to show a slow death.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #37
a0lsux

I had the same problem, rebooted everything but that did nothing. Even saw that my DHCP server handing out IP but it did not accept it. Finally used one of my airport express to replace my router and that finally worked.

I guess Tivo likes Apple devices heh.
a0lsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #38
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0lsux View Post
I had the same problem, rebooted everything but that did nothing. Even saw that my DHCP server handing out IP but it did not accept it. Finally used one of my airport express to replace my router and that finally worked.

I guess Tivo likes Apple devices heh.
Mine was definitely the router and I'm fining out I had more problems then just the Tivo and Media player working with the router.

Anything I transferred across the network to back-up to another computer with that router; we'll I'm dealing with that now and corrupt files.

Luckily I back-up everything religiously