TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
Alan P

THR22 New HD & Season Passes

I've searched but can't find the answer to what I think is a very simple question:

When I upgrade the hard drive (external or internal) on my THR22, do my season passes need to be set up again? I understand the recordings themselves will be gone, but are the SPs gone as well?

Just need to know before I upgrade so I can write down the 100+ SPs I got.
Alan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
THR22 New HD & Season Passes

Yes, they'll be gone. Some of the settings will remain, but the SPs won't. What I did was take a photo of the various SP screens so I could see the shows and the order. You may need to go into the options screen to see things such as KAM, SUID, etc.

When you go to set up new SPs, you can do so only for shows currently in the guide, and will need to wait a day or so for that to fill in.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Alan P

Thanks Steve!

That's exactly what I did last night - took pics of all the SPs and then put 'em in a Word DOC.

What are KAM and SUID...and what exactly is the "etc." I should make sure to write down?

Yeah, I've had to re-set-up SPs before, so I know about having to wait....quite awhile for some that aren't even currently airing.

BTW, I bought the same drive you did upon your recommendation in this forum, thanks!

WD AV-GP WD20EURX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I've had a 2TB drive in there since I got the THR22 about 2 years ago (installed the drive before first boot), but since day one I've had slow menus and some annoying pic breakup....I'm hoping the new drive will fix those issues. Couldn't tell you which drive I have in there....but I can tell you I didn't research it very well and I probably got the wrong kind of drive in there.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
KAM = Keep At Most
SUID = Save Until I Delete

I was suggesting that if you had customized the season pass (including recording time extensions) you'd need to record your changes.

I'm skeptical that a new drive would solve the problems you're having. DVRs aren't particularly demanding on drive performance. But I am using that drive and it works well for me.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
Alan P

Oh yeah, I'll have a lot of KAMs and SUIDs to go through for sure!

Well, from reading here and over at DBSTalk most folks say that the THR22 is just as fast, if not a little faster than the regular D* HD DVRs. I've got an HR21 in my bedroom and it is a lot faster than my Tivo. The menus on my Tivo are just painfully slow at times - especially the search function; I can type in a search term and it can sometimes take a full minute before anything shows up in the results. My previous SD DirecTivo was much, much faster at everything.

Let me ask you this - when you get to the end of a program and hit delete, after it takes you back to your list, does the deleted show hang around for about 10-15 seconds before it is actually deleted?

Also, I can record shows on my HR21 and get no pic break-up, but I'll get pixelization and break-up on the exact same recording on my Tivo. It's for these reasons that I think it's the HD...I'll find out this weekend!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
We don't see a delay of more than a second or two. I did have pixelation and breakup on my THR22 that did not show on my HR21. DirecTV eventually replaced the dish and the problem went away. The THR22 is definitely faster than the HR21, even though it is the same basic hardware, My HR44 is faster at many things but not all.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
Alan P

Just wanted to update this thread and say that after a month with the new HDD I have had none of the old issues; no pixelation and the menus are definitely faster - although, still not as fast as my old SD DirecTivo.

Thanks for the HDD recommendation Steve!