TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #61
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Minor point but the brick isn't 100% efficient so it will use more than 24W max. On the other hand, the Roamio probably doesn't draw 2A on average.
Without the data telling us how efficient this particular supply is, it isn't terribly beneficial to talk to about the losses from the transformer.

What would be interesting is the Kill-a-Watt measurements from both a Premiere and Roamio under the same conditions. Throwing a Plus into the mix would be a good idea too.

But, the fact that the Premiere's supply was 120W peak, and the Roamio's supply is 24W peak is still good news. That's quite an improvement and will show up on the power bill.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #62
jcthorne

You are correct sir. I overlooked the power supply losses which are included for the internal supply. Still looks to be a bit lower power usage. Will need to measure to be sure. The green drive helps.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #63
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
But, the fact that the Premiere's supply was 120W peak, and the Roamio's supply is 24W peak is still good news. That's quite an improvement and will show up on the power bill.
I thought actual measurements of Premiere power consumption were in the 30 to 40 W range. (?)

This range costs me less than $3/mo. -- not worth worrying about. Only folks in the high-life-style, NIMBY states that have allowed their electric rates to sky rocket (e.g., CA) worry about that kind of stuff.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and

Last edited by dlfl : 08-22-2013 at 11:27 AM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #64
jcthorne

My Roamio shows 14w running. (Kill a Watt meter) I think all 4 tuners record all the time so not sure one could vary the load other than by using standby.

And my wife says I am officially acting like a nerd with my new nerd toy. Thanks guys.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #65
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
My Roamio shows 14w running. (Kill a Watt meter) I think all 4 tuners record all the time so not sure one could vary the load other than by using standby.

And my wife says I am officially acting like a nerd with my new nerd toy. Thanks guys.
Your wife actually watches what you're doing that closely ?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #66
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I thought actual measurements of Premiere power consumption were in the 30 to 40 W range. (?)

This range costs me less than $3/mo. -- not worth worrying about. Only folks in the high-life-style, NIMBY states that have allowed their electric rates to sky rocket (e.g., CA) worry about that kind of stuff.
The Premiere was around 25 watts with the Elite being a little less.

So how many watts does the Plus/Pro draw?

14 watts is a very low power draw for the base Roamio compared to the Elite/XL4.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #67
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

14W while recording is pretty good.

Quote:

Without actual numbers, can only compare the peaks, and hope the relative differences are somewhat similar. 30-40 down to 14 is still pretty good. Maybe 50% higher than the streaming boxes sitting at about 10W with the latest models.

It also depends on what eats at your bill too. For me, the entertainment center and my home server account for most of my power bill at this point. A couple bucks here and there add up over time.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #68
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Elite draws 19W. It's better then the 2 tuner Premiere because the analog encoding chip is disabled. The Roamio doesn't even have an analog encoder. However the Plus/Pro have the transcoder for streaming so that might kick it up a bit.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #69
jcthorne

Quote:
Your wife actually watches what you're doing that closely ?
Only when she wants to poke fun at me. It was fair, I was kidding her about her girlfriend football get together Sunday.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #70
drawz

The daughterboard may also allow TiVo to upgrade wireless technologies easily (e.g. wireless AC) and/or use different suppliers for wifi. In addition, it looks to me like there might be some RAM on that module? Maybe there's more going on there?
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #71
oceanblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
And nobody commented on the clever title!

I will need to attribute that title to a beloved blogger who was a day 1 reviewer of the Roamio.
Any idea which tuner is inside? Maxlinear again?
oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #72
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if TiVo made the connector off spec a bit so you'd have to buy the replacement brick from them.
What? You don't have a pair of dykes and some wire nuts? *grin*

(or heat shrink tubing and a soldering iron to do it "nice")

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #73
realfun4u

Can we put in a bigger HD (in terms of TB size into a Roamio Pro?

as i would like to go to the biggest capacity i can
realfun4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #74
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by realfun4u View Post

I'd suggest reading the upgrade thread
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507695
Old 01-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #75
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by realfun4u View Post

Only if you buy it from Weaknees. There isn't a DIY solution for anything higher than 3TB. And the Pro already comes with a 3TB drive. So if you want to pay $350, you can get a 4TB drive that will work in the Roamio Pro.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote