TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
jmbach

DIY 4TB Premiere

Well after a lot of trial and error, I finally managed to come up with a way to expand a premiere drive up to 4TB. This was the result.

I was able to keep all my recorded shows. It took me about 2 days to accomplish this. I will do my best to outline the procedure as soon as I get it written up. It is not for the faint of heart and does require some technical know how. While doing this procedure, I moved the OS to approximately the center of the 4TB drive and 4k aligned the image. It probably was not necessary but I figured if I am maxing out my premiere I want to try to reduce seek times as much as possible. It also requires you to coalesce some partitions and have an extra 2TB drive. Once I feel the write up has the detail needed, I will post it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4TB Premiere.jpg (105.4 KB, 585 views)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
jmbach

4TB expansion procedure

Revised procedure 3/16/2014.
Additional information added 3/27/2014.
Read this post in its entirety first. I would not recommend you to do this if you have any reservations or questions about any step. You attempt this completely at your own risk. There are no warranties or guarantees of success.

That being said, here is the revised procedure to expand a premiere to 4TB. I am hopeful that comer will come out with a new version of JMFS that addresses some if its current limitations which would greatly simplify this procedure more.

But first credit and thanks go to ggieseke, comer, cniessen, and JamieP for without their groundwork I may not have been able to accomplish this. Also for ggieseke and cybernut for doing the upgrade which has helped define the steps better. Finally for marwatk who developed Linux scripts to make the copy and rearrange step easier.

First, in order to expand to 4TB you have to start with a 2TB image. If you have a 2TB XL4 image I suggest you wait until comer has the new version of JMFS. The 2TB XL4 images do not require the rearranging or coalescing of the partitions but it requires you to modify and correct the checksum of the MFS header. If you know how to do this, then you can try it. Instructions are near the end of the post.

Before proceeding, read cniessen's write up on S3 Consolidation while preserving recordings to better understand MFS structure and limitations.

The minimum OS to be on to try this procedure is version 20.3.8

This is for people who have already expanded their current images to 2TB.

Tools you may need depending if you do this all with Linux or if you want to use some windows tools.
-Any variant of dd to copy partitions/drives. For windows you can use DvrBARS for copying drives, hex editing program like HxD or disk editing program like iBored for copying partitions/modifying the APM. I like iBored as it has templates that display the APM values.
- marwatk Linux scripts for the copy and rearrange step of the procedure. Since this was developed, it has greatly simplified that step.
-pdisk modified for TiVo (found in MFSLive) to edit the partition table. In windows, you can use a hex or disk editing program. However, you will need to know how to manually adjust the APM if you use hex or disk editing programs.
-hdparm on the JMFS disk to adjust the visible sectors on the temporary expansion drive.
-JMFS tools

I will provide details on how I did it but it can be done using any of the tools listed above. When working in windows, make sure all the programs are opened as administrator or ran out of an administrator command window.

You will first copy the 2TB drive over to the 4TB drive. While doing this you will have to rearrange the partitions a little. Our end goal is to shrink the number of partitions to 14. (An expanded Premiere has 15 partitions) so we can add our own 15th partition. Read cniessen's write up on how to do this. After some discussion with other TCF members, I have come to the conclusion that although my initial method works it is not as eloquent as it should be. So I am revising the method. The final partition layout on the target drive will be 1,11,12,13,15,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,14,10. The reason for this is that it will leave partition 10 intact without modifications so that current tools can access the information easier.

Additional information:
TCF member marwatk developed a set of Linux scripts that make this step easy. See his post here for how to use the scripts. One side note, when using his scripts, the resultant image is smaller than the original and so the numbers below will be slightly different. If you use the numbers below, you might lose a few minutes of recording time. However, if you use these scripts, I would only use them to copy and rearrange the partitions on the destination drive and not use the coalesce scripts at this time. Once there is a patched version of JMFS publically available which would make using the external 2TB drive unnecessary, then you can use the coalesce script. You would then follow the directions in marwatk post to expand to 4TB and ignore everything else below. (the procedure in this case would be the same to expand to 3TB as to expand to 4TB.)

Quote:
My personal method: (using windows)
I booted windows and used DvrBARS to do a modified backup of the 2TB image in case something unforetold happens. You will have to have enough room to store the backup using this method which can be the full 2TB depending on how many recordings you have.

Next start iBored. Usually iBored has AutoTemplate checked which automatically brings up the APM template when you come to a block that is in an APM format. If not you can manually pick the template. Blocks 1 through 15 should open up in the APM template. In iBored I open up both the source 2TB image and the 4TB drive. I make the 4TB drive writeable. Copy blocks 0 through 63 inclusive from the 2TB drive to the 4TB drive. Open up block 11 (which is the APM entry for partition 11) on the 4TB drive. Then I modify the value in the "first partition block" value in partition 11 to 64. Then for the next partition, the "first partition block" is the value of the preceding partition "first partition block" value plus the preceding partitions "partition block count". Keep on doing this for each partition entry in the partition order I enumerated above until the last partition in that list.

Once that is done, then copy each partition from the source drive to the target (4TB) drive. In iBored, when you copy the partitions over the start block is the "first partition block" from the source and the number of blocks to copy is the "partition block count" on the target drive. The destination block is the "first partition block" of the target drive. Do not copy partition 1 over as that will overwrite the APM on the 4TB you just modified.

Once the partitions are all copied, put it in your TiVo to make sure it works. Once you verify it is working, take it out and proceed to the next step.
Calculate the number of sectors that are free at the end of the current image on the 4TB drive to the physical end of the drive. Take the number of sectors of a 4TB drive (usually 7,814,037,168) minus the end of the 2TB image (usually 3,907,029,168) which gives you a value of 3,907,008,000. We do this so when we run the JMFS command, the zone maps will be updated with the correct number of sectors.

Hook your 4TB drive and a 2TB drive to a computer and boot JMFS. The 2TB drive needs to be connected either via SATA or eSata for hdparm to work correctly. Once JMFS is booted, drop to the command line. Using hdparm temporarily limit the number of sectors of the 2TB drive to the number you calculated above plus 64. So using the above numbers it would be 3907008064. (Why 64 you asked? Well we have to have space for the partition map on the 2TB drive). If the 2TB drive is /dev/sdc then the command would be “hdparm –N 3907008064 --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/sdc”. You can check to make sure it was done correctly running hdparm again with this command “hdparm –N /dev/sdc”. This should show you the number of visible sectors and total actual sectors of the drive.

Once the 2TB drive has the appropriate number of sectors visible based on the preceding step, expand the 4TB image. If the 4TB drive is /dev/sdb and the 2TB is /dev/sdc, then the command will be "./mfsadd.sh /dev/sdb /dev/sdc". Once it is done you can check the results by typing "./mfslayout.sh /dev/sdb /dev/sdc". Once you verified everything is correct then on to the next step.

Next we will move the partition information from partition 2 of the 2TB extended drive to partition 15 on the 4TB drive. Then copy the first 2MB of partition 2 on the extended drive to the beginning area of partition 15 on the 4TB drive.

Quote:
My personal procedure:
Having both the 4TB drive and the 2TB extended drive connected to the computer, start iBored and make the 4TB drive writeable.

Now coalesce partitions 12 and 13 on the 4TB drive into 12. You do this by adding the value in "partition block count" in both partitions and replacing that value in partition 12 entry. Also change the value "data block count" to the same number. Then slide the information in APM entry 15 to 13 by copying block 15 to block 13

Next open the 2TB extended drive in iBored. Copy block 2 from the 2TB drive to block 15 of the 4TB drive. Then with block 15 on the 4TB drive open, change the value “blocks in partition map” to 15. Change the value in “first partition block” to the value of “first partition block” in block 10 plus the value of “partition block count” of block 10 (usually 3907029168).

Finally copy blocks with the source drive being the 2Tb extended drive starting at block 64 for a total of 4096 blocks to the target 4TB drive starting at the value found in “first partition block” in block 15.

When that is done, then put the 4TB drive into the TiVo, let it boot and divorce the external drive and you should have a working 4TB drive.

Last edited by jmbach : 03-27-2014 at 06:07 PM.
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
Cybernut

TC CLUB MEMBER
This is fantastic jmbach!! Kudos!!

I know you said this is not for faint of heart and will require some technical know-how, which I know I lack. I am hoping though your instruction writeup can guide relative newbies like me to at least a good extent. I know I just installed the 3TB in my Premiere couple weeks ago but would love to try out this more challenging task of getting 4TB in it.
Cybernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:40 AM   #4
Cybernut

TC CLUB MEMBER
Maybe I'll hold off on upgrading to 4TB from my recently-upgraded 3TB. After reading this post by ggieseke (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...47#post9975847) I realized that the tools I used to copy over my recordings from my 1TB drive won't work with 2+TB drives. And I've already added quite a number of recordings on my new 3TB drive from shows on channels that I can't dump to a computer using kmttg. So in other words I can move up from my 1TB drive to a 4TB drive (assuming it's easy enough for me to even try once you have the steps written up) but not from 3TB to 4TB drive. So will wait until ggieseke's tools that works with drives larger than 2TB are ready. Unless of course, jmbach, you have solved that problem as well.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:27 AM   #5
realfun4u

Awesome Post! i want to MAX out my Roamio Pro now lol
realfun4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Cybernut

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by realfun4u View Post
Awesome Post! i want to MAX out my Roamio Pro now lol
This is not for Roamio....this is for Premiere.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
jmbach

Cybernut is correct, this is for premiere only. Ggeiseke is working on something that will work on Roamio (and probably premiere as well).

Going from a 3TB to 4TB should be possible but will require rearranging the partitions as you copy from the 3TB to 4TB. More to come....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Cybernut

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thumbs up

Thanks again to jmbach's immense help, I was able to upgrade my Premiere to 4TB just two weeks after moving to 3TB with his help.

He has perfected this process. And I agree with his initial post above...this definitely isn't for the faint of heart. It is a pretty complicated process and one must have some technical know how to attempt this...and preferably the right tools like an eSATA dock if trying to move from 3TB to 4TB (USB docks should be ok when moving from the original 1TB drive).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4TB_DIY.JPG (130.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Cybernut : 01-28-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Clarified situations for eSATA dock
Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
shamilian

Has anyone written up the procedure yet ?

I am looking to go from a previous 2TB P4 to a 4TB P4.. ( not XL model )
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
jmbach

Write up in 2nd post of this thread.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Has anyone written up the procedure yet ?

I am looking to go from a previous 2TB P4 to a 4TB P4.. ( not XL model )
I used iBored (windows ) and dd (linux) to get down to 14 partitions.
Instead of using a second disk drive, fixed an issue in JMFS (linux).

And it works 638 HD Hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tivo_size.JPG (74.0 KB, 23 views)
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
wwu123

I probably don't have the guts to try this anytime soon, but just in case I had a question about Supersizing. I did the 2TB Premiere upgrade in the early days before Supersizing was an available option, so my recording capacity is slightly smaller than it could be.

If I used that 2TB image to expand to 4TB with this procedure, would I lose even more capacity relative to the 638-640 HD hours people are getting? Would it be advisable to Supersize first?
wwu123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
jmbach

Since you are using JMFS for part of the procedure, you can supersize while everything is plugged in. I recommend that you supersize right after the image is copied to the 4TB drive and before anything else is done.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
44ml

I have the stock 250GB that I would like to upgrade. Can I move that to a 2TB drive then move the 2TB to a 4TB drive? I have the TCD746320 Premiere.

Also, is there somewhere I can download a DvrBARS backup of a factory TCD746320?
44ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #15
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ml View Post
Also, is there somewhere I can download a DvrBARS backup of a factory TCD746320?
PM sent. Jmbach will have to walk you through upgrading it to 2TB, consolidating it, and expanding to 4TB. The only one I've done started with a 2TB XL4 image.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
44ml

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent. Jmbach will have to walk you through upgrading it to 2TB, consolidating it, and expanding to 4TB. The only one I've done started with a 2TB XL4 image.
PM received. Thank you!

With DvrBARS, am I right in assuming I can only restore to the same size drive as the backup? I planned on restoring to a 320GB drive, expanding to 2TB with comer's guide (showthread.php?t=455968 [can't post links yet]), then using this guide to expand to 4TB.

Once I get a 4TB drive working, can I use DvrBARS to make a backup that others can use to simplify the process?

Most importantly, where's your donate button?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
jmbach

I would restore the image ggeiseke sent you to a 2TB drive using DvrBARS and then let JMFS expand and super-size it. Then when you get a 4TB we can go to the next step. DvrBARS donate button is in the system information menu or you can use the one at the end of the post the guide is in. (which I emailed to ggeiseke but he hasn't used yet in his OP in the DvrBARS thread)

Old 02-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
ggieseke

Once you go past 2TB DvrBARS can't back your drive up anymore. When I wrote it that was the limit on Premieres, so using the Microsoft VHD format was OK (that's the limiting factor).

You can restore the factory 320GB image to any drive that's at least that big. I would restore it to a 2TB drive and use jmfs to expand it. After that jmbach can walk you through the 4TB expansion if you're handy with hex editors and willing to take the plunge.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #19
jmbach

Quote:
Once I get a 4TB drive working, can I use DvrBARS to make a backup that others can use to simplify the process?
That is not a bad idea. Might be able to create a 2TB base image people can use to expand to 4TB. Hmm. Have to see how DvrBARS deals with a highly modified image.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #20
wwu123

To understand the step of copying over the 2TB image to the 4TB disk:
"I booted windows and used DvrBARS to do a modified backup of the 2TB image and a quick restore to the 4TB drive. You will have to have enough room to store the backup using this method which can be the full 2TB depending on how many recordings you have. (Your other option is using the copy function of JMFS (which uses a variant of dd).)"

For those of us wanting to do this on a nearly full Tivo, you'll have to have another 2-4 TB pretty empty disk in your comiputer to handle the 2 TB backup image using DvrBARS? But with JMFS you can do a straight copy from HDD to HDD - any downside risks to just doing the copy? I'd hate to have to buy yet another 2+ TB disk as I don't have that much space free on my computer.
wwu123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #21
jmbach

DIY 4TB Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwu123 View Post
To understand the step of copying over the 2TB image to the 4TB disk:
"I booted windows and used DvrBARS to do a modified backup of the 2TB image and a quick restore to the 4TB drive. You will have to have enough room to store the backup using this method which can be the full 2TB depending on how many recordings you have. (Your other option is using the copy function of JMFS (which uses a variant of dd).)"

For those of us wanting to do this on a nearly full Tivo, you'll have to have another 2-4 TB pretty empty disk in your comiputer to handle the 2 TB backup image using DvrBARS? But with JMFS you can do a straight copy from HDD to HDD - any downside risks to just doing the copy? I'd hate to have to buy yet another 2+ TB disk as I don't have that much space free on my computer.

You can use JMFS to copy the 2TB image to the 4TB drive as was mentioned. Since my 2TB was only a third full and I wanted a backup in case something went wrong and I needed a 2TB drive for the expansion step, I used the DvrBARS approach.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #22
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

For those who don't want to have (or buy) smaller capacity drives, on their way to getting to larger sizes, there is the hdparm way (hard for some), then the Hitachi Feature Tool way (easy for some):

1. Hard way (for some) Use hdparm (linux utility) to set the drive's HPA (Host Protected Area), in order to make the device the drive is attached to believe it is a smaller size, then shrink (or eliminate) the size of the HPA, as needed. This makes the host device (computer or TiVo) think the drive is whatever size you have set the LBA number to represent. hdparm can be dangerous if not used correctly (a small typo can brick your drive).

2. Easy way (for some) Use Hitachi Feature Tool bootable (DOS-based) bootable floppy, CD, or thumb drive are all options, to just change the LBA number to reflect the drive size you need at each step you need a change (can only be done by changing LBA, not typing in the capacity you want, due to limitations in the program). The LBA number you select needs to be offset by 1 (due to Hitachi FT starting with the first LBA as zero, or one, I forget which way it is offset from the way nearly anything else reads/sets LBA number).

With both methods you want to specify "permanently" (or "persistent"), and each requires a reboot once you set the change (and requires a hard reboot if you change it to a value, apply the change, then realize you got it wrong and need to change it to another value). The change can be reversed/altered later, but you need the permanent/persistent part to make the drive retain the change with a soft and hard reboot.

Words of warning: If you have ever had the drive connected to a computer/host that set a HPA area on the drive, you will notice a discrepancy in the true max LBA and what the drive reports. Please make sure to check for this before moving along to changing things. If you see the drive already has it's visible LBA count reduced, the first step is to check your BIOS for an option like "save backup copy of BIOS to HDD", and disable it, and then make sure that you don't have any backup (or drive/partition management) software installed that makes hidden and protected backups within a HPA the software creates. Paragon, and (I think) Acronis, can be set to do this.

In many cases, you may have to change your BIOS settings to change drive(s) involved to "compatible/legacy mode", or Hitachi FT may not see it (in "AHCI/Windows mode").

I've also learned that disabling automount, within windows, via diskpart, via command prompt, is a good idea when you want to insure Windows doesn't try to alter the drive(s). This helps insure Windows will only acknowledge the drive as being connected (hardware-layer-wise), without prompting you to "initialize" the drive, or it trying to assign drive letters/mount-points/etc. While doing this is usually not necessary, it's still added safety.

You can also purge the cache of mount-points, drive letters, and related mappings for no-longer-attached drives while using diskpart at command prompt. Windows remembers every drive it ever mounted, even if you wipe all traces from the device manager with all hidden devices fully displayed.

As always, don't forget that anything done within windows (and linux) will (most of the time) need to be done with an administrative account and/or elevated privileges.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #23
44ml

@jmbach,
I did a full restore from DvrBARS to the 2TB drive using a factory image. I then used JMFS to expand and super-size it. You mentioned that the minimum OS is version 20.3.8. Do I need to install this drive in my TiVo to make sure it is up to date before continuing?

When I run "hdparm ľN 3907008064 --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/sda", I get the following message (also from "hdparm ľN /dev/sda"):
Code:
Max sectors    = 18446744073321592384/3907029168(18446744073321613488?), HPA set
ting seems invalid
/dev/sda is my 2TB drive. Any idea what's going on here? My sector counts match the 7,814,037,168 & 3,907,029,168 you mentioned above.

Quote:
Next you want to copy blocks starting at block 12 for 1 block to 11, block 13 for 1 block to block 12, and block 15 for 1 block to block 13.
Is this copying from and to the 4TB drive? I understand this as copying block = 12, length = 1 block, to block = 11. Etc. Is that correct?

Quote:
Then you need to open the 2TB extended drive in iBored. Copy block 2 from the 2TB drive to block 15 of the 4TB drive.
Am I copying block = 2, length = 1 to block = 15, or block = (block 2 "first partition block"), length = (block 2 "partition block count") to (block 15 "first partition block")?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #24
jmbach

Quote:
@jmbach,
I did a full restore from DvrBARS to the 2TB drive using a factory image. I then used JMFS to expand and super-size it. You mentioned that the minimum OS is version 20.3.8. Do I need to install this drive in my TiVo to make sure it is up to date before continuing?
The TiVo should update automatically. But yes, if this is an old image, let it update and then check under system information for version number to make sure it is correct.

Quote:
When I run "hdparm –N 3907008064 --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/sda", I get the following message (also from "hdparm –N /dev/sda"):
Code:
Max sectors    = 18446744073321592384/3907029168(18446744073321613488?), HPA set
ting seems invalid
/dev/sda is my 2TB drive. Any idea what's going on here? My sector counts match the 7,814,037,168 & 3,907,029,168 you mentioned above.
Is the drive connected via a SATA or eSata cable. I usually see this when the drive is connected via USB.

Quote:
Is this copying from and to the 4TB drive? I understand this as copying block = 12, length = 1 block, to block = 11. Etc. Is that correct?
Yes

Quote:
Am I copying block = 2, length = 1 to block = 15, or block = (block 2 "first partition block"), length = (block 2 "partition block count") to (block 15 "first partition block")?
The former. Once the block is copied to block 15, you will then modify the values inside block 15 as indicated.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #25
44ml

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Is the drive connected via a SATA or eSata cable. I usually see this when the drive is connected via USB.
It was connected via USB when I did the DvrBARS restore and the iBored copies between the 2 drives. I only have 2 SATA ports on board, and windows runs off an SATA drive. Both the 4TB and 2TB were connected via SATA when I ran hdparm.

I have now started over. I restored the factory image to the 2TB drive, expanded, and supersized it. I then installed the drive in my TiVo and let it do the update. I did this without my cable card in and didn't active it so that I might be able to get an image that is useful to others if this process does require the updated OS be done first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ml
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach
That is not a bad idea. Might be able to create a 2TB base image people can use to expand to 4TB. Hmm. Have to see how DvrBARS deals with a highly modified image.
I'm willing to try anything/everything. Should I try doing the iBored modifications to the 2TB drive then try making a DvrBARS backup prior to the hdparm/mfsadd/mfslayout steps? How about just mounting the VHD in windows and modifying it in iBored?

@ggieseke, do you think this might work with the current version of DvrBARS?

I read somewhere that Farstone TotalRecovery Pro will work with TiVo hard drives. I also understand that the 14-day free trial isn't crippled in any way. It can make physical to VMware/Hyper-v (P2V) backup images that I'm guessing are in VMDK format. They support "4TB and bigger" drives. When I get the 4TB working, I'll try making a P2V image and see if it works and how big the final image is.

How does the format button on the front of my Premiere work? If I press it will it restore to a factory image with the updated OS? Does it work with 2TB and 4TB drives? Ideally, I'd like to create a factory 4TB VMDK image that others can use with the trial of TotalRecovery to simplify everything.

@ggieseke, DvrBARS has been working great for the most part, I just have some user friendly suggestions for future versions.
1 - When I first ran it on my laptop, I got an error message about the screen resolution. It let me proceed and was only slightly out of the visible area. I don't have the screen resolution here, but it isn't really small. I don't see anything that requires that much screen height.
2 - Prior to my second attempt at everything, I managed to take the drive "Offline" in Windows Disk Management. It allowed me to make a backup, but gave me a 0x00000013 (not sure of how many 0s there were) "WriteFile" error when I attempted to restore. Hopefully that helps you make the error message a little more helpful.

If there is anything that needs to be beta tested or just ideas you guys would like to try, I'm happy to give back. I have 320GB, 1TB, 2TB, & 4TB drives that I can play with (at least until I put the 4TB in my TiVo).
Old 02-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #26
jmbach

Quote:
It was connected via USB when I did the DvrBARS restore and the iBored copies between the 2 drives. I only have 2 SATA ports on board, and windows runs off an SATA drive. Both the 4TB and 2TB were connected via SATA when I ran hdparm.
The 2TB drive needs to be connected to the SATA connector when running hdparm. However, if you are getting that invalid sector count, might need another computer to run it on.

Quote:
I'm willing to try anything/everything. Should I try doing the iBored modifications to the 2TB drive then try making a DvrBARS backup prior to the hdparm/mfsadd/mfslayout steps? How about just mounting the VHD in windows and modifying it in iBored?
You can mount the VHD in windows and then use iBored to modify it.

Quote:
How does the format button on the front of my Premiere work? If I press it will it restore to a factory image with the updated OS? Does it work with 2TB and 4TB drives? Ideally, I'd like to create a factory 4TB VMDK image that others can use with the trial of TotalRecovery to simplify everything.
The Format button changes between the video formats (480i, 480p,...)
Old 02-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #27
44ml

Quote:
The 2TB drive needs to be connected to the SATA connector when running hdparm. However, if you are getting that invalid sector count, might need another computer to run it on.
If I put my PCI SATA controller in that computer, do you think that would work or is it more the computer that is causing the problem?

Quote:
The Format button changes between the video formats (480i, 480p,...)
I feel dumb. For the last 3 years I've wondered why there's no power button, but there is a button to erase everything. I guess "format" doesn't mean the same thing to most people.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #28
ggieseke

Quote:

@ggieseke, do you think this might work with the current version of DvrBARS?.
You can only back it up while it's still a 2TB drive. Once it crosses that limit DvrBARS is useless. It was written before 3TB or 4TB drives would even boot in a Premiere. The VHD file format is the limiting factor.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #29
jmbach

For those who are interested, I have revised the procedure. It keeps partition 10 intact to work better with the tools out there.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 PM   #30
44ml

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
You can only back it up while it's still a 2TB drive. Once it crosses that limit DvrBARS is useless. It was written before 3TB or 4TB drives would even boot in a Premiere. The VHD file format is the limiting factor.
I just did a modified backup and quick restore of a 4TB image in DvrBARS and it worked fine. I'm completely erasing the drive now. I'll try another restore in the morning to double check it.

The drive itself is setup the way jmbach explains above. The OS is moved to the middle for faster seek times. All of the MFS partitions are in multiples of 1024 blocks since anything short of that isn't used. Partitions 2 & 5 have been resized to 8 blocks. I was told by jmbach that this will give it 4k alignment.

The only reservation I have about sharing this image is the possibility of information about my TiVo being on the drive. I started with a factory image, but I had to put it in my machine to perform the OS upgrade. Does TiVo write anything to the disk about my machine? If so, is there a way to remove it? Which partition(s) is the upgraded OS on? Are new premieres shipping with the latest OS? If so, does anyone have a DvrBARS backup of that?