TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
dlee0708

About to get Verizon Fios Triple play with a Roamio Plus. Any tips?

So I currently have DirectTV and DirectTVs DVR and then Time Warner for Internet and Phone.

I plan to take advantage of Verizon FIOS Triple Play FIOS and get a Roamio Plus Tivo and take advantage of the Verizon Triple play special running out on January 18th 2014.

From the boards I see that I need to watch out for Verizon not getting me the $300 Visa Prepaid Card that comes with the Triple Play bundle, but other than that it seems I should be good.

I want to keep my current phone number, which by preliminary going thru order process it appears the number can be used.

It appears that getting the cable card to work isn't as bad as apparently it is with Time Warner it seems from the boards (wow, saw a lot of horror stories with Time Warner).

So my plan is:

1. Go online and order the Verizon Triple play (take screen shots along the way showing all the credits etc, especially the $300 Prepaid Card if charges are not what I expected).
2. Get a Roamio Tivo Plus from Best Buy.
3. Wait for Verizon to do the install with the Cable Card and Tivo.
4. Cancel my Time Warner account.
5. Cancel my DirectTV (may wait a little to watch or transfer what I have recorded).

Am I missing anything I should watch out for.
dlee0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
True Colors

FIOS works great with Tivo. Really great.

When the FIOS technician shows up for your install, ask him to do your internet service before he activates the TV service.

Also, on the pricing, i dont know what offers are currently available, but back at one time you could get a 300 dollar rebate card OR an extra discount off of your monthly bill. The extra discout added up to more than 300 bucks.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
FIOS works great with Tivo. Really great.

When the FIOS technician shows up for your install, ask him to do your internet service before he activates the TV service.

TC
Thanks, that is the kind of info I am looking for, and I can see why this is necessary with a Tivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post

Also, on the pricing, i dont know what offers are currently available, but back at one time you could get a 300 dollar rebate card OR an extra discount off of your monthly bill. The extra discout added up to more than 300 bucks.

TC
Don't think I can get that option since I have to do it online and it doesn't give that option.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
True Colors

Your list looks good to me.

You want the FIOS internet working first so that your new Roamio can connect to it while your TV service is being set up.

The install of the cable card is extremely simple. In fact, the technician simply pops it into the Roamio then he calls FIOS tech support and tells him to pair it.

Also, in case you ever have to replace your cable card, or if you ever decide to add an extra Tivo then you can do the exact same thing without even having a technician come out. It could not be easier.

When the FIOS technician comes to your house he should give you a multistream card--also called an "M" card. You do not want a single stream cable card, aka, an "S" card. They may not even make the S cards anymore.

Do not cut off your existing services until AFTER the fios service is up and running well.There are actually a few good reasons for that. FYI, it is not necessary for you to notify your old service providers in advance that you are leaving them.

For your home phone number transfer request, you will need to provide to Verizon the account information for your old phone provider. You will give them your Time Warner account number, and also, if you do have any password or PIN number set up when you call into TW customer service then you will provide that as well.

As soon as your FIOS phone service is set up you should be able to make outgoing phone calls right away. The incoming calls can sometimes take up to a week for someone to call your house phone number and for it to start ringing your Verizon service.

I have had several different types of cable service with Tivo. Verizon FIOS is the best BY FAR.

TC

Last edited by True Colors : 01-17-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
miketx

Hi deelee....I'm just up 121 from you. I just had Fios installed 2 weeks ago.....you've got the right list. You'll get a postcard in the mail a week or two after the install with your $300 "notification" info (ie the postcard just says your rebate card is "on the way" and how to check the status).

I'm now considering Tivo....don't really care for the Verizon DVR/STBs. Once I receive my Tivos (I'm looking at a Plus, and 3 Minis), do I just call Verizon to cancel/return my VZ boxes and order a Cablecard? Do I have to get a tech to come install/activate the Cablecard? Seems silly....it's plug and play except for activation.

I'm also wondering if I can get my "4th TV install fee" back, since I wouldn't be using their boxes anymore. Probably not.
miketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
True Colors

mike.... i live in the dallas area as well

I reccomend that you do NOT call verizon over the phone to order cable cards and return equipment.

some of the verizon retail stores support FIOS but others do not. Find yourself a store that does.

You should go to a FIOS store and pick up a multistream card. You take it home and pop it into your Tivo. Under normal circumstances you do NOT need any technician to come to your house. You simply call Verizon tech support yourself and tell them to pair the card for you. The tech rep should easily be able to assist you with this right over the phone. If not then you should hang up and call back to get another agent.

After your Tivo is running smoothly then you can round up the verizon STB boxes that you no longer want and you head back to the Vz store to drop them off. At that point verizon will stop charging you for the STBs and they will start charging you for your cable card, which will be a much cheaper deal for you.

TC
Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
sangs

Also, if you subscribe to HBO and/or Cinemax, your Cable Card will have to be "manually validated" in order for those channels to work properly. Otherwise, you'll just get a Tivo system splash screen telling you to call to activate the CC. It's pretty painless process if you find the right person to do it. They seem to have a better grasp of it using the Live Chat function on the web site. That's been my experience anyway.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
siratfus

In case you get a lazy employee, when you meet him/her, ask how long will it take? Will this be done in less than an hour? Just put them under the gun. Install the cards yourself if you're not required to have the technician at your house. When you pick up your card at your local verizon, it'll come with instructions. My house already had fios. But I was required to have a technician, because we were switching owners. The guy went in and out of the truck and it took all day. We realize he was just killing time cause he doesn't want another assignment. When he was done, we left the house and still saw the fios truck parked outside. He came like at 11 am and was done around 4pm.
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
miketx

Thanks True Colors.

sangs....do you have a similar id on Verizon forums? I think I may have had a discussion with you recently (I was complaining about the VZ STBs and pause functionality).

Siratfus....your advice is probably for deelee, but I had a pretty good technician......but I'll add that I was prepared for install: I know every cable/wiring drop in my house (ran most of it myself) and knew exactly how I wanted it connected. He had it easy and was done in about 2.5 hrs (part of which was drilling through my brick into my garage, to install the OTN in the garage.)
miketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketx View Post
Thanks True Colors.

sangs....do you have a similar id on Verizon forums? I think I may have had a discussion with you recently (I was complaining about the VZ STBs and pause functionality).

Siratfus....your advice is probably for deelee, but I had a pretty good technician......but I'll add that I was prepared for install: I know every cable/wiring drop in my house (ran most of it myself) and knew exactly how I wanted it connected. He had it easy and was done in about 2.5 hrs (part of which was drilling through my brick into my garage, to install the OTN in the garage.)
Yeah, my guy was a phony. All drops were in place. No drilling, no nothing. Yet he took all day.
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
Also, if you subscribe to HBO and/or Cinemax, your Cable Card will have to be "manually validated" in order for those channels to work properly. Otherwise, you'll just get a Tivo system splash screen telling you to call to activate the CC. It's pretty painless process if you find the right person to do it. They seem to have a better grasp of it using the Live Chat function on the web site. That's been my experience anyway.
This.

Definitely use the keywords "manual validation". That seems to make the process much more straightforward for the Verizon rep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Marc : 01-17-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketx View Post
Thanks True Colors.

Indeed I do. Glad you took my advice. Now, if it were that easy convincing the wife to do things...
Old 01-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
BigJimOutlaw

Run Guided Setup before Verizon gets there. When asked about the cablecard during Guided Setup, select "install it later". Force several connections to get the latest software and guide data.

This way, the installer won't be waiting on the Tivo to do all its initial setting up (easily over an hour).

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 01-17-2014 at 03:14 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
mr.unnatural

You can manually activate your cablecard over the phone via their automated menu system and never have to speak with a CSR or technician. Call 1-888-897-7499 to activate the card. Make sure you have the Cablecard ID, Host ID, and Data number from the cablecard setup screen on the Tivo. You punch them in on the phone using the keypad when prompted. You should see the card activated within 30 minutes. Mine only took a couple of minutes before I was receiving FIOS channels. I've activated several cards on FIOS and never had to speak to a live person.

Installing FIOS for the first time can take up to four hours and maybe slightly longer if you need your cablecards activated. They have to run the fiber optic line from the street, install the ONT, mount the backup battery next to a power source and connect it to the ONT, install the router, run any coax and ethernet cables, interface the ONT with your land line phones, and activate and test the system. I had all of my coax lines run to a central location where the ONT was installed as well as my ethernet drops. It still can take several hours to get it setup. The installer that was said to be "phony" was just doing the job right. If your installer takes less than two hours then I'd be suspect of the installation. Granted, I had FIOS installed when it was first rolled out in my area so the installers were still a little green, but they definitely knew their stuff and had all the right answers for any questions I posed to them.

Have the installer activate the RJ45 ethernet port on the ONT so you have the option of installing your own router. It's not normally activated when the system is installed. The ethernet is transmitted via the coax to the Actiontek router by default where it is then distributed either wirelessly via the router or via hardwired connection using the ports on the router. If you have any Verizon set top boxes you still need the coax connection to the router so they get guide data. By activating the ethernet port on the ONT you can connect any router via ethernet cable instead of the coax.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
You can manually activate your cablecard over the phone via their automated menu system and never have to speak with a CSR or technician. Call 1-888-897-7499 to activate the card. Make sure you have the Cablecard ID, Host ID, and Data number from the cablecard setup screen on the Tivo. You punch them in on the phone using the keypad when prompted. You should see the card activated within 30 minutes. Mine only took a couple of minutes before I was receiving FIOS channels. I've activated several cards on FIOS and never had to speak to a live person.
Again, this only applies if you do not subscribe to HBO and/or Cinemax. If you subscribe to those channels, you will have to interact with somebody from FiOS - whether by phone or Live Chat - in order to get the cable card manually validated. Otherwise, you won't receive the channels. (You can activate the channel following these steps before you get it manually validated though. You'll receive all the other channels except HBO, Cinemax and Channel 131.)
Old 01-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #16
mr.unnatural

I don't know why that would make any difference, but I'll take your word for it. I don't subscribe to any premium channels anymore so I can't confirm or deny that this is true. In theory, activating a cablecard should allow you to get all channels you're subscribed to. I'd be curious to know what extra steps Verizon might be performing in order to activate HBO or any other affected channels.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #17
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I don't know why that would make any difference, but I'll take your word for it. I don't subscribe to any premium channels anymore so I can't confirm or deny that this is true. In theory, activating a cablecard should allow you to get all channels you're subscribed to. I'd be curious to know what extra steps Verizon might be performing in order to activate HBO or any other affected channels.
It has something to do with the copy protection implemented on HBO and Cinemax, that's really all I know. But you need to do this extra step with FiOS. (Not sure about other providers.) Apparently it was a pain in the beginning, but as the FiOS people have become more familiar with the terminology and implementation of cable cards, it's become a smoother process for the most part.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #18
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
At least in my area, for FiOS, the card only has to be paired to the device to get premium channels - and that is a relatively recent requirement. When I first got FiOS there was no pairing needed (and also no copy protection on premium channels), so you could just swap cards between devices without doing anything else.

Maybe a year ago, they sent me a letter and I had to go online to pair the cards. You should save this letter because there is an "activation code" on it that you will need if you ever want to do "self serve" pairing on the web again. I found that out the hard way when I got a Roamio Pro last week and swapped the card from my Premiere. I was able to get most channels but not premiums. I did an online chat (even at 1:30am EST, kudos for that), and the guy re-paired it for me, it worked immediately and was completely painless.

When I had Comcast, OTOH, I had several long and painful pairing misadventures...
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #19
mr.unnatural

The activation code you receive with your cablecard expires after a period of time. I know because I tried using it to activate a card I received a couple of years ago that was in my Ceton InfiniTV4 in a new InfiniTV 6 and it would not recognize the code as being valid. I ended up doing it over the phone using the automated system via the toll free number I posted earlier and it worked perfectly.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #20
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's fairly simple.

Activation of the cable card online will get you everything except premium channels such as HBO. For that I did an online chat to pair it.

My DirecTV to FiOS experience link see below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #21
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
mr. unnatural - that's good to know; of course I spent longer looking for that letter than it took to actually get the Verizon tech to pair it. Wouldn't have done me any good regardless...
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #22
dlee0708

Re: Should I activate Tivo Service. WAS: About to get Verizon Fios Triple play with a

Thanks for all the input everyone. This is a wealth of information.

I think I am all set for them to come in tomorrow and set me up (the Fiber was brought to the garage wall this morning).

I have the Tivo Roamio all set up ready and it is asking to Activate the Tivo Service. I plan on getting Lifetime. I have had Tivos in the past and my mom currently has a Tivo Premiere so I am fairly sure I will want to go thru with this.

So should I go ahead and Activate the Tivo Service now or wait till everything is working.

The only reason I haven't activated is in case something goes wrong and I need a new Tivo which I can't imagine. I assume Verizon doesn't need it Activated to do what they need.

Any thoughts, Pro's, Con's?

-Don

Last edited by dlee0708 : 01-21-2014 at 04:30 PM.