TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
jscozz

Netflix on Tivo... anyone like it?

Frustrating. Every time my wife and I go to look for a movie to watch on Netflix via Roamio. It seems like a terrible user interface. Am I missing something, or is this the general consensus?

And the addition of profiles... actually terrible! It was better off when it just went to the main profile and had no other option. I could set it for Kids and they were fine. My wife and I could have our profile online and that was that. Now anyone can pick any profile on Tivo, and have access to any movies they want. Was anyone thinking when they added profile support? Why the heck isn't NetFlix providing PIN access to each profile and Tivo supporting it in the app?

Am I missing something or is it just this bad?
jscozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
rainwater

I think it is pretty good. It it the same interface as on my Xbox and Roku so using any of them is very consistent with each other. I use profiles and don't mind the prompt. It may be like the Netflix kids prompt and go away after it learns who you are.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:40 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

This is the UI Netflix it standardizing on almost all devices going forward. I think it works fine.

One hint Netflix search is integrated into TiVo search so you can use the regular TiVo search to find something and then if it's on Netflix it will have a little Netflix icon and an option that will launch the app and start playing that program.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

I have begun using only my Roamio for Netflix, although we have a Roku as well. I like having control of the Netflix app with the TiVo remote.

Another way to manipulate the TiVo Netflix UI is to use a web browser on Netflix to add items to your list, then they are right there on TiVo.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
senorgregster

I really dislike the new Netflix on all devices. Thanks to glasses I have excellent vision and still struggle to read the information so I dread to think how others with inferior vision feel. Hate the autoplay feature. Hate the controls. I do like profiles but you are right they need pin-access control.

OT - the new youtube apps on all devices sucks as well.
senorgregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Everyone has an opinion.

I love the new interface. Much much faster and less prone to lock ups. Autoplay rocks for bulk-watching a series, keeps your place and does not need me to baby sit.

Enhancements would be ok, pin access is fine, but nothing I would need personally. I have not used profiles yet as they were here/gone and are not applicable to my older box.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
zalusky

The one problem I have is periodic video blackouts for 1 or 2 seconds. Audio is fine.
I never see this behavior on my Apple TV.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
mjgraves

We just upgraded from (2) TivoHD to a Roamio Plus and a Mini. Have nee using it to watch Netflix a lot in recent weeks. Very happy with the improved UI and the speed of operation. Also very pleased with the SuperHD feed from Netflix. Roamio receives a 1080p stream where TivoHD was usually 720p. FWIW, we have Comcast internet at 35 x 5 mbps.

Tivo User since 2001
Current: Roamio Plus + Mini
Past: (2) TivoHD, (3) Tivo Series 1-2, (1) Slide Remote
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mjgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorgregster View Post
I really dislike the new Netflix on all devices. Thanks to glasses I have excellent vision and still struggle to read the information so I dread to think how others with inferior vision feel. Hate the autoplay feature. Hate the controls. I do like profiles but you are right they need pin-access control.

OT - the new youtube apps on all devices sucks as well.
I've not had any problems reading the text. Even on a smaller 40" TV my GF has, the text seems very legible from 10 or 12 feet away. My vision is around 20/30. I can view it without issue from even farther away. If anything the text seems on the larger side to me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
The one problem I have is periodic video blackouts for 1 or 2 seconds. Audio is fine.
I never see this behavior on my Apple TV.
That's likely your TV attempting to adjust to a change in resolution or frame rate due to the network lagging. If you set your TiVo to only output one resolution then it wont do this.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
RichieR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's likely your TV attempting to adjust to a change in resolution or frame rate due to the network lagging. If you set your TiVo to only output one resolution then it wont do this.
Thanks for that tip! I was wondering why these video blackouts kept happening. Quick followup question for you, as my Samsung LED handles all formats, would you set TIVO to 1080p then?
RichieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
moyekj

No, I don't like it.... I LOVE it. My biggest problem is my family is using Netflix so much with superHD encodes that we are going way over our Cox ISP 250GB cap each month now, so I have to tell family members to stop watching Netflix so much. (I know you can change your account quality preferences but I like best quality possible and superHD streams look better than most of my Cox "HD" channels). So far Cox has only sent emails warning us when we go over the limit, but hasn't otherwise charged extra or throttled our service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
jmpage2

I am quite happy with the new Netflix on the Roamio and Mini, my only issue would be that I don't like some of the control/zoom layout things, for example, once an episode ends, during the credits when it gets minimized into a PiP window I can't re-select it.

We almost never used Netflix on the TiVoHD or Premiere because it was torture. We now use it on the Roamio at least a few times a week, catching up on lots and lots of shows and the quality is very good.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #14
anthonymoody

Quote:
This is the UI Netflix it standardizing on almost all devices going forward. I think it works fine.

One hint Netflix search is integrated into TiVo search so you can use the regular TiVo search to find something and then if it's on Netflix it will have a little Netflix icon and an option that will launch the app and start playing that program.
The integrated search is wonderful. It'd be even better if it also had Amazon (streaming) in its search results. Bt since we don't get amazon streaming...

I like the profiles interface a ton, but I can understand a desire for PIN control. That said, the prior Kids vs not-Kids could easily be switched/chosen as well, so I'm not sure why anyone would single the new UI out for this.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #15
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I am quite happy with the new Netflix on the Roamio and Mini, my only issue would be that I don't like some of the control/zoom layout things, for example, once an episode ends, during the credits when it gets minimized into a PiP window I can't re-select it.
Left-arrow, up, up (to get the cursor into the PIP credits) and then select (I think) will bring back the full screen credits and "next episode" highlights.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #16
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Left-arrow, up, up (to get the cursor into the PIP credits) and then select (I think) will bring back the full screen credits and "next episode" highlights.
Before the update with profiles, you couldn't zoom back in with that method but it seems they fixed it recently and it works fine.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #17
laria
Librocubicularist

It's fine... I don't like or dislike it specifically on the TiVo. It looks just like it does on all our other devices. It works.

What I do hate is something that I hate about it on all platforms. Stop asking me if I want Netflix or Netflix Kids! I don't have any kids, I don't ever want the kids profile!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #18
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
It's fine... I don't like or dislike it specifically on the TiVo. It looks just like it does on all our other devices. It works.

What I do hate is something that I hate about it on all platforms. Stop asking me if I want Netflix or Netflix Kids! I don't have any kids, I don't ever want the kids profile!
I haven't been asked in ages. It generally learns and stops asking. Perhaps you watch a lot of kids content and thinks it needs to keep asking.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #19
Chuckmeister

Love the UI on the Roamio...now use it as my first choice over my Samsung Blu-Ray Player.
But would love it better if they gave the option to remove asking for Netflix Kids.

Tivo Roamio (Upgraded to 3TB)
Tivo Mini
Tivo Premiere4
Networked to 3 HDTV's for a True Sports Watching Experience
Chuckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

One thing I don't like is the inability to manually filter content. You can search and you can look through their long list of presented categories, but in the iPad app and on the website you can actually filter the list manually by picking a category from the menu at the top. I don't see a way to do that in the TV based apps.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #21
JohnnyO
Crimper

I really like it over the previous UI. Much more importantly, it now has Dolby surround sound audio! The lack of Dolby Surround in the TiVo Netflix client is the main reason I purchased an Apple TV a year or so ago.

I now prefer the TiVo Netflix App over the Apple TV Netflix App.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #22
jscozz

Wow.. I did not expect so many replied...

I think my main two reasons for being frustrated with the interface are:
1) As Dan said, the lack of filtering... my wife and I have sate down on numerous occasions, wanting to watch a movie but looking for some suggestions... scrolling through the Netflix interface for suggestions is terrible... if there were more filter criteria and a better way to see matching suggestions, that would be big.
23) Being able to pick any profile and watch any movie means that netflix parental controls are basically useless.
3) I don't need my kids seeing the history of what my wife and I have watched... right now they can just pick any profile and see the history.

these are just basic things that I would think they would want to get right...
jscozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #23
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
I really like it over the previous UI. Much more importantly, it now has Dolby surround sound audio! The lack of Dolby Surround in the TiVo Netflix client is the main reason I purchased an Apple TV a year or so ago.

I now prefer the TiVo Netflix App over the Apple TV Netflix App.
The Roamio Netflix interface is a great BUT if I am recording anything on my Roamio sometimes the Roamio re-boots when watching Netflix, screws up my recording, so now if I am recording, I use another Roamio or my "Smart" TV itself although it does not have as good an interface as the Roamio Plus has.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #24
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieR View Post
Thanks for that tip! I was wondering why these video blackouts kept happening. Quick followup question for you, as my Samsung LED handles all formats, would you set TIVO to 1080p then?
That's how I have mine set. Although if you enable the 1080p/24 passthrough mode you can still have the same problem if the stream drops from superHD to just standard HD.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #25
zalusky

Quote:
Done - thanks!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #26
bodosom
Just another tivotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscozz View Post
It seems like a terrible user interface.
I prefer the current "Cinema" interface to both the Apple TV and old Netflix style.

Of course I usually use a tablet to select what to watch and then send the play request to the TiVo.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #27
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I haven't been asked in ages. It generally learns and stops asking. Perhaps you watch a lot of kids content and thinks it needs to keep asking.
I don't think that's it. I mainly watch Breaking Bad, 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, and Mad Men on there.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #28
takeagabu

I loved having the kid mode, and missed it when we switched over to the profiles...until I realized that you can still go into kid mode.

When you get into a profile, press up, and it pulls up a bunch of options including kid mode, menu, switching profiles...
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #29
JC Fedorczyk

Has the error and or reboot while watching netflix been corrected?
JC Fedorczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #30
senorgregster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've not had any problems reading the text. Even on a smaller 40" TV my GF has, the text seems very legible from 10 or 12 feet away. My vision is around 20/30. I can view it without issue from even farther away. If anything the text seems on the larger side to me.
"Smaller 40" - my how things have changed. It is OK on my 40" too but anything smaller (e.g. small bedroom TV) and text becomes very difficult to read whereas before it was easy. Everyone doesn't have giant TVs.
senorgregster is offline   Reply With Quote