TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
rocket777

Thumbs down loses playback position, won't resume play if near live, repeatable

If I'm recording and watching a show which reaches the live position and I switch to playing another show and later come back my tivo won't resume play from the last postion, only from the beginning.

I found I can repeat this at will. Here's the sequence.

Play a show that is still recording, skip ahead to the live position or within some point close to live (had it fail from as far as 5-6 minutes behind). Let it keep playing from that point or hit pause.

Then hit the tivo button twice to get to myshows, select some other show, start playing it, after a few seconds, hit tivo twice, select the first show again, and only play is an option. I just repeated this 4 times.

I'm still looking for some sequence to break out of this, but the only time it worked correctly I had to skip back about 15 minutes from the live position to get it to resume properly (skipped back to the last tickmark).

I don't know if this fails on all types of shows or setups. In my case it was a football game that was set to record 1 1/2 hours extra and was about 2-3 hours into the game.

This occurs on my 4 tuner roamio.

Update:
(after running kmttg to see what it thought of this show, I clicked on the show, and it reported 4 times on the status of the show - after refreshing, it didn't do this and then the problem stopped on my tivo as well. So, now it's no longer repeatable on this show. All I can think of is I had resumed several times on this show before I noticed the problem the first time)

Last edited by rocket777 : 01-19-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: change in behavior
rocket777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
dbattaglia001

I have long noticed this bug that is annoying especially for watching sporting events. If show is still recording and I pause the sporting event, watch something else already recorded and then go back to sporting event, the majority of time it starts at beginning. I try to minimize this impact by pausing at a tick mark before watching something else so it's easy to get back to where I left off.

I think this bug is well known and commented on this forum for a long time but unfortunately tivo hasn't gotten around to fixing it.
dbattaglia001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just pause the show while watching. I did this last night with the NFC Championship game. I started watching and caught up to live TV, so I paused it. I watched some other content for an hour, and when I came back to that channel an hour later it was still paused at the point from before. So I started watching again so I could skip over all of the extraneous stuff.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
tatergator1

I've found Pause points will only stick as long as it's still recording the program when you come back to it.

My work-around is to either use the Live TV button to cycle to the tuner I want or use the info button and then select the tuner from the list. This will get you back to where you paused. Trying to come back into a show via My Shows that is still recording will always put you back a the beginning, in my experience.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
rocket777

Lightbulb

As I was trying to pinpoint a repeatable error, so tivo could possibly fix the problem, I was able to repeat it at least 5 times in a row.

After I posted, I ran the kmttg program which can display pause points on shows. I was curious to see what it had to say about it. When I first selected the show from that program, it listed the info about that show 4 separate times, although I had only clicked once . A second click, only produced the info once- as though the reporting process produced a cleanup. I don't know enough about that program to tell if it glitched or the tivo glitched. But once I had done that, the problem could no longer be repeated. Coincidence?

If I were to guess, I would think that the problem is that there are somehow multiple records being saved inappropriately in the tivo, as reported by kmttg, and one or more of these don't have the pause point set. The tivo would likely only try to set it once, leaving the others unset (perhaps the first one in a list), but one of the unset records gets selected when trying to resume (perhaps by selecting from the other end of a list). It's just a guess, but after a career in programming, I can attest to having made this sort of programming error more than once.

I had the problem with both football games yesterday. One other similarity, is that in both cases I first had the problem near the end of the game after previously resuming successfully. When I checked just now, it seems that the problem first occurred into the extra time I had for recording the program. Perhaps that's another requirement to force this problem to re-occur. I've never had this on any other type of show, and only in sports do I add extra time.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
mattack

If you are in *LIVE TV*, and not watching the show *from the now playing list*, it has ALWAYS worked this way.

i.e. you are watching live tv, and it starts recording the same tuner.. You're not really "Watching the show".. you're still "watching live TV" that happens to be recording.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
I have long noticed this bug that is annoying especially for watching sporting events. If show is still recording and I pause the sporting event, watch something else already recorded and then go back to sporting event, the majority of time it starts at beginning. I try to minimize this impact by pausing at a tick mark before watching something else so it's easy to get back to where I left off.

I think this bug is well known and commented on this forum for a long time but unfortunately tivo hasn't gotten around to fixing it.
Me too... I never noticed this with my Series III, but with the Roamio I have seen it many times... Very annoying.
fletchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
rocket777

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
If you are in *LIVE TV*, and not watching the show *from the now playing list*, it has ALWAYS worked this way.

i.e. you are watching live tv, and it starts recording the same tuner.. You're not really "Watching the show".. you're still "watching live TV" that happens to be recording.
LIVE TV??? What's that? Seriously, though, while I've only been using a tivo for 3 months, I had been an early adopter of dvrs on direct-tv (no not the direct-tivo which back then still only had 1 tuner). In 13 years of that dvr use, I never went to live tv mode. I guess I just got used to everything working correctly. And who'd of thunk it, from a dvr made by microsoft. It's no wonder they orphaned it in 2003, it certainly was not the usual MS stuff. It just worked.

Using the roamio, I feel like I'm a beta tester.