Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #31
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
Im looking in the inside of my Romeo basic right now. I operate permanently with lid off because it runs cooler and quiter this way. I see the Wireless lan module attached with a screw and it appears it would snap right off. I'd like to do this since I don't use the WiFi and I'm paranoid about WiFi signals. can I get confirmation this snaps of as easily as it looks without damage?
Are you paranoid about Wi-Fi cancer, or is it something else?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #32
aaronwt
HD Addict

Extraneous RF signals are everywhere. Even without man made devices.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #33
lessd

This thread should get on the John Stewart TV show

Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
ltxi

Fun for all and all for fun.....but I tell you this. My new Asus router introduces above white noise crap into my adjacent computer's flat panel sound bar unless the antennas and/or display are positioned just right.

No one needs more unnecessary/extraneous 2.4 Ghz radiation running around in one's house.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #35
leiff

in all honesty I get headaches from WiFi signals believe me or not, tis the truth, so yes id like to take module out of my Romeo basic.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #36
dahacker

Quote:
in all honesty I get headaches from WiFi signals believe me or not, tis the truth, so yes id like to take module out of my Romeo basic.
Sorry to hear that. If I had EM sensitivity, I would definitely already have a spectrum analyzer and would certainly know full well if the Roamio WiFi transmitter were on or not before having to clip it.

Also, if you have EM sensitivity, I don't think taking the cover off the Roamio is helping you any.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #37
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
....... True audiophiles are different than most people.
There's probably a government grant to some university to study these brain differences. Well worth the additional charge to our Chinese credit card.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #38
DigitalDawn

1"s and 0's are 1's and 0's.

Since it's analog, one could make a case for higher-end speaker wire. Not sure the rate of return for $1000 per foot vs. $5.00 per foot makes sense. However, I would be open to a blind A/B test to confirm.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #39
leiff

the green board raised from the main board is the WiFi module. you can see it is attached by one screw and 1 black piece of plastic in the far corner. im hoping the black piece can be easily detached after screw is removed and the moduale can be safely removed and reattached later if I want to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1218131541.jpg (39.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 12-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #40
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Fun for all and all for fun.....but I tell you this. My new Asus router introduces above white noise crap into my adjacent computer's flat panel sound bar unless the antennas and/or display are positioned just right.

No one needs more unnecessary/extraneous 2.4 Ghz radiation running around in one's house.
It can't be the 2.4 GHz signal. That would be far, far, far too high-pitched to hear.

More likely it's a faulty power supply in the router. That will put out RF in a range that you could hear when it's picked up by other equipment. Lots of power supplies put out all sorts of noise. Even though switched-mode power supplies should normally switch on and off at a frequency too high to hear (50 kHz or more) you can still often get harmonics off them in an audible range. (And sometimes they feed it back into the mains supply, affecting anything on the same circuit, even if the RF is shielded properly.)
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #41
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post
It can't be the 2.4 GHz signal. That would be far, far, far too high-pitched to hear.

More likely it's a faulty power supply in the router. That will put out RF in a range that you could hear when it's picked up by other equipment. Lots of power supplies put out all sorts of noise. Even though switched-mode power supplies should normally switch on and off at a frequency too high to hear (50 kHz or more) you can still often get harmonics off them in an audible range. (And sometimes they feed it back into the mains supply, affecting anything on the same circuit, even if the RF is shielded properly.)
I didn't say, nor even suggest, it was audio frequency interference now did I?

Last edited by ltxi : 12-19-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #42
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
Or are you one of those Audiophiles that chases the unobtainable theoretical performance by buying all kinds of crazy cables and connectors
Off topic, but that reminds me of a friend who spent $100 for a special shielded A/C power cord made with 10ga wire for his 25 watt tube amp, to make sure he got ALL the power to his amplifier. It never crossed his mind that the other 75' of wire from the outlet to the breaker box was 14ga unshielded romex running through the walls
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #43
ferrumpneuma
fading fast

Quote:

Quote:
I didn't say, nor even suggest, it was audio interference now did I?
You didn't?
ferrumpneuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #44
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Off topic, but that reminds me of a friend who spent $100 for a special shielded A/C power cord made with 10ga wire for his 25 watt tube amp, to make sure he got ALL the power to his amplifier. It never crossed his mind that the other 75' of wire from the outlet to the breaker box was 14ga unshielded romex running through the walls
In the old VCR days the tapes had some dumb ratings, like how many drop outs per hour, you could pay more for a tape that had 5 per hour than one that had 20 per hour, one could never see the difference with the low resolution you got with any normal tape. Today we have the power conditioner that costs $1500 or more and does not even have a UPS, my friend that has one has to keep resetting the trip for different outlets, his wife goes nuts when he is not home and part od the system does not work. But in their defense power conditioner do look cool.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #45
Latitude94941

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
A laptop running Wireshark is the only thing I can think of that would prove it one way or the other. Run a several hour capture and filter the results based on the MAC address of the WiFi card in the TiVo (it's printed on the card).
Thanks, this is helpful.
Latitude94941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #46
Latitude94941

Quote:
the green board raised from the main board is the WiFi module. you can see it is attached by one screw and 1 black piece of plastic in the far corner. im hoping the black piece can be easily detached after screw is removed and the moduale can be safely removed and reattached later if I want to
Thanks, Leiff. If you proceed with this, please let us know how it went. Also, did disconnecting the board end up tripping any of the Roamio's self diagnostics?
Old 12-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #47
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
... But in their defense power conditioner do look cool.
Cool costs money, I think on the really high end stuff you are paying more for aesthetics than anything else.

Back in my youth (damn I'm getting old) I bought a separate AMP and Pre-AMP, I went out and purchased a Hafler amp and pre-amp, talk about lack of aesthetics, the only light on the amp was on the power switch, the same was pretty much true on the pre-amp.

Other than taking up more space did it sound any better than a decent all in one receiver? I don't know but I liked it.
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #48
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrumpneuma View Post
You didn't?
audio frequency...I amended my post
Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #49
leiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude94941 View Post
Thanks, Leiff. If you proceed with this, please let us know how it went. Also, did disconnecting the board end up tripping any of the Roamio's self diagnostics?
Board snapped out easily after removing screw. didnt trigger anything. the only way I knew how to test the wifi was repeat guided set up. when I tried doing this and selecting wifi - Romeo locked up. I Then put the board back in, rebooted and selected wifi from guided setup and confirmed wifi was working again as it could see my network so i then removed board again. Ill be keeping wifi board out of my roamio basic for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #50
Latitude94941

Quote:
Board snapped out easily after removing screw. didnt trigger anything. the only way I knew how to test the wifi was repeat guided set up. when I tried doing this and selecting wifi - Romeo locked up. I Then put the board back in, rebooted and selected wifi from guided setup and confirmed wifi was working again as it could see my network so i then removed board again. Ill be keeping wifi board out of my roamio basic for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for giving this a try and reporting back. I'll be following in your footsteps as soon as I have the chance.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #51
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

While I'm not "worried" about it, I also have an interest in the matter, and appreciate those willing to see what happens, or doesn't happen.

I am thankful for not having to be the one to try it, just to see what happens, all of the time, for every matter.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #52
Latitude94941

For those that have been following along, I wanted to post this information which I received yesterday from Tivo Customer Support:

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. This is a response to the question you posed to us on reference number XXX. We apologies for the late response. Thanks to testing we have attempted on the TiVo unit we have confirmed that while the TiVo is using an Ethernet connection, the Internal Wireless device is disabled and sends no signal. During the Wireless connection, only communications with the router itself transpire, in any other mode it merely receives, not transmits. We hope that this has answered your questions, if you have any additional questions please feel free to contact our support:
Old 01-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #53
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude94941 View Post
For those that have been following along, I wanted to post this information which I received yesterday from Tivo Customer Support:

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. This is a response to the question you posed to us on reference number XXX. We apologies for the late response. Thanks to testing we have attempted on the TiVo unit we have confirmed that while the TiVo is using an Ethernet connection, the Internal Wireless device is disabled and sends no signal. During the Wireless connection, only communications with the router itself transpire, in any other mode it merely receives, not transmits. We hope that this has answered your questions, if you have any additional questions please feel free to contact our support:
of course I found out that this is not true... someplace I posted my issue with wireless, but in a nutshell I did the following:

1) initially setup the TiVo on WiFi
2) after the setup was done I moved to ethernet
3) found that the Roamio was bouncing back and forth between wired and wireless connections
4) disconnected the ethernet
5) gained control of the WiFi controls and programmed a bogus A/P name/password
6) reconnected the ethernet and lived happily ever after (as far as TiVo networking is concerned)

and this behavior was confirmed by somebody at TiVo

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #54
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
of course I found out that this is not true... someplace I posted my issue with wireless, but in a nutshell I did the following:

1) initially setup the TiVo on WiFi
2) after the setup was done I moved to ethernet
3) found that the Roamio was bouncing back and forth between wired and wireless connections
4) disconnected the ethernet
5) gained control of the WiFi controls and programmed a bogus A/P name/password
6) reconnected the ethernet and lived happily ever after (as far as TiVo networking is concerned)

and this behavior was confirmed by somebody at TiVo

-TL
I think some people have removed the Wi-Fi board in the Roamio itself without causing any problems, I am still not comfortable doing that as some future TiVo update software may look for that hardware and crash if it is not found.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #55
aaronwt
HD Addict

I can run my Romaio BAsic between a wired and wireless connection and it seems to work without issue. When an Ethernet cable is connected, in the network diagnostics area, it shows that it is using the Ethernet connection. if I unplug the cable, it then shows it's using wireless. I plug it back in, and it switched back to the wired connection. But the majoirty of the time I use wireless since I can get the same speeds as the wired connection so it's one less cable to worry about. Especially since the box gets shuttled back and forth to my GFs house.

I remember people mentioning an issue with this, back in the Summer when i got my Roamio Pro. So for that box I never did set it up for wireless. But I got my Roamio Basic in November and have not seen those issues with the wireless and wired connections.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #56
kherr

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan7 View Post
I thought nuking it from orbit was only way to be sure.
Your just a grunt and can't make such a decision .....
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #57
PLargent

Quote:
Your just a grunt and can't make such a decision .....
I believe this is a military operation ... and the corporal is in charge.