Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2014, 01:39 AM   #121
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
I'm already tired of everyone commenting on Gracie Gold's name.
Hear, hear.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #122
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
I'm already tired of everyone commenting on Gracie Gold's name.
At this point, I am already rooting for her to fall on her ass early and out of competition so we don't have to hear it again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #123
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
So they talked to some focus groups. Big hairy deal.

We have our own focus group right here, and Ruth and I (among others) are coming in on the side of people who want more sports, and you like some of the features that I would rather see on a pre-game show than in the middle of the competition I want to watch.

What I object to is that we have other people in the thread insisting that women like one thing and men like another, in direct contradiction of what is being posted in this very thread. Maybe I'm on a lot of people's ignore list, but Ruth's opinion, and yours, deserve to be heard.

The one thing that I can hope for, I guess, is that figure skating will be covered by a pool feed and shot by people who are used to covering figure skating, and not the ham-handed idiots that just worked the cameras at the US Nationals.
I have to say, and maybe I'm in different circles than you, but you are much more into sports than most of the women I know. So perhaps you and Ruth are the exception to the rule? (it's an expression, obviously it's not a "rule"). My daughter (who's 14) is as much into sports at her brothers, but very few of her friends are. I think for her, growing up in a house with two much older brothers and her dad being sports crazy just made her the same way.

There was another very good article in the NYT this weekend about how and why they research these things:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/sp...d-for-nbc.html
Old 01-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #124
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
At this point, I am already rooting for her to fall on her ass early and out of competition so we don't have to hear it again.
The only way she doesn't skate four routines (all of which would air on NBC) is if (a) somebody decides not to use her in both rounds of the team competition (each country is allowed 2 substitutions between the short and long programs), or (b) she does so poorly in the individual short program that she's not in the top 18 and so doesn't qualify for the long program.
All three USA ladies' skaters (Gold, "wunderkind" Polina Edmunds, and Ashley Wagner - note that the rules do not allow Mirai Nagasu to be on the team as just part of the team competition) will, almost certainly, have all of their routines air on NBC.
Furthermore, even If, somehow, Gold doesn't medal, I wouldn't be surprised to see NBC talk the organizers into letting her perform in the exhibition the night before the closing ceremonies.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #125
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if reporters just commented on the performances, instead of falling all over themselves trying to be clever and calling attention to themselves?

Yeah, I know, it won't happen.

Picking up on the link that Steveknj posted -- now I see what the problem is. If ABC hired Ebersol as a researcher at the Olympics, it's no wonder he's got an overblown sense of how important the puff pieces are.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #126
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
There was another very good article in the NYT this weekend about how and why they research these things:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/sp...d-for-nbc.html
Quote:
And unlike the 43 ˝ hours that ABC televised from Innsbruck, Austria, in 1976, five NBC Universal networks will carry 539 hours of live coverage from Sochi, and nbcolympics.com will stream at least 1,000 more.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #127
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Horrible! Bring back the olden days when things were better!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #128
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It means you could pretty much watch the Olympics any way you want. Don't want to watch the fluff pieces and want to watch the whole events? You can do that via streaming and in some cases via the NBC family of cable channels.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #129
eddyj

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if reporters just commented on the performances, instead of falling all over themselves trying to be clever and calling attention to themselves?
Clearly, you have never watched any sports on TV.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #130
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Especially in the last 20 years or so.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #131
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I have the DVR space ( and 6 HD tuners) so I pretty much record everything.

If I remember correctly from last winter Olympics,
I pretty much deleted 80% before even watching

Only so much hockey you can watch ( time wise)

But will probably recorded everything again this time.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #132
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIVO_GUY_HERE View Post
I have the DVR space ( and 6 HD tuners) so I pretty much record everything.

If I remember correctly from last winter Olympics,
I pretty much deleted 80% before even watching

Only so much hockey you can watch ( time wise)

But will probably recorded everything again this time.
That's kind of what I do. I do only selectively record stuff on the secondary networks since I won't record stuff that NBC will reair primetime since I'm not going to watch until primetime anyway.

I spend most of the 2 weeks avoiding twitter and the internet, except for maybe the early morning.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #133
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Slightly Off topic, but for those of you who collect pins, the NBC store at NBC.com has the new Sochi/NBC pins for sale. They sold out early last olympics:

http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/pin..._olympics_pins
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #134
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Quote:
Especially in the last 20 years or so.
Hey, a fan can dream.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #135
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Hey, a fan can dream.
I'm with you.

MNF made announcers into celebrities and John Madden made it so that you can be an expert AND be a celebrity (which guys like Cosell weren't exactly experts). Now every broadcaster tries to be a celebrity and in too many cases it gets in the way of the game, which is what I tuned in for. In all honesty there is exactly ONE announcer I've ever tuned in for just because it's him, and that's Vin Scully, who ironically, doesn't try and be a celebrity.

(I should be clearer in that I've tuned in to MNF to here what guys like Dennis Miller or Tony Kornheieser sound like, but after a week, it was back to tuning in to see the game....but, when I get my free week of MLB EI, I make sure to at least tune in to listen to Vin Scully do a game at least once.)
Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #136
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
Slightly Off topic, but for those of you who collect pins, the NBC store at NBC.com has the new Sochi/NBC pins for sale. They sold out early last olympics:

http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/pin..._olympics_pins
When the Olympics were in L.A. I worked for Sanyo who had like 4 different pins. I got a bunch of them, and then went some of the events, and traded them, ended up with about 20 or so different ones.. If I only knew where they were.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #137
TonyD79

Quote:
It means you could pretty much watch the Olympics any way you want. Don't want to watch the fluff pieces and want to watch the whole events? You can do that via streaming and in some cases via the NBC family of cable channels.
Blech on streaming. I have yet to see a sporting event that is watchable streaming except on something as small as an iPad or iPhone. I have a 65 inch tv with some of the most advanced display capabilities (non-4k). And all sports streaming annoys the crap out of me on it. I hate SD. Why would I want to deal with streaming? (And not that nbc's steaming was non-problematic last time.)
Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #138
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Blech on streaming. I have yet to see a sporting event that is watchable streaming except on something as small as an iPad or iPhone. I have a 65 inch tv with some of the most advanced display capabilities (non-4k). And all sports streaming annoys the crap out of me on it. I hate SD. Why would I want to deal with streaming? (And not that nbc's steaming was non-problematic last time.)
The streams are in HD if your bandwidth can handle it. They looked pretty good two years ago. YMMV.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #139
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
I'm with you.

MNF made announcers into celebrities and John Madden made it so that you can be an expert AND be a celebrity (which guys like Cosell weren't exactly experts). Now every broadcaster tries to be a celebrity and in too many cases it gets in the way of the game, which is what I tuned in for. In all honesty there is exactly ONE announcer I've ever tuned in for just because it's him, and that's Vin Scully, who ironically, doesn't try and be a celebrity.

(I should be clearer in that I've tuned in to MNF to here what guys like Dennis Miller or Tony Kornheieser sound like, but after a week, it was back to tuning in to see the game....but, when I get my free week of MLB EI, I make sure to at least tune in to listen to Vin Scully do a game at least once.)
I know I'm in the minority, but my rule of thumb is simple. I want the people in the booth to enhance my viewing of the game / event. If the experts tell me something that only a player would notice, that's a big plus; I watch a lot of sports, and even if I were good at sports, there's no way I could have tried to do/play as many as I can watch. And I want them to bring the experience of being at the game. In the good way, not the "I'm at the game and some tall loudmouthed jerk has just sat in the seat in front of me" way.

One year I was watching men's figure skating at US Nationals.* ABC had brought in Kurt Browning to sit in with Dick Button during the men's singles. ABC was always superb at capturing the special atmosphere at US Nationals, but this was genius, in part because Kurt is Canadian and had never been to a US Nationals before. Anyway, we had two skaters who had been the best at pushing the envelope in men's skating in their era, geeking out on what was happening technically. Imagine *two* HoF home-run hitters discussing the mechanics of people's swings in replays or two HoF pitchers describing a pitching duel during the World Series. It was fantastic. (pardon the pun)

What can I say? I'm a geek. Sports fascinate me because I like physics. One of the things Dick Button picked up on was that one of the skaters was spotting his rotations like a ballet dancer does (fixating on a single point, then 'snapping' his head around) instead of just spinning with his head in the same position like skaters usually do. Dick claimed that the skater would never master a quad jump until he stopped doing that. He's probably right (who am I to argue with a two-time Olympic gold medalist) but the point is, I hadn't noticed the skater was doing that until Dick pointed that out. All of the details that Dick pointed out during his long tenure as an expert commentator, I learned to watch out for, for myself. This is what I want from an expert commentator -- to become a better viewer because of their commentary.

I'm sure a producer would say that nobody cares about stuff like that except for Dick Button and me, but I don't know how you can gain new long-time viewers for a sport unless you help them understand what is going on.

I've watched enough figure skating and equestrian events now that I know when some jumps have gone bad at the moment of takeoff. I may not be able to articulate what is wrong in real time, but I know that things are not going to end well. Casual viewers who only see these sports during the Olympics are not going to get the experience it takes to see these things. IMHO the more you know, like being able to hear the difference in the sound of a home-run ball or a broken-bat hit when you're watching baseball, the more you enjoy the game.

*Edited to add: the nerd-fest conversation I was remembering between Dick Button and Kurt Browning was actually during the men's competition at Skate America 2005. I was looking at old recordings yesterday and stumbled on it. Dick was initially talking about the skater's jumping technique during the warm-up session, and talked about it again during the actual performance.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 01-30-2014 at 01:03 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #140
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
If you asked me 4 or 5 years ago, I'd agree with you. I stream lots of stuff on my TV these days and for all the "name" websites (Netflix, Amazon, the networks) I can't even tell the difference between a stream and a satellite feed. That said, live TV, especially from half way around the world could be a little glitchy, but I'm not sure. For folks that have MLB EI for example, that wasn't bad when I had it 3-4 years ago, so I would imagine it's better now. Can you corroborate?

Still, if you want to watch something live bad enough, it's available. and the sub networks of NBC will have a lot of it via your content provider (USA, NBCSN, etc.)
Old 01-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #141
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I know I'm in the minority, but my rule of thumb is simple. I want the people in the booth to enhance my viewing of the game / event. If the experts tell me something that only a player would notice, that's a big plus; I watch a lot of sports, and even if I were good at sports, there's no way I could have tried to do/play as many as I can watch. And I want them to bring the experience of being at the game. In the good way, not the "I'm at the game and some tall loudmouthed jerk has just sat in the seat in front of me" way.

One year I was watching men's figure skating at US Nationals. ABC had brought in Kurt Browning to sit in with Dick Button during the men's singles. ABC was always superb at capturing the special atmosphere at US Nationals, but this was genius, in part because Kurt is Canadian and had never been to a US Nationals before. Anyway, we had two skaters who had been the best at pushing the envelope in men's skating in their era, geeking out on what was happening technically. Imagine *two* HoF home-run hitters discussing the mechanics of people's swings in replays or two HoF pitchers describing a pitching duel during the World Series. It was fantastic. (pardon the pun)

What can I say? I'm a geek. Sports fascinate me because I like physics. One of the things Dick Button picked up on was that one of the skaters was spotting his rotations like a ballet dancer does (fixating on a single point, then 'snapping' his head around) instead of just spinning with his head in the same position like skaters usually do. Dick claimed that the skater would never master a quad jump until he stopped doing that. He's probably right (who am I to argue with a two-time Olympic gold medalist) but the point is, I hadn't noticed the skater was doing that until Dick pointed that out. All of the details that Dick pointed out during his long tenure as an expert commentator, I learned to watch out for, for myself. This is what I want from an expert commentator -- to become a better viewer because of their commentary.

I'm sure a producer would say that nobody cares about stuff like that except for Dick Button and me, but I don't know how you can gain new long-time viewers for a sport unless you help them understand what is going on.

I've watched enough figure skating and equestrian events now that I know when some jumps have gone bad at the moment of takeoff. I may not be able to articulate what is wrong in real time, but I know that things are not going to end well. Casual viewers who only see these sports during the Olympics are not going to get the experience it takes to see these things. IMHO the more you know, like being able to hear the difference in the sound of a home-run ball or a broken-bat hit when you're watching baseball, the more you enjoy the game.
No argument from me, I'm the same way. When Tim McCarver first started doing games (and I know for most people here, he's a dirty word), he was probably the best at teaching the finer points of the game. And he could do it in an entertaining way (and in many respects, he's uniquely qualified for doing it, because as a catcher he was a hitter, a fielder who could see the whole field from his position and knew the mechanics of pitching. And he had the personality to explain it so a layman could understand it. John Madden was the same way. Except once Madden became immensely popular, there were lots of imitators, who lacked his skills as a commentator, but tried to emulate his personality. And then it just went over the top most of the time. For sports that I don't completely understand all the nuances and technical aspects, it's even more important, as you point out that they explain it to me so I can understand. It's hard to find someone who can do that well without sounding either boring, or being an over the top fan. (Button who you mention had one annoying habit, he went over the top with his exclamations, Scott Hamilton has the same problem).

Anyway, I think that for sports fans, we want to know the nuts and bolts, but we're going to watch anyway. They try and bring in those who want to be entertained, not us junkies.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #142
TonyD79

Quote:
If you asked me 4 or 5 years ago, I'd agree with you. I stream lots of stuff on my TV these days and for all the "name" websites (Netflix, Amazon, the networks) I can't even tell the difference between a stream and a satellite feed. That said, live TV, especially from half way around the world could be a little glitchy, but I'm not sure. For folks that have MLB EI for example, that wasn't bad when I had it 3-4 years ago, so I would imagine it's better now. Can you corroborate? Still, if you want to watch something live bad enough, it's available. and the sub networks of NBC will have a lot of it via your content provider (USA, NBCSN, etc.)
I also watch movies and stuff on Netflix and others. They are typically okay. I have not seen any sports yet that stands up to real HD. That includes MLB, ESPN3 et al.

I shouldn't have to want to watch it bad enough. This isn't my little sister's third grade volleyball game. This is the Olympics. And there is so much waste of real HD bandwidth.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #143
TonyD79

Quote:
No argument from me, I'm the same way. When Tim McCarver first started doing games (and I know for most people here, he's a dirty word), he was probably the best at teaching the finer points of the game. And he could do it in an entertaining way (and in many respects, he's uniquely qualified for doing it, because as a catcher he was a hitter, a fielder who could see the whole field from his position and knew the mechanics of pitching. And he had the personality to explain it so a layman could understand it. John Madden was the same way. Except once Madden became immensely popular, there were lots of imitators, who lacked his skills as a commentator, but tried to emulate his personality. And then it just went over the top most of the time. For sports that I don't completely understand all the nuances and technical aspects, it's even more important, as you point out that they explain it to me so I can understand. It's hard to find someone who can do that well without sounding either boring, or being an over the top fan. (Button who you mention had one annoying habit, he went over the top with his exclamations, Scott Hamilton has the same problem). Anyway, I think that for sports fans, we want to know the nuts and bolts, but we're going to watch anyway. They try and bring in those who want to be entertained, not us junkies.
Ick. You just complimented Tim McCarver. One of the absolute worst announcers ever. His "fine points" consist of making jokes about 2-2 pitches with two on and two outs. Or this gem: players consider being down 1-0 no different than 0-0 because they need to score anyway. He's an idiot. I know baseball and I know a lot of players. His fine points are just nonsense. But he had you fooled.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #144
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIVO_GUY_HERE View Post
When the Olympics were in L.A. I worked for Sanyo who had like 4 different pins. I got a bunch of them, and then went some of the events, and traded them, ended up with about 20 or so different ones.. If I only knew where they were.
Back when I was with TBS in Atlanta, the Nation Cable Television folks had their national convention in town, and a friend and I just managed to get in at the close on the last day. After wondering around a while, we came upon the USA Network booth, which had one of those large brandy snifters on the table, over half filled with USA Network pins. The guy running the booth was quickly packing and obviously wanted to get out of there. We asked him if we could have more than one pin, as there was a sign on the glass saying "one to a customer". His reply, "You can have the entire lot of them. That's one last thing I have to pack. Help yourself!"

Well, we ended up with over 200 pins. They came in very handy for years as trading stock.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:17 AM   #145
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
For sports that I don't completely understand all the nuances and technical aspects, it's even more important, as you point out that they explain it to me so I can understand. It's hard to find someone who can do that well without sounding either boring, or being an over the top fan. (Button who you mention had one annoying habit, he went over the top with his exclamations, Scott Hamilton has the same problem).

Anyway, I think that for sports fans, we want to know the nuts and bolts, but we're going to watch anyway. They try and bring in those who want to be entertained, not us junkies.
Button has many annoying habits, but when he is talking about technical stuff, he knows his stuff. Which is why it was genius putting Kurt Browning in the booth with him. It gave Button an audience, someone he could talk to who would understand anything he said. So then he started to really talk technique.

Of course Button can be incredibly annoying, as can Scott Hamilton. But the thing that has annoyed me even more this season is Tom Hammond. I realize it's probably some producer asking him to do this, but he's trying to cram the entire contents of the media guide down the throat of the viewer in the 20 seconds or less that they're showing a skater taking a position before each program. FFS, this is TV, not radio. The world won't come to an end if there is a moment of 'dead air'.

The same thing happens on the horse racing broadcasts, too. Interviews, puff pieces, celebrity shots in the crowd, pre-race analysis blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah and then all of a sudden it's post time and BLAM they switch away from all their other crap and show you the last horse being loaded into the gate before the start of the race. You barely see the horses warm up; you don't get any of the atmosphere of being at the event. There's no chance for the dramatic tension to build. The game/race/event is almost an afterthought. I hate it.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #146
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Of course Button can be incredibly annoying, as can Scott Hamilton. But the thing that has annoyed me even more this season is Tom Hammond. I realize it's probably some producer asking him to do this, but he's trying to cram the entire contents of the media guide down the throat of the viewer in the 20 seconds or less that they're showing a skater taking a position before each program. FFS, this is TV, not radio. The world won't come to an end if there is a moment of 'dead air'.
It was worse in the days of the 6.0 scoring system (and with pretty much every commentator). In order to make sure all of the judges had their acts together, after the first skater performed, they were each told the average of their first marks, and the average of their second marks, and could modify them accordingly, which made the gap between the performance and the announcement of scores even longer.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #147
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Ick. You just complimented Tim McCarver. One of the absolute worst announcers ever. His "fine points" consist of making jokes about 2-2 pitches with two on and two outs. Or this gem: players consider being down 1-0 no different than 0-0 because they need to score anyway. He's an idiot. I know baseball and I know a lot of players. His fine points are just nonsense. But he had you fooled.
Don't judge him now working with Joe Buck, a horrible PxP announcer who brings out the worst in whoever he works with. Buck tries to make the game into one big running gag of one liners only he thinks is funny and McCarver plays along. McCarver in the days covering the Mets in NY was an excellent color guy, considered the John Madden of baseball. His book is considered a go to for teaching novices about baseball. I think you're just going along with the consensus here who don't like the guy. Playing the game is a lot different than "knowing a few baseball players". I know baseball, probably as well as you, and I think in the day, he was a great announcer. Is he great now? No. Who do you think it a great baseball announcer today?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #148
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Button has many annoying habits, but when he is talking about technical stuff, he knows his stuff. Which is why it was genius putting Kurt Browning in the booth with him. It gave Button an audience, someone he could talk to who would understand anything he said. So then he started to really talk technique.

The same thing happens on the horse racing broadcasts, too. Interviews, puff pieces, celebrity shots in the crowd, pre-race analysis blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah and then all of a sudden it's post time and BLAM they switch away from all their other crap and show you the last horse being loaded into the gate before the start of the race. You barely see the horses warm up; you don't get any of the atmosphere of being at the event. There's no chance for the dramatic tension to build. The game/race/event is almost an afterthought. I hate it.
The thing is for these sports, Olympic sports, horse racing and some others, they have to present the sport to an audience that probably don't know the competitors, don't know the finer points of the sport (and especially the technical aspects), and in most cases couldn't care less. They need to be entertaining first. That probably pisses off the die hard fans, and some of us who enjoy some of the the technical aspects. But those people are already tuning in. So how do you balance that? I didn't see the skating competition you mentioned with Kurt and Button, so I can't speak to it, but for a large chunk of the audience, two analysts going back and forth on technical minutia can be a colossal bore. The good one (John Madden for NFL football for example) can make the technical stuff sound interesting. Maybe that was the case with Kurt and Button. It's a problem I have with this trend in baseball, especially ESPN's coverage where they fill the screen with a million stats and speak to them as if everyone understands them.

So if your NBC, who do go after as an audience? Do you go after the core fans who understand everything about the sport and you can go into all the technical aspect, or do you go after the casual fan who might be bored to tears if you get too technical and turn to something else? You most certainly already have the core fan as an audience, so you need to target the rest to get ratings up. Sorry, but that's the TV business in this country.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #149
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I also watch movies and stuff on Netflix and others. They are typically okay. I have not seen any sports yet that stands up to real HD. That includes MLB, ESPN3 et al.

I shouldn't have to want to watch it bad enough. This isn't my little sister's third grade volleyball game. This is the Olympics. And there is so much waste of real HD bandwidth.
So what do you suggest? NBC already has 4 or 5 networks dedicated to the Olympics. There's no way they could show EVERYTHING. So they stream.

It's nice to complain but unless you have a better solution....
Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #150
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
The thing is for these sports, Olympic sports, horse racing and some others, they have to present the sport to an audience that probably don't know the competitors, don't know the finer points of the sport (and especially the technical aspects), and in most cases couldn't care less. They need to be entertaining first. That probably pisses off the die hard fans, and some of us who enjoy some of the the technical aspects. But those people are already tuning in. So how do you balance that? I didn't see the skating competition you mentioned with Kurt and Button, so I can't speak to it, but for a large chunk of the audience, two analysts going back and forth on technical minutia can be a colossal bore. The good one (John Madden for NFL football for example) can make the technical stuff sound interesting. Maybe that was the case with Kurt and Button. It's a problem I have with this trend in baseball, especially ESPN's coverage where they fill the screen with a million stats and speak to them as if everyone understands them.

So if your NBC, who do go after as an audience? Do you go after the core fans who understand everything about the sport and you can go into all the technical aspect, or do you go after the casual fan who might be bored to tears if you get too technical and turn to something else? You most certainly already have the core fan as an audience, so you need to target the rest to get ratings up. Sorry, but that's the TV business in this country.
These days we hear a lot of talk about how the program will rack up points under the new judging system, and not much else. So NBC is getting pretty good now at boring both the casual and experienced fans at the same time.

(Disclaimer: I just watched the European championships over the weekend -- often a huge snooze-fest for me, especially when they only show singles skating.)