TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
True Colors

Verizon FIOS routers......... automatically enabled for MOCA, yes or no?

I have verion FIOS internet and cable TV service.

Last year i started digging into the possibility of establishing MOCA in my house.

At that time, the FIOS tech support person told me that the router that thry provided to me(one of their new models) had the capability of being a MOCA bridge..... HOWEVER, she also told me that it was not possible to enable the MOCA functionality in the router. Perhaps it would be possible to do so at some future date.

So my question is..... did this change? I have heard chatter recently that FIOS routers areautomatically configured to serve as moca bridges now...... so therefore, no need to have a separate device added to the network to be the moca bridge.

Can someone here with knowledge please comment on this.

Thanks,

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Yes, the FIOS routers are already moca bridges.

Just connect the mini or Roamio do the coax cable and enjoy the connection!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Clueless CSR story #6518
Since Verizon uses MoCA in their DVRs, yes, it's enabled by default on their routers.
The item that is on their routers but NOT enabled is the USB storage ports on the back.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
mr.unnatural

The way I understand it, Verizon uses MoCA to transmit guide data to all of their set top boxes and DVRs. I had to get a low pass filter to block the MoCA signal because it would interfere with my cablecard tuners and disrupt reception of certain channels.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
The way I understand it, Verizon uses MoCA to transmit guide data to all of their set top boxes and DVRs. I had to get a low pass filter to block the MoCA signal because it would interfere with my cablecard tuners and disrupt reception of certain channels.
Would you mind explaining in a little more detail how this would manifest itself before you used the LPF?
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
mr.unnatural

Reception on certain channels would either be non-existant or highly pixelated. This is something that apparently only affects the Ceton tuners on FIOS. Here's a link to the InfiniTV 4 installation instructions that identify the low pass filter requirement if using MoCA adapters:

http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/I...ure%20v1.2.pdf

Look on page 3,paragraph 3, step 2, substep iii. I believe you need a 860 MHz low pass filter to eliminate the MoCA interference. I'll see which one I'm using when I go home for lunch. I bought mine from solidsignal.com, but you should probably be able to get one for free from Verizon if you request it.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 01-20-2014 at 08:14 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
True Colors

Okay, so just so I am understanding clearly........

In one room I currently have my Verizon router set up.

In a different room, I have a Tivo premier currently active.

Am I able to simply connect a MOCA adapter to the premier's ethernet port and then it is connected to the network? Thats it?

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
Okay, so just so I am understanding clearly........

In one room I currently have my Verizon router set up.

In a different room, I have a Tivo premier currently active.

Am I able to simply connect a MOCA adapter to the premier's ethernet port and then it is connected to the network? Thats it?

TC
You need to split the coax connection at that Tivo, connect one run to the MoCA adapter and the other to the Tivo, then the Ethernet from the adapter to the Tivo. I have one of mine setup like this and it works perfectly.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote