TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.88 average.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #901
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobaerodude View Post
To lessd and palover, it is worth it to them. Despite all of the obvious red flags and minuscule 'savings', it's not their problem.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #902
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
lessd,

I assume you would also buy from this site.
Why !! your you assume that??
If any web sight offers something I want at a good price, and I think my payment is safe I will purchase, I am not, as some of you seem to be, the Web police. To purchase from a Web sight and say I am part of a fraud is disingenuous on your part, unless some official gov. agency tells me not to deal with a sight (then I would obey such a request) it not my problem !! It is not my problem because some of you spend time checking out web sights, I don't, just my payment safety. I have not had any loss yet.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #903
randian

The site might be illegitimate, but a CA company having a server in Dallas isn't evidence of that. I'm in AZ and use a hosting company in MA.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #904
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Why !! your you assume that??
If any web sight offers something I want at a good price, and I think my payment is safe I will purchase, I am not, as some of you seem to be, the Web police. To purchase from a Web sight and say I am part of a fraud is disingenuous on your part, unless some official gov. agency tells me not to deal with a sight (then I would obey such a request) it not my problem !! It is not my problem because some of you spend time checking out web sights, I don't, just my payment safety. I have not had any loss yet.
The reason I assume that is that it you are only concerned with whether or not you are risking a loss, not with the distinct probability that you are in essence receiving stolen goods. You're not the regular police any more than you are the Web police, so I infer that you would have no problem with it.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #905
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The reason I assume that is that it you are only concerned with whether or not you are risking a loss, not with the distinct probability that you are in essence receiving stolen goods. You're not the regular police any more than you are the Web police, so I infer that you would have no problem with it.
I have a big problem with receiving stolen goods, but when I purchase from E-Bay or other web sights I don't assume that I am receiving stolen goods, if, as I said before, I go to the back of say Best Buy and pay a Lenny $300 for a Roamio Plus and he comes back out with the box and no receipt, that I would never do, even though Lenny may have won that TiVo from Best Buy and was not stolen. I would never purchase from the back of a truck or any other such thing, but from a web sight taking PayPal, no problem for me. Amazon was small at first selling book at a great price, were the first people buying book from Amazon think that the books may be stolen ?? If you deal with well known payments systems you can't get into any trouble with the law. Anyone ever purchase from a pawn shop ??

Old 01-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #906
tatergator1

Quote:
I go to the back of say Best Buy and pay a Lenny $300 for a Roamio Plus and he comes back out with the box and no receipt, that I would never do, even though Lenny may have won that TiVo from Best Buy and was not stolen.
So as long as Lenny has a website and accepts Paypal, the transaction becomes kosher?

I agree with your assessment of eBay, sometimes fraud is unclear. However, after what was learned from the first Roamio from sophiamart, it's tough to justify purchases from the subsequent sites.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #907
lpwcomp

What if Lenny came back from BB with a receipt that shows he payed $399? Would you still think it was kosher? When you contacted BB to verify the purchase, did you ask them how much was paid?

You're engaging in what is known as "willful blindness".

You must think the site is owned by Milo Minderbinder.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #908
krao

Just curious

Quote:
I guess I feel that I should protect myself from being scammed, not PayPal or Best Buy for that matter, every day I get people trying to give me millions of $ (I won a sweepstakes or I am just a good person to leave money to) if I would verify myself with my name, address, SS number, and bank info so they can deposit this money into my account (I think there is a movie now out about this, Nebraska ). If you offer me advice not to give out this information, I would be 100% on your side, but I don't feel I am responsible to check out any Web sight before I purchase, if I like the payment system (and price) I purchase, only once in the last 10 years did I not get delivery, called my CC co. up and they gave me my money back, no hassle. I would not purchase from Amazon.com if payment was only by western Union.
Did you get your Tivo from Electronichotdeal yet ? Just want to be sure before I order.
krao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:56 AM   #909
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by krao View Post
Did you get your Tivo from Electronichotdeal yet ? Just want to be sure before I order.
YES, it came from Best Buy, mfg date 29th of Oct 2013, took about 1 week to get my tracking number. The BB shipping papers said if I had any problems with the unit I could exchange the unit at any BB store or send it back to Best Buy. I already activated the Roamio and I am now xfer programs from my TP4 to the new Roamio Plus (upgraded to 2Tb)
The sight is http://www.electronichotdeal.com/tiv...dvr-tcd848000/

This Thread was started for people to report good deals on Roamios, if you don't like the site I purchased it from, don't use it, I don't care as I have no interest in this site except to purchase the TiVo. Calling me names because I used this site is just wrong, as it not my fault if some people don't like this site, just don't use it but don't get mad if somebody uses it and gets a good deal, that not your problem, if the FBI comes to my home and halls me off the jail, that would be my problem!!
(Because of a PM I know at least one other TC member that had a good experience with his TiVo purchase)
I would guess anybody using site would not tell us, who needs to be called names, I have thick skin and don't care what anybody will say about me using this site.

Good luck

Last edited by lessd : 01-19-2014 at 12:05 PM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #910
c3
TiVoholic

Please stop using "sight". It's "site".
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:46 AM   #911
Zu Nim
Registerer Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I agree with your assessment of eBay, sometimes fraud is unclear. However, after what was learned from the first Roamio from sophiamart, it's tough to justify purchases from the subsequent sites.

Triangulation fraud is very clever because a consumer can be ignorant of their participation. This happens to be a situation where a consumer can be informed ahead of time.

lessd, Lenny bought that TiVo from Best Buy fraudulently. He got a receipt from Best Buy because the payment processor (the bank) hadn't caught on to Lenny yet. The TiVo isn't clean.

Having said that, Best Buy may consider it a "legitimate" transaction because the bank may have no recourse to getting its money back from Best Buy. It may depend on the agreements they have and what the law says about who's bears the cost of fraudulent charge. If Best Buy bears the cost, you bet they'll consider themselves wronged and want the goods back. If the bank bears the cost, well... now they run the risk of annoying a "customer" and nothing's in it for them, which means they won't lift a finger.

This is probably a no-risk crime for the purchaser. But let's not pretend these particular stores are legitimate retailers paying with clean, traceable money. They're not. People get hassled, the banks lose money - and banks don't lose money (everyone else loses out, if only a bit). The money paid to these sites probably left the country, too. These criminals can run this type of enterprise from anywhere, and being outside the U.S. makes it more difficult to prosecute as long as they keep relatively low profiles.
Zu Nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #912
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2500 View Post
Thanks for the response.

I did in fact win the $2,500 prize through their sweepstakes... confirmed through TiVo PR department today. Naturally my wife has other plans ALREADY to fix up our kitchen. This single people... is why you don't get married.

Happy I won though... I never win anything. Guess I can't say that now.
Congrats! Absolutely buy a Roamio...best upgrade yet. The reason I've had a TiVo so long us due to winning their contests. Won a Series 1 with a poem back in 2000, then a TiVo HD with a video content when it was first introduced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #913
miketx

So anyone have any new deals to report? This thread has gotten off track in the last few pages.
miketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #914
sldozier

No new deals, but just to provide confirmation to those who may be skeptical: I just within the last hour returned from my local Best Buy with a new Roamio in hand. BB price matched amazon.com's 149.99 price "and" I got the $50.00 gift certificate to boot , no hassle, no store supervisor's involved, no questions asked. Sweet deal, and I owe it all to the forum. Thanks
sldozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #915
Cap'n Preshoot

I'm always a bit skeptical about the very latest model of something showing up on eBay, especially when priced 15% or more below the current going price on Amazon or BB. If the eBay seller's "store" is not listed as being an authorized reseller, and they have product availability in some quantity, then at a minimum the merchandise is considered "grey market". This doesn't necessarily mean it's stolen, but could be a legitimate wholesale distributor's unauthorized sales diluting the retail channel, in violation of their distributorship agreement.The biggest problem you might encounter with such purchases is warranty claims & product returns.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #916
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Please stop using "sight". It's "site".
I sea .
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #917
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
Congrats! Absolutely buy a Roamio...best upgrade yet. The reason I've had a TiVo so long us due to winning their contests. Won a Series 1 with a poem back in 2000, then a TiVo HD with a video content when it was first introduced.
Back in around 2000, I won a S1 from a website just for answering a few multiple choice questions. Got an email requesting info for UPS delivery. Back then Lifetime service was just $199.00.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #918
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post
I'm always a bit skeptical about the very latest model of something showing up on eBay, especially when priced 15% or more below the current going price on Amazon or BB. If the eBay seller's "store" is not listed as being an authorized reseller, and they have product availability in some quantity, then at a minimum the merchandise is considered "grey market". This doesn't necessarily mean it's stolen, but could be a legitimate wholesale distributor's unauthorized sales diluting the retail channel, in violation of their distributorship agreement.The biggest problem you might encounter with such purchases is warranty claims & product returns.
I don't think such a "grey market" exists for TiVos, but for say the Rolex watch, and other stuff a "grey market" does exist, and warranty claims could be problematic. I got kicked off E-Bay because I was selling a new Bose item US made, and offering international sales, once I removed any possible international sales all was ok with selling Bose on E-Bay.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #919
pricebri

FYI just read through this thread and was bummed about missing out on deals on the Roamio Plus/Pro. Called Tivo directly and was offered a pretty good upgrade (Currently have a Premire) deal on a Roamio Plus at $324.99 and got a Mini for $49.99. Tax and everything brought the total to 413.59 with the 1st month of service on the Mini. No shady online reseller involved!
pricebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #920
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricebri View Post
FYI just read through this thread and was bummed about missing out on deals on the Roamio Plus/Pro. Called Tivo directly and was offered a pretty good upgrade (Currently have a Premire) deal on a Roamio Plus at $324.99 and got a Mini for $49.99. Tax and everything brought the total to 413.59 with the 1st month of service on the Mini. No shady online reseller involved!
They gave you a Roamio plus for $324.95 without any monthly contract ??

Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #921
squiddohio

Excellent reference to Milo Minderbinder!
Keep up the good work.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #922
Bighouse
200 Club Member

I am going to take tivo's offer of $200 off on a roamio pro later this week! Just waiting for my credit card billing cycle to flip.

Not sure what to do with my series three and series two...both of which also have lifetime services on them.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #923
RayinMaui

Been gone a long time!

Hi everybody!

I used to be active on this board years ago, but then went to DirecTV. Now I'm with FIOS and got a Roamio Pro from Best Buy yesterday!

They price matched tivo.com, so I got it for $499, a $50 card and interest free for 18 months. Also saved $100 on Lifetime thanks to this site.

Had trouble authorizing the Mcard and couldn't do it till this morning. Once authorized, I had to restart the Roamio Pro before it was recognized, but now it is great!

The Roamio should be standard with FIOS, it's so simple. It automatically changed itself to MoCa, even though I had setup wireless WiFi. No worrying about ethernet or anything!

I got a Mini and will set that up this evening.

I love being back to a TiVo!

Great to be back!

Ray
RayinMaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #924
HarperVision

Sweet! I didn't know they had fios on maui? I wish they had that here on the big island, I'd dump Oceanic TW in a heartbeat!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 AM   #925
realfun4u

Received an e-mail yesterday Jan 21st from TiVo saying

A Special thank-you from TiVo!
as a TiVo Advisors Panelist ....... (and it goes on)

If you have been thinking of upgrading to a Roamio here is a one time code for $50 off a Romaio, $100 of a Plus and $200 off a Pro! and $75 of a mini

so i ordered the Pro and a mini both with lifetime and got them for $1000.46 inc tax and delivery!

think i got a good deal - as it should of normally of been with out the discount! $1398.96

so ended up saving $398.50!

the one time code was valid until the 31st Jan

so check your e-mails you never know if you have that code!

Last edited by realfun4u : 01-22-2014 at 04:34 AM.
realfun4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #926
takeagabu

Quote:
Originally Posted by realfun4u View Post
Received an e-mail yesterday Jan 21st from TiVo saying

A Special thank-you from TiVo!
as a TiVo Advisors Panelist ....... (and it goes on)

If you have been thinking of upgrading to a Roamio here is a one time code for $50 off a Romaio, $100 of a Plus and $200 off a Pro! and $75 of a mini

so i ordered the Pro and a mini both with lifetime and got them for $1000.46 inc tax and delivery!

think i got a good deal - as it should of normally of been with out the discount! $1398.96

so ended up saving $398.50!

the one time code was valid until the 31st Jan

so check your e-mails you never know if you have that code!
I'm a panelist. Where is my e-mail?!?!
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #927
Grakthis

I got one too. Pretty big savings. I'm going with the Plus and a Mini for total hardware costs of about 325 + tax. With lifetimes and MSD and tax, it comes out to just a shade under 900. for my setup, that gives me a breakeven of 27 months, which is 3 months longer than I normally like for technology, but TiVo's are not normal technology and generally last longer than 2 years (my S3 is going strong for.. uh.. 8 now?).

This is exactly the kind of deal I was waiting on to pull the trigger on an upgrade.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #928
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeagabu View Post
I just the Roamio offer in the mail (USPS) $750 for the Roamio plus and Lifetime service, nice color mailer.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #929
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeagabu View Post
Same here, no email for me with this quite attractive offer.

I did get my January survey email for what that's worth.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #930
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

I got the offer as well via email. Does anyone know if I would have to buy service at the time I buy the Roamio directly from TiVo?

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV

Last edited by George Cifranci : 01-22-2014 at 04:14 PM.
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote