TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
dbattaglia001

Buy base Roamio + upgrade HD vs buying Pro?

I have a 2 Premieres now (plus external stream and moca adapters) but have been getting itch to upgrade to Roamio for one of the units (can pass it onto a younger brother).

Was about to buy the Pro when Amazon had it for $433 but just missed out (now it's $530).

Have been now thinking to maybe just buy the base model for $150 and upgrade to a 3 TB hard drive (seems to be approx $130). So 280 vs 530 seems like a no brainer.

Before I move forward I want to make sure that I understand what I am giving up. As far as I can tell, the speed and performance of base model is same as pro, with the cons being:
1. No internal stream. But I have my external stream so no loss in my functionality. Only negative is extra clutter.
2. 2 less tuners. But as I have lifetime on my other premiere not a big deal as I still have 6 tuners in household. Granted if premiere dies then I'd maybe want to replace it with a mini...but even so I don't think 6 tuners for me is crucial.
3. Warranty issue if I replace my drive early. I can always wait the 90 days before putting in new HD.

Anything else I'm missing? I'm most concerned with performance and snappiness of menus and such that people rave about so want yo make sure I'm not sacrificing that with base model roamio.

Thanks!
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Tom Pich

With the basic you gain OTA capability.

Along with the things you mentioned you lose gigabit ethernet, the internal MoCA bridge and component out.
Tom Pich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
Was about to buy the Pro when Amazon had it for $433 but just missed out (now it's $530).
Just wait and watch and maybe subscribe to the Roamio deals thread here to get an email each time something comes up.

Quote:
Have been now thinking to maybe just buy the base model for $150 and upgrade to a 3 TB hard drive (seems to be approx $130). So 280 vs 530 seems like a no brainer.
Agreed.

Quote:
2. 2 less tuners.
You know I have all my network season passes at the top of the list and the cable passes below. Cable shows repeat so frequently, sometimes immediately, that I have a hard time believing any show you want will be missed. Some shows will record later but I don't need immediacy for my viewing pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pich View Post
Along with the things you mentioned you lose gigabit ethernet
Can the Roamio actually take advantage of gigabit ehternet? I don't know but I am curious.

$149 at Best Buy via price match against Amazon plus a $50 BB gift certificate -- hard to beat a 4 tuner Roamio for an effective price of $100.
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Cap'n Preshoot

Buying the Roamio Basic then adding the 3TB drive is a no-brainer, unless you need more than 4 tuners.

Also there's some misunderstanding about the base model Roamio's OTA capability. My understanding is it's either/or, not both, as there is only 1 RF connector on the back. If you need both OTA and Cable, then you need to get a Premier.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post
Buying the Roamio Basic then adding the 3TB drive is a no-brainer, unless you need more than 4 tuners.

Also there's some misunderstanding about the base model Roamio's OTA capability. My understanding is it's either/or, not both, as there is only 1 RF connector on the back. If you need both OTA and Cable, then you need to get a Premier.
Or get two Roamios and use one for OTA and one for cable.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Tom Pich

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobrownblue View Post
Can the Roamio actually take advantage of gigabit ehternet? I don't know but I am curious.
I get transfer speeds of about 160mbps on my Roamio Pro. So it's a bit faster than the theoretical 100mbps you can get on the Basic.
Tom Pich is offline   Reply With Quote