TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
raddog

Roamio + Mini vs. Airport

Newbie here. Just got a Roamio Plus and a Mini and I'm having networking issues between them. I've seen lots of posts of various issues with this kind of setup, none of them frankly with clear root cause or resolution and none quite addressing the issues I'm seeing so starting my own thread.

The Roamio and mini are connected via gigabit ethernet. When I first connected them the mini quickly found the Roamio but when I tried to stream video (either live or recorded) it would stutter, dropout audio and eventually lose the connection. Usually a V87 error but sometimes other errors.

I eventually, through trial and error discovered the following. The mini was connected to the network through a Netgear hub. Among the other devices attached to the hub was an Airport/Time Capsule. Unplugging the Airport allows the mini to work flawlessly.

I've repeated this a few times. The most recent time I had the Airport unplugged and the mini working fine. When I plugged in the Airport after a minute or two I began to get audio dropouts, video stuttering and freezing and within a few more minutes a dropped connection completely.

I'm not sure about next steps, so I'm looking for ideas. One possibility is upgrading the hub to a switch. But before I go spend money on new hardware I'd like to have a better understanding of what's going on. Just throwing money at the problem doesn't feel like the right answer in this case. It's rather disappointing that Tivo is so sensitive to these network conditions.
raddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddog View Post
The Roamio and mini are connected via gigabit ethernet.
Quote:
The mini was connected to the network through a Netgear hub. Among the other devices attached to the hub was an Airport/Time Capsule. Unplugging the Airport allows the mini to work flawlessly.
A hub will rebroadcast every packet received to every device on the hub. You are basically giving yourself a denial of service attack, impacting all the other devices on that hub, especially if you consider the hub is likely very low throughput, and you have devices that are trying to stream video and (likely) trying to do continuous Time Machine backups.

Here is a short explanation of the differences:

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/te.../hub-vs-switch

Go purchase a Gigabit capable switch. Hubs have not been recommended, except in specialized circumstances (packet monitoring, for example) for a number of years.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSaf...ort+gig+switch

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Any chance you have multiple DHCP servers if the Airport is plugged in, with the Mini getting assigned an extra IP address from the Airport?
Old 01-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
raddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post

Go purchase a Gigabit capable switch. Hubs have not been recommended, except in specialized circumstances (packet monitoring, for example) for a number of years.

John
Sorry, I misspoke in my original post. I am, in fact, using a Gigabit switch not a hub. It's a Netgear GS608.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
raddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Any chance you have multiple DHCP servers if the Airport is plugged in, with the Mini getting assigned an extra IP address from the Airport?
The Airport is in bridge mode so no it's not serving DHCP addresses.

DHCP addresses are assigned by a Netgear router.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
The Airport is in bridge mode so no it's not serving DHCP addresses.

DHCP addresses are assigned by a Netgear router.
Your symptoms still sound as though they could be an IP address duplication. Have you checked to see if there is some wireless device that is being given the same IP address as the Mini (and would thus only conflict if the Airport is connected.)
Old 01-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
raddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Your symptoms still sound as though they could be an IP address duplication. Have you checked to see if there is some wireless device that is being given the same IP address as the Mini (and would thus only conflict if the Airport is connected.)
Not seeing any conflicts. I checked two MacBooks, an iPhone and and iPad. They all have different addresses from the mini.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
JohnnyO
Crimper

Could you have a bad switch port? Try swapping the network connections for the Apple TV and the TiVo Mini and see if the behavior changes.

Also - could it be a bad network cable? Could you try a different cable for the Mini, and then separately for the Apple TV?

Another thing - to see if it is load related, can you wait until you see the problem, then go to each Mac and turn off the Time Machine backup? If the backup traffic goes away, and you still have the problem, it is not likely load related.

Just some ideas.

John
Old 01-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
raddog

I figured it out. After isolating everything I could I eventually stumbled across the fact (via the Airport Utility) that the Airport was seeing the Roamio as a wireless client.

It never occurred to me that the Roamio wouldn't prioritize Ethernet over WiFi but I guess it did.

I went back in and went back through the Ethernet setup and everything seems happy now.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
I figured it out.
Excellent News!