TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
emax

high Response Time

Hi everyboy,

my 1st time post.
Santa got me a Roamio plus and i love it. Love the super fast interface and streaming.

For network connection i used wireless connection for Roamio, my router is Lynksys 4500 N. The signal strength was 62-68%, it was okay but i would not always get great picture quality in Netflix streaming. When i ping the Tivo Roamio IP i would get response time from 20ms to 130ms.

So i decided to run Cat6e cables. I hard wired both location where Tivo Roamio and Tivo XL are located.

Now Tivo XL gets constant response time 1ms, its steady. Doesn't drop, even if i use Netflix stream or transfer shows from Roamio. Steady 1ms response time. great, right!!
On the other hand Tivo Roamio is averaging 11ms-16ms in same scenario, that really bugs me.
Its not the network line, because when i connect to same network plug my Laptop, TV, Blu-ray or xBox and stream to it i get 1ms.

any ideas guys?

thx,
eMax
emax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
kbmb

I know little about networking.....not sure whether the difference between 1ms and 10-20ms really makes a difference or not (guessing it doesn't).

But I am wondering whether it has to do with the builtin stream in the Plus/Pro models.

I have a Plus and a Basic, both on the same network, both connected via ethernet.

I get consistent ping times to my Plus in the 10-20ms time.
For the Basic however, I get 1-2ms response times.

Since your Tivo XL doesn't have a stream it in, I'm wondering if that's similar to what I'm seeing between the Plus and Basic.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by emax View Post
Hi everyboy,

my 1st time post.
Santa got me a Roamio plus and i love it. Love the super fast interface and streaming.

For network connection i used wireless connection for Roamio, my router is Lynksys 4500 N. The signal strength was 62-68%, it was okay but i would not always get great picture quality in Netflix streaming. When i ping the Tivo Roamio IP i would get response time from 20ms to 130ms.

So i decided to run Cat6e cables. I hard wired both location where Tivo Roamio and Tivo XL are located.

Now Tivo XL gets constant response time 1ms, its steady. Doesn't drop, even if i use Netflix stream or transfer shows from Roamio. Steady 1ms response time. great, right!!
On the other hand Tivo Roamio is averaging 11ms-16ms in same scenario, that really bugs me.
Its not the network line, because when i connect to same network plug my Laptop, TV, Blu-ray or xBox and stream to it i get 1ms.

any ideas guys?

thx,
eMax
I just tested my Roamio Plus against my TP4, using my Computer to ping each, I got 14ms from one the Roamio Plus, 3ms from another Roamio Plus, and back to 14ms from the 3rd Roamio Plus, and 3 ms for my TP4, this is a test I would have never done as I don't know what it means for ones user experience, I have a MoCA setup and get over 90Mb/s in xfers between Roamios.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

I see a 5x longer ping time to my Romaio BAsic using wireless. But that has never affected how it is used. I still get rock solid streaming of TiVo shows over wireless. And Netflix still reaches SuperHD encodes just as fast as my Roamio Pro on a wired connection and stays solid the same as my Roamio Pro. From a user viewpoint my Roamio Basic over wireless has been identical in use to my Roamio Pro over a wired connection. The only time I see a difference is in show transfer speed. The Roamio Basic maxes out around 95Mb/s over wireless while the Roamio Pro will hit 180Mb/s transfer rates over a wired connection.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
pautler

Also, keep in mind that many devices give a relatively low priority to responding to ping packets. In other words, when the box is busy and/or has other network traffic to send/receive, 'ping' takes a back seat to other types of traffic. I have no idea if that is the case for the Roamio, but it is quite common for other devices, and thus the response time for ping packets isn't all that meaningful.

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
emax

I understand that icmp is low priority traffic, I run constant ping for several min when tivo should be idle and it rarely drops below 10ms.

How you guys measure the throughput rate on your Tivo?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I understand that icmp is low priority traffic, I run constant ping for several min when tivo should be idle and it rarely drops below 10ms.

Go to the network settings page and select network Diagnostics. Then go to Transfer history and it will show you the the speeds for the last transfers into the TiVo, out of the TiVo etc.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:07 AM   #8
pautler

Quote:
kmttg is one popular way. Here are a couple other threads that you might be interested in:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512983

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=513735

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #9
emax

Thx Aaron,
You make me wonder what kind of hard drive you have in your Tivo. Your write speed is quiet impressive.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:37 AM   #10
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Thx Aaron,
You make me wonder what kind of hard drive you have in your Tivo. Your write speed is quiet impressive.
You need to take into account that MB (Megabytes) and Mb (Megabits) are very different numbers.

I spend a few days over on Wikipedia seeing what tech matches up best, like network speeds in Gigabits, hard drive interfaces rated in Gigabytes, compared to actual read/write speeds in Megabytes, USB ratings and real-world throughput when overhead is factored-in, etc.

Besides a sore neck, I was quite well re-educated on things I used to know, but forgot the importance of remembering, especially real-world comparisons & matching up speeds in the right context, etc...

Gigabit Ethernet is closer to what you could call 100Megabyte Ethernet, when it comes to throughput.

It gets to be even more fun when you have to factor in what revision the PCIexpress slot is on your computer, to know if it can even run a controller card at full speed and full duplex, and if that will make a SSD drive operate as fast as the speed you are paying for... Throw in some of the variables with USB3, overhead, and real-world throughput, for a platter drive, and you will have a headache (or I sure did).

I really wish I hadn't bought all my computer mainboards a few days before the ones with PCIexpress 2.0 hit the market... All my peripheral add-in cards are running at half-speed (of what they would in a 2.0 slot), which makes for half speed SATA-III cards, half-speed USB3.0 Superspeed cards, and 1/3 speed video cards, and so on...

I have to calculate bits-bytes & bytes-bits, factor in real-world throughput, then calculate if everything I install is running at half-speed through 1/4 speed...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Thx Aaron,
The hard drives are the stock TiVo drives. Those are actually slow speeds for a hard drive. Even my hard drives I used thirteen years ago in 2001 had speeds several times that.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
richbrew
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
You need to take into account that MB (Megabytes) and Mb (Megabits) are very different numbers.

I spend a few days over on Wikipedia seeing what tech matches up best, like network speeds in Gigabits, hard drive interfaces rated in Gigabytes, compared to actual read/write speeds in Megabytes, USB ratings and real-world throughput when overhead is factored-in, etc.

Besides a sore neck, I was quite well re-educated on things I used to know, but forgot the importance of remembering, especially real-world comparisons & matching up speeds in the right context, etc...

Gigabit Ethernet is closer to what you could call 100Megabyte Ethernet, when it comes to throughput.

It gets to be even more fun when you have to factor in what revision the PCIexpress slot is on your computer, to know if it can even run a controller card at full speed and full duplex, and if that will make a SSD drive operate as fast as the speed you are paying for... Throw in some of the variables with USB3, overhead, and real-world throughput, for a platter drive, and you will have a headache (or I sure did).

I really wish I hadn't bought all my computer mainboards a few days before the ones with PCIexpress 2.0 hit the market... All my peripheral add-in cards are running at half-speed (of what they would in a 2.0 slot), which makes for half speed SATA-III cards, half-speed USB3.0 Superspeed cards, and 1/3 speed video cards, and so on...

I have to calculate bits-bytes & bytes-bits, factor in real-world throughput, then calculate if everything I install is running at half-speed through 1/4 speed...
The simplified version of all that is to say that a 180Mb/s network transfer rate equates to 22.5MB/s hard drive write speed, well below what even mechanical (not SSD) drives are capable of.
richbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #13
emax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post

Thank you!!! i missed his "b", i assumed is MByte. Thats makes a huge differnce ( basically divided by 8). So my 30MB on my Romio is not bad at all comparing to him.

When saw his speeds, i was like did i get screwed on my Romio? I get those speeds on my gaming machine.

Now i feel better. thx again
Old 01-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
emax

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrew View Post
The simplified version of all that is to say that a 180Mb/s network transfer rate equates to 22.5MB/s hard drive write speed, well below what even mechanical (not SSD) drives are capable of.
agree, i missed his "b"