TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
TheChosenOne-

Need to upgrade original storage got some questions please help!

Got the 500GB Roamio 3+ months ago and I only record things in standard definition but I almost run out of room. Just curious if I remove the original HDD, put a new HDD then maybe 6 months from now I wanted to view an old show again on the original HDD, can I take out the replacement HDD, put back the original and the shows will be there to watch again? Also which HDDs would you guys recommend? I want at least a 3TB drive that is on sale/good price right now. And is there a video on other instructions on how to take the HDD out? Thanks!
TheChosenOne- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Roamio Hard Drive Upgrade Thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507695

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
TheChosenOne-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Thanks. How about my other question? If I decide to watch something again from my old/original HDD, I can just put it back in the Tivo again and all my shows would still be there and it would be watchable right? I don't know where I read this but I read if we do something everything would be erased on the HDD. I just want to double check. Also can you guys recommend me the best 2-3tb HDD for a good price?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

You should be able to swap HDDs back and forth, just to watch recordings on the old HDD.

If you want to record on the old HDD, then you will need to re-run Guided setup and get the CableCARD re-paired. Rinse and repeat as you swap back and forth. (I believe, I have not tested)

Recommended 3TB HDDs, listed by my preference (IMO)

WD30EURS - Western Digital WD AV-GP 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
http://www.amazon.com/AV-GP-3TB-Vide...dp/B004W9BKE0/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136926

WD30EURX - Western Digital WD AV-GP 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...dp/B00DXFEQGI/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236602

WD30EFRX - Western Digital Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Har...dp/B008JJLW4M/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236344 - approx 40% bad reviews for DOA from NewEgg here, NewEgg has a bad reputation for packaging Bare OEM HDDs. Although I have never had a problem with NewEgg.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne- View Post
Thanks. How about my other question? If I decide to watch something again from my old/original HDD, I can just put it back in the Tivo again and all my shows would still be there and it would be watchable right? I don't know where I read this but I read if we do something everything would be erased on the HDD. I just want to double check. Also can you guys recommend me the best 2-3tb HDD for a good price?
You could switch drive BUT you may have to re-pair your cable card is some areas, like Comcast in CT, one way around this is to remove the cable card before you change the drive to the old one, after watching what you want put the new drive back in and than put the cable card in, no re-pairing would be needed.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
TheChosenOne-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
You could switch drive BUT you may have to re-pair your cable card is some areas, like Comcast in CT, one way around this is to remove the cable card before you change the drive to the old one, after watching what you want put the new drive back in and than put the cable card in, no re-pairing would be needed.
What would re-pairing do? Does the Bay Area need to do this?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

Are you limited from just moving these to a PC first? Your suggested process is a PITA.

I would either move, purchase the content, or put in a few whishlists to pick up missing items in the future.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
TheChosenOne-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Are you limited from just moving these to a PC first? Your suggested process is a PITA.

I would either move, purchase the content, or put in a few whishlists to pick up missing items in the future.
I can transfer stuff on my tivo to my PC but I thought switching Tivo's HDDs would be easier. Not sure what is a PITA
Old 01-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
sangs

Now, I don't know if this would work - though I'm sure there are plenty of forum members here that do - but what about housing the old drive in an external enclosure and just connecting it when you want to watch the old programming?
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
Now, I don't know if this would work - though I'm sure there are plenty of forum members here that do - but what about housing the old drive in an external enclosure and just connecting it when you want to watch the old programming?
You can't do that very easily as you need a direct SATA connection to the main TiVo drive cable, you could rig something up I guess to have both drives external so you could connect one or the other but that is PIA.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
jrtroo
User

PITA= pain in the a**

getting into your stack to open the box, re-pairing cablecards, connecting items that are really not meant to have wear and tear, rebooting - these all contribute to why it is a PITA.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
X2.....this is the solution if the op chooses to go this route.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote