TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 199 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #841
DigitalDawn

That's the one you need!
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #842
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen View Post
I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can get something.
I went from PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1401 to PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101
Nice, that's the right one!

Now if you could help us out with a reference # from comcast or something, so we can do this as well.

My last communication to the Executive Service group was returned with - "You probably need your signals checked by a technician"
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #843
GriffithStrife

Guys don't get to excited it seems keen is in an area that did not get 3001 firmware like Palm Beach County. So getting anyone at comcast to admit to it was individual will be impossible.
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #844
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffithStrife View Post
Guys don't get to excited it seems keen is in an area that did not get 3001 firmware like Palm Beach County. So getting anyone at comcast to admit to it was individual will be impossible.
This is probably 100% accurate. To date, I've spoken with three representatives from this office. Each have claimed that this is news to them, and is a TIVO problem, not a Comcast problem. That their cards support six tuners and work as designed. (The X1 is the common pointer for equipment) and they even suggest that the X1/2 will support up to 8 tuners with the new PK809 card coming soon.

I have a new, fourth, rep now that I'm in a email conversation with, so we'll see how that turns out.

I'm going to just keep trying till I hit the right one, or until Comcast upgrades my area.

One of them did indicate that there was a pre-trial in south Florida for the new firmware, and that it caused a number of problems, so they rolled them all back. - just an FYI
Old 01-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #845
PaperFriend

Spent an hour on the phone. Called Tivo, that called Comcast. No one could get my cablecard updated. Still getting v58 errors on my 6th tuner.
PaperFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #846
hornmustang

So after reading these last few posts I decided to give comcastcares a chance. I tweeted them last night, and they quickly responded asking for my contact information. This morning a representative called me to get more information. She said someone would follow up with me today. Jonathan from my local (zip 30041) "field team" called me this afternoon. He told me that all Comcast cablecards are the same, and that they all have the same firmware. He also told me that cablecards are one-way devices, meaning that the cablecard talks to Comcast but Comcast cannot talk to the cablecard. Since this is the case, Jonathan said the cablecard can not be updated! Geez! What a line of BS! He offered to send a tech with a new cable card, but he said since they were all the same this would not fix my problem. I told him I only wanted a new cablecard if it came with the updated firmware. Again he told me that the firmware on all of the cards is the same, so I told them there was no point in just swapping out of date cards. He then offered to forward my information to "Engineering" for more investigation. Now what are the chances that my information actually goes to an actual engineer that understands cablecard technology? The quest continues...
hornmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #847
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornmustang View Post
So after reading these last few posts I decided to give comcastcares a chance. I tweeted them last night, and they quickly responded asking for my contact information. This morning a representative called me to get more information. She said someone would follow up with me today. Jonathan from my local (zip 30041) "field team" called me this afternoon. He told me that all Comcast cablecards are the same, and that they all have the same firmware. He also told me that cablecards are one-way devices, meaning that the cablecard talks to Comcast but Comcast cannot talk to the cablecard. Since this is the case, Jonathan said the cablecard can not be updated! Geez! What a line of BS! He offered to send a tech with a new cable card, but he said since they were all the same this would not fix my problem. I told him I only wanted a new cablecard if it came with the updated firmware. Again he told me that the firmware on all of the cards is the same, so I told them there was no point in just swapping out of date cards. He then offered to forward my information to "Engineering" for more investigation. Now what are the chances that my information actually goes to an actual engineer that understands cablecard technology? The quest continues...
This is comparable to my scenarios thus far as well. The exception being no one has offered to refer to engineering for me.

What's a bummer, is that this firmware fixes the issue. If we could only get it.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #848
hornmustang

So Jonathan called me back to tell me that he had spoken with Engineering. Engineering told him that 6 tuner support was not available in my area, and that there is no ETA for the upgrade in my area. This is a disappointing answer, but at least it seems to be accurate.
hornmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #849
GriffithStrife

Guys from what I have been told by the FCC it is illegal for Comcast not to support 6 tuners if their own equipment supports 6 tuners. Here in Houston the x1 supports 6 tuners so it is illegal for the cable card provided by them not to support 6 tuners. What we must do is all pull our strength and stop talking about and stop whining and file a class action lawsuit not just for this. But for OnDemand not being available to all areas for PPV not working when in fact it should and used to and, for charging us 9.95 per cable card when the website clearly state first card free 2.50 for each additional card. Might I add no one even mentions an outlet fee till you get the bill.

We all complain like dummies to one another we need to step this thing up. We are paying for service we should not be treated like 2nd class citizens because we choose to use Tivos instead of Comcast's horrible equipment.

I have contacted a few lawyers none of them seem like the guy, but I am still looking. If you know anyone PM if you don't feel comfortable posting in public.
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #850
Keen

I think the person who helped me was out of the office today. I left a voicemail, but every time I called today I was sent straight to voicemail.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #851
PaperFriend

Quote:
Guys from what I have been told by the FCC it is illegal for Comcast not to support 6 tuners if their own equipment supports 6 tuners. Here in Houston the x1 supports 6 tuners so it is illegal for the cable card provided by them not to support 6 tuners. What we must do is all pull our strength and stop talking about and stop whining and file a class action lawsuit not just for this. But for OnDemand not being available to all areas for PPV not working when in fact it should and used to and, for charging us 9.95 per cable card when the website clearly state first card free 2.50 for each additional card. Might I add no one even mentions an outlet fee till you get the bill.

We all complain like dummies to one another we need to step this thing up. We are paying for service we should not be treated like 2nd class citizens because we choose to use Tivos instead of Comcast's horrible equipment.

I have contacted a few lawyers none of them seem like the guy, but I am still looking. If you know anyone PM if you don't feel comfortable posting in public.
I am in Houston also and I am not happy that I am limited to 5 tuners!
PaperFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #852
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornmustang View Post
So Jonathan called me back to tell me that he had spoken with Engineering. Engineering told him that 6 tuner support was not available in my area, and that there is no ETA for the upgrade in my area. This is a disappointing answer, but at least it seems to be accurate.
What area are you in?

FWIW: I'm in Harford County Maryland - and am told the x1 supports six tuners.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:06 AM   #853
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by kealoha311 View Post
Just started getting these V58/V53 errors on Friday. The Plus I have has been working fine with a Moto 6.25FW cable card from Frontier FiOS since I got it in back in August. It seems to cause all the tuners to go black before either the V58 or V53 error comes up. I need to do more experiments to see what triggers it, but so far it seems to be when shows are recorded on Syfy. I guess the first this to try is to drop down to 6 tuners. I just wanted to post what is going on, since it sounds like the Moto with 6.25 is supposed to be one of the trouble free configurations, and it was working great for over 6 months.
I'm having trouble with Frontier FiOS too. They shipped me a new Moto card with 6.25, but no luck. I got it set up two days ago, and tonight was the first time that my tuners got a real workout. With all the tuners active, I got severe pixelation and several recordings are incomplete.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #854
DigitalDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntc View Post
This is probably 100% accurate. To date, I've spoken with three representatives from this office. Each have claimed that this is news to them, and is a TIVO problem, not a Comcast problem. That their cards support six tuners and work as designed. (The X1 is the common pointer for equipment) and they even suggest that the X1/2 will support up to 8 tuners with the new PK809 card coming soon.

I have a new, fourth, rep now that I'm in a email conversation with, so we'll see how that turns out.

I'm going to just keep trying till I hit the right one, or until Comcast upgrades my area.

One of them did indicate that there was a pre-trial in south Florida for the new firmware, and that it caused a number of problems, so they rolled them all back. - just an FYI
That is complete BS. Only a handful of folks here in PBC had their cable cards rolled back, and to my knowledge, none of them were TiVo's.

"Only a very small number of cablecards were rolled back in this area of Florida. My understanding is that none of these were in TiVO devices. "

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...67519#U1967519
Old 01-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #855
squiddohio

I just installed my swell new Roamio Pro yesterday. I'm on TWC in Southern Ohio. I'm able to pick up the M-Card and call the cable card number myself, which I have done before. Everything went smoothly and the card received a signal on all six tuners, which I immediately set to record six different shows, just to be sure everything was operating as it should, because I have been reading this discussion with some trepidation. I'm no cable technician, but I would think that the problems that some are experiencing in getting all six tuners fired up is due to something with the local system rather than something with the card or the TiVo. All I can say with certainty, however, is that we seem to be having no problems with Time Warner in Cincinnati.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #856
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddohio View Post
I just installed my swell new Roamio Pro yesterday. I'm on TWC in Southern Ohio. I'm able to pick up the M-Card and call the cable card number myself, which I have done before. Everything went smoothly and the card received a signal on all six tuners, which I immediately set to record six different shows, just to be sure everything was operating as it should, because I have been reading this discussion with some trepidation. I'm no cable technician, but I would think that the problems that some are experiencing in getting all six tuners fired up is due to something with the local system rather than something with the card or the TiVo. All I can say with certainty, however, is that we seem to be having no problems with Time Warner in Cincinnati.
What firmware do you have installed on your cablecard? It's a firmware issue, plain and simple.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #857
BobCamp1

Quote:

If the X1 supports six tuners, and the Ceton HTPC supports six tuners, but the Tivo is limited to 5 tuners, guess who has the problem? Are you sure you're going to sue the correct company here?

The CableCards support six tuners. It complies with the FCC and CableCard regulations. There's an incompatibility between that CableCard firmware and the Tivo that doesn't exist with all other products, one of which is a third-party product! It's not surprising, since the CableCard standard is weak when it comes to multiple tuner operation and testing.

This happens all the time in other industries. Bluetooth, cell phones, etc. Bluetooth even has an UnPlugFest where everyone brings their product to see if it's compatible with other Bluetooth devices. Usually in this situation, Tivo is the one that addresses the incompatibility since they are the only one having problems. Now if all third-party products were having problems, or there was a blatant failure to meet the specification, then the responsibility would fall on the cable company and CableCard manufacturer.

It's nice that the very latest CableCard firmware is compatible with Tivo, but if that firmware release isn't being used almost everywhere than it doesn't mean very much.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #858
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
If the X1 supports six tuners, and the Ceton HTPC supports six tuners, but the Tivo is limited to 5 tuners, guess who has the problem? Are you sure you're going to sue the correct company here?

The CableCards support six tuners. It complies with the FCC and CableCard regulations. There's an incompatibility between that CableCard firmware and the Tivo that doesn't exist with all other products, one of which is a third-party product! It's not surprising, since the CableCard standard is weak when it comes to multiple tuner operation and testing.

This happens all the time in other industries. Bluetooth, cell phones, etc. Bluetooth even has an UnPlugFest where everyone brings their product to see if it's compatible with other Bluetooth devices. Usually in this situation, Tivo is the one that addresses the incompatibility since they are the only one having problems. Now if all third-party products were having problems, or there was a blatant failure to meet the specification, then the responsibility would fall on the cable company and CableCard manufacturer.

It's nice that the very latest CableCard firmware is compatible with Tivo, but if that firmware release isn't being used almost everywhere than it doesn't mean very much.
Sadly, I believe you are probably correct. I wonder if TiVo is doing anything to try to fix the problem--or even if it can be fixed in software? I don't have much hope for the cable companies to want to fix this if it only happens with Roamios.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #859
HarperVision

Quote:
If you're in an SDV area, try recording 6 SDV channels.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #860
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post

Ditto Bob! I've been saying that since almost day one while I had both the Roamio Pro and a Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

Sadly, I believe you are probably correct. I wonder if TiVo is doing anything to try to fix the problem--or even if it can be fixed in software? I don't have much hope for the cable companies to want to fix this if it only happens with Roamios.
TiVo did release a software version recently that attempts to retune channels. It works pretty well for me, not sure about others. Probably because I have a recent but not very latest FW, 153.0601 or something like that.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #861
jntc

Woot!

Seems I hit the jackpot!

We'll see when I get home!

Mr. XXXXXXXX,

I have given your information to my engineers, and they have added your
card to the list of cards to receive the updated firmware. It may take
24-48 hours to update. Please let me know if I can be of additional
assistance.

Executive Customer Relations Team
Comcast Cable

If I do get the upgrade, I have the name, number, and case number that I can pass along.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #862
jwbelcher

Haha, with 2 weeks to spare on the return window. Congrats, guess it shows persistence pays off...
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #863
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Haha, with 2 weeks to spare on the return window. Congrats, guess it shows persistence pays off...
You got that right. It was all getting boxed up and going back if not. I didn't want to get stuck in "upgrade soon" and tied in to a year contract with no recourse should comcast say they aren't upgrading soon enough.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #864
DigitalDawn

Quote:
Seems I hit the jackpot!

Mr. XXXXXXXX,

assistance.

Comcast Cable

If I do get the upgrade, I have the name, number, and case number that I can pass along.
Great news. Let us know how it goes. Don't forget to reboot your TiVo after the update.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #865
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Just as a point of clarification, in Cincy you are in the TWC "Southwest Ohio" region, which includes from north of Dayton down to Cincy. I know Columbus is in a different region. I'm not sure what region south-central Ohio (e.g., Portsmouth) is in - but doubt it is SW Ohio.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #866
squiddohio

Update from SW Ohio.
First, I'm not sure about the firmware on the card, but I did copy the card before installing it, and the card has a date of 3/27/2009, followed by HW 1.2 "F." Other than that, I'd have to look on one of the info screens sometime. If you want that info, let me know and I'll look and post it.
When I later called back TW (the Cable Card Hot Line) last night to pair up the Tuning Adapter, we were talking about the 6 tuners, and the tech said something about the MultiStream cards staying two tuners ahead of current technology - if devices are on the market having six tuners, then the cards are designed to handle 8 so they are ready for the next wave of devices.
Also, I got one strange message from the TiVo when I plugged in the TA. A screen popped up and said something about the TiVo having 6 tuners and saying that the attached TA could not handle that many. I mentioned this to the tech who said that did not make a lot of sense due to the way the TA, the Cable Card, the TiVo and TW communicated. I did not follow all of it, but I think the gist of his comments were that the TA could handle any number of tuners and I should not be concerned. Anyway he paired it up and SDV stations are being received. This afternoon I will find some SDV stations and set each tuner to record so that I can be sure that all 6 tuners can get SDV at the same time. If the Tuning Adapter explodes at that time, expect another post here.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #867
jntc

Quote:
Seems I hit the jackpot!

Mr. XXXXXXXX,

assistance.

Comcast Cable

Nothing as of yet... I've unplugged both the Tivo and the cablecard a few times, but no update yet.

24-48 hours... wonder if that's 'business hours'
Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #868
DigitalDawn

Let things sit for another day or so. If you don't get the update contact Comcast again.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #869
kealoha311

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
I'm having trouble with Frontier FiOS too. They shipped me a new Moto card with 6.25, but no luck. I got it set up two days ago, and tonight was the first time that my tuners got a real workout. With all the tuners active, I got severe pixelation and several recordings are incomplete.
I had issues again on Friday with recordings from Syfy. It worked fine recording from numerous other channels the rest of the week. Tonight is another night with Syfy shows recording, so I'm going to try and reduce the number of tuners to 5 and see if that helps.
kealoha311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #870
mike-d

Reply to Scify watching guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kealoha311 View Post
I had issues again on Friday with recordings from Syfy. It worked fine recording from numerous other channels the rest of the week. Tonight is another night with Syfy shows recording, so I'm going to try and reduce the number of tuners to 5 and see if that helps.
I had a similar issue getting certain channels to record and was not getting the not authorized message. Ended up being a bad coax cable. Check the channel signal strength using the tivo signal strength screen and check different channels. Bad signals seem to effect random channels with no pattern. In my case tuning to a low signal channel and grabbing the coax changed the signal strength, showing me the bad ground on my cable connection. I replaced the bad coupler and all is good now, with 5 of 6 tuners active. Perhaps this will help?
mike-d is offline   Reply With Quote