TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.41 average.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #181
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
It looks like he has satellite, cable and UHF. His cable layout is crackers.
Even if he does have all those, the whole thing is just wrong altogether - both of them. And the diplexers are certainly filtering any chance of MoCa to work.

We need a better description of what he is connecting.

Last edited by jntc : 01-12-2014 at 08:32 PM.
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #182
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntc View Post
Even if he does have all those, the whole thing is just wrong altogether - both of them. And the diplexers are certainly filtering any chance of MoCa to work.

We need a better description of what he is connecting.
I don't disagree but his setup looks overly complicated with numerous things that could cause MoCA to fail.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #183
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
It looks like he has satellite, cable and UHF. His cable layout is crackers.
That's completely impossible. I think he's trying to use diplexers to cut the MoCA in and out, but that's totally unnecessary.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #184
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
That's completely impossible. I think he's trying to use diplexers to cut the MoCA in and out, but that's totally unnecessary.
I think he did it just to get our goat... notice he hasn't been back.

jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #185
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntc View Post
I think he did it just to get our goat... notice he hasn't been back.

We call that a "hit and run".
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #186
patrickosmith

Config: MoCA, Tuning Adaptor, 2-GHz Splitters, Router, E-switch, Roamio Pro, Mini's

Attached diagrams shows working configuration with a Tuning Adaptor and MoCA network between Roamio Pro and Mini's via coax. Plus all the miscellaneous connections.

Note use of 2 GHz splitters for the MoCA Network.

Note use of POE to optimize MoCA performance.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TiVo_MoCA_config_2014_01_14_r2.pdf (64.9 KB, 77 views)
patrickosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #187
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickosmith View Post
Attached diagrams shows working configuration with a Tuning Adaptor and MoCA network between Roamio Pro and Mini's via coax. Plus all the miscellaneous connections.

Note use of 2 GHz splitters for the MoCA Network.

Note use of POE to optimize MoCA performance.
That should work, but it's WAY overthinking it. MoCA is meant to be mixed with everything else, and it doesn't need 2ghz splitters.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #188
patrickosmith

Total MoCA isolation from Tuning Adaptor's input

Well, my config might be more than I need, but, it works, and my "picture tiling glitches" on HD channels have completely ceased. In addition, the cable guys can no longer affect my internal MoCA network which is totally isolated. They can do whatever they want on their 1002-MHz-and-below-splitters and coax without affecting my internal-to-the-home-2-GHz-spltters-and-MoCA coax.

I'd like to test the data rate of my internal MoCA to see what I'm getting. I'm assuming that the 2-GHz splitters enable much higher signal to the Mini than 1-GHz splitters (but I have no idea what the difference in signal loss would be).
CC: CISCO Multi Stream (only 4 tuner capable)
TA: Cisco STA1520
Charter Communications - Massachusetts
patrickosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #189
sangs

Here's my questions for the MoCA networking experts.

I have FiOS, but I'm about to dump their flaky Actiontec router for a third-party router, an Apple Airport Extreme. Since all my TVs will be connected via Tivos or Minis, I no longer need the FiOS router. I currently have my Roamio Plus, Roamio Basic and one Mini connected directly via Ethernet. Two other Minis use Actiontec MoCA adapters, connected to them via an Ethernet cable.

When I remove the FiOS router from the equation, will I have to change or add anything to my setup? I'm specifically concerned about the MoCA adapters and whether or not they will continue working correctly. Also, will removing the FiOS router from the equation mean I need to install a POE filter? Thanks in advance.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #190
tatergator1

Since you have a Roamio Plus connected via Ethernet, you'll be able to use that to create the new MoCA network. You'll have to go into the Roamio's network settings, and change to MoCA+Ethernet. Existing devices should then pick-up MoCA again. You may need to reboot certain devices if you have issues connecting initially.

I'm confused about the 2 Mini's using Actiontec MoCA adapters. The Mini's have built in MoCA and would be able to connect via the Coax directly from the wal with no need for the adapters.

A POE filter is unnecessary on FiOS, the MoCA signal is can't pass through the ONT, so there's no need for the filter.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #191
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I'm confused about the 2 Mini's using Actiontec MoCA adapters. The Mini's have built in MoCA and would be able to connect via the Coax directly from the wal with no need for the adapters.
Oh, yeah, sorry about that. This is my second go-round with this Tivo setup. The first time through, trying to use MoCA for everything, it just wouldn't work correctly. I'd get connection errors and the like. I returned everything within the return window, because I didn't want to get stuck with a dysfunctional setup.

This time, I wanted everything to connect via an Ethernet cable, to see if that made any difference. So I brought the MoCA adapters into the equation and it has worked flawlessly. So that's why the adapters are there.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #192
Bigg

The MoCA in the minis should work just fine. My setup works fine with three splitters in between (up and back down) the Premiere and the Minis, and they only occasionally glitch.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:08 AM   #193
sangs

Quote:
Since you have a Roamio Plus connected via Ethernet, you'll be able to use that to create the new MoCA network. You'll have to go into the Roamio's network settings, and change to MoCA+Ethernet. Existing devices should then pick-up MoCA again. You may need to reboot certain devices if you have issues connecting initially.

A POE filter is unnecessary on FiOS, the MoCA signal is can't pass through the ONT, so there's no need for the filter.
And what of the Roamio Basic if I choose this setup? It's currently connected to a bridged router via Ethernet. If I switch to the Roamio Pro creating the MoCA network, will I then need to hook up the Roamio Basic to a MoCA adapter?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:16 AM   #194
tatergator1

Yes, you'd need a MoCA adapter at the Roamio Basic if you want to take that off Ethernet from the bridged router.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #195
sangs

Quote:
Yes, you'd need a MoCA adapter at the Roamio Basic if you want to take that off Ethernet from the bridged router.
Thanks very much tater. So to summarize:

Roamio Pro - Connect via Ethernet, create a MoCA network;
Roamio Basic - disconnect Ethernet, add MoCA adapter, switch to MoCA connection;
Minis - no need for MoCA adapter, just join Roamio Pro MoCA network through existing coax.

No need for POE, no need for MoCA adapter at the router. That about right?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #196
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
Thanks very much tater. So to summarize:

Roamio Pro - Connect via Ethernet, create a MoCA network;
Roamio Basic - disconnect Ethernet, add MoCA adapter, switch to MoCA connection;
Minis - no need for MoCA adapter, just join Roamio Pro MoCA network through existing coax.

No need for POE, no need for MoCA adapter at the router. That about right?
Sounds good.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #197
SnakeEyes

I:

-Will be getting a Roamio Plus that'll use ethernet to my modem's built-in router
-Have a Premiere 4 using Wifi.
-I'm also considering getting a Mini.

Ultimately it's the Premiere 4 that I want to be talking to the Mini though having both of them talking to the Mini would be a plus.

Can someone let me know what I need to do to make that happen?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #198
tatergator1

All of those devices support MoCA. You'll want to use the Roamio Plus to create the MoCA network since it'll be connected directly to the router. When setting up the Roamio, the network setup should have an option like "Create a MoCA network" select that and that will create the network. You'll then go to the Premiere 4 and go into it's network settings and change it to connect via MoCA. It should find the network and connect. During Mini setup, you 'll be able to select which TiVo you want to be the host and tell the Mini to use MoCA.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #199
SOCATivo

Question Setting Up MoCa with an amplifier in the loop.

I was wondering what the requirements were for frequencies on the coax to successfully achieve a MoCa setup. Here's my situation.

Downstairs, I have an XL4 connected via a 2-way 1005MHz splitter into the cable entry (input) and through a tuning adapter into the XL4 (the other output goes to the cable modem).

Upstairs I seem to have the main cable attached to an amplifier 50-900MHz, with some kind of power inverter three way device in there somehow (I did not install this, Cox did). The output from the amp goes into my Mini.

If I take the amplifier out of the loop, I can get a MoCa connection fine down to the XL4, playback stored programs (but no live TV). Unfortunately, if I do that, the internet stops working. Looks like the amp is in there for that maybe.

I tried moving the amp etc. onto another cable outlet in another room, but no luck. Short of calling out Cox, I was wondering if the 1000MHz was the issue, and look for a similar amp with that bandwidth. Buying one of those should be cheaper than a Cox visit.

Any suggestions? I do think my home coax is more complicated than it needs to be, for some reason there's at least two 3-way splitters in the outside cable box (where the cable comes into the house).

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #200
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCATivo View Post
Any suggestions? I do think my home coax is more complicated than it needs to be, for some reason there's at least two 3-way splitters in the outside cable box (where the cable comes into the house).

Thanks!
I would suggest that if possible you replace those 3-way splitters with a single 2-way splitter and 4-port amp or just a single 8-port amp.

I originally had an 8-port amp feeding my 4 TVs and a cable modem and it worked pretty well. But I have recently changed it to a 2-way splitter with one line going unamplified to my cable modem and the other line going to a 4-port amp and from the 4 port amp to the 4 TV's in my house. From what I've read, most cable modems tend to work best if they are unamplified in this way as long as the signal is strong enough.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #201
SOCATivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I would suggest that if possible you replace those 3-way splitters with a single 2-way splitter and 4-port amp or just a single 8-port amp.

I originally had an 8-port amp feeding my 4 TVs and a cable modem and it worked pretty well. But I have recently changed it to a 2-way splitter with one line going unamplified to my cable modem and the other line going to a 4-port amp and from the 4 port amp to the 4 TV's in my house. From what I've read, most cable modems tend to work best if they are unamplified in this way as long as the signal is strong enough.
Yes, but the problem is those 6 cables go somewhere and I don't know where. There's 6 cable points in the house and I only use 4. Plus, I didn't make it clear that the amp upstairs is a 4 port unit but only one input and output (plus the power inverter input). I don't even know why it's there or how it amplifies or affects (presumably) the signal to cable modem.

I'm not an expert on cable TV . I was hoping if it's a simple issue of bandwidth just replace the stupid amp upstairs and forget about it.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #202
Bigg

Quote:
Upstairs I seem to have the main cable attached to an amplifier 50-900MHz, with some kind of power inverter three way device in there somehow (I did not install this, Cox did). The output from the amp goes into my Mini.
I can't quite follow your setup... If the amp can't pass MoCA, you need a new amp, or if it has enough power, have everything with MoCA on a splitter downstream of the amp.

Modems can work fine through an amp, my parents have one that's been running that way for years.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #203
SOCATivo

Quote:
I can't quite follow your setup... If the amp can't pass MoCA, you need a new amp, or if it has enough power, have everything with MoCA on a splitter downstream of the amp.

Modems can work fine through an amp, my parents have one that's been running that way for years.
I'm fine with getting a new amp. Just wondered if it was definitely the 50-900MHz causing the issue. I think it is. I will buy a new one and post results.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #204
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
I'm fine with getting a new amp. Just wondered if it was definitely the 50-900MHz causing the issue. I think it is. I will buy a new one and post results.
There's a decent chance the 900 MHz limit is blocking the moca, yeah. A bi-directional 1000+ MHz unit would be better.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #205
SOCATivo

I fixed the problem (well, the cable guy did).

There were two amps, a booster in the room and something which powered another amp in the outside wall cavity where the cables came into the house. When I removed the in-room amp, the power was cut to the second, making it act like a choke and cutting off all RF into the house.

We simplified the cabling in the house and routing, and put a new power supply back to the in wall amp, and all works again.

My situation for some reason had got so complicated (and this was probably done 6-8 years ago) that it took Kevin the cable guy (10/10 for knowledge and willingness to help - thanks Cox!) to sort it out.

Now my XL4 and Mini are working great. Next is to see if I can get my XBMC PC next to the Mini. I think I need some kind of Moca/Ethernet hub for that as I'll need Ethernet there.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #206
Bigg

Quote:
I fixed the problem (well, the cable guy did).

There were two amps, a booster in the room and something which powered another amp in the outside wall cavity where the cables came into the house. When I removed the in-room amp, the power was cut to the second, making it act like a choke and cutting off all RF into the house.

We simplified the cabling in the house and routing, and put a new power supply back to the in wall amp, and all works again.

My situation for some reason had got so complicated (and this was probably done 6-8 years ago) that it took Kevin the cable guy (10/10 for knowledge and willingness to help - thanks Cox!) to sort it out.

Now my XL4 and Mini are working great. Next is to see if I can get my XBMC PC next to the Mini. I think I need some kind of Moca/Ethernet hub for that as I'll need Ethernet there.
Good! That sounds a little scary though... an in-wall amp? How do you get to it if it breaks?

You can just get a regular MoCA adapter and an ethernet switch.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #207
Bigg

Also, you'd only need the switch if you want to plug in more than one Ethernet device.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #208
SOCATivo

Quote:
Also, you'd only need the switch if you want to plug in more than one Ethernet device.
Which I might. These projects have a habit of growing .
Old 02-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #209
Bigg

Quote:
Which I might. These projects have a habit of growing .
Nice. Then grab one off Amazon or Newegg for $30. Amazing how cheap they are now.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #210
lnardinelli6

Help, please please. I'm good with IP and cat 6 but lost in the coax world. Please check my MOCA drawing for Roamio (4 turner without MOCA bridge) and Mini. Is it right?

Two questions:
1. Would it be better to use a four-way splitter to allow the cable modem to be directly connected (so that traffic between the LAN and Internet didn't have to go through the MOCA bridge). I'm using the Actiontec bridge. Is it a potential network throttle point if placed upstream from the cable modem and my Router?
2. The 130' run to the Mini: The RG6 is good, but it has one barrel connector outside. Is this likely to work OK or will I probably need an amplifier?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf moca network v 1.pdf (69.8 KB, 26 views)
lnardinelli6 is offline   Reply With Quote