TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
steinbch

New Pandora App?

Has anyone gotten access to the new Pandora app? I've tried forcing a connection and restarting the Roamio, but I still have the same old interface. The App Update announcement made it seem like we'd be getting the new HTML5 interface. All I see is the standard TiVo pandora interface.
steinbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
moyekj

Haven't seen it either. However, I'm fine with the existing HME Pandora App as it has always worked well for me and I use it a lot. It's one of the best HME apps TiVo has released.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
rainwater

Does the new Pandora app support DIAL? I know Pandora mobile apps support Chromecast so it would be cool if the TiVo app can be controlled from Android/iOS.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I was just going to ask this same question.

I see it listed in the Discovery Bar, but Pandora looks the same to me. It works fine now, I hope the update does not mess too much with it's operation. I do not like the Pandora App on my SamsungTV, it has Tabs across the top for the stations, I hope that is not the app we will be getting.

I would rather see the new HuluPlus UI, Rhapsody has a new HTML5 UI now too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-12-2014 at 06:27 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I assume this is what we will be getting, as it is the same on the Samsung TV.
https://tv.pandora.com/

Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Haven't seen it either. However, I'm fine with the existing HME Pandora App as it has always worked well for me and I use it a lot. It's one of the best HME apps TiVo has released.
Yep this is one of those apps that I wished they never updated, because it's probably the best one they have.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
jgametest

Never mind, I have already sent 3 connections to TiVo and rebooted 4 times that made no difference. My thinking, this may come down the line either late tonight or early tomorrow. It also seems to be that many apps will start coming down the pipe with the TiVo's being on one version. I can't confirm, but in the description of TiVo.com/apps it says Pandora is available for Series 2-5. No impact to me, but for those that have no updated it could be a goodbye to the app or another nudge to try Live365 again.
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
Philmatic

Where are you guys seeing the new app announcement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I assume this is what we will be getting, as it is the same on the Samsung TV.
https://tv.pandora.com/
You can test drive it yourself here: https://tv.pandora.com/?model=xbox&a...senmsitdfuli3a
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Look in Showcases.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
You can test drive it yourself here: https://tv.pandora.com/?model=xbox&a...senmsitdfuli3a
I was able to run the above URL on my Roamio using kmttg Remote->Web tab and I found it TERRIBLE compared to the existing HME Pandora App. I really hope that's not what we are being updated to...

Old 01-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

That seems good to me. At least when testing it through a Chrome Browser.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:21 AM   #12
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I received the new Pandora UI on my Minis and Roamio Pro tonight. I just noticed the message about the new Pandora is not listed in the Showcases on my Premieres.

Currently, both Pandora Apps are listed and both work, I assume the old one will disappear in a few days.

I really do not like the new UI, but oh well, it works...

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-17-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:38 AM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

I got it too. Even weirder is it remembers me from back when I tried running the XBox version through kmttg. I didn't even have to log-in. It immediately started playing the "station" I was attempting to play months ago via the Xbox version.

I also have the old one listed. I've never used that one so it doesn't have me logged in. I also have two copies of Spotify, but they seem to launch the same app. Or maybe one is HTML5 and the other is Air and they just look the same? I don't use that either so I've never looked at it before.

Seems like most of the apps are being converted to HTML5. Which is a good thing in my opinion as they run way better on a Premiere then the old Air apps and look better then the HME apps.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
moyekj

I hope they leave the HME version accessible but I doubt it will stick around for long...

Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
Headford

New UI is a big step backwards

I now both have old and new Pandora and Spotify apps. New one with new icon at top of music app list -- old one below Spotify apps.

Seems Pandora is streamlining and making UI uniform and minimalistic across platforms. Least common denominator effect -- TiVo users now have an underpowered and unattractive UI. Navigation back and forth to top right and then to controls for individual songs is not easy (you need to keep squinting to see what is highlighted -- you used to be able to easily control app from a far distance).

Let's hope they allow us who prefer Coke Classic to keep old one and not force the focus group tested New Coke down our throats.
Headford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #16
JohnnyO
Crimper

I currently have the new version as well as the old.

Things I noticed:

1) I had to sign-in again. PITA on the basic remote control.
2) UI looks OK. I'm listening now, hoping that the "screen saver" type display kicks in at some point. I have a plasma TV, and still want to avoid any screen burn-in OK - Screen Saver kicked in after about 6 minutes. Looks better/clearer than the old UI here.
3) Can't use Channel Up/Down to page-up/page-down the list of stations. I have 3 pages of stations on the new UI.
4) - And the biggest issue: How do you exit back to TiVo Central? I'm using to hitting the left directional to leave Pandora back to TiVo Central in the older UI. Left directional just looks me through the 5 pandora controls. If I hit back, I go back to Live TV. The TiVo button will get me back there, but I have to change my habits. Oh well, progress, right?

So -- does feedback go to Pandora, or TiVo? Any preferred method/email address been published for that?]

John

Last edited by JohnnyO : 01-17-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: show the screen saver is working
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #17
atmuscarella

I am also testing new version out now. As with anything new there is a learning curve but I don't see anything major that will make me like this version more or less than the older one.

Screen saver kicked in during the 4th song from the start (third after I stopped messing with remote) after skipping a song it kicked in again during the third song.

The channel up button skips to the next song if anyone cares.

Also after going back and forth between the new and old app, I can say with certainty that on my Roamio the new app is more responsive.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 01-17-2014 at 09:36 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #18
moyekj

What happened to bookmark functionality?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
rainwater

I like the new app so far. They do need to add some more button mappings (numbers in keypad entry, channel up/down for scrolling, and back for exiting). But other than that, it is quite nice and it loads really fast for me.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #20
JohnnyO
Crimper

Interesting observation.

I've had Pandora running for 3 hours now. The music just stopped, and the screen saver switched to a box with a message asking if I was still listening. The message went on to say that they pay for music that is played, and that they don't want to play to an empty room.

Seems reasonable.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #21
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Interesting observation.

I've had Pandora running for 3 hours now. The music just stopped, and the screen saver switched to a box with a message asking if I was still listening. The message went on to say that they pay for music that is played, and that they don't want to play to an empty room.

Seems reasonable.
Another negative vs the HME version. The HME version never prompted you if you were still listening.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

But given the reasoning in prompt it makes sense. They don't want to pay for plays if no one is actually listening.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #23
tatergator1

The web client for Pandora has behaved like that for years. The HTML5 update has merely made it easier to implement the existing web client functionality on other devices.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Interesting observation.

Seems reasonable.
i wonder if they will do that for the paid Pandora suscriptions?
Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
steinbch

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Another negative vs the HME version. The HME version never prompted you if you were still listening.
I had the HME prompt me (and I'm a paid subscriber). I've only ever seen it happen once, but definitely occurred in the past two months.
steinbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #26
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbch View Post
I had the HME prompt me (and I'm a paid subscriber). I've only ever seen it happen once, but definitely occurred in the past two months.
I never got that. A couple of times I accidentally let it run all weekend long without noticing and it just kept going. The new behavior does make sense obviously for Pandora (and as stated has always been the case with web clients), but I liked the old behavior better as a customer.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #27
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Interesting observation.

I've had Pandora running for 3 hours now. The music just stopped, and the screen saver switched to a box with a message asking if I was still listening.
Second interesting observation.

After listening to Pandora on my TiVo Roamio for another 30 minutes, I switched over to my Apple TV and listened to iTunes Radio (also connected to my receiver like my TiVo, so I can get the benefit of my good speakers). After three hours iTunes Radio paused and gave me a similar prompt asking if I was still there and listening.

I guess I don't often listen for more than a couple of hours...
Old 01-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #28
celtic pride

I tried the new pandora app but i dont like that i have to sign back in everytime i leave the app and come back to it later,Will it ever remember me like my old pandora app? I f not i'll just continue to use the older version. BTW i just tried the new app again today and to use it i have to sign in again! For now i'll just stick to the old one.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
I tried the new pandora app but i dont like that i have to sign back in everytime i leave the app and come back to it later,Will it ever remember me like my old pandora app? I f not i'll just continue to use the older version. BTW i just tried the new app again today and to use it i have to sign in again! For now i'll just stick to the old one.
I tried it a couple of times today. I only had to sign in the first time I used it. The second time it just started up with me already logged in.
EDIT: I just tried it again and I didn't need to log in again.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:10 AM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Same here. In fact I had logged in a few months ago by launching the XBox version on my TiVo using kmttg and when I launched the official version it still remembered me from that, so I never had to log in at all when I tried it yesterday.