TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #61
secondclaw

I like that the executive chef of each team is a volunteer this time, instead of a winner of previous competition. At least they have the choice to risk it all, pretty much understanding what the consequences are.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #62
Agatha Mystery

Okay, so biscuits and gravy? And he screwed up the biscuits? How simple a dish is that? That must have been some damned good gravy and jam. I expected them to slam him for it.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #63
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Baking is simple, so it's extremely hard to get it just right. As for biscuits and gravy? I've had (and made) my fair share over the years and only a couple have really shined (not mine). I wonder if he bracketed his baking times? What did he need, 12 biscuits per batch? Make 3 batches (or more) and bake one under, over and just right. That would seem prudent when using an unfamiliar oven.

He was never going all the way in this competition. He seemed a bit young and inexperienced compared with some of the other chefs. He shined in restaurant wars and probably got all he could out of the show. I doubt he's too disappointed, his salary and/or investment potential went way up.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #64
TheDewAddict
No Mercy

One of the judges said something like "I'm suprised he served those biscuits to us." Now, I get the critique when a chef screws something up and still serves, it, especially when the screwed up item is a side part of the dish. However, his whole dish was biscuits and gravy. What should he have done, just give them a bowl of gravy and jam?

I also didn't think it was fair to critique the guy who did the streak for not grilling it when the restaurant had no grill. I would think the chefs should be given a list ahead of time that lists the equipment available at the restaurant. If they get it, and he still choose to do "grilled" steak, then send him home, but if he had no idea the restaurant wouldn't have a grill, it's not really his fault.
TheDewAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #65
Agatha Mystery

Dew, I agree. Steak dude wasn't going to go home because of the missing grill. I really think that their commentary had more to do with the choice of meat than the lack of grill. There was obviously some flavor loss, but I think they were willing to forgive that. It's just that those flavors didn't go well with NY strip, rather than some other fattier meat (or a different animal).

They only had an hour when they were there. The biscuit gravy dude made the gravy the day before (and the jam, I assume). So, aside from heating the gravy (unless he started from scratch and made a new batch), why didn't he have time to make a second batch? I guess his biscuits take too long to cook. He should have planned for them to come out a little earlier and then kept them warm.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #66
sharkster

Aw darn! This episode I decided to really pay attention and try to find somebody I like in this season. I picked the tall blonde kid and he gets the kibosh. Well, I cannot say that he didn't deserve it, though. How can you be a chef and screw up biscuits?
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #67
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I think it's between Nicholas, Nina and maybe Stephanie. I'd bet on Nicholas if he can hold his emotions together.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #68
Craigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
I think it's between Nicholas, Nina and maybe Stephanie. I'd bet on Nicholas if he can hold his emotions together.
I think Nicholas, Nina and Shirley in the final.

I agree that Brian wasn't going to go home for his missing a grill. All of the comments were about how it needed that smoky charcoaly flavor that can only be gotten over real fire.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #69
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I haven't liked Travis for some time, so I was not sorry to see him go.

Also, he tried to lie, which never goes down well (in the kitchen, she said he'd used too much butter and in front of the judges he said the kitchen was too hot!). Either way, it seemed way too simplistic a dish to present as fine dining and if you can't cook something as basic as biscuits, then there's no way you get a pass!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #70
pmyers

Don't serve biscuits and gravy.......duh
pmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #71
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I haven't liked Travis for some time, so I was not sorry to see him go. Also, he tried to lie, which never goes down well (in the kitchen, she said he'd used too much butter and in front of the judges he said the kitchen was too hot!). Either way, it seemed way too simplistic a dish to present as fine dining and if you can't cook something as basic as biscuits, then there's no way you get a pass!
I'd have to go back and verify to be sure, but I think in the kitchen he said there were problems with the butter, and later with the judges he said the kitchen was too hot. Since butter needs to be cold when making biscuits, he might have been talking about the same thing, just from different perspectives. Not that I want to defend the guy, because I hated him too.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #72
cherry ghost

Ep 13 - 01-08-14

That was interesting. Not sure what I'd do in Nicholas' position, but I would have liked to see him resign since I'm growing a little tired of him. Pulling for Shirley at this point.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #73
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I think it was a manufactured dilemma. They could have easily decided to choose the other team because the second/third worst were on their team.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #74
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

There went Stephanie and Shirley with more of their holier-than-thou crap. "If I had the worst dish with immunity, I would give it up." *cough*BS*cough*
Old 01-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #75
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I think the judges should have asked Nick if he would have made the same dish if he didn't have immunity. If the answer is yes, which it is almost certain to be, given his pride, THEN he should have had the opportunity to fall on his sword.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #76
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Total BS. Not once did the judges suggest that someone with immunity should resign before and to put Nick on the spot was totally unfair. It is a game. The rules gave him immunity. Everyone DEAL WITH IT. Don't ask him to give that up because he made a bad dish when his dish could have been a steaming log of crap.

So stupid. And those girls suggesting they would give up their immunity and walk away from 100k prize, etc? LYING SKANKS!
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #77
goblue97
Hoke-amania

I have a question/comment. I believe it was early in the Season 1, maybe even the very first episode, where one of the contestants stuck their finger in a pot to taste it. The guest chef went ballistic on the contestant and I'm pretty sure that he/she was sent home. Lately, I see the contestants do this all the time. Not to mention how many times they use a spoon and go back a second time with the same spoon. Is this okay now or am I missing something?
goblue97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #78
jradosh
Newlywed

I agree that this is a game and there's no way they should have expected him to resign. It's not "honors society Top Chef". In fact, strategically, it would have been in his best interest to cook crap knowing there's a good chance a top competitor could have gotten the boot. Of course that kind of thing can come back to bite you in the ass...

But I sure am tired of his attitude and would be happy to see him go home next week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #79
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I'd like to think that in Nick's position I would say "My dishes sucked, and I'll fall on my sword. I'll kick everyone's ass in LCK and still win". In reality, I'd say I had immunity and TS if you don't like it.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #80
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
I have a question/comment. I believe it was early in the Season 1, maybe even the very first episode, where one of the contestants stuck their finger in a pot to taste it. The guest chef went ballistic on the contestant and I'm pretty sure that he/she was sent home. Lately, I see the contestants do this all the time. Not to mention how many times they use a spoon and go back a second time with the same spoon. Is this okay now or am I missing something?
They usually use a new spoon. I haven't seen blatantly obvious finger tasting or re-use of spoons, but it might be getting edited out.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #81
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I think it was a manufactured dilemma. They could have easily decided to choose the other team because the second/third worst were on their team.
+1
Mark my words - she will be back.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #82
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

She's been back twice - and kicked off by Emeril twice, so I doubt it - unless she does really well in LCK! (No spoilers for LCK!).
Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #83
Agatha Mystery

There has been a lot of poor tasting techniques this season
Old 01-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #84
secondclaw

That's the flaw of immunity, a chef with it can sabotage someone in team contest (not to say this was intentional) ... they should just give them some money for winning quick fire, and move on. Immunity essentially defeats the purpose of the show.
But, as the rule still stands, they should not have asked him to resign.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #85
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondclaw View Post
Immunity essentially defeats the purpose of the show.
The main through line of every reality show competition is immunity. This is a reality show competition so I don't see how that defeats the purpose of the show.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #86
secondclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
The main through line of every reality show competition is immunity. This is a reality show competition so I don't see how that defeats the purpose of the show.
Goal of the show is best chef, or whatever. Immunity defeats that, as already happened. I don't watch any other reality shows, so if they all do immunity thing, then so be it. Still seems like artificial drama.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #87
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Maybe only have immunity when it is NOT a team challenge.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #88
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Total BS. Not once did the judges suggest that someone with immunity should resign before and to put Nick on the spot was totally unfair. It is a game. The rules gave him immunity. Everyone DEAL WITH IT. Don't ask him to give that up because he made a bad dish when his dish could have been a steaming log of crap.

So stupid. And those girls suggesting they would give up their immunity and walk away from 100k prize, etc? LYING SKANKS!
totally agree. Also, immunity gives the chef the ability to take a chance and try something "out there" Maybe it doesn't work, but at least they tried.
pmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #89
secondclaw

That would be great in an individual competition. In a team competition this risk is totally unfair to the teammates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
totally agree. Also, immunity gives the chef the ability to take a chance and try something "out there" Maybe it doesn't work, but at least they tried.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #90
Agatha Mystery

Man, Roy Choi is kind of mean. 20 minutes to conceive, and cook a dish and make it awesome like he wanted it to just isn't enough time.