TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Under the Gunn S1 all-season thread spoilers to date

Lifetime's new show Under the Gunn starts tonight.

From the teasers, it seems to be a cross between Project Runway and The Taste.

Former Project Runway designers Anya Ayoung-Chee, Mondo Guerra, and Nick Verreos get to see if they have what it takes to be a mentor like Tim Gunn.

One of the judges is Zanna Roberts Rassi from PR All-Stars.

Quote:
With a new Emmy® Award in hand, Tim Gunn takes the reigns as host of Lifetime's new fashion competition series, "Under the Gunn," premiering January 16, 2014, at 9pm ET/PT. America's favorite mentor, Tim passes the torch to "Project Runway" alumni Mondo Guerra, Anya Ayoung-Chee and Nick Verreos, who have shown their prowess on the runway as contestants, but now must prove they have the vision and business savvy to mentor and manage a fashion empire with 15 new up-and-coming designers under their watch. Each mentor will have a team of designers they must manage, coach, cheerlead and, when necessary, knock down with tough love in order to lead them to runway success. This new crop of designers will face the critiques of designer Rachel Roy, celebrity stylist Jen Rade, creator of some of the most iconic red carpet looks in Hollywood, and TV fashion correspondent and Marie Claire Senior Fashion Editor Zanna Roberts Rassi.

In the first two episodes of "Under the Gunn,"
Spoiler:
Tim will present a race-around-the-clock challenge to the fashion hopefuls as Mondo, Anya and Nick measure the skill level of the contestants and duke it out to determine which four designers will land on their teams.
In the subsequent episodes, Tim will present new challenges that will test the mentors' ability to bring out the best in their designers as they guide them through the competition. While the designers are whittled down during the season, only the most talented and creative individuals will survive to compete in the finale, where one designer—and one mentor—will be deemed the winners of "Under the Gunn."
A request: can the first person to post about a new episode put the episode title and Air date in the post title or at the top of their post? Thanks!

P.S. yes, I spoilered the press release's description of the challenges in episodes one and two above because -- as I write this -- episode one hasn't finished airing on the East Coast yet, and hasn't aired in my time zone at all.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

"Who is Under the Gunn?" OAD 1/16/14

Finally got a chance to watch the first episode. This is the equivalent of the audition phase on The Taste, where the chefs/designers are evaluating half of the designers and picking their teams.

There's an interesting piece of gamesmanship in both shows because the mentors don't see the entire group of candidates at once. So it could be that good designers who happened to be put in the second group won't get picked for the show if the mentors don't already fill up all their slots.

It was a wow moment to see that one of the designers, at the start of this six-hour challenge, whipped out a lined bomber jacket and was moving on to the task of making the garment that would go underneath it, while some of his fellow designers were still messing about draping stuff on their forms. I haven't seen such an effective way of terrorizing your fellow competitors since Katarina Witt was making up choreography to other people's program music at the Olympics.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Tracy
Truly

I didn't like that shoulder-padded bomber jacket when it came out on the runway, but being a fast sewer is half the battle on shows like this. I can't believe the dude who made the dress with the hat and gloves was chosen over the cute wearable polka dot skirt and top. I suppose a hot mess makes better TV than a unexciting but cute dress.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Oh man, I missed the first episode, but have it set up on SP now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #5
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Oh man, I missed the first episode, but have it set up on SP now.
Episode #1 re-airs next week at 8 PM (in my time zone) immediately before Episode #2.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Episode #1 re-airs next week at 8 PM (in my time zone) immediately before Episode #2.
LOL of course it does! I hadn't checked but that makes sense for these shows. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
LOL of course it does! I hadn't checked but that makes sense for these shows. Thanks!
You might want to wait until after the episode to decide whether you want to thank me or not.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
Cainebj

Actually it reminds me much more of The Voice who stole their format from The X Factor - I don't watch The Taste so not sure who they ripped off.

My biggest gripe thus far is the mentors don't quite seem qualified to be mentors. I mean Blake Shelton and Adam Levine they are not. I continue my personal dislike of Mondo. Don't get it - don't know why people like him. His style is pretentious and as my mother would say - if he were chocolate he would eat himself. and Oy - those glasses - if that is his big new fashion line - i am mystified.

Interesting story from Tim Gunn - Lifetime scheduled a season of Project Runway without asking Heidi Klum who said she couldn't do it in their time frame so they asked Tim to do it without her - he said no Heidi no Tim and they came up with this for the interim slot before the next Project Runway.

and why is this being shot in LA?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Actually it reminds me much more of The Voice who stole their format from The X Factor - I don't watch The Taste so not sure who they ripped off.
It would be difficult for the show to remind you of another show you haven't seen.

(I haven't watched The Voice or the X Factor.)

Quote:
Interesting story from Tim Gunn - Lifetime scheduled a season of Project Runway without asking Heidi Klum who said she couldn't do it in their time frame so they asked Tim to do it without her - he said no Heidi no Tim and they came up with this for the interim slot before the next Project Runway.
Good for Tim.

Quote:
My biggest gripe thus far is the mentors don't quite seem qualified to be mentors. I mean Blake Shelton and Adam Levine they are not. I continue my personal dislike of Mondo. Don't get it - don't know why people like him. His style is pretentious and as my mother would say - if he were chocolate he would eat himself. and Oy - those glasses - if that is his big new fashion line - i am mystified.
I missed several seasons of PR because of cablecard issues. I have the DVDs, but I haven't watched them, because Lifetime keeps insisting on having some flavor of PR on all the time, and I don't want to be watching two different seasons at once. So I've only seen Mondo in all the other scenes where he appears, like the audition scenes and things like this.

But I think the answer to why these three were chosen is in your post. The reason PR works so well is that Tim is so good being the voice of reason in the workroom. We don't know if these three can do it; that is part of the hook for the show, to find out if they can.

And if you are going to pick three ex-PR designers to put on the show, wouldn't you want to choose the designers who are the fan favorites, or whose choice would cause the most controversy? Clearly Mondo was chosen because either 1) people love him or 2) people are mystified as to why people love him.

I forget which one of the guys pointed out that Anya had terrible time management and didn't finish any of her garments when she was on PR -- but then again, she isn't sewing, is she? So does it matter?

As far as the location, isn't this filmed at the school where Nick has been an instructor? The whole thing has the feel of an extended PR-next-gen audition for Nick, to see if he can transmogrify himself into a mentor.

That being said -- no one can replace Tim Gunn, which IMHO is the reason that so many of the PR-knockoffs (remember Top Design?) failed.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

"The Mentor Face Off" OAD 1/23/14

Tonight's episode is showing a new series title:

Quote:
Project Runway: Under the Gunn
The old SP picked it up here (TiVoHD).
Old 01-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

The twist I wish they had done:

Spoiler:
They could have started with 16 designers instead of 15, and had the four eliminated designers mentored by Tim himself.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
The twist I wish they had done:

Spoiler:
They could have started with 16 designers instead of 15, and had the four eliminated designers mentored by Tim himself.
OOHH! What a great idea-Tim Gunn, are you listening-season 2 idea here!

And I cannot BELIEVE they let Isabelle (AKA COO COO BANANAS) through....she will implode soon....
Old 01-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
OOHH! What a great idea-Tim Gunn, are you listening-season 2 idea here!

And I cannot BELIEVE they let Isabelle (AKA COO COO BANANAS) through....she will implode soon....
It's a twist they could only have done once. Oh, well.

You think Isabelle is Coo Coo Bananas, but she doesn't seem as 'out there' to me as the designer I saw on PR one season who spit on her fabric instead of using more traditional means to mark it.

I guess I'm just jaded now.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
It's a twist they could only have done once. Oh, well.

You think Isabelle is Coo Coo Bananas, but she doesn't seem as 'out there' to me as the designer I saw on PR one season who spit on her fabric instead of using more traditional means to mark it.

I guess I'm just jaded now.
Yes, I remember her-I called her "COO COO BANANAS" too...there's one every season
Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #15
Ment

Wonder why Nick isn't more sought after by the contestants. Seems that his background would be perfect for them since more of them think they have the 'vision' thing down more than technical aspects of designing.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #16
Cainebj

02/06/14 Unconventional Vampire

I just caught up - for some reason - even though this is just Project Runway without Heidi, there's something about it that is not catching on for me.

The 3 mentors are AWFUL and the judges are not much better. I'm not sure why they are allowing the mentors so much time with the contestants - they are interfering more than they are mentoring.

Brady got robbed.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I'm behind, too (ditched the first-night airing on this week's episode to make room for the Olympics).

The thing about this show? It proves that no one can do Tim Gunn's job as well as Tim can.

I continue to be fascinated (like watching a train wreck) by watching the designers make supremely wrong fabric choices, just as I used to do in high school when learning to sew.

What did they learn in design school again? You have to understand your raw materials if you want to do this stuff.