jbluemke

that happenbed to me too
jbluemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #392
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWDave View Post
Both old and new hard drive completely pass full mfg diags. Starting to wonder if it is the power supply - if I let it sit unplugged long enough, either drive will boot and work for a while, then either go into a reboot cycle or sit at the almost done screen.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if I just give up and replace it with a Roamio Plus. I could either return the 2TB drive I just purchased, use it to upgrade a factory 746 unit I have, or use it in the Roamio. I could also throw more money at the XL with a power supply, assuming it's a safe bet that is the problem.

I'm certainly not looking for an excuse to spend $399 on a Roamio. With 3 Premieres (2 x 746, 1 x 748, 1 x 758), 1 Tivo HD, 2 Minis, and a Stream, I feel like I have the market cornered.

I guess looking for anything obvious I might have missed.
Sure sounds like the power supply. Do you have a computer supply sitting around you could use to power the drive in the TiVo?

Does the power supply have any bulging capacitors?
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #393
captainawesome

First time poster, long time reader. It looks like I have a failed 1TB Premiere XL drive. (Unplugged the Tivo for the first time in a long time, now it freezes on the 'starting up' screen when plugged back.)

I tried using the jmfs tool to clone the old disk to a new drive, but it froze around the 600GB mark.

I was able to do a truncated backup using this tool. (The full backup claimed to need 900GB, even though the drive was only 30% full.) I'm currently using that backup to do a full restore on the new drive (since the new drive failed halfway through the clone.)

ggieseke, in case my backup image ends up being corrupt, can you PM me your link to the fresh image for a TCD748000? Much thanks.
captainawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:53 AM   #394
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
First time poster, long time reader. It looks like I have a failed 1TB Premiere XL drive. (Unplugged the Tivo for the first time in a long time, now it freezes on the 'starting up' screen when plugged back.)

I tried using the jmfs tool to clone the old disk to a new drive, but it froze around the 600GB mark.

I was able to do a truncated backup using this tool. (The full backup claimed to need 900GB, even though the drive was only 30% full.) I'm currently using that backup to do a full restore on the new drive (since the new drive failed halfway through the clone.)

ggieseke, in case my backup image ends up being corrupt, can you PM me your link to the fresh image for a TCD748000? Much thanks.
PM sent.

Just out of curiosity, was the 900GB projection for a Full or a Modified Full backup?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #395
captainawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.

Just out of curiosity, was the 900GB projection for a Full or a Modified Full backup?
Received, you're the man.

The 900GB estimate was for the modified full backup. I don't know what state that drive is in though, I haven't run any diagnostics on it yet. I can tell you that I could hear (what sounded like) the platters catching at one point preventing the drive from spinning. Surprisingly, a well placed 'technical tap' with a screwdriver on the side of the drive actually got it to spin again.
captainawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #396
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Boy am I glad I found this thread! Many thanks to ggieseke and the others that have contributed time and knowledge and support.

So, I'm yet another person with a Premiere XL (TCD748000) that is suddenly in the GSOD / reboot loop. I'm hoping to be able to retrieve season passes and maybe even some of the shows on the the failing drive. My only PC is a Windows 7 laptop. I also have a USB/SATA "docking station", which it sounds like DvrBARS will let me use to do the backup of my failing drive and then a restore to a new drive.

In anticipation of the backup/restore of the existing drive not working, could you send me a PM for an image link?

Once again, thanks a million! I promise to make a donation.

Last edited by NotVeryWitty : 01-10-2014 at 03:26 PM.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #397
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
In anticipation of the backup/restore of the existing drive not working, could you send me a PM for an image link?
PM sent. Hope you can save at least your settings.

A dock should be fine - that's what I use all the time. Using eSATA or USB 3.0 will be much faster than USB 2.0 if your laptop has the right ports.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #398
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
A dock should be fine - that's what I use all the time. Using eSATA or USB 3.0 will be much faster than USB 2.0 if your laptop has the right ports.
Thanks for mentioning that -- I was quite sure my Dell laptop was only USB 2.0, but I went and dug out the specs, and discovered that one of the ports is a dual USB 2.0 / eSATA port. My docking station supports both USB and eSATA, so I should be able to use eSATA for this.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 AM   #399
dmitri

Received a "ReadFile" error popup on both the truncated and full backup.
I suspect my drive is bad. Is there an option to fix it?

If not, could I get access to a Premiere XL image?

Thanks
dmitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #400
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Received a "ReadFile" error popup on both the truncated and full backup.
I suspect my drive is bad. Is there an option to fix it?

If not, could I get access to a Premiere XL image?

Thanks
PM sent.

You can click OK to continue on after a ReadFile error. If there are lots of errors it can get pretty boring playing whack-a-mole, but eventually it should complete.

Whether the resulting image will work is another question. Since it failed on a Truncated backup, probably not.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #401
avunc

Hi ggieseke,

I can't PM you (too few posts for this forum), but I was hoping you could PM me with how to access an image of a Tivo Premiere XL.
avunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #402
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by avunc View Post
Hi ggieseke,

I can't PM you (too few posts for this forum), but I was hoping you could PM me with how to access an image of a Tivo Premiere XL.
PM sent.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #403
joebrod

I was refered to this thread.

I have a failed (previously merged with expander) OEM 320GB drive for a Premiere TCD746320. Not interested in trying to clone this drive just want to install a fresh 2TB.

I did it once before with my S3 box years ago so I'm game to give it a try. I'm told I need an image. Is there someone who could PM me one?
joebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #404
avunc

Great, thanks much. I got it down and put it on disk no problem at all. Am keeping it in reserve to see how my rescued disk will do.
avunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #405
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrod View Post
I was refered to this thread.

I have a failed (previously merged with expander) OEM 320GB drive for a Premiere TCD746320. Not interested in trying to clone this drive just want to install a fresh 2TB.

I did it once before with my S3 box years ago so I'm game to give it a try. I'm told I need an image. Is there someone who could PM me one?
You cannot just put a BLANK new drive into a Tivo and expect it to work (except for the Roamio.) It needs an image for the right model.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #406
joebrod

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You cannot just put a BLANK new drive into a Tivo and expect it to work (except for the Roamio.) It needs an image for the right model.

Is there someone who could PM me a link to an drive image for a Premiere TCD746320 that I could use on a new 2TB drive installed in that Tivo
joebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #407
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrod View Post
Is there someone who could PM me a link to an drive image for a Premiere TCD746320 that I could use on a new 2TB drive installed in that Tivo
PM sent.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #408
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Really? How does the Roamio deal with that?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #409
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
Really? How does the Roamio deal with that?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507695

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #410
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Holy crap. I had no idea.

Not wanting to read all 56 pages of that thread, can you summarize it?

Will it take a 4TB drive?

With the OS in flash, can you simply take a small drive with recordings, DDRescue or two-step DvrBARS it to a bigger drive, and have the box install what is needed and expand it?

Have people found it to be much faster in terms of menus, guide, search, etc.?

It's the next logical step, but kind of amazing nonetheless...
Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #411
jmbach

Only WK can give it a 4TB drive at this time. Ggeiseke is working on the ability to do the same.
Not sure about the copy and expand. In theory it should work but not sure if current tools can do this. It would be interesting if a person with a base Roamio copy their 500GB drive to a 1TB and see if JMFS can expand it and put it back in to see if it works.
It is much faster from what I have read.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #412
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Not sure about the copy and expand. In theory it should work but not sure if current tools can do this. It would be interesting if a person with a base Roamio copy their 500GB drive to a 1TB and see if JMFS can expand it and put it back in to see if it works.
I doubt that JMFS would even recognize the drive as a TiVo drive.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #413
jmbach

That maybe. Will only know if either someone tries or if someone with JAVA experience examines the code. I have no JAVA experience so I am learning OJT so to speak but I think it just might work. From my examination and testing of JMFS, it does not seems to care about anything other than the MFS partitions. All of those are created on the drive when the Roamio prepares it. So JMFS might be just fine with it.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #414
lpwcomp

Quote:
That maybe. Will only know if either someone tries or if someone with JAVA experience examines the code. I have no JAVA experience so I am learning OJT so to speak but I think it just might work. From my examination and testing of JMFS, it does not seems to care about anything other than the MFS partitions. All of those are created on the drive when the Roamio prepares it. So JMFS might be just fine with it.
Not according to ggieseke. I'm fairly certain that he posted an analysis of a Roamio drive and the actual structure of the partitions is different.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #415
jmbach

Yes it uses a different byte order apparently. Now whether JMFS can handle it, I don't know. There is an altered version of MFS tools that is modified to work on the S4 series. It does have some byte swapping code built into it. Using that, the user will have to manually coalesce the extended partitions if it works.
I am not saying with certainty that it will work. I am saying it is worth a try. What is someone going to lose by trying. Nobody thought the S4s could be expanded beyond 2TB until someone tried it and succeeded.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #416
unitron

Quote:
Yes it uses a different byte order apparently. Now whether JMFS can handle it, I don't know. There is an altered version of MFS tools that is modified to work on the S4 series. It does have some byte swapping code built into it. Using that, the user will have to manually coalesce the extended partitions if it works.
I am not saying with certainty that it will work. I am saying it is worth a try. What is someone going to lose by trying. Nobody thought the S4s could be expanded beyond 2TB until someone tried it and succeeded.

When you say "byte swapping", do you mean what the Series 1s had to do to accomodate their processor that read everything in wrong end first?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #417
ggieseke

It's not byte-swapping in the sense of a Series 1 where every two bytes were reversed. That's easy to handle by reading one or more whole sectors at a time and running swab (in C or C++) on the buffer.

On Roamios Block0, the APM and all of the MFS headers use Intel byte order (least significant byte first) for all of the values whether they're 16, 32 or 64 bit. All of the older models used Motorola byte order (most significant byte first). It's harder to read when you're looking at a hex dump, but easier to deal with from a programming standpoint on most modern CPUs.

A few fields in the MFS structures have also been moved around, so none of the existing tools like MFSLive will work correctly even if you rewrite them to compensate for the byte order.

MFSLive, WinMFS, jmfs and DvrBARS won't even recognize a Roamio drive. I started to patch DvrBARS but since the VHD file format that it uses can only handle 2TB drives I scrapped that attempt and I'm starting over from scratch.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #418
jmbach

Ah I see clearer now. I really need to get a Roamio to delve into it more. Too bad etailz cancelled my order. Been concentrating more on getting a DIY 4TB premiere going than examining the Roamio.

Would take a major rewrite then of JMFS to work on the Roamio. Of course to get JMFS to work on a 4TB drive for a Premiere will take some rewriting as well.

Technically at this time, until the 64bit APM gets perfected, the Roamio can only go up to 4TB so you could split up the drive into two 2TB VHDs. Not sure what would be easier.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #419
ggieseke

Quote:
Technically at this time, until the 64bit APM gets perfected, the Roamio can only go up to 4TB so you could split up the drive into two 2TB VHDs. Not sure what would be easier.
If it comes to that I'll probably treat each partition as a separate drive instead of trying to force the existing code into two VHDs, but either way there's a LOT of "out with the old and in with the new" involved. I wrote BARS with one goal in mind, and that was to be able to create a truncated image of a Premiere that would fit on a single-layer DVD or 4GB flash drive. Mission accomplished and the other features like Modified Full backups and S1-S3 support were gravy, but it will probably never exceed its current limitations.

Roamios and Premieres over 2TB will need all-new tools. I'm working on it.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #420
azdvr

I managed to screw up my first drive . It just shows a TiVo welcome screen than starts over . I have tcd746500 500gb drive. Any one have access to a vhd backup of it
azdvr is offline   Reply With Quote