TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
lapdog12

I did it. What next?

I just got home with my 5 lb 6 oz baby roamio pro. I have just hooked it up and it's loading all the info.

I bought it today (1/16/14) from Best Buy. They were nice enough to match the $100 off the box AND I got the $50 gift card. I wanted to buy from Best Buy because if something was wrong I can just go right back to the store which isn't too far from me instead of having to ship things back and forth. I also used the $50 gift card to buy the 4 yr geek squad extended warranty. Some will say that's unnecessary but I just wanted a little extra piece of mind. If I'm already spending all this upfront money, what's just a little more. I also ordered the slide pro remote from tivo because I wanted a good backlit remote.

I still have to get the cable card from TWC socal but once I do... what's next?

Are there any tips and tricks you can share with me? All the nice little remote control tricks to switch between tuners and things like that? Anything that I should be on the look out for.

Thanks in advance!
lapdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapdog12 View Post
I just got home with my 5 lb 6 oz baby roamio pro. I have just hooked it up and it's loading all the info.

I bought it today (1/16/14) from Best Buy. They were nice enough to match the $100 off the box AND I got the $50 gift card. I wanted to buy from Best Buy because if something was wrong I can just go right back to the store which isn't too far from me instead of having to ship things back and forth. I also used the $50 gift card to buy the 4 yr geek squad extended warranty. Some will say that's unnecessary but I just wanted a little extra piece of mind. If I'm already spending all this upfront money, what's just a little more. I also ordered the slide pro remote from tivo because I wanted a good backlit remote.

I still have to get the cable card from TWC socal but once I do... what's next?

Are there any tips and tricks you can share with me? All the nice little remote control tricks to switch between tuners and things like that? Anything that I should be on the look out for.

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy the hour wait in line at the TWC office to get your CableCard and Tuning Adapter. When I was there, everyone in line just stood in line complaining about how horrible Time Warner Cable is.

When you install your CableCard, don't be surprised if it has to update the firmware. Time Warner gave me a 4 year old CableCard when I got mine and it took 90 minutes for the Roamio to update the firmware on it. Just be sure you don't pull out the card during the firmware update or you'll brick the card and have to go back down to TW to get another one.

When you activate your subscription with TiVo, if you decide to go with lifetime service, be sure to use the "PLSR" code to get the $100 off.

You can use the "Live TV" button on the TiVo remote to switch between tuners. You can also see what channels all of the tuners are currently sitting on by hitting the info button and pressing the down arrow, and from there you can actually select which specific tuner you want.

I've actually found this helpful sometimes as the crappy Tuning Adapter that Time Warner gave me sometimes has a problem tuning to multiple SDV channels at the same time. If I put all of the tuners I'm not currently using on the local channels that I know are non-SDV, then the tuner I am using for live TV never has a problem tuning in the SDV channels. I've been meaning to go down to the TW office and get another Tuning Adapter to try, but I haven't managed to work up the courage to experience that again.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 01-16-2014 at 03:23 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
lapdog12

great info on the cable card. is there a particular brand or model number i should be looking for? I'm new to the cable card game.

I called to activate so i could order my slider pro at the same time and I did get the $100 off.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapdog12 View Post
great info on the cable card. is there a particular brand or model number i should be looking for? I'm new to the cable card game.

I called to activate so i could order my slider pro at the same time and I did get the $100 off.
With Time Warner, it'll either be a Motorola or a Cisco (aka Scientific Atlanta) card. I don't know that either brand is any better than the other. Just make sure they give you an "M-card". The "M" stands for "multi-stream". At this point, I doubt there are very many single-stream CableCards left out there in the wild, so any card they give you will *probably* be an m-card, but with Time Warner you never can be too careful.

Once you get the CableCard installed, you should be able to get the basic cable channels 2-24. You'll then need to call the TW CableCard activation line to pair the CableCard with the Roamio to get the rest of your channels. Just make sure you call a TW phone number specifically dedicated to CableCard installation/troubleshooting. Calling a general TW support line (like the one they flash on your screen after you install the CableCard) is completely useless. They either won't know what the hell a CableCard is, or they will try to transfer you to someone else who won't know what the hell a CableCard is.

Here are a few helpful links:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Media...etter_West.pdf

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...cablecard.html

http://blog.vec.com/2010/05/26/troub...uning-adapter/

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 01-16-2014 at 04:26 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
lapdog12

great, thanks. i really do appreciate this info!