Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #31
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I've never seen any episodes of it, but that sounds a lot like the beloved show "Breaking Bad". A show about a drug dealer? Yes, I watch plenty of shows with "bad" characters (Sopranos, etc., but actually I still haven't watched the last half of the last season, I liked it but was never as enthralled as everyone else)..

Is Cougar Town on Netflix streaming or anything else? I have actually been recording/slowly watching the reruns of the cable-original season that were rerun again before the new season, but if they were on streaming (hopefully uncut), I'd be tempted to do a month of netflix and gorge on it and various other shows.
Cougar Town has moved to TBS. One full season so far and a new season just started a week or so ago. Still the same. If you liked it before, nothing has changed.

As for Breaking Bad, there were plenty of good people on it. Hank, Junior, Gomez...and even the bad lead had some redeeming qualities for long periods of time and even did something decent at the end. Not the same as Girls AT ALL.

Last edited by Anubys : 01-15-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Edited to reflect that the show moved to TBS, not FX
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #32
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
\
From what I watched of that night, The Good Wife was awesome! The Springsteen soundtrack was just the icing on the cake. If that show was on cable, and they threw in a few curse words and a wee bit of nudity, they'd be taking about The Good Wife the same way they talk about Mad Men or Breaking Bad. But since it's network, it CAN'T be as good. That's the critic's rules these days.

Critics never do anything BUT rave about "The Good Wife."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #33
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Plus, Breaking Bad and Mad Men (as far as I know about Mad Men) don't have curse words or nudity.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #34
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Cougar Town has moved to FX. One full season so far and a new season just started a week or so ago. Still the same. If you liked it before, nothing has changed.
This is all correct, except it should read TBS not FX.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #35
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
They do, but not to the extent that they drool over Mad Men, Breaking Bad and some other cable shows. I think it's as good as any of them, and better than most.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #36
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Plus, Breaking Bad and Mad Men (as far as I know about Mad Men) don't have curse words or nudity.
No nudity, definitely curse words (depending on how you define a curse word). Certainly words that aren't said on Primetime Network TV.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #37
astrohip
Stuart F

I'm not going to debate good characters or bad characters or good characters gone bad or whatever. Here's my take...

Breaking Bad was incredibly enjoyable to watch. Great writing, characters you had feelings about and cared about, you wanted to see what happened next, yada yada.

Girls was not fun to watch. I found myself not caring about any of them, they were self-centered, pretentious and the stories were barely legible (what's the visual equivalent of illegible?). TV is supposed to be enjoyable to watch, fun to watch. When it becomes a chore, or when you continually ask yourself, "Why am I watching this?", it's time to stop. And this is not just Girls, but any/all shows.

I know several younger females who love this show. Clearly there is an audience for it. It just ain't me.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #38
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
I feel like one day Lena can totally hit the jackpot, either with a TV series or a movie, but so far, her stuff doesn't really add up.

-smak-
Didn't she already win several awards for Girls?
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #39
zalusky

Given Lena has gotten a renewal for the third season after one (OK two) showings of season 2, I would say she is hitting the jackpot.

Thanks to Apatow she is also getting a lot of guest stars. A lot of other shows/producers cannot say this.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #40
efilippi

Cover of Vogue, too. Who would have thought?
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #41
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Given Lena has gotten a renewal for the third season after one (OK two) showings of season 2, I would say she is hitting the jackpot.
I agree. I'd say she hit the jackpot with season one. It's been downhill for me since then. Adam still kills it though.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote