TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #31
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickthickey View Post
There are too many video CODECs and variables associated with android. I use android, and am perfectly happy with it. I LIKE MY android PHONE.

But, it is not simplistic to support video streaming, even video playing is problematic. I have a Nexus 5, and often it will not play certain videos.

iOS is a closed wall system, a developer can write to a specific set of conditions and it will work across the board, mostly. Certainly far more so than android.

On android, who (generic Nexus, Samsung, etc.) do you choose to support...and worse, which level of android release? As soon as they say "we support android x.xx forward" those who are excluded scream bloody murder.

I wish the developer VP Margaret would send a message and be honest about a timeframe, etc. I suspect most of the forum members would appreciate candor and the honest engineering issues they face.

Not saying it cannot be done, but think how long it took Skype to reliably support android.
Simple. On Android you choose only to support the current and one rev back of AOS and include a player that works on the codecs your product streams. ALA slingbox player. Does not need to work with the built in video player. ALL android 4.1+ devices support h.264/AAC video streams up to 720p. Most also support 1080. With a simple player update they support AC3 also.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #32
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeagabu View Post
Come on.

When things are months away in software development, it is stupid to try to pick a specific date.

Margret said it'll be in the coming months and that is likely the most specific it can be.

https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...37684377067521
Please. They've only been talking about this ever since the Stream was released because they know a large number of users want it (duh).

They have completely dropped the ball here, no whitewashing is needed.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #33
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickthickey View Post
There are too many video CODECs and variables associated with android. I use android, and am perfectly happy with it. I LIKE MY android PHONE.
That is no longer true. Video streaming is pretty simple with Android 4.x. The Sling Player app has no problems and they are streaming from multiple different Slingboxes and it works on many, many Android devices. Honestly, with Android 4.x, TiVo really has no excuse except I doubt they have even started work on it until recently.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #34
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Call me your +1. I think we've been more than patient. It's not like this is an obscure product, it's ANDROID.

I can only guess, since TiVo missed CES, that they have significant problems. And can't imagine what they could be.
A month later, still nothing?

Has anyone heard anything?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #35
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

If it weren't winter... I would hear crickets...
Old 02-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #36
tomhorsley

They are probably in a constant Cable Labs reject loop as they find every technique they try to stream to android leaves the content open to rooted device capture and Cable Labs won't allow streaming (of course, I can capture protected content now if I wanted to directly from the component outputs with a video capture box, but Cable Labs has never been interested in logic).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #37
takeagabu

Well, on 1/9 tivomargret said that we would have it in the coming months. She also said that the next major update for the Roamio is going to be in March/April, so I guessing that is when we'll get it.

https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...37684377067521
https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...34628630323200
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #38
astrohip
Stuart F

Time for my obligatory monthly bump

*chirp*
Old 03-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #39
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

*chirp*
Be prepared for continued disappointment. Doesn't stop me from yelling about it on EVERY TiVo survey since the Stream came out 1.5 *YEARS* ago.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #40
milan03

Does anyone know what is the maximum bitrate for iPad or iPhone live TV streaming? Is it at least 720p? Can we tweak the bitrate?

My FiOS upload is ~40Mbps and I've been wondering if we have granular control over the resolution, bitrate, etc...

Thanks!
milan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #41
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
Does anyone know what is the maximum bitrate for iPad or iPhone live TV streaming? Is it at least 720p? Can we tweak the bitrate?

My FiOS upload is ~40Mbps and I've been wondering if we have granular control over the resolution, bitrate, etc...

Thanks!
1280x720 @ 2.24 Mbps is the best possible (which given the small sizes of iPhones + iPads is plenty).
In download mode you can choose 3 different resolutions + rates with the above being the top resolution + rate and what is used for in home streaming. Out of home streaming is dynamic and from what I've seen never reaches the highest rate and consensus is for OOH streaming that Slingbox blows Stream away given limited bandwidth (though you can choose to download to Stream instead to get fixed/known resolution + rate).
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511445

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #42
milan03

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
1280x720 @ 2.24 Mbps is the best possible (which given the small sizes of iPhones + iPads is plenty).
In download mode you can choose 3 different resolutions + rates with the above being the top resolution + rate and what is used for in home streaming. Out of home streaming is dynamic and from what I've seen never reaches the highest rate and consensus is for OOH streaming that Slingbox blows Stream away given limited bandwidth (though you can choose to download to Stream instead to get fixed/known resolution + rate).
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511445
I'm thinking of using Roamio Plus instead of stream. Afaik Roamio Plus has full stream support.
Which channels are blocked for OOH Live streaming?
milan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #43
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
I'm thinking of using Roamio Plus instead of stream. Afaik Roamio Plus has full stream support.
Which channels are blocked for OOH Live streaming?
Standalone Stream and one built into Roamio Plus/Pro are identical in functionality. Any copy protected channel (non-zero CCI) is blocked for OOH streaming and/or downloading. In home those are available for streaming only but not downloading.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #44
tivohaydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Standalone Stream and one built into Roamio Plus/Pro are identical in functionality. Any copy protected channel (non-zero CCI) is blocked for OOH streaming and/or downloading. In home those are available for streaming only but not downloading.
I knew Android support was "coming soon" forever now but I never realized that there were OOH restrictions. Wow. Totally dilutes the feature. Sad.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #45
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, just another case of Tivo bending over to whatever cable wants to make nice. And then they don't bother to mention this little issue in any of their website promo stuff for streaming so unsuspecting buyers on TWC etc. get screwed again, after getting screwed for so long with MRV.

The other idiotic part is that it's perfectly ok to stream protected stuff to anything in the house, but not elsewhere even though there is a protected path to your authorized iOS devices? Really?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #46
humbb

And now: DRM for your morning cup o' Joe

So if I want to use lower priced, eco-friendly K-Cups, I'm going to have to hack into my coffee maker!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-17889_7...-copycat-cups/
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #47
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
And then they don't bother to mention this little issue in any of their website promo stuff for streaming so unsuspecting buyers on TWC etc. get screwed again, after getting screwed for so long with MRV.
Hmm... Just casually looking, I found 3 mentions of it (certainly not highlighted, but they are there). The front page of the TiVo stream , and then twice in the FAQ for Roamio.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #48
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I would bet the delay is due to legal issues and not technical issues. We all know it's technically possible, cable card Labs, cable companies and the movie industry are most likely the biggest road blocks.

Heaven forbid a pirated copy of Weeds episode show up on the internet that originated from a Android device. After all we all know the primary source of all those torant pirated movies all come from Android tablets! (NOT!)

The delay is due to those who want full control of what you use for entertainment, it's not like we are trying to land men on Mars and can't figure out how. The biggest restriction of new technology reaching the consumer public is legal restraints and not absence of the technology to do so esp when copyrights are concerned.

Even more, if Tivo wanted to cover their butts for liability issues, just charge for the Android and Apple applications and pay a percentage to whoever is holding this up. I would pay 99 cents in a heartbeat if I could stream my Tivo content to my Android devices tomorrow.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #49
bparker

Would it be better to offload the tivo recording to a server, windows 2012 server in my case, so that I can stream to whatever? Never did it, but if I did, would I need something other than a tivo to stream that to the television? Server has DLNA, media center, and similar. I store digital movies there right now.
bparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 AM   #50
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bparker View Post
Would it be better to offload the tivo recording to a server, windows 2012 server in my case, so that I can stream to whatever? Never did it, but if I did, would I need something other than a tivo to stream that to the television? Server has DLNA, media center, and similar. I store digital movies there right now.
Better? Perhaps for some things, but the idea is to access anything on your TiVo. Why have everything somewhere else also? Or if you're traveling and something recorded last night when you weren't home?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #51
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Hmm... Just casually looking, I found 3 mentions of it (certainly not highlighted, but they are there). The front page of the TiVo stream
LOL, in tiny mice type at the very bottom (and this was newly added, wasn't there the last time we discussed it in the Stream forum). Typical.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #52
bparker

Well, I was thinking for the shows that it wouldn't stream to offload to somewhere else. I'm a TiVo newbie, so pardon my low system experience. Some shows are encrypted too, which is an issue. Third party application? Not sure on legalities and such forth.
bparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #53
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:

Quote:

*chirp*
And again...

No mention of it in the new 20.4 release either. Not that it needs to happen at the same time as a release, but it would have been nice.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #54
nycityuser

Quote:
And again...

No mention of it in the new 20.4 release either. Not that it needs to happen at the same time as a release, but it would have been nice.
I gave up waiting and went ahead and purchased an iPad Mini. I already had a Kindle Fire HD and use an Android smartphone. But Verizon had a good March sale on iPads and I picked up a 32GB mini for $329. It was nice watching shows I had recorded on TiVo on an airplane trip.

Anyway, perhaps Apple is slipping something to TiVo so they will keep away from Android. If not, they should. I had no interest in an iPad until I upgraded my TiVo equipment to the Roamio Pro in January and realized I was missing a great feature that came with it. The iPad solved the problem.
nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #55
truman861

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Hmm... Just casually looking, I found 3 mentions of it (certainly not highlighted, but they are there). The front page of the TiVo stream , and then twice in the FAQ for Roamio.
Pretty much nailed it on the head, if you are a TWC or BHN customer - Dont count on out of the house streaming unless its to another device such as a mini. I could rant on about that for the longest time ever but no point and i'm having fios installed tomorrow.
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #56
Bytez

I was counting on Android support before buying the Roamio.
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #57
aaronwt
HD Addict

And I was counting on android support 1.5 years ago. I can't believe how long it's been and still no android support.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:07 AM   #58
billdav

I was thinking about buying a Roamio, specifically because I am interested in streaming to my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. I thought they'd have Android support by now.

billdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #59
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
They are probably in a constant Cable Labs reject loop as they find every technique they try to stream to android leaves the content open to rooted device capture and Cable Labs won't allow streaming (of course, I can capture protected content now if I wanted to directly from the component outputs with a video capture box, but Cable Labs has never been interested in logic).
Maybe. HDHomeRun Prime has had Android streaming since like 2012...
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #60
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

With protected content support too (i.e., HBO). But obviously Tivo develops at a snail's pace and Silicondust does not.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ondust.mg.upnp

SiliconDust is bringing Premium Cable TV and Free to Air TV viewing to your Android devices. Finally, watch all your favorite shows on your Android phone or tablet. Watching Premium and Free to Air TV has never been easier. With the HDHomeRun® VIEW app you can access your Cable TV channels and your free to air HDTV channels on your Android device. The number of TV viewing screens in your home just got larger and more mobile. Watch Food Network in the kitchen, Discovery Channel in the garage, relax on the porch while catching up on MSNBC, and don’t miss a second of the game just take it with you, anywhere around your home network. HDHomeRun VIEW will even access your premium subscribed channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax.