TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
mcf57

Question is clicking hard drive or PS?

I recently heard a slight clicking coming from my Series 3 TiVO (TCD652160). I unplugged and reboot it and it came back fine & is still working fine, but I wonder if this is a sign of a problem about to occur. Is this usually the hard drive or could this also be a sign of the power supply going?

At some point I will open it up and inspect it inside manually for bulging caps, but just wondering what this sounds more like.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
ferrumpneuma
fading fast

I don't think the PS has moving parts.
ferrumpneuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrumpneuma View Post
I don't think the PS has moving parts.
But thanks to stuff like magnetostriction it doesn't need what one ordinarily considers "moving" parts in order to make clicking sounds.

But if it's not spontaneously rebooting when the clicking happens, it's probably not the power supply.

Yet.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
I recently heard a slight clicking coming from my Series 3 TiVO (TCD652160). I unplugged and reboot it and it came back fine & is still working fine, but I wonder if this is a sign of a problem about to occur. Is this usually the hard drive or could this also be a sign of the power supply going?

At some point I will open it up and inspect it inside manually for bulging caps, but just wondering what this sounds more like.
The kind of problem that makes a TiVo power supply make a clicking sound would probably cause it to spontaneously reboot, or at least freeze up.

Are you still running the original hard drive?

Of course, that TiVo is one of the models where the power supply is always suspect until you replace the majority of the capacitors, and you can have power supply and hard drive problems at the same time.

And I suppose it's not completely impossible that the sound is coming from a fan in need of relubrication or replacement.

Suggest you hit Home Depot or Lowes or somebody and get a $5 set of handle and Torx bits, including a #8, a #10, and a #15, as you stand a good chance of needing them before too terribly long.

And it wouldn't hurt to have a voltmeter and high-wattage soldering iron or gun around as well.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
mcf57

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are you still running the original hard drive?
It is indeed the original 160GB drive so I can imagine this might be the first sign. I have replaced another TiVo drive with WinMFS and maybe I should just do that here too. Essentially upgrade the unit AND fix the problem.

In the meantime, I am currently offloading/transferring its recordings to one of my Premieres while I can and before it totally dies on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Of course, that TiVo is one of the models where the power supply is always suspect until you replace the majority of the capacitors, and you can have power supply and hard drive problems at the same time.

And I suppose it's not completely impossible that the sound is coming from a fan in need of relubrication or replacement.

Suggest you hit Home Depot or Lowes or somebody and get a $5 set of handle and Torx bits, including a #8, a #10, and a #15, as you stand a good chance of needing them before too terribly long.

And it wouldn't hurt to have a voltmeter and high-wattage soldering iron or gun around as well.
I will also check the fan if it happens again.

From this forum, I am well aware of the PS issues & will look at it when I remove the hood, but I don't feel real comfortable changing them out and/or soldering new ones on just yet. I guess if the PS becomes the real issue here, I will then go from there.

Last edited by mcf57 : 01-16-2014 at 07:26 AM.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
It is indeed the original 160GB drive so I can imagine this might be the first sign. I have replaced another TiVo drive with WinMFS and maybe I should just do that here too. Essentially upgrade the unit AND fix the problem.

In the meantime, I am currently offloading/transferring its recordings to one of my Premieres while I can and before it totally dies on me.

I will also check the fan if it happens again.

From this forum, I am well aware of the PS issues & will look at it when I remove the hood, but I don't feel real comfortable changing them out and/or soldering new ones on just yet. I guess if the PS becomes the real issue here, I will then go from there.

You can use the free version of TiVo Desktop to copy your shows to a folder on an NT formatted partition on a PC running XP SP3 or newer, and then copy them back to the new HD internal drive once you get that done as well.

But for now, get yourself a 2TB WD20EURS--you should be able to find one at newegg or Amazon for $100 or less with free shipping, and use WinMFS to copy the 160 to it via

mfscopy

if it doesn't die on you first.

(if it does, I hope it doesn't happen until you've copied all of the shows off)*

When it completes the copy and offers to expand, tell it no.

Then, having previously selected the 160 prior to running

mfscopy

go back and select the 2TB and click on

mfsinfo

just to make sure everything looks okay.

Then expand by clicking on

mfsadd

and tell it you don't want to limit partition size to 1.2TB

Or after running

mfsinfo

you can shut down, stick it in the TiVo and make sure it works okay, and then go back and expand.

I don't know exactly why expanding as part of copying is sometime problematic, I just use the workaround and it works.

*If the 160 dies before you can copy it to the 2TB, I can hook you up with a .tbk image to put on the 2TB with WinMFS

As for the power supply capacitors, it's about as simple an unsoldering and soldering job as anyone would ever encounter.