TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
markymark_ctown

Exclamation Lilyhammer - Unofficial Season 2 Thread

Started watching season 2 of Lilyhammer on Netflix. Seems to be more Norwegian language dialogue two shows in which isn't a problem with subtitles but the subtitles seemed to get stuck on episode 1.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
ElJay

The default English subtitles ("Off") do not display on my Roku. I see them on the PC with the Silverlight player (where subtitles "None" shows English subtitles when Norwegian is being spoken.) It's incredibly annoying to watch it with closed captioning on. I reported it to Netflix using their streaming problems function but who knows if they review those.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I enable subtitles on my Roku and it works fine. You see "in English". "Speaking Norwegian"

BTW Does Stevie ever say how he hooked up with this? Isn't he Danish?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
zalusky

I definitely noticed a difference between how Apple TV did it and how Tivo did it.
Apple TV seemed to show the Norwegian to English subtitles where Tivo did not.

Can this thread be considered open game to talk about the season. If so the inside jokes in the last episode were a lot of fun.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
ElJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
I enable subtitles on my Roku and it works fine. You see "in English". "Speaking Norwegian"
That sounds like closed captioning. There is a proper English subtitle track that should be used when the player is set to have subtitles off which displays subtitles only for the Norwegian content. This forced subtitle track does not work on the Roku (or apparently the TiVo as reported above by zalusky.)
Old 12-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
markymark_ctown

The subtitles have worked flawlessly for episodes 2 and 3. Using a Tivo Premiere XL to stream.

I forgot how good the soundtrack to this show is. But with Little Steven leading, I'm not surprised. He sneaks in a little of his own "Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul" from the on episode 2. Anyone catch it? But his albums "Men Without Women" and "Voice of America" from the 80s are two of my favorites.

The opening of Episode 3 was classic...the guy riding the eletric 3 wheel scooter while "Born to Run" blares.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
midas
I heard that

I think they did a better job developing some of the other characters in season 2. I really liked the Jan character.

I also like the pacing. Many times some conflict would happen and most shows would spend the rest of the hour (45 minutes) resolving it. But here, next scene they intimidate, kill or beat someone up and the crisis is resolved within 5 minutes.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
The default English subtitles ("Off") do not display on my Roku. I see them on the PC with the Silverlight player (where subtitles "None" shows English subtitles when Norwegian is being spoken.) It's incredibly annoying to watch it with closed captioning on. I reported it to Netflix using their streaming problems function but who knows if they review those.
I've been having problems with the show's subtitles on my Roku 3, also. I found out, though, that when I'm not seeing the subtitles, if go and toggle on the close captioning titles, then toggle them right back to "off", then the default English subs will then start displaying. But, if I fast forward or rewind, the subtitles sometimes stop, again, and I have to to the toggle trick to fix them again.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
philw1776

No subtitle problems. Just finished Season Two. Hilarious. Really enjoyed it. Well done!
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
No subtitle problems. Just finished Season Two. Hilarious. Really enjoyed it. Well done!
Ditto. Really enjoying this show!

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
I think they did a better job developing some of the other characters in season 2. I really liked the Jan character.

I also like the pacing. Many times some conflict would happen and most shows would spend the rest of the hour (45 minutes) resolving it. But here, next scene they intimidate, kill or beat someone up and the crisis is resolved within 5 minutes.
Up to episode S2E04:
Spoiler:
How did the tattoo guy get injured? In the Ferrari crash? I missed that.

BTW, was Frankie the customer the dealer had in mind? Why did Frankie pay for the car? To save Torgier, I guess.

Hey, Torgier, try to find a cheaper, dirtier cap to wear.

I actually felt bad for the English goons left to freeze, but they were determined to blow someone's head off.

How about "Oddjob!" and the new Sheriff is HOT! for a horseyface.

Why did the old police chief quit? One boss incompetence too many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
I've been having problems with the show's subtitles on my Roku 3, also. I found out, though, that when I'm not seeing the subtitles, if go and toggle on the close captioning titles, then toggle them right back to "off", then the default English subs will then start displaying. But, if I fast forward or rewind, the subtitles sometimes stop, again, and I have to to the toggle trick to fix them again.
Yeah! Same here. The captioning froze until I did that.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Interview with Stevie in Rolling Stone:
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...#ixzz2nl6kFe1m
UVerse and OTA

Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I finished watching Season 2.

A lot of fun.

I guess we should warn folks that it has a smattering of boobies and violence.

Like with Season 1, I swear I can understand Norwegian now. Do they have captioning in the real world?
UVerse and OTA

Old 12-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
philw1776

Didn't see any sardines. Was it really filmed in Norway?
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #15
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Up to episode S2E04:
Spoiler:
How did the tattoo guy get injured? In the Ferrari crash? I missed that.

Spoiler:
I missed it as well, and actually went back to scroll through the previous episodes to figure it out. There is a scene near the end of the episode where they are chasing they guy down. He tackles the guy and then immediately grabs his back in pain as the camera cuts. It is very quick and pretty subtle. The next episodes he is using crutches and his sccoter.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
markymark_ctown

Finished up Season 2. Nice Finish...with a few surprises

Spoiler:
Appreciated the Sopranos call backs. Nice to see Pauly Walnuts. Not so nice to see Mrs. Van Zandt getting waaaaay too much screen time in the finale.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
Finished up Season 2. Nice Finish...with a few surprises

Spoiler:
Appreciated the Sopranos call backs. Nice to see Pauly Walnuts. Not so nice to see Mrs. Van Zandt getting waaaaay too much screen time in the finale.
Spoiler:
Hey, Mrs. Van Zant was one of the better actors.

Pauly was Pauly. Not much of a reverend.

I liked the hit man pal a lot. He really acted like he belonged there.
BTW, who played "Uncle Sal?" I'm wondering if that was a cameo. How much you wanna bet that would have been played by James Gandolfini if he lived.

Good thing they skipped showing how Frankie and his crew managed to get away.

Yep. I like how fast paced it was. You get about 20 seconds to figure out a lot of history of the characters.

In the credits you see how much Stevie used his juice to get music rights. "Thanks to Bruce Springsteen." He also wrote a lot of the new stuff, and I suspect those bands that were featured on stage at the Flamingo were buddies of his.

I read up all that I could find on how the series came about and it looks like it was as simple as the folks at NRK asking Stevie to do it.
UVerse and OTA

Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 AM   #18
JohnB1000

Just finished. Loved it, loved season 1 also. Plenty of lol moments but my fav right now was the 'who you looking at' stuff from the last episode.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
atrac

I really love this show. Season 1 was a joy and Season 2 was even better. I remember my mom used to bug me to watch it and I for some reason had no interest. I had to force myself to start and now I just want more of it!!!

I think the show deserves a lot more recognition than it's getting. I just don't think enough people are aware of it, especially on a "House of Cards" or "Orange is the New Black" level. But they should be. Maybe taking the first step in watching it is the big hurdle, as it was for me...
atrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #20
ElJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
I can't find any way to get them to display on my Roku 2 XD. I use my Bluray player instead to watch this show. It has the c. 2011 Netflix interface where forced subtitles are rendering perfectly. To add to my frustration, my Roku 2 has also started rebooting randomly while I'm watching content. It was a great device for a while, but clearly the forced firmware updates are not doing me any favors. They are mistaken if they think this rickety experience is going to get me to upgrade to a Roku 3.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
JohnB1000

There will be a season 3

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/15/n...=rss_truncated
Old 01-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #22
ElJay

Maybe by season three, Netflix will have figured out how to fix their app on various devices so it displays forced subtitles correctly. It's rather amazing that one of their flagship programs can't be watched properly on a large set of the streaming devices that are out there.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #23
JohnB1000

Quote:
Maybe by season three, Netflix will have figured out how to fix their app on various devices so it displays forced subtitles correctly. It's rather amazing that one of their flagship programs can't be watched properly on a large set of the streaming devices that are out there.
Maybe you'll have time to learn Norwegian ?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #24
ElJay

That's the ticket!
Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #25
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
That's the ticket!
Or, "Det er billetten!"
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote