TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
sean67854
Why?

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - S01E12 "Seeds" - 1/14/2014

WTF? So how many open storylines do we have now?
  • Centipede/Gunn
  • Skye/084
  • Coulson and the freaky brain spider
  • Ice boy

So far it really seems like something important happens every episode. I wonder how long this pace can keep up. Sure there are a lot of dumb things (hover jet), but so far I can look past that.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 AM   #2
busyba
The Funcooker

When did we see Quinn before and what was he doing? Was he the guy in the episode with the device that made gravity all screwy?

Oh, that's another two storylines to add to the list above: Quinn and his ventures, and then the gravity thingy that they stuck in the Sandbox (or some other hidey-hole) that apparently has the scientist embedded in the middle of it, but still alive.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
When did we see Quinn before and what was he doing? Was he the guy in the episode with the device that made gravity all screwy?

Oh, that's another two storylines to add to the list above: Quinn and his ventures, and then the gravity thingy that they stuck in the Sandbox (or some other hidey-hole) that apparently has the scientist embedded in the middle of it, but still alive.
The actor who plays Quinn also played Gunn on the show Angel.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Wow, that guy's got RANGE!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
eddyj

It seems like they never resolve anything, they just leave it open for the future. At least that's the way it feels.

And the whole idea that they froze the pool so that Fits/Simmons would be the ones investigating and just happened to know how to fix the power problem in one look was so ridiculous that my eye muscled sprained from so much rolling.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
sean67854
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
It seems like they never resolve anything, they just leave it open for the future. At least that's the way it feels.

And the whole idea that they froze the pool so that Fits/Simmons would be the ones investigating and just happened to know how to fix the power problem in one look was so ridiculous that my eye muscled sprained from so much rolling.
This is an example of one of the dumb things that I'll overlook because I find the entertainment value of the show so high.

I think the storyline I am most interested in right now is the Skye/084 one. I haven't kept up on the Marvel comics universe, but I have heard that they are trying to retcon all mutants to be Inhumans so that they can use them in the Disney owned franchises. I wonder if Skye will end up being that discovery in the TV universe.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

The device they used to freeze the pool was something Fitz had created when he was at the academy, so it's not entirely ridiculous that he would be brought back to look into it.

I think the idea with the show is to create a ton of plotlines and bring them back up as they need stories. I don't think you'll see too many that are completely closed down. It's very like a comic that way
Old 01-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
I haven't kept up on the Marvel comics universe, but I have heard that they are trying to retcon all mutants to be Inhumans so that they can use them in the Disney owned franchises.
No, they're just expanding the Inhumans so they'll have a big pool of mutant-like characters they can use.

(For those who care, the Inhumans are a group of genetically-altered humans created by an alien species millennia ago to serve as soldiers. Abandoned on Earth, when they come of age they are exposed to Terrigen Mists, which trigger a mutation in them that is different for every person. Recently, the Inhuman ruler exploded a Terrigen Mist bomb that spread the Mists throughout the world, triggering Inhuman mutations in everybody who is a descendent of Inhumans, who apparently have gotten busy with normal humans across the centuries often enough that there are a LOT of descendents around. So the X-Men and other Marvel mutants aren't being retconned as Inhumans; they're just making more "mutants" who aren't really mutants.)
Old 01-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I just can't get past how this device froze all moisture in the area, but the water that froze around the guys leg was only frozen on the top (and didn't freeze the water in the tissue of his leg) and it broke way too easily with a couple of pokes from a little pole.

and yet I had no problem that the device exists in the first place.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
no, no no...
The actor that played Gunn on Angel was J. August Richards who's playing Mike Peterson (the centipede guy) here on S.H.I.E.L.D, not Quinn.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
Azlen

Quote:
Actually the guy playing Quinn is David Conrad and he was Jennifer Love Hewitt's husband on Ghost Whisperer.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Nah, the guy playing Quinn was Mrs. Reynolds on Firefly!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Nah, the guy playing Quinn was Mrs. Reynolds on Firefly!
No, the guy playing Quinn was Solitaire in Live and Let Die.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
Ereth

He's a Cylon!

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
stellie93

I think about 3/4 of this show is sailing right over my head, since I came in with no knowledge, and not even a lot of interest in any of this stuff. But it's still good. Probably if I had watched all the previous stuff, it would be better.

Thanks for the explanation of the Inhumans--that actually makes sense, which worries me a little.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Thanks for the explanation of the Inhumans--that actually makes sense, which worries me a little.
Dang, I must not have explained it right...let me try again.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
No, they're just expanding the Inhumans so they'll have a big pool of mutant-like characters they can use.

(For those who care, the Inhumans are a group of genetically-altered humans created by an alien species millennia ago to serve as soldiers. Abandoned on Earth, when they come of age they are exposed to Terrigen Mists, which trigger a mutation in them that is different for every person. Recently, the Inhuman ruler exploded a Terrigen Mist bomb that spread the Mists throughout the world, triggering Inhuman mutations in everybody who is a descendent of Inhumans, who apparently have gotten busy with normal humans across the centuries often enough that there are a LOT of descendents around. So the X-Men and other Marvel mutants aren't being retconned as Inhumans; they're just making more "mutants" who aren't really mutants.)
But wouldn't the Inhumans' rights fall under the Fantastic Four license anyways?

(I honestly don't get the need for Inhumanity anyways. Mutants aren't good enough for Marvel anymore?)

In the case of this episode, too much knowledge meant that I never believed that Donnie was innocent as I know who Donnie Gill is in the comics.
Still, it was interesting seeing the science academy.
(And don't think I didn't notice Skye picking out Bucky Barnes' plaque.)

Oh, and Skye is obviously the daughter of Thanos.
Either that or she's Peter Quill's sister.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
But wouldn't the Inhumans' rights fall under the Fantastic Four license anyways?
No, the Inhumans are a distinct property, with several independent series of their own. Fox could probably use the Inhumans, but they don't control them (much like Quicksilver, who will be in both the next X-Men movie and the next Avengers).
Quote:
(I honestly don't get the need for Inhumanity anyways. Mutants aren't good enough for Marvel anymore?)
I don't know how the contracts are worded, but Marvel can't use mutants in their movies (Quicksilver will no doubt appear as an Avenger, not as a mutant). So by making Inhumans surrogates for mutants, Marvel can start using mutant-like characters in their films. Mutants are plenty good for Marvel; that's why they need a trick to get them (or something exactly like them) into their movies.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 AM   #19
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
No, the Inhumans are a distinct property, with several independent series of their own. Fox could probably use the Inhumans, but they don't control them (much like Quicksilver, who will be in both the next X-Men movie and the next Avengers).
Huh, I thought that they were like the Silver Surfer and Galactus as being part of the FF contract.

Inhumanity certainly screams of "we need more mutants who aren't really mutants".
I suspect it will become a hot mess like the X-Books have.

Quote:
I don't know how the contracts are worded, but Marvel can't use mutants in their movies (Quicksilver will no doubt appear as an Avenger, not as a mutant). So by making Inhumans surrogates for mutants, Marvel can start using mutant-like characters in their films. Mutants are plenty good for Marvel; that's why they need a trick to get them (or something exactly like them) into their movies.
Kind of dumb of Marvel to let Fox have a lock on "mutant", especially since they got sued over Mutant X.

I just find all of this a bit odd when you consider that both the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man appeared in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #20
Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
no, no no...
The actor that played Gunn on Angel was J. August Richards who's playing Mike Peterson (the centipede guy) here on S.H.I.E.L.D, not Quinn.
Oops! I thought Quinn was centipede guy's name. My bad.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Huh, I thought that they were like the Silver Surfer and Galactus as being part of the FF contract.
Obviously not exclusively, in the same way Quicksilver & the Scarlet Witch were part of the X-Men contract but can also be used in the Avengers movies. I wonder if either Fox or Marvel could make a Silver Surfer movie, since both companies probably have a claim to the character...unless exclusivity is spelled out in the contract.

Contracts are weird. Especially contracts written by a company in bankruptcy and desperate for money at a time when superhero movies are anathema. Obviously, Marvel wishes they could turn back time on the X-Men, FF, and Spidey contracts. Or at least shoot the grandfathers of the long-gone executives who signed them, cashed their severance checks, and moved on to bigger things.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #22
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
The only upside to the poor contracts, is that it forces regular production of those properties.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #23
Vendikarr

Quote:

Inhumanity certainly screams of "we need more mutants who aren't really mutants".
I suspect it will become a hot mess like the X-Books have.

Kind of dumb of Marvel to let Fox have a lock on "mutant", especially since they got sued over Mutant X.

I just find all of this a bit odd when you consider that both the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man appeared in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
The animation rights are considered separate from the live action rights.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
The only upside to the poor contracts, is that it forces regular production of those properties.
Although that's also a down side...e.g., Superman, where movies get made to keep the contract active whether they're ready to go or not. X-Men seems to sometimes fall prey to this syndrome.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #25
Ereth

Quote:
Although that's also a down side...e.g., Superman, where movies get made to keep the contract active whether they're ready to go or not. X-Men seems to sometimes fall prey to this syndrome.
When did that happen? There was an awful long time between Superman IV (which now, thankfully, is not in continuity) and Superman Returns. And it doesn't appear that Man of Steel was rushed.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #26
Ereth

Quote:
...much like Quicksilver, who will be in both the next X-Men movie and the next Avengers...
I haven't kept up with this like you have and I'm curious... will Quicksilver be played by the same actor in both of those movies?

Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #27
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I haven't kept up with this like you have and I'm curious... will Quicksilver be played by the same actor in both of those movies?
Nope, two different actors. Evan Peters in X-Men and Aaron Taylor-Johnson in Avengers.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #28
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Nope, two different actors. Evan Peters in X-Men and Aaron Taylor-Johnson in Avengers.
I suppose if we can get three different Bruce Banners in a row, two different Quicksilvers won't be TOO bad, but it sure would be nice if they could have managed to use the same actor to at least pretend there was continuity between the different franchises.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #29
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Obviously not exclusively, in the same way Quicksilver & the Scarlet Witch were part of the X-Men contract but can also be used in the Avengers movies. I wonder if either Fox or Marvel could make a Silver Surfer movie, since both companies probably have a claim to the character...unless exclusivity is spelled out in the contract.

Contracts are weird. Especially contracts written by a company in bankruptcy and desperate for money at a time when superhero movies are anathema. Obviously, Marvel wishes they could turn back time on the X-Men, FF, and Spidey contracts. Or at least shoot the grandfathers of the long-gone executives who signed them, cashed their severance checks, and moved on to bigger things.
What's annoying me is that it appears that Inhumanity was created strictly to get "mutant but not really mutant" characters into the live action franchise.
I'm used to Marvel stunts going all the way back to Secret Wars but I haven't seen the needs of the outside franchise dictate the storytelling this blatantly before.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 01-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #30
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I suppose if we can get three different Bruce Banners in a row, two different Quicksilvers won't be TOO bad, but it sure would be nice if they could have managed to use the same actor to at least pretend there was continuity between the different franchises.
I don't believe they can mention that their abilities are a mutation or that their father is Magneto in the Avengers movie. Two different studios that don't seem to want to cooperate all that much so I expect two completely different interpretations of the character as well.