TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #9811
adischin

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You need to be making your own backup images after you get everything set the way you want it.

If, after about 4 hours, it's still on the "Clearing and deleting everything" screen, pull the power cord plug, let it sit for 10 minutes, and plug it back in.

You already ran wdidle3.exe to make sure Intellipark is disabled, right?

What size and model were the drives you got from DVR_dude?
OK, noted on the backup images once I get it everything back to normal. Still going but it's only about 2 hours at this point.

Did not run wdidle3.exe....

The drives I got from DVR_dude are WD 20EURS-73SPKY0, 2.0TB

One more curveball here, I am doing this all on a Macbook Pro with Windows Vista, via VMware Fusion and a USB SATA adapter

UPDATE: It finished with C&DE and I am into the guided setup. So far so good....

Last edited by adischin : 01-11-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Update
adischin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #9812
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by adischin View Post
OK, noted on the backup images once I get it everything back to normal. Still going but it's only about 2 hours at this point.

Did not run wdidle3.exe....

The drives I got from DVR_dude are WD 20EURS-73SPKY0, 2.0TB

One more curveball here, I am doing this all on a Macbook Pro with Windows Vista, via VMware Fusion and a USB SATA adapter

UPDATE: It finished with C&DE and I am into the guided setup. So far so good....
Okay, if it's a recently manufactured WD20EURS then Intellipark is probably not enabled, but without connecting it directly to a SATA controller you can't use wdidle3 anyway.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #9813
adischin

UPDATE: I'm through CD&E and guided setup, just need someone at Time Warner to pair my card with the S3. Basic channels work without that.

Read something (can't verify if true or not) that Intellipark comes disabled by default with the WD drives. The manufacture date on the replacement from WD is October 2013.

One last thing is that I replaced all but three of the capacitors on the PS, working fine for now. The PS I have is one of the newer ones, the three caps in question are 16V/2200UF (mounted in a triangle formation under an aluminum L-shaped heatsink?). Anyone have the Mouser part numbers for those? Or can anyone recommend an equivalent replacement from another source? The ones I received were not skinny enough, need to be taller and smaller diameter.

Once I get my card paired, backup image time for the next drive replacement adventure....

Unitron - Thanks for the help!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #9814
unitron

Quote:
UPDATE: I'm through CD&E and guided setup, just need someone at Time Warner to pair my card with the S3. Basic channels work without that.

Read something (can't verify if true or not) that Intellipark comes disabled by default with the WD drives. The manufacture date on the replacement from WD is October 2013.

One last thing is that I replaced all but three of the capacitors on the PS, working fine for now. The PS I have is one of the newer ones, the three caps in question are 16V/2200UF (mounted in a triangle formation under an aluminum L-shaped heatsink?). Anyone have the Mouser part numbers for those? Or can anyone recommend an equivalent replacement from another source? The ones I received were not skinny enough, need to be taller and smaller diameter.

Once I get my card paired, backup image time for the next drive replacement adventure....

Unitron - Thanks for the help!

If those 3 caps don't need replacing now, they probably will eventually.

Where did you get the replacements that are too short and fat?

Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #9815
adischin

Agreed, it's not if but rather when those 3 will fail. When I first looked at the PS as a possible issue there was only one that was domed. I just need to figure out the right P/N's for the 16V/2200uF caps.

I ordered all of the caps from Mouser, including the ones that are too short/fat. They are the right size capacitance wise but no way they will fit in that space physically. Panasonic low ESR.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #9816
HerronScott

See if you can search for the Panasonic part number in this post assuming this is the HD power supply that you have and verify that the dimensions match what you need.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...96#post9518796

What Panasonic part number did you order from Mouser?

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #9817
adischin

EEU-FR1C222.

My PS is a newer version, less stuff on the board than what you'd find in a TCD652160 (bought one for parts to try the PS with my TCD658000). The caps are located under an upside-down L shaped heat sink with what looks to be some FET's screwed to it. They are tall and skinny compared to all others.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #9818
HerronScott

Can you measure the current capacitor in mm as the EEU-FR1C222 is the taller/thinner version of that capacitor (12.5mm x 22mm)? There is another version that's shorter and wider (EEU-FR1C1222S - 16mm x 20mm).

Scott
Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #9819
adischin

Going to open the box up again and measure those last three caps.

Just as I thought everything was OK again, I am getting Green Screen of Death, seems to be looping. This drive is brand new, anyone think it's one of the last three caps I didn't change?

Here's what I have done so far:

-New RMA replacement drive from WD (WD20EURS), no wdidle as I'm doing this from a Mac w/USB to SATA using WinMFS (Vista, running WinMFS as Admin).

-Used image provided by Unitron, no issues imaging with WinMFS, answered yes to utilizing extra space.

-Did C&DE, then went through guided setup. Could not get Time Warner on the phone so waited until now to do it. After C&DE guided setup went fine and normal TV channels were working OK. Let it run since that time, now looping Green Screen of Death. Brand new WD drive, manufacture date 10/2013.

What gives? Any ideas?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #9820
unitron

Quote:
Going to open the box up again and measure those last three caps.

Just as I thought everything was OK again, I am getting Green Screen of Death, seems to be looping. This drive is brand new, anyone think it's one of the last three caps I didn't change?

Here's what I have done so far:

-New RMA replacement drive from WD (WD20EURS), no wdidle as I'm doing this from a Mac w/USB to SATA using WinMFS (Vista, running WinMFS as Admin).

-Used image provided by Unitron, no issues imaging with WinMFS, answered yes to utilizing extra space.

-Did C&DE, then went through guided setup. Could not get Time Warner on the phone so waited until now to do it. After C&DE guided setup went fine and normal TV channels were working OK. Let it run since that time, now looping Green Screen of Death. Brand new WD drive, manufacture date 10/2013.

What gives? Any ideas?
When you do a copy or restore, do not accept the offer to expand.

Check the drive with

mfsinfo

Then expand the drive with

mfsadd

If you copy from another drive with WinMFS, the source drive is the one "selected", and after the copy is finished, you'll have to select the target drive before clicking on

mfsinfo

Then, when you run

mfsadd

it'll already be the drive selected.

When you restore from a file, you tell it to which drive to write the image, but I don't know if that counts as having "selected" it according to WinMFS's internal logic, so perhaps that has something to do with the need to do the expansion separately.

The green screen may be the TiVo straightening out the disparity between the TiVo Service Number that's burned into a chip on the motherboard and the different TSN that got copied from the hard drive from which the image was made, which will be the TSN of the TiVo out of which the drive from which the image was made was taken.

Did you see anything about Error 51? (Which is what they call that TSN mismatch)

Eventually it should get itself straightened out.

Unlikely power supply problems have anything to do with GSOD, and unlikely Intellipark is a problem, as if it's rebooting and going back into the GSOD, that means the motherboard is communicating with the drive enough to detect the problem that triggers the GSOD.

I don't know which version of the 658 software was on the TiVo from which that image was made, because I got it from someone else and just renamed it to put the 658 in the file name.

I didn't actually have a 658 to try it on.

I tried it in a 652 and it booted it and displayed the THX logo splash screen and I figured that was a pretty good indication that it would work in an actual 658.

If it's not a new enough version of the TiVo software (I think it needs to be at least 11.0h), then it might not be able to handle all 2TB, so maybe you should restore again without expanding, see if you can get it to boot and straighten out the TSN mismatch, and all that good stuff, and then let it update to 11.0m when it calls in, and only then pull it back out and run

mfsadd

on it.

Last edited by unitron : 01-12-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #9821
adischin

Going to do that tomorrow night after work. Fingers crossed....

In the meantime I went back through old posts and saw Scott's cap list for the AcBel PS which is what I have, here are the ones that Scott posted that I need:

C14 2200uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C222 P14402-ND $1.01
C27 2200uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C222 P14402-ND $1.01
C17 2200uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C222 P14402-ND $1.01

It sounds like there might be a different version of this with different dimensions (which is what I received from Mouser), anyone ordered these caps recently with success? If so, where from? Mouser was where I got the last round and they are fine, but OK to order from anywhere at this point.

As always, thank you all for your help!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #9822
adischin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Can you measure the current capacitor in mm as the EEU-FR1C222 is the taller/thinner version of that capacitor (12.5mm x 22mm)? There is another version that's shorter and wider (EEU-FR1C1222S - 16mm x 20mm).

Scott
Just posted a reply to Unitron's last post, but I can tell you I have the AcBel PS in my 658, also have the 3Y in the parts 652 I bought (which works fine, just no subscripton - couple of bulging caps though). I need these locations:

C14 2200uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C222 P14402-ND $1.01
C27 2200uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C222 P14402-ND $1.01
C17 2200uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C222 P14402-ND $1.01

Where did you get yours?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #9823
HerronScott

I had not actually replaced the capacitors in my HD (no need yet) but those part numbers are from DigiKey where I did buy the capacitors to fix the power supplies in my S3 OLED TiVo's. Did you measure the size of the current capacitors yet?

Scott
Old 01-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #9824
mike212

Mfsadd failed!

I've gone through the instructions to swap out a new 1TB drive for a previously upgraded 1TB drive in an Tivo HD.

Following the 22. B. instructions, line item #15, Select Tools-> Mfsadd

I get a message box saying Mfsadd failed! Followed by another box saying Error Number: 2 Error Message: Not enough room to force expand!

The thing to note is that the drive I copied from was nearly full of shows (I forgot to clear out recently deleted and it was almost full of non-deleted shows). Do I need to put the original back in the tivo, delete some things and then re-run? I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

Thanks.
mike212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #9825
lpwcomp

Is there a typo in your post? It indicates that you are just going to a new drive of the same size so there would be nothing to add.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #9826
losaltos

mfsadd

How did you make the duplicate drive? There are many sets of instructions out there.
losaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #9827
mike212

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Is there a typo in your post? It indicates that you are just going to a new drive of the same size so there would be nothing to add.
It's correct, I'm going from 1TB to 1TB drive (the old one is 5 yrs + old and making unhealthy sounding noises).

So I guess that means its fine as is. I was just going through the directions step by step without really thinking about what each portion was trying to accomplish, but what you are saying makes sense - there is nothing to add so its fine. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #9828
mike212

Quote:
Originally Posted by losaltos View Post
How did you make the duplicate drive? There are many sets of instructions out there.
Followed the B instructions after this link:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#instructions

Need to scroll down to the version that preserves current recordings.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #9829
Red NSX

New here, like many other forums there is an enormous amount of info here. I would like to thank those that put all of their energy to helping others with a common interest. Bravo.

Is upgrading a hard drive as easy as it seams here? I have medium computer skills. Between my friends and myself we have about 8, S3 HDs and S3 HD XLs. It would be nice to find a way to replace a hard drive for under $100. Having roughly all the same units should simplify the process.

I have a Dell Win7 desktop and am looking at a WD hard drive, WD20EURS for $80.

What do you think? Should I give it a try?

Thanks
Red NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #9830
mattack

Wait, "S3 HD XLs" really means Tivo HD, right? If so, you can use the jmfs CD, which makes it VERY easy.

You have to do command line tools manually (which still isn't hard, but if you do it wrong, you can hose the wrong drive) with S3 and earlier.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #9831
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Wait, "S3 HD XLs" really means Tivo HD, right? If so, you can use the jmfs CD, which makes it VERY easy.

You have to do command line tools manually (which still isn't hard, but if you do it wrong, you can hose the wrong drive) with S3 and earlier.
But if you use WinMFS, which isn't all that difficult, you can make a truncated backup file of the original drive as well, which may come in handy down the road.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #9832
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red NSX View Post
New here, like many other forums there is an enormous amount of info here. I would like to thank those that put all of their energy to helping others with a common interest. Bravo.

Is upgrading a hard drive as easy as it seams here? I have medium computer skills. Between my friends and myself we have about 8, S3 HDs and S3 HD XLs. It would be nice to find a way to replace a hard drive for under $100. Having roughly all the same units should simplify the process.

I have a Dell Win7 desktop and am looking at a WD hard drive, WD20EURS for $80.

What do you think? Should I give it a try?

Thanks
Who's got the EURS for $80?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #9833
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Who's got the EURS for $80?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042AG9V8/...I2JOQSS2JD1P6P
76.99 + 5.95 ship

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #9834
Red NSX

I guess I should have been clearer, the HD is a TCD652160and the HD XL is a TCD658000.

ThAbtO is right, a Amazon vendor has the 2TB drives, and cheaper than the 1TB.

I am not so sure about jmfs as I have no knowledge of any command line prompts. I am sure there are posts that explain it well. But if WinMFS can do it without command lines it would simplify my work. Right.

Unitron, what does truncated copy mean, it sounds more complicated than make a copy.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #9835
unitron

Quote:
Unitron, what does truncated copy mean, it sounds more complicated than make a copy.
It means that when you back up a 160GB drive, you wind up with a file small enough to fit on a cd-r and not so big that it needs another 160GB drive.

It's what the original MFS Tools, from which spike derived the MFS Live cd, and WinMFS, which he also wrote, turn out as a combination of general file compression techniques and including only the actual TiVo software and the instructions on what size the partitions are supposed to be.

MFS Tools/MFS Live turn out image files with the .bak extension and WinMFS creates them with a .tbk extension.

They aren't interchangeable.

WinMFS can't/won't use the .bak files and the command line software doesn't understand spike's .tbk format.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #9836
Red NSX

Thanks for the explanation. It is amazing how this forum with people like you are continuously helping the less educated. Hopefully I will be able to share as well.

I bought a 2TB hard drive and will put it into the 658000 HD XL. It is dead right now so I will have to find an image to use.

Thnanks
Old 01-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #9837
silentguy

Tivo HD Series 3 160GB to 2TB Upgrade

I just upgraded a TIVO HD Series 3 from 160gb to 2TB.

I used WD20EURS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM
$95 from NEWEGG free shipping.

Here are my notes. Information I got mostly from this FAQ and the internet.
It may help others.

I could do everything but the Acoustic Management which I dont think is critical.

My HD recording hours went from 21 to 318 hours.

----------

Instructions to upgrade a Tivo HD Series 3 160gb system to 2TB.

Use number 10 torx bit to remove tivo cover

Remove Tivo original drive and plug into SATA of Windows 7 PC.
Unplug SATA and power of original Windows 7 drive

Plug in to SATA new 2TB Western Digital 2TB WD EURS Green drive to Windows 7 PC

Make sure DVD ROM Drive is plugged into sata of Windows 7 PC.

Configure Windows 7 PC to boot from DVD ROM first.

3 SATA Devices should be connected to the Windows 7 PC

1. Original TIVO 160gb drive
2. New Western Digital 2TB drive (No need to format it)
3. DVD ROM Drive

Put into DVD ROM JFMS 1.04 BOOT CD

Boot and follow instrutions to copy Original TIVO drive to NEW Western Digital 2TB drive

The copy without any preservation of recordings takes about 1 hour

After Copy is complete EXPAND the drive using JFMS as it requests.

Do not SUPERSIZE with JFMS, but use WINFMS.EXE under Windows 7 instead.

----
Disable the idle time drive head park function:

Boot Ultimate Boot CD UBCD with wdidle3

1. Exit to Free Dos.

Use these DOS commands :

T:
cd ubcd\dosapps\wdidle3
wdidle3.exe /d

A successful output looks like this :

idle3 Timer is disabled

-----

Try to adjust acoustic management.
This did not work for the WD EURS drive.
It said AAM not supported.

RUN as ADMINISTRATOR in Windows 7
HDDScan.exe

Select the Tivo Drive from the drop down menu
Click Round Blue New Task button
Select Features -> IDE Features
Drag Slider all the way to left until it reads 128
Click Set

----

Can also try Hitachi Feature Tool Boot CD
Choose AAM
Set AAM value to 128
Click OK

----

Using Windows 7 OS.
Use WINMFS for SUPERSIZE and BACKUPS only
Backup the original TIVO 160gb drive
Backup the new WD 2TB drive

WinMFS.exe

File -> Select TIVO Drive

File -> Backup

create Truncated Backup, Boot, Kernel

To Supersize

Select Tools -> MfsSuperSize -> On

Power Down
Disconnect drives
Put New 2TB in Tivo

SIZE of recording space should increased from:
280gb to 318gb HD hours
2,777 SD hours
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #9838
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. It is amazing how this forum with people like you are continuously helping the less educated. Hopefully I will be able to share as well.

I bought a 2TB hard drive and will put it into the 658000 HD XL. It is dead right now so I will have to find an image to use.

Thnanks
Not the most recent version, but it'll get you started.

You'll have to use WinMFS

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49887720/658000.tbk

After you restore it to the drive, when it offers to expand, say no.

(Cause sometimes it only looks like it worked)

Then test it.

Then go back and expand using the

mfsadd

command in WinMFS.

EDIT TO ADD:

Before putting that new 2TB drive into service, run the manufacturer's diagnostic long test on it.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #9839
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
I just upgraded a TIVO HD Series 3 from 160gb to 2TB.

I used WD20EURS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM
$95 from NEWEGG free shipping.

Here are my notes. Information I got mostly from this FAQ and the internet.
It may help others.

I could do everything but the Acoustic Management which I dont think is critical.

My HD recording hours went from 21 to 318 hours.

----------

Instructions to upgrade a Tivo HD Series 3 160gb system to 2TB.

Use number 10 torx bit to remove tivo cover

Remove Tivo original drive and plug into SATA of Windows 7 PC.
Unplug SATA and power of original Windows 7 drive

Plug in to SATA new 2TB Western Digital 2TB WD EURS Green drive to Windows 7 PC

Make sure DVD ROM Drive is plugged into sata of Windows 7 PC.

Configure Windows 7 PC to boot from DVD ROM first.

3 SATA Devices should be connected to the Windows 7 PC

1. Original TIVO 160gb drive
2. New Western Digital 2TB drive (No need to format it)
3. DVD ROM Drive

Put into DVD ROM JFMS 1.04 BOOT CD

Boot and follow instrutions to copy Original TIVO drive to NEW Western Digital 2TB drive

The copy without any preservation of recordings takes about 1 hour

After Copy is complete EXPAND the drive using JFMS as it requests.

Do not SUPERSIZE with JFMS, but use WINFMS.EXE under Windows 7 instead.

----
Disable the idle time drive head park function:

Boot Ultimate Boot CD UBCD with wdidle3

1. Exit to Free Dos.

Use these DOS commands :

T:
cd ubcd\dosapps\wdidle3
wdidle3.exe /d

A successful output looks like this :

idle3 Timer is disabled

-----

Try to adjust acoustic management.
It said AAM not supported.

HDDScan.exe

Select the Tivo Drive from the drop down menu
Click Round Blue New Task button
Select Features -> IDE Features
Drag Slider all the way to left until it reads 128
Click Set

----

Can also try Hitachi Feature Tool Boot CD
Choose AAM
Set AAM value to 128
Click OK

----

Using Windows 7 OS.
Use WINMFS for SUPERSIZE and BACKUPS only
Backup the original TIVO 160gb drive
Backup the new WD 2TB drive

WinMFS.exe

File -> Select TIVO Drive

File -> Backup

create Truncated Backup, Boot, Kernel

To Supersize

Select Tools -> MfsSuperSize -> On

Power Down
Disconnect drives
Put New 2TB in Tivo

SIZE of recording space should increased from:
280gb to 318gb HD hours
2,777 SD hours

Nothing against jmfs, but you could have done it all with WinMFS.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #9840
Red NSX

Thanks Unitron for the 658000 image. Unitron, when I get this all done would you like an updated image for the 658000? After I expand the drive wouldn't I also have to supersize it as well.