TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
wilhouse

The CCK-W and THR22

OK, my mom has two THR22 units. They are DirecTV receivers with TIVO software. She has a wireless router but it's too far away to run cable to the THR22's.

We want to get a CCK-W to hook them up so they can get updates wirelessly (the phone update seems to fail because of issues with the phone lines).

Questions:

1. Will 1 CCK-W be able to hook up to both units or will she need two of them? The directv rep said we only need 1 but it seems that that's only true if we have the whole home network setup, which we do not. It seems like we'll need two of them.

2. One user on amazon posted that the CCK-W won't work on the directv receivers with Tivo software, which is what the THR-22 is. The Directv web page says it should work. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with it?

thanks
wilhouse
wilhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
First of all, there are no phone updates. The phone cord can be disconnected without any issues. All "updates" come over the satellite. The network connection doesn't do a lot for the THR22 but you need only one CCK. If both THR22s are on a SWM then all one needs is a DECA to get Ethernet for the second one.

The bigger issue is that one cannot configure a CCK using a THR22. I might suggest instead a generic wireless bridge and an Ethernet switch.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
the_Skywise

You might also look at powerline ethernet too.
the_Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
wilhouse

I know this will be an controverisal post but I'm going to say it as I see it.

When the THR-22 connects to get program information, it dials a number. You can hear it dial. It then connects to the Tivo program guide service via phone line and dl's the info.

Steve was correct that you can't configure the CCKW via the THR22. However, I hooked it up directly to the computer via ethernet and configured the network id and password manually via web page (http://169.254.1.100:8080). Then I hooked the CCKW back up to the THR22 via ethernet and it immediately knew it had a wireless ethernet adapter and connected to the Tivo program guide service immediately via wireless signal. No dialing and it happened super fast vs. taking forever on dial up.

I'm just letting people know for info, it can be done.
wilhouse
Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
wilhouse is incorrect - the THR22 does not use the phone line for the program guide. If it is not connected to the Internet, then it will call in to DirecTV once a month or so to upload any PPV purchases. All guide data comes from the satellite, and has for perhaps a decade now. The THR22 does not call TiVo at all.

I figured there was some way to configure the CCK via a computer but I didn't know the details.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #6
wilhouse

Let me ask this:

When you go into the network connection and hit "connect to Tivo service now" and it connects and you hear it dialing, what is it doing? And when you pull the phone cord out of the back of the unit, and it gives you a "cannot connect" error, why is that?

The way I understand it is that Tivo holds the program guide information, not Directv. Directv sends it to Tivo and Tivo sends it to the THR22. I could be wrong but that seems like what's happening.

Yeah, it was pretty easy actually to configure the CCKW via the computer. It looks just like a router webpage setup. The only weird part is when you add your ssid and password and save it, it then gives you an error saying that the CCKW can't connect. This is ok though since it's not connected to a DVR unit it can't see anything.

wilhouse
Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Actually, the guide data is provided by a company called Tribune. TiVo has nothing to do with it. This is true for 'genuine' TiVos as well (I used to work for a cable company supplying TiVo Premieres to customers and had to update the programming information!).

The reason your box is trying to dial in is because your wifi connection is probably not working and it's the only way the box sees of communicating with D*. The box will always default to the phone if it can't find an internet connection.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't think there is a "connect to TiVo service" item on the THR22. I am away from home and can't check. For older DirecTV TiVos, they do call into TiVo but only to get the service authorization. Guide data comes over the satellite. I ran an HR10 for several years with no phone connection at all. Are you sure you're not looking at some older DTiVo?

These boxes also call DirecTV for PPV reporting, but there is no user visibility into this.