TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Which option sounds the best?
Ditch the two lifetime S3s in favor of a single lifetime Mini 9 36.00%
Keep the two lifetime S3s for now 5 20.00%
Ditch the two lifetime S3s for a 4-tuner Roamio instead? 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
buscuitboy

any other reasons to keep Series 3 TiVo over a Mini?

Long story, but I am in a situation where I could basically sell two lifetimed Series 3 TiVos (a TCD648250B and a TCD652160) on ebay. From what I can tell, probably get about $200-250 for each of them.

I could then get a lifetimed TiVo mini (Yes, I do also have a 4-tuner Premiere in my network). I am wondering if I should do it or not & comparing some of the reasons.

As far as I can initially see, the main advantages of course is the mini has a much faster interface (that is also HD), can "stream" flagged material from my Premieres (aka...my Comcast HBO recordings) & no use or potential expense of a cable card.

Only real advantages I can see for keeping the Series 3s are primarily having more network storage for recordings. However, can ONLY transfer non-flagged content (In other words, can't transfer HBO recordings). Can't stream to/from at all with Series 3s.

Any other advantages/disadvantages for keeping one over the other?

Last edited by buscuitboy : 01-05-2014 at 07:55 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

You didn't mention - get rid of the two S3's and purchase a Roamio Plus and a Mini. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier!

If you want the OTA compatibility, then get the Roamio Basic. If you see yourself staying with cable, get the 6 tuner Roamio Plus.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Does Comcast charge high Additional Outlet Fees where you live? That'd be another plus for the Minis. You could also '86 the cablecards and just keep the S3's for storage.

I guess it really comes down to how much storage and how many tuners you need.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you already have a 4 tuner Premiere and don't actually need the tuners in the S3 units then converting them to Minis is a no brainer.

The two other things you would lose by converting to Mini from a S3, besides storage and tuners which you know, is the ability to play Amazon downloads and the ability to get shows from a PC using pyTiVo. Although in both cases there are workarounds you can use if you really need that functionality.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #5
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
You didn't mention - get rid of the two S3's and purchase a Roamio Plus and a Mini. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier!
I had thought about this, but I was hoping to move to lifetime equipment. A lifetime Roamio and lifetime Mini are probably going to cost me about $850 up front. I realize that after selling the S3s, it would make it a net cost of about $400, but not an expense I was looking to incur right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Does Comcast charge high Additional Outlet Fees where you live? That'd be another plus for the Minis.
I thought about this too, but I apparently have been REAL lucky as I am getting charged only $1.50/month for each of my cable cards (5 of them). I guess if I was getting charged the $10/month per cable card that I hear Comcast is charging some others, it would be a no brainer to move to one or more minis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The two other things you would lose by converting to Mini from a S3, besides storage and tuners which you know, is the ability to play Amazon downloads and the ability to get shows from a PC using pyTiVo. Although in both cases there are workarounds you can use if you really need that functionality.
The Amazon Downloads is not a big deal, but I totally forgot about the pyTiVo ability and actually use this on occasion. Good point.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 01-07-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Well for pyTiVo you can initiate the download to the main 4 tuner unit and then stream it to the Mini from there. Even while it's still transferring. Not quite as convenient, but workable.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Bigg

The Minis use less electricity as well. Replace them with Minis!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #8
pmiranda

Here's one.. I kept my 2006 S3 when I got a Premiere in 2012, and (with a new hard drive and power supply) the S3 is still going strong but the premiere's video output seems to have died already. They don't build them like they used to :-)
(Luckily the Premiere is still under warranty, which is novel for me... usually stuff breaks well after.)
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
They don't build them like they used to :-) (Luckily the Premiere is still under warranty, which is novel for me... usually stuff breaks well after.)
This. Our S3 has far fewer problems than our newer Premiere (which has been replaced three times in 18 months).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
This. Our S3 has far fewer problems than our newer Premiere (which has been replaced three times in 18 months).
Interesting as I recently got a 2-tuner Premiere with lifetime. Its basically only a week old, but I wonder if I should get an extended warranty for it. Tivo is offering one for $30 or Squaretrade has them for about $15 (3 yrs).

I have never been a fan of extended warranties, but have been wanting to give Squaretrade a try and at only $15, it might be worth a shot.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have several Premiere units ranging from 4 years old to a year old. All of them still work fine. Like anything it's luck of the draw.

Although if you're going to get lifetime service an extended warranty is a good idea.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I have several Premiere units ranging from 4 years old to a year old. All of them still work fine. Like anything it's luck of the draw.

Although if you're going to get lifetime service an extended warranty is a good idea.
Provided that the extended warranty covers the lifetime sub as well as the hardware.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Provided that the extended warranty covers the lifetime sub as well as the hardware.
My understanding is the warranty and the lifetime cover one box replacement. Personally I'd prefer a repair if possible since it's less hassle with pairing cablecards and losing recordings, season passes, etc.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #14
mattack

One issue that is probably ignorable for most people is that if you have a program with a glitch in it (that will then not successfully transfer to a computer), you can transfer it to a S3, then transfer from _after_ the glitch point with "transfer from paused point" in kmttg.

I realize that sounds like a very very very small use case, and is, but I run into glitchy recordings every once in a while, and often keep musical performances, which tend to be near the end of shows.. So likely will sell my P4 (I bought a Roamio recently) and keep my TivoHD.. that being one of the reasons...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 AM   #15
HF444

Series 3 over Tivo HD ?

Which would be better to hold on to?

The Series 3, which is older, or the HD which is newer ?
HF444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:48 AM   #16
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
... can ONLY transfer non-flagged content (In other words, can't transfer [my redaction of the source] recordings)
That, of course, is your choice with the S3 (or HD or earlier). With the later units like the mini you don't have that choice. I personally see that as a huge advantage to the S3.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF444 View Post
Which would be better to hold on to?

The Series 3, which is older, or the HD which is newer ?
If both are lifetimed, the S3, because you (by which I mean someone skilled in unsoldering and resoldering Surface Mount Devics) can move the crypto chip (which holds the TiVo Service Number to which the lifetime sub is tied) to another S3/648 motherboard if that one dies, thus moving the subscription and saving all of your recordings which are also tied to the TSN.

Beginning with the HD, there was no separate crypto chip, it's all built into the CPU, which is much harder to move.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #18
Bigg

Quote:
My understanding is the warranty and the lifetime cover one box replacement. Personally I'd prefer a repair if possible since it's less hassle with pairing cablecards and losing recordings, season passes, etc.
Except that the most likely failure would be a hard drive. Does TiVo back the user data (obviously excluding the recordings themselves) up to the cloud? What would be even more amazing is if it was smart enough to have a list of what you recorded, and try to re-record it if the drive failed or you switched to another box...
Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Except that the most likely failure would be a hard drive. Does TiVo back the user data (obviously excluding the recordings themselves) up to the cloud? What would be even more amazing is if it was smart enough to have a list of what you recorded, and try to re-record it if the drive failed or you switched to another box...
In theory the season passes and list of shows will remain on TiVo.com although the nifty season pass manager that would let you move them from box to box doesn't seem to be working at the moment. It wouldn't be impossible for them to do as you suggest but I'm looking at this as an early, forced, spring cleaning.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #20
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
And my Elite has been more reliable than the couple of Tivo HDs that preceded it, even with the new HDUI.

YMMV, but you can't say that any one series is better than the others reliability-wise.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #21
pmiranda

My premiere did work better than my S3... Definitely a bit quicker and is a little less glitchy. But I like having the moving TiVo guy on the S3 menus :-)
In any case, it's wonderful to have a hot spare around.

Maybe more on-topic, does Roamio Plus allow streaming of copy-protected programming (everything not OTA on time warner), or does it have the same limitation as a 3rd gen TiVo?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #22
andyw715

I decided to keep my TiVo HD and put it upstairs for the kids. The plan is to get a Roamio and a mini.
Profiles would be nice.
andyw715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #23
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Maybe more on-topic, does Roamio Plus allow streaming of copy-protected programming?
Yes, but only to other Roamios, Premieres, or Minis.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #24
refried

I just replaced my TivoHD with a Roamio for OTA and it's the greatest TiVo upgrade I've ever had. Much better interfaces for Netflix and Hulu Plus. I think the OTA reception is better too.
refried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #25
buscuitboy

I see how the Roamios are now basically $149 at Amazon and/or Best Buy (after $50 gift card promo...probably ending soon). Its VERY tempting at this price.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #26
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I see how the Roamios are now basically $149 at Amazon and/or Best Buy (after $50 gift card promo...probably ending soon). Its VERY tempting at this price.
Plus $500 for service. It's amusing how people respond to relatively small price changes. It basically went from $700 to $650. Big whoop.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:06 AM   #27
pmiranda

One reason to upgrade... S3 will probably never support new mp4 channels some cablecos are rolling out: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r280...support-status
Old 01-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #28
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

I use my S3 as an OTA backup.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #29
timckelley
TCFer

I went the opposite direction. I recently bought a used lifetimed S2 (with bad hard drive) for $40 from Craigslist.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #30
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

LOL, S2s. People still care about SD?
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote