TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #31
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I think the most obvious reason has been missed if I skimmed the answers properly. Two units means no SINGLE POINT FAILURE.

I've had TiVos since 1999 and very one of them eventually needed a new hard drive eventually. I'm not willing to lose TV while I sort out the problems. So I have two units as well as DTV unit that I have for the NFL/MLB but could use in a pinch.
You guys are changing my thinking on this. Maybe I should consider two basic Roamios. That would give me 8 tuners total, plus OTA reception. I could still see both playlists and season passes online from what I've read. And, from what I've been reading, I'm less likely to have issues with Time Warner's tuning adapter/cable card is the 4 tuner model (or am I misreading that)?
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #32
uw69

Or you could just have a spare hard drive on site and swap in a new HD if you had an issue. Takes about 10 to 15 mins to swap the hard drive on a Roamio.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #33
BigHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Or you could just have a spare hard drive on site and swap in a new HD if you had an issue. Takes about 10 to 15 mins to swap the hard drive on a Roamio.
Admittedly, I have not swapped a drive in a Roamio and hope it's a loooong time before I do. But I have discovered that changing a drive in a PremiereXL isn't as simple as it used to be with the advanced copy protection now on HBO etc. This now leads to a painful evolution with FIOS/Verizon to "re-pair" the card. I can get access to all but these prem. channels on my own via their website, but it's usually a two hour or more long process to get this resolved. So unless the Roamio stores that data somewhere other than where the Prem XL does, it's no 10-15 minute job.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #34
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Admittedly, I have not swapped a drive in a Roamio and hope it's a loooong time before I do. But I have discovered that changing a drive in a PremiereXL isn't as simple as it used to be with the advanced copy protection now on HBO etc. This now leads to a painful evolution with FIOS/Verizon to "re-pair" the card. I can get access to all but these prem. channels on my own via their website, but it's usually a two hour or more long process to get this resolved. So unless the Roamio stores that data somewhere other than where the Prem XL does, it's no 10-15 minute job.
Pairing a cable card can be simple or complex depending on the level of expertise shown by your service provider, but to physically change a hard drive is as stated, a 10 to 15 min job. Rerunning guided set up etc. of course adds additional time.

Still believe it's a bit over kill to have multiple Roamio's for protection against a hard drive failure.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 11-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #35
marklyn

Quote:
Pairing a cable card can be simple or complex depending on the level of expertise shown by your service provider, but to physically change a hard drive is as stated, a 10 to 15 min job. Rerunning guided set up etc. of course adds additional time.

Still believe it's a bit over kill to have multiple Roamio's for protection against a hard drive failure.
I go back and forth between two basics and one Roamio plus. But, as mentioned, even with one unit if it goes down, I put in a new drive and we're back up in about 20 minutes or so. I do like the option of having OTA though.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 11-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #36
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
I go back and forth between two basics and one Roamio plus. But, as mentioned, even with one unit if it goes down, I put in a new drive and we're back up in about 20 minutes or so. I do like the option of having OTA though.
It's a decision only each individual can make. If 6 tuners isn't enough, if some OTA capability is desired or if you like to keep recorded shows separate ( like kids from adult shows) all seem like reasonable rationale to get multiple units.

Hard drive failure seems a bit of a stretch, with a little planning to have a spare drive close at hand. I have a plus with a 3tb hard drive, i have the original 1TB drive and a spare 3TB drive on hand just in case.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #37
ltxi

Quote:
Well, here's my situation, solution, and reasoning:

Been doing TiVo since December 2000 and am a tunnel vision addict.

For the last four years I've had three units running. A 1TB, two tuner Premiere in the LR, a 1TB, S3 HDXL in the MBR, and a 2TB S3 HDXL in my basement work out room that also served as the back up for stuff we did not want to lose in case of a drive failure. I've long been sensitive to the single point failure issue.

With drive failure followed by other flakiness ironically involving the back up unit, tuner and drive full management issues with the Premiere, and the introduction of the S5s I just upgraded our system. Practical options for me came down to the existing S4 with Lifetime and: 1) 3TB Romaio Plus and existing S3 2) 3TB Roamio Plus and a Mini 3) 3TB Roamio Plus and a 3TB Roamio Basic 4) two 3TB Roamio Plus units.

Option 1) went south after my wife saw the Roamio with HD menus that actually work and the interactive abilities with the other units the S3 lacks
Option 2) is clearly economically attractive but as noted by me and others in this thread we don't want each others recording tastes and habits polluting each others TiVos. Absent that and the SPF concern I think this thin client solution is prolly the best
Option 3) and it's possible companion, two upgraded Roamio Basics, went to non-starter because the form factor is different/new, oriented to cheap, and is unproven. Less inherent capability, and doesn't really save much money.
Option 4) is where I/we ended up. S4 went to the basement workout room and also serves as a convenient back up, mostly for my stuff. And we have a good interactive system that doesn't need tuner nor content management.

Notes...OTA capability is dnc for for us. Roamio Plus with a drop in 3TB WD 30EUR AV drive upgrade vs the Pro just on general value principles. As a Basic upgrade this or a 2TB drive should be a no brainer....better drive and less power drain than the original. Comcast Denver additional cable card charge is a dnc $1.99/month.

Last edited by ltxi : 11-13-2013 at 07:39 PM.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #38
mattack

Quote:
You guys are changing my thinking on this. Maybe I should consider two basic Roamios. That would give me 8 tuners total, plus OTA reception. I could still see both playlists and season passes online from what I've read. And, from what I've been reading, I'm less likely to have issues with Time Warner's tuning adapter/cable card is the 4 tuner model (or am I misreading that)?
But then you also have two SP managers to keep up to date.

In theory I agree with the "single point of failure" argument FOR having multiple Tivos, but even as someone who had a Tivo *completely die* (apparently fried as new power supply wouldn't make it even turn on), I'd rather DAY TO DAY have ONE season pass list.

The only other thing that's being less important to me day to day but still slightly a pain is that you cannot transfer (to computer) "from pause point" on Premieres (or presumably Roamio) anymore.. So as someone who did(*)/does collect musical performances from talk shows, which often are near the end of the show, a glitch in the recording means you can't transfer it to a computer.

(*) Out of my own carelessness, I killed a drive with a lot of the stuff I had on it, so I guess I don't care about the recordings TOO much since I was using a bare drive with a connector cable and no backups!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #39
KevinG

If you have multiple roamios, and a few minis, what, if any, is the interface like for choosing which roamio you want to "see" from the mini?

In other words, if one roamio is for the kids shows, and the other roamio is for the "grown-up" shows...how does a given mini choose which one to "browse"?
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #40
dave13077

I would love to transition from my Premiere XL4 and 2 tuner Premiere to a Roamio Pro and a Mini (I already have another Mini Mini in our bedroom). My issue is transferring all the recorded content from the XL4 to the new Roamio. Easy to transfer non copy restricted shows but how does anyone, if even possible, move the copy protected content to the Romano?
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #41
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
If you have multiple roamios, and a few minis, what, if any, is the interface like for choosing which roamio you want to "see" from the mini?

In other words, if one roamio is for the kids shows, and the other roamio is for the "grown-up" shows...how does a given mini choose which one to "browse"?
It will show up at the bottom of the "My Shows" list. But you can also easily link the mini to a different Roamio by going to the settings and changing it. But no matter which one it's linked to, as long as the other Roamio is on the same account and same network, it will show up in the my Shows list for you to browse through the recorded shows.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
At CEDIA I asked about profiles/separate folders for individual family members. I was told by one of the TiVo booth people that it was looked at but that it was considered too complicated for most folks to figure out.

Of course, most of us here would have no problem with this feature, but TiVo is also catering to people who are a lot less technologically oriented, so I can see their point of view.
Well, they can solve the "too complicated" issue by simply not making it on by default. Only let profiles be there for people who take the initiative to set them up. Problem solved for everyone.

Also, I think you have to be pretty dang technology oriented to even have a TiVo in your house. Maybe not every user, but someone in the house has to be pretty committed to the platform to even bring it in.

Non-techy people are just going to get the cable company DVR and not mess with things like CableCards, Tuning Adaptors, MOCA networks, etc...
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #43
DigitalDawn

I agree with you, but obviously TiVo doesn't concur.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #44
uw69

At first I didn't understand why profiles would be needed. Having come from multiple TiVo's (kids, wife, mine and ours) profiles were basically the different TiVo's around the house.

Now with a Roamio and two Mini's (and potentially more Mini's in the future) I wish there was some way to set up profiles to allow the segregation of shows. Maybe TiVo will work on this when the push to fix Roamio anomalies is over.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 11-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #45
BigHat

Quote:

I guess it's a hassle to me and not to others. I have had to engage Verizon twice since they initiated the premium channel copy protection and it's always been a full day, pain in the ass. The first time was a 10 min drive change (I got worried about some transitory issues that surfaced) after I installed my standby HD I had in reserve from Weaknees followed by techs asking me the series of stupid questions about the unit before getting serious. When the Roamio was introduced I bought one and replaced one of two Premieres. That might be a different scenario from a user starting from scratch. To me the single point failure is a major weakness. I can certainly live without TV for a few days but with a spare that works independently I feel a bit better.

Would you live with only one way to get online?

Last edited by BigHat : 11-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #46
dcpmark

Quote:
At first I didn't understand why profiles would be needed. Having come from multiple TiVo's (kids, wife, mine and ours) profiles were basically the different TiVo's around the house.

Now with a Roamio and two Mini's (and potentially more Mini's in the future) I wish there was some way to set up profiles to allow the segregation of shows. Maybe TiVo will work on this when the push to fix Roamio anomalies is over.

Agreed. I'm very happy so far switching to a Roamio Pro and 3 Minis, but profiles would be awesome! For those of you like me who do the TiVO surveys, PLEASE keep asking for profiles at the end of every one.
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #47
rcahall

Mini's Connection to Multiple Roamio's

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It will show up at the bottom of the "My Shows" list. But you can also easily link the mini to a different Roamio by going to the settings and changing it. But no matter which one it's linked to, as long as the other Roamio is on the same account and same network, it will show up in the my Shows list for you to browse through the recorded shows.
So just to clarify, if I have 2 Roamio Plus' and 3 Mini's, the 3 Mini's will show the recordings from both Roamio's without having to switch the DVR they're "connected" to?

I saw someone say that the 2 Roamio's would see each other's shows natively, so I just wanted to clarify about the Mini's.

We currently have 1 Roamio Plus & 3 Mini's but am curious about this in case we decide to add a second Roamio.
rcahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #48
DigitalDawn

Yes, this is true. You can watch shows from any Premiere or Roamio connected to your network.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #49
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcahall View Post
So just to clarify, if I have 2 Roamio Plus' and 3 Mini's, the 3 Mini's will show the recordings from both Roamio's without having to switch the DVR they're "connected" to?

I saw someone say that the 2 Roamio's would see each other's shows natively, so I just wanted to clarify about the Mini's.

We currently have 1 Roamio Plus & 3 Mini's but am curious about this in case we decide to add a second Roamio.
Yeah the other TiVos on your network which are not the Primary TiVo show up at the bottom of the list, just like they do when you're using the real TiVo, and you can select them and play anything you want from them as well.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:18 AM   #50
HF444

Why 2 Roamio's ...

From what has been discussed so far in this thread,

it seems that the most flexible setup would be 2 Roamio Basic's.
HF444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:22 AM   #51
HF444

wWhy 2 Roamio's...

Oops. Hit the submit button too soon.

Having 2 boxes provides redundancy, and failure "issues".

Roamio Basic's would provide a total of 8 tuners combined across OTA or cable,

and for the family that needs it, a sort of "filing" system for the recordings.

And the purchase costs work out.

Comments ?
HF444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #52
aaronwt
HD Addict

If there was not an extra cost for cable cards, I would have my Roamio BAsic on cable too. Just so I could split up some of these season passes. But cables cards on FiOS are $5 each now. At one time I had eight, and it's nice to finally be down to one cable card.

If TiVo would implement profiles it would make things easier. By not having profiles it actually makes it more complicated. So all SPs are jumbled together. It's much more difficult to keep track of. With profiles it would make things much easier to keep track of. So it perplexes me why someone from TiVo would say that profiles would make things more complicated, while in reality, not having profiles makes things more complicated.

It's so difficult to keep track of the things my GF wants recorded. I have to wade through literally hundreds of recordings to find her stuff. If there were profiles it would make things much easier. I would be able to find her things in a few seconds.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #53
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
If you are a TWC customer you might benefit from having an OTA Roamio because any TiVo on TWC is going to have the copy protection bit on for every channel with few if any exceptions.

OTA recordings can always be copied.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #54
conjoe

Does Time Warner require both a cable card and a tuning adaptor?
conjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #55
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjoe View Post
If you want to receive more than analog (basic) channels, yes, there is no other way from what I understand.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 01-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #56
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjoe View Post
Yes, in general, you need both. Most TWC markets are heavily invested in Switched Digital Video for delivering many of the digital channels. From my experience, with only a CableCard, I can get most of the popular SD channels and only the Local Broadcast networks (CBS, ABC, etc) + ESPN in HD. All other HD channels require a Tuning Adapter.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #57
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF444 View Post
Roamio Basic's would provide a total of 8 tuners combined across OTA or cable
Just to be clear you have to dedicate the entire Roamio to either OTA or cable. They can not combine the inputs like the old 2 tuner units could.

Personally I'd rather have a single 6 tuner TiVo and a Mini then two Roamio's. Managing recordings between multiple units is a PITA.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #58
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Just to be clear you have to dedicate the entire Roamio to either OTA or cable. They can not combine the inputs like the old 2 tuner units could.

Personally I'd rather have a single 6 tuner TiVo and a Mini then two Roamio's. Managing recordings between multiple units is a PITA.
I do think it's less than a PITA than managing all recordings from a single unit.
I didn't realize how much of a pain managing all the SPs and recordings would be from a single box. WHich is why profiles would have been perfect. As it is, after just a couple of days I have to wade through a bunch of recordings to find what I need. It's much worse after a week.

Which I why I would love to have profiles. I would have one for my GFs stuff. I would have one for news, one for movies, one for reality shows, one for regular shows etc. Then I could find anything I want in just a few seconds. Which is not the case right now.

It was much easier when I had two TiVo Elites and split my shows up between the two. But I also don't want to pay for two cable cards, so I just have to suck it up and bear with it.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #59
Dan203
Super Moderator

We do have separate units for me and my wife. If I had to wade through all the crap she records I might be right there with you.

Profiles would be a very welcome addition in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 AM   #60
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
We do have separate units for me and my wife. If I had to wade through all the crap she records I might be right there with you.

Profiles would be a very welcome addition in my opinion.
Profiles is the key to reducing the number of Roamios in my home, without that as Dan said it would be a pain to have to wade through the crap the rest of the TiVos are recording being all on one Roamio.