TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.70 average.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 AM   #811
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntc View Post
These, among other problems (mini's dropping audio and video sporadically) have put a very sour taste in my mouth and my family is just plain fed up.

I really did want this to work, but I guess I'm just not that lucky.

Good luck to all of you!
If you bought directly from TiVo, they'll usually extend your return period an extra 30 days. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I bought from Bestbuy and their 15 day return period was approaching. I returned, then waited a few months and then bought direct from TiVo once a fix for my major issue was in the works (black screens). Give it some time for the CableCARD FW update to rollout and perhaps we'll see you again.

Best of luck
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:52 AM   #812
HarperVision

Quote:
.....My neighbor has a Ceton HTPC and has -my- cablecard in it (I have his at the moment) and I am getting v58's on his. He is tuned in to all six tuners on mine, and has had zero errors for the last two days, while I've had a large number of v58's on his card in my Tivo......
I've reported that exact thing for months now!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #813
jntc

Yep, all my tivo's are being returned tonight and service cancelled. I called Tivo today to try and extend my 30 day MBG and they said since I didn't buy them from them, they could not extend the MBG. I asked them if they would rather try to work through the issues for another thirty days, or lose all my money. They chose the latter. So, I doubt I'll be back, but who knows, I'll have to see who I dislike less in a couple of months, Comcast or Tivo.

Tried calling Tivo again - they agreed to extend my Money Back Guarantee another 30 days. I've just swapped another new cablecard, same firmware and all, and re-paired.

I spoke with another Tivo 'support' rep who advised me to try and put in another splitter between feed and Roamio and to put my tuner count back to 5 and to give this a shot.

We'll see what happens, I have until the 31st of Jan to return this stuff to Best Buy, so I'm going to be giving the corp cust svc office a call to see about firmware upgrades to the card. (The Comcast rep on the dedicated cablecard line said that there was a known issue with the 6 tuners, and that they were 'working' to get the new firmware out, but had no date)

'Eugene' from Comcast corp offices called me yesterday while I was out and left a message. I have a call back in to him, so we'll see what he says.

I can't believe that there are only a handful of us with these issues that appear to be rather consistent with each other and yet, there is no reason as to why. I've had my cable runs tested, and all are optimal with good compression fittings. My PHY RX and TX are in the 280's which is supposed to be darn good.

After putting in the new splitter a few moments ago, the SNR's dropped to around 35 and power to about 88% (from ~39 and ~97%) I don't understand why reducing the SNR would help, but at this point, I'll try anything. I've even danced around in circles chanting "Greetings to the Tivo Gods!" three times.

Last edited by jntc : 01-03-2014 at 03:43 PM.
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #814
jwbelcher

Quote:
Yep, all my tivo's are being returned tonight and service cancelled. I called Tivo today to try and extend my 30 day MBG and they said since I didn't buy them from them, they could not extend the MBG. I asked them if they would rather try to work through the issues for another thirty days, or lose all my money. They chose the latter. So, I doubt I'll be back, but who knows, I'll have to see who I dislike less in a couple of months, Comcast or Tivo.

Tried calling Tivo again - they agreed to extend my Money Back Guarantee another 30 days. I've just swapped another new cablecard, same firmware and all, and re-paired.

I spoke with another Tivo 'support' rep who advised me to try and put in another splitter between feed and Roamio and to put my tuner count back to 5 and to give this a shot.

We'll see what happens, I have until the 31st of Jan to return this stuff to Best Buy, so I'm going to be giving the corp cust svc office a call to see about firmware upgrades to the card. (The Comcast rep on the dedicated cablecard line said that there was a known issue with the 6 tuners, and that they were 'working' to get the new firmware out, but had no date)

'Eugene' from Comcast corp offices called me yesterday while I was out and left a message. I have a call back in to him, so we'll see what he says.

I can't believe that there are only a handful of us with these issues that appear to be rather consistent with each other and yet, there is no reason as to why. I've had my cable runs tested, and all are optimal with good compression fittings. My PHY RX and TX are in the 280's which is supposed to be darn good.

After putting in the new splitter a few moments ago, the SNR's dropped to around 35 and power to about 88% (from ~39 and ~97%) I don't understand why reducing the SNR would help, but at this point, I'll try anything. I've even danced around in circles chanting "Greetings to the Tivo Gods!" three times.
Got to love playing CSR roulette! Hopefully Comcast will have an update by then. There are several folks saying January / early 2014 for the Comcast. The only downside is you'll have to hear the agony from your fam for another 30!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #815
gsenia

Go to twitter and tweet @comcastcares and let them know you are having this issue with the Roamio 6 tuner. They will work with you to get the cablecard firmware upgraded.
gsenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #816
Ryan Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Nelson View Post
Charter still has not been able to get me a card with updated firmware. I keep calling, but no dice. Do we have any other option other than to just wait?
I finally got a cable card from Charter last week with firmware 1.5.2.3001.
Charter couldn't get my cablecard to update no matter what they did. Finally they took my card back to their central office, updated my firmware using another Roamio (their test unit) and then drove the card back to my house.

I consistently only had 4 tuners with 1.5.2.1401. With 1.5.2.3001 I have 6 reliable tuners, but the tuning speed is very very slow (like 5 seconds) and I occasionally have turned the TV on and had "This channel is temporarily unavailable. Press SELECT to try tuning to this channel again. Contact your cable provider for more information". When I press Select, the channel does indeed tune though. I need to check to see if I'm missing recordings due to tuning issues.

I was told any 1.5.3.xxxx was not authorized to use on Charter's system yet. They finally admitted that have two tuning adapters was bogus, and they removed one. I have checked and the firmware in the tuning adapter itself is higher than what Tivo recommends.

If anyone in Birmingham, Alabama is having issues with obtaining the updated firmware from Charter I can get you to the area supervisor who at least helped me - although very slowly and not very responsively.
Ryan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #817
jwbelcher

Quote:
... and I occasionally have turned the TV on and had "This channel is temporarily unavailable. Press SELECT to try tuning to this channel again. Contact your cable provider for more information". When I press Select, the channel does indeed tune though. I need to check to see if I'm missing recordings due to tuning issues.
I assume your using a Tuning Adapter. This error usually only occurs on SDV channels when a TA is used to tune a channel. This error will generally only occur after long periods of inactivity. Your Tivo does request the channel be tuned again to prevent a recording failure. Its expected behavior and should be a non-issue for you.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #818
jhnversion1

I currently have the 4 tuner roamio and have been V52/V53 errors on one specific tuner every time (Tuner 1). Has this been happening to anyone else? This error happens and then goes away eventually.

I just find it strange the error always occurs on Tuner 1. The other tuners are working just fine.
jhnversion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #819
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsenia View Post
Go to twitter and tweet @comcastcares and let them know you are having this issue with the Roamio 6 tuner. They will work with you to get the cablecard firmware upgraded.
Similarly, I sent an email to Comcastcares_support@comcast.com a couple of weeks ago explaining a problem I was having getting an issue resolved along with the name, address, and phone number on my account. Someone local from Comcast called me the next day and helped me get everything worked out. Highly recommended!
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #820
shrike4242

First off, I'm the St. Louis, MO area.

I've had nothing but issues with trying to get either of the two Motorola CableCards from my S3 that my Roamio Pro is replacing, as I spent two hours on the phone with multiple reps from Charter and none of them could get them to pair the card to my Tivo. I didn't even get to the point to trying the channels, as they could never pair the cards nor do any firmware upgrade on the cards.

The cards were running 2.65 firmware, which seems to be insufficient for supporting 6 tuners on my Roamio Pro, though trying to find a replacement card from Charter is looking like trying to find hens' teeth. I turned in those two cards on the thought that they weren't usable for my Roamio Pro.

I went to a local customer support office and they didn't have cable cards nor another location, as they checked via IM from a rep they knew in that other office. I think I may just go directly to call their local corporate office and see if I can find someone there that can address my concern and get me what I need.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #821
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnversion1 View Post
I currently have the 4 tuner roamio and have been V52/V53 errors on one specific tuner every time (Tuner 1). Has this been happening to anyone else? This error happens and then goes away eventually.

I just find it strange the error always occurs on Tuner 1. The other tuners are working just fine.
It sounds like a bad tuner - which has been reported by others. V52 / V53 are signal errors which maybe telling since its only on one tuner. If the same channel works on a different tuner, I'd suggest you exchange it.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #822
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
First off, I'm the St. Louis, MO area.

I've had nothing but issues with trying to get either of the two Motorola CableCards from my S3 that my Roamio Pro is replacing, as I spent two hours on the phone with multiple reps from Charter and none of them could get them to pair the card to my Tivo. I didn't even get to the point to trying the channels, as they could never pair the cards nor do any firmware upgrade on the cards.

The cards were running 2.65 firmware, which seems to be insufficient for supporting 6 tuners on my Roamio Pro, though trying to find a replacement card from Charter is looking like trying to find hens' teeth. I turned in those two cards on the thought that they weren't usable for my Roamio Pro.

I went to a local customer support office and they didn't have cable cards nor another location, as they checked via IM from a rep they knew in that other office. I think I may just go directly to call their local corporate office and see if I can find someone there that can address my concern and get me what I need.
After a long phone call to corporate customer care and then a transfer to corporate repair, I have an on-site set up for a lead tech who is supposed to be bringing 5+ cable cards with them at at least one tuning adapter. Hopefully next week when they show up, this issue with my Roamio can be put to bed.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #823
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
Similarly, I sent an email to Comcastcares_support@comcast.com a couple of weeks ago explaining a problem I was having getting an issue resolved along with the name, address, and phone number on my account. Someone local from Comcast called me the next day and helped me get everything worked out. Highly recommended!
What exactly did they do? Update firmware via cable, or did you need a new physical card? What firmware did they give you?
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #824
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
What exactly did they do? Update firmware via cable, or did you need a new physical card? What firmware did they give you?
In my case it wasn't a cable card issue. I was having trouble dealing with the overseas CSRs not giving me the tv/internet combo I wanted after multiple attempts. After I sent the email a local dude (and native English speaker) from Comcast called me the next day and got everything straightened out at a promo price for 12 months and threw in HBO to boot.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #825
gsenia

They can push the firmware update from the headend and only to specific cable cards. Definitely tweet comcast or email them the issue about not being able to tune tuners 5 and 6 specifically if X1 platform is in your area as that supports 6 tuners in most cases.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #826
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsenia View Post
They can push the firmware update from the headend and only to specific cable cards. Definitely tweet comcast or email them the issue about not being able to tune tuners 5 and 6 specifically if X1 platform is in your area as that supports 6 tuners in most cases.
I've tried many many folks throughout Comcast, and they refuse to push firmware update to a specific card. See one of my posts here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...1/td-p/1967519

I've even had someone call me from the corporate support office who has said NO way.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #827
gsenia

I would push getting a discussion with Comcast Executive Support to find out what the specific issue is in your division or region. If they do not know what it is I would push them to find out what it is. Also I would push they need to support you specifically if they have X1 in the region supporting 6 tuners as they have to offer and support the same with Tivo. Also you may want to raise this with your department of public utility and or cable advisory council in your area.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #828
Ryan Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I assume your using a Tuning Adapter. This error usually only occurs on SDV channels when a TA is used to tune a channel. This error will generally only occur after long periods of inactivity. Your Tivo does request the channel be tuned again to prevent a recording failure. Its expected behavior and should be a non-issue for you.
Good info. I tested for several hours last night. I'm definitely getting all 6 tuners to work and have no errors. Yeah! So the firmware update on Charter to 1.5.2_F.3001 definitely got my box working correctly. It only took several months for Charter to get me the firmware.
Ryan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #829
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Good info. I tested for several hours last night. I'm definitely getting all 6 tuners to work and have no errors. Yeah! So the firmware update on Charter to 1.5.2_F.3001 definitely got my box working correctly. It only took several months for Charter to get me the firmware.
Keep us posted how things are working after several days!

1.5.2_F.3001 does not have a "Clean Bill of Health" with other 6-tuner users in this thread, but problems seem to vary quite a bit here depending on what cable company you are with.

I'm with Charter in Southern California and am running 1.5.2_F.2401 successfully but with only 5 tuners active on my Roamio Pro. I also have a basic Roamio 4-tuner that has 1.5.2_F.1601 that works with no problems at all. Seems like Charter has some ongoing problems with updating the firmware over the cable... I'm not sure what they consider to be their "Current" firmware release???
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #830
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
Keep us posted how things are working after several days!

1.5.2_F.3001 does not have a "Clean Bill of Health" with other 6-tuner users in this thread, but problems seem to vary quite a bit here depending on what cable company you are with.

I'm with Charter in Southern California and am running 1.5.2_F.2401 successfully but with only 5 tuners active on my Roamio Pro. I also have a basic Roamio 4-tuner that has 1.5.2_F.1601 that works with no problems at all. Seems like Charter has some ongoing problems with updating the firmware over the cable... I'm not sure what they consider to be their "Current" firmware release???
They tried doing a firmware upgrade to the Motorola cards I had in my S3 that were being migrated to my Roamio Pro and they couldn't get them to pair nor could they get the firmware to upgrade.

They're supposed to be out on Tuesday with multiple CableCards and at least an additional tuning adapter to try and get my issues resolved with card pairing. I can only hope they bring the right card with the right firmware.

EDIT: One thing I ran across in setting up a replacement Roamio Pro is that the Tivo made note that the tuning adapter doesn't support 6 tuners. It's a Motorola MTR700 running firmware 1.37, which people around here have said should work for 6-tuner operation. Has anyone encountered such an issue in trying to get 6 tuners up and running?

Last edited by shrike4242 : 01-10-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #831
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Did you have both V58 and the black-screen issue? I'm still on 20.3.7 + PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601 -- along with a recent Cisco TA firmware that the cableco pushed out to address the black-screen issue.

I'm getting V58 after few hours, but no longer have tuning failures. The V58 lasts for about 10 secs and repeats approx every 55 mins. Also, oddly enough, when I get the V58 message, video freezes, but audio is not affected.

Curious if anyone else had the similar symptoms with PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601.
I just discovered the V58 error I've experienced on Roamio actually occurs on all my DVRs :: Roamio, TivoHD and the cable company's SA8300HDC.

Tonight I set all three DVRs to the same channel where I've experienced V58 and tonight saw them freeze simultaneously. My issue seems to have nothing to do with Roamio or the CableCARD being able to tune 6 channels.

I'm going to open a ticket with my cable company.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #832
kealoha311

Just started getting these V58/V53 errors on Friday. The Plus I have has been working fine with a Moto 6.25FW cable card from Frontier FiOS since I got it in back in August. It seems to cause all the tuners to go black before either the V58 or V53 error comes up. I need to do more experiments to see what triggers it, but so far it seems to be when shows are recorded on Syfy. I guess the first this to try is to drop down to 6 tuners. I just wanted to post what is going on, since it sounds like the Moto with 6.25 is supposed to be one of the trouble free configurations, and it was working great for over 6 months.
kealoha311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #833
shrike4242

My service appointment went a little less smooth than expected, as the tech was late and didn't come out with multiple cards, only a single card.

The FW on the card appears to be less than 6.25, though I have six premium channels including SyFy all recording at the moment without any apparent issue.

However, the downside is that the Charter rep is tossing Motorola under the bus because they don't have the ability to firmware upgrade the CableCards nor have CableCars with FW at 6.25.

I'll need to keep an eye on the situation since the FW isn't up to spec, though it is tuning on all six tuners at the moment and recording on all six without any apparent issue.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #834
Keen

I bought a Roamio Pro 2 weeks ago, and had things working great. Until I noticed that some recordings weren't being recorded. I noticed this when Helix failed to record and I was sitting down to watch that right as it aired. I eventually did some experimentation and found that 4 tuners work on my Tivo.

I'm on Comcast in the Minneapolis, MN area, with an SA card. I tried calling their CableCard phone line, but I could barely understand the CSR and they clearly didn't understand what I meant by 'CableCard firmware'. Do I just tweet @Comcast Cares to get some resolution?
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #835
Keen

Tweeting got me in touch with Comcast's Executive Customer Relations. I spoke to one of them on the phone earlier and explained that I need a firmware update for my CableCard so it'll let me use all 6 tuners on my new Tivo.

They called back half an hour later asking that I call Tivo. I explain that I already did and the issue is not a Tivo firmware issue, it's a firmware for the Comcast-provided CableCard. They're waiting to hear back from one of their internal resources.

Wheeeee.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #836
Keen

Nice, they called back again to inform me that one of their technical people responded. My CableCard's firmware update started 9 minutes prior, and would be done in 5 minutes. I thank them profusely for taking care of it. I check my Tivo, and see the new firmware is on my CableCard. And now I can tune 6 channels at once. Woo!

For other Comcast people who have this issue, tweeting @ComcastCares worked for me. They connected me to Comcast's Executive Customer Relations. Their number is 888-966-7794. From the automated message on that line, it sounds like anyone here should be able to call them and leave a message, but I don't know for certain if that'll get you help. I leave that here in hopes it's helpful for others.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #837
tedede

Do you have a contact or a case number we can reference? All of my calls to Comcast have been futile.
tedede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #838
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedede View Post
Do you have a contact or a case number we can reference? All of my calls to Comcast have been futile.
Same here. They told me they could NOT upgrade a single cards firmware. That it is region specific.

This was from the executive support office as well.

What firmware did they upgrade you to?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #839
PaperFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen View Post
Nice, they called back again to inform me that one of their technical people responded. My CableCard's firmware update started 9 minutes prior, and would be done in 5 minutes. I thank them profusely for taking care of it. I check my Tivo, and see the new firmware is on my CableCard. And now I can tune 6 channels at once. Woo!

For other Comcast people who have this issue, tweeting @ComcastCares worked for me. They connected me to Comcast's Executive Customer Relations. Their number is 888-966-7794. From the automated message on that line, it sounds like anyone here should be able to call them and leave a message, but I don't know for certain if that'll get you help. I leave that here in hopes it's helpful for others.
Which software version did you get?
PaperFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #840
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedede View Post
I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can get something.
Quote:
What firmware did they upgrade you to?
I went from PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1401 to PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101