Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
rick s

Premier to S-Video on old TV

Hi Everyone,

I've upgraded from an HD to a Premier.

My TV is an old Sony CRT TV. It's input options are Coax, R/W/Y RCA's, or S-Video. I had my HD connected via the S-Video and the R/W Audio RCA's.

The Premier doesn't have an S-Video output. And I'd rather not have to go back to the single yellow video cable.

Is their a cable that will allow me to go from the Component outputs on the Premier to the S-Video and R/W Audio RCA's on my TV?

If so, I assume that would be better than the single yellow video cable?

Thanks for your help.
Rick
rick s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

The yellow cable should be fine. S-Video is the same signal it just transmits the chroma and luma on separate pins, where as the yellow RCA cable combines them and your TV uses an internal comb filter to separate them. The Sony CRTs had very good comb filters so it's unlikely you'll notice a big difference using the yellow RCA cable.

There are devices that can convert but they'll likely produce worse quality then you'd get from just using the yellow RCA cable.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
rick s

Thanks Dan.
rick s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
S-Video is the same signal it just transmits the chroma and luma on separate pins, where as the yellow RCA cable combines them and your TV uses an internal comb filter to separate them.
There's a HUGE visual difference between s-video and composite. I have yet to see a display for which that's not true (at least not one where s-video was the "highest" input).

That said, I don't think I'd invest in a component-to-s-video adapter. Put that money towards a new TV that can actually do HD, instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

We had a Sony trinitron a few years ago and I did a comparison and the S-Video was only marginally better then composite on that TV. For video is was almost indistinguishable. But you could see an improvement in the menus when looking at the text.

My biggest point however was that any sort of converter will probably introduce more signal loss then just using composite in the first place. Those converters, especially the affordable ones, are usually pretty bad. You can probably get something high end that would look a little better, but like you said the money is better spent on a new TV instead.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick s View Post
Hi Everyone,

My TV is an old Sony CRT TV. It's input options are Coax, R/W/Y RCA's, or S-Video. I had my HD connected via the S-Video and the R/W Audio RCA's.

The Premier doesn't have an S-Video output. And I'd rather not have to go back to the single yellow video cable.

Is their a cable that will allow me to go from the Component outputs on the Premier to the S-Video and R/W Audio RCA's on my TV?

Thanks for your help.
Rick
I am sure you know this, but you really should get a new TV. Worrying about s-video versus composite is silly compared to sd versus HD. The sets are so cheap these days.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I am sure you know this, but you really should get a new TV.
The sets are so cheap these days.
+ 1.
A new set is the way to go....
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick s View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help.
Rick
I originally had a Tivo Series 2, which I used the S-video outputs to connect to an above-average 27" CRT TV. There was a noticeable difference between the S-video port and the yellow RCA composite port, with the RCA being not as clear/blurry and also a bit noisy.

When I switched to my current dual-tuner Premier, the first thing I noticed was that they did away with the S-video, perhaps to make room for the then-newer DV ports. So I held my nose and connected the yellow RCA cable again. To my surprise, the composite picture was actually improved to the point where it was closer in quality to the S-video picture on the Series 2. Just my experience.

In my case, it wasn't about my love for using S-video, it was that their "composite" electronics on the Series 2 were not right. Actually I had never used S-video for my setup before I got a Series 2. For me, using S-video was just a work-around. But IMO that was improved upon in the Premier. So I have used it with a yellow RCA ever since.

Last edited by christheman : 01-13-2014 at 01:54 PM.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
We had a Sony trinitron a few years ago and I did a comparison and the S-Video was only marginally better then composite on that TV. For video is was almost indistinguishable. But you could see an improvement in the menus when looking at the text.

My biggest point however was that any sort of converter will probably introduce more signal loss then just using composite in the first place. Those converters, especially the affordable ones, are usually pretty bad. You can probably get something high end that would look a little better, but like you said the money is better spent on a new TV instead.
Same exact thing here. A JVC 27" for me. Only difference I could tell was in the menus, which show a tiny bit of noise here and there.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #10
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I am sure you know this, but you really should get a new TV. Worrying about s-video versus composite is silly compared to sd versus HD. The sets are so cheap these days.
Exactly. HD was standard by 2008, get with the program. Nothing these days supports S-Video.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote