TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Which route should I maybe lean towward with this S3?
As before, TRY to trade it in (& get lifetime transferred for free) for a 2-tuner Premiere (for $79) 1 12.50%
use parts from other Series 3 to repair it & then sell it 1 12.50%
If its a hard drive failure, upgrade its drive with WinMFS and keep it. 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Cool I think its the hard drive

I have a lifetime series 3 (TCD652160) that seems to be giving me problems and is in a reboot loop. It basically gets past the "Welcome, Powering Up" screen and proceeds to the "Almost there...". I then reboots.

From reading these forums, this seems like an indication that there is a problem with its hard drive, correct? I will open it up and take a look at the power supply as well, but I actually also have another identical series 3 that is fully working, but not subscribed to and could cannibalize/use it for parts (hard drive or power supply).

Seeing as a lot of S3s are dying though, I am debating several options (in poll).

Last edited by buscuitboy : 01-13-2014 at 09:55 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

I think that most folks are thinking S3 PSs has become the leading contender for reboot loops. I would exchange that with the donor box as a fist step.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Seeing as a lot of S3s are dying though, I am debating several options
Other than easily fixable power supplies and hard drives, I don't agree that a lot of S3s are dying.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
I have a lifetime series 3 (TCD652160) that seems to be giving me problems and is in a reboot loop. It basically gets past the "Welcome, Powering Up" screen and proceeds to the "Almost there...". I then reboots.

From reading these forums, this seems like an indication that there is a problem with its hard drive, correct? I will open it up and take a look at the power supply as well, but I actually also have another identical series 3 that is fully working, but not subscribed to and could cannibalize/use it for parts (hard drive or power supply).

Seeing as a lot of S3s are dying though, I am debating several options (in poll).
Do you have a spare (at least temporarily) SATA drive that's at least 160GB?

Put a fresh image on it and see what happens.

If it gets to the second screen I'd say it's not so much the hard drive as the software on the hard drive.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do you have a spare (at least temporarily) SATA drive that's at least 160GB?

Put a fresh image on it and see what happens.

If it gets to the second screen I'd say it's not so much the hard drive as the software on the hard drive.
I actually have a totally spare 160GB from another identical S3 and was gonna swap it. See what happens and go from there. Even if this is the problem and another drive would fix it, I am wondering if I should even mess with it though as the power supplies in these units seem to be dying as well and it would just be a matter of time before that becomes a problem too.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

Well, since you have one S3 that has a good drive/PS combination, I think the easiest/safest thing to do would be to test the lifetime drive by putting it into the unit with the good PS (instead of taking a good drive an potentially pairing it with a bad PS).

If it boots up fine, then you know its the PS (in the lifetime box). If it does not boot up, you know the drive is an issue.

Reduces the risk of a PS causing a drive problem...

Last edited by jrtroo : 01-13-2014 at 01:10 PM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
Teeps

Quote:
I am wondering if I should even mess with it though as the power supplies in these units seem to be dying as well and it would just be a matter of time before that becomes a problem too.
Fix the power supply since the hood is already up.

12 bucks worth of capacitors and maybe another 15 for soldering supplies and the PS is back in business.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Well, since you have one S3 that has a good drive/PS combination, I think the easiest/safest thing to do would be to test the lifetime drive by putting it into the unit with the good PS (instead of taking a good drive an potentially pairing it with a bad PS).

If it boots up fine, then you know its the PS (in the lifetime box). If it does not boot up, you know the drive is an issue.

Reduces the risk of a PS causing a drive problem...
I agree. Take the suspect hard drive from the LT Tivo and put it in the known working box.

I would hesitate exchanging the S3 for a Premiere, solely because of the underpowered CPU in the Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote