TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #61
NobleHeretic

Giving that a try today. Not holding out alot of hope as I think the Netflix issue is related and that does not seem to even try and fails immediately on launch.

By the way, I love KMTTG. Good job!
Roamio Plus (CableCard and Gigabit Ethernet)
NobleHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #62
CurtisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
NobleHeretic, did you look into uPNP setting on your router? As I posted above one user claimed it fixed his problem after enabling uPNP.
I verified that uPNP was already enabled on my router. Disabled or enabled, either configuration did not fix the issue

Last edited by CurtisG : 01-11-2014 at 02:55 PM.
CurtisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #63
moyekj

Oh well. A real head scratcher this one. Usually these head scratchers end up being some odd back end configuration issue with your account. That's the worse kind of problem as CSRs don't have any exposure to that and can't help you.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #64
NobleHeretic

Sooooo...todays activities.

- Tried playing with uPnP. Nothing seemed to make a difference
- Tried basically making my Verizon Router wide open all TCP/UDP ports any to any open. Yeah, didn't leave it that way for long but did force TiVO and Stream service connections
- Tried an earlier suggestion and changed the name of the Roamio at TiVo Account/Device preferences (also unchecked all the boxes) waited, forced TiVo connection and service call. Made sure that the TiVo name changed in system info and the TTG changed from a,a,a,a to i,i,i,a (not sure if this last a is telling) I am assuming since the 4th "a" is new to the Roamio systems (not on my HD's) that this related to the Stream being active or inactive. Anyone know? Could this be indicative of the Stream not getting its state toggled?

I think I am done. There were many restarts/reboots in all of this.

What I NEED is some knowledgable engineer at TiVo to give me a call...HINT, HINT!
Old 01-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #65
CurtisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleHeretic View Post

I think I am done. There were many restarts/reboots in all of this.

What I NEED is some knowledgable engineer at TiVo to give me a call...HINT, HINT!
Same here... Someone from Tivo with a clue..
Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #66
CurtisG

Alright - one last try before I bring it back to BB

On the phone, yet again, with TiVo support; trying to get this escalated.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #67
CurtisG

Question to others with these issues - do you have any Macs on your network? How about TimeCapsules?

My family has several Mac laptops and we have two TimeCapsules. Just wondering if any of the Mac protocols could be causing an issue (i.e. Bonjour)

Just a shot in the dark
Old 01-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #68
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisG View Post
Question to others with these issues - do you have any Macs on your network? How about TimeCapsules?

My family has several Mac laptops and we have two TimeCapsules. Just wondering if any of the Mac protocols could be causing an issue (i.e. Bonjour)

Just a shot in the dark
Figured I'd chime in as someone in the doesn't have issues camp.....I'm running everything through a 4th gen Airport Extreme and have a Mac Pro and Macbook Air on the network.....no issues.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #69
smbaker

Quote:
We do have one Mac. I have no idea if it has a TimeCapsule (I'd guess not).
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #70
CurtisG

Quote:
Alright - one last try before I bring it back to BB

On the phone, yet again, with TiVo support; trying to get this escalated.
Ok - just spent another hour with a TiVo support person. They were really trying to be helpful, but in the end were NOT able to resolve the issue.

When I told her I had a 'Service Level: A' on my iPad screen, she had me do a series of forced connections to TiVo service, and also had me reboot the Roamio.

In the end, she finally suggested that I return the box to Best Buy and get a new one.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #71
NobleHeretic

I am afraid I am going to have to do the same thing as my window for return is ending. The part that sucks is we have already taken advantage of the expanded recording space and I have to transfer all the things on it to somewhere else. Grrr.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #72
smbaker

Quote:
In the end, she finally suggested that I return the box to Best Buy and get a new one.
Well that's lame...

Did you ever hear back from anyone in the engineering department? or did you just go through the motions with support? As helpful as they can try to be, there's only so much that can be done without know what in the code casuses the status values to be printed.

At least it will be a useful data point to know if a replacement unit works for you.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #73
CurtisG

Quote:
I am afraid I am going to have to do the same thing as my window for return is ending. The part that sucks is we have already taken advantage of the expanded recording space and I have to transfer all the things on it to somewhere else. Grrr.
Is there a way of doing a bulk transfer of the recorded shows to another device?
Old 01-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #74
CurtisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Well that's lame...

Did you ever hear back from anyone in the engineering department? or did you just go through the motions with support? As helpful as they can try to be, there's only so much that can be done without know what in the code casuses the status values to be printed.

At least it will be a useful data point to know if a replacement unit works for you.
No - never heard back from anyone in the engineering department. I asked several times for this to be escalated, but that went nowhere.

Others on the forum have sent emails to TivoMargret but that channel has gone un-answered as well.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #75
smbaker

For what it's worth, I also own a standalone stream, which I've had unplugged ever since the Roamio arrived. Today, I plugged it back in.

1) The iPad APP is smart enough to recognize there are two streams and let me choose which one I want.

2) The standalone stream works fine, and streams content from the Roamio.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #76
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
For what it's worth, I also own a standalone stream, which I've had unplugged ever since the Roamio arrived. Today, I plugged it back in.

1) The iPad APP is smart enough to recognize there are two streams and let me choose which one I want.

2) The standalone stream works fine, and streams content from the Roamio.
That's a very interesting data point that eliminates any contention by TiVo that somehow your network setup is to blame. Since the Roamio Stream is same hardware and has same software as the standalone, this even more heavily suggests some kind of account back end configuration issue related to the Roamio. Replacing the Roamio could possibly fix the issue due to getting a renewed back end configuration to go along with new unit, but seems like overkill if that is indeed the only issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #77
JPnet

Quote:
No - never heard back from anyone in the engineering department. I asked several times for this to be escalated, but that went nowhere.

Others on the forum have sent emails to TivoMargret but that channel has gone un-answered as well.
Excellent way to frustrate your customers, Tivo. Over at ExplorerForum.com, they have a few dedicated Ford representatives that will field calls for problems like this. This works very well and the customer feels taken care of.

At this point, I would return before time runs out. Reactivate and see if it works. Nothing changed on my network and everything is working fine now.
JPnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #78
kbmb

Quote:
Is there a way of doing a bulk transfer of the recorded shows to another device?
If you have a computer I'd use kmttg:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/

-Kevin
Old 01-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #79
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That's a very interesting data point that eliminates any contention by TiVo that somehow your network setup is to blame.
Well, yes and no... I've had the standalone stream since the pre-sale contest, so I set it up a long time ago, and the software has probably changed a lot during that time. Given that the Roamio's stream is failing during the setup phase and the standalone stream is already set up, it's not a direct apples-to-apples comparison.

I tend to agree with you that it's probably an account database issue on Tivo's end, and we're all stuck in a holding pattern because apparently the proper procedure to escalate an issue to engineering doesn't exist (or isn't dealt with in a timely manner).

I would also suspect those who return their Roamios are 'sovling' the problem simply by virtue of getting a fresh new database record for a new TSN.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #80
NobleHeretic

I just used KMTTG to move all the files in the native TiVo format over to my NAS box. The NAS box has a DLNA server which makes moving things back a snap. The TiVo sees the server and everything comes back with all the metadata and all. GigE between the TiVo and the NAS means it did not take very long to move a hundred or so Gig of files. My Roamio is going back tomorrow. Now I am just fighting with moving the Season Passes as the TiVo site does not seem to see the 60 or so Season Passes on the Roamio (oh joy!) it did when I moved them from the HD Tivos to the Roamio.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #81
tatergator1

Kmttg will save season passes as well. I think it's on the "Remote" tab of the program.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #82
kbmb

Quote:
I just used KMTTG to move all the files in the native TiVo format over to my NAS box. The NAS box has a DLNA server which makes moving things back a snap. The TiVo sees the server and everything comes back with all the metadata and all. GigE between the TiVo and the NAS means it did not take very long to move a hundred or so Gig of files. My Roamio is going back tomorrow. Now I am just fighting with moving the Season Passes as the TiVo site does not seem to see the 60 or so Season Passes on the Roamio (oh joy!) it did when I moved them from the HD Tivos to the Roamio.
Just curious because I'm in the market for one....what's your NAS box?

And yes......kmttg will save and transfer back season passes.

-Kevin
Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #83
NobleHeretic

You guys are the BEST! I was stressing on the season pass thing.

I have a pretty old NAS it is an Infrant (now NetGear) ReadyNAS NV+. It is a full Raid (4 disk) box. It has a combined storage of about 1 TB with 4 x 320 Gb drives in it.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #84
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Must be Netgear Ready DLNA which includes TiVo ToGo under the hood. Most DLNA implementations out there do not support TiVo ToGo. You chose well.
CuriousMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #85
pwlcheng

Quote:
I just used KMTTG to move all the files in the native TiVo format over to my NAS box. The NAS box has a DLNA server which makes moving things back a snap. The TiVo sees the server and everything comes back with all the metadata and all.
Does it keep the Closed Caption after you move back to TiVo? I used ReadyTiVo and I don't have CC anymore after move out and back in TiVo.
pwlcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #86
NobleHeretic

Not sure about the CC, but as far as I know it is just moving the original .tivo file out and back, no decrypting, decoding or re-encoding. So I would think yes. I will test it when I move something back later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #87
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlcheng View Post
Does it keep the Closed Caption after you move back to TiVo? I used ReadyTiVo and I don't have CC anymore after move out and back in TiVo.
That problem is a TiVo bug with series 4 and later units. The captions are present in the stream following TTG transfer. The problem is for series 4 and later units if you transfer back in mpeg2 program stream container then TiVo wipes out the captions. You have to transfer back in mpeg2 transport stream container to preserve captions. pyTivo has a "ts=on" property you can enable to make sure when you transfer back that it remuxes to transport stream container when necessary.

In general if the goal is just to move everything back to TiVo and you want to preserve captions, you should download in TS container mode (TiVo Desktop and kmttg have options to turn that mode on/off). But even if you haven't done that, you can force it to transfer back and preserve captions using recent pyTivo with the above setting on.

Anyway, I think this discussion is getting way too far off topic for this thread.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #88
NobleHeretic

UPDATE:

Well, I got a new Roamio Plus today at Best Buy and brought it home and set it up and BAM everything works. Here is my process:

- Picked a new one that had a substantially different TSN (just in case)
- Called TiVo and gave them the new TSN and told them it was an exchange for the old one
- Checked the TiVo site to be sure the new TSN was in my account
- Attached the cable, network and HDMI first, then power (no CableCard installed)
- Powered up the Tivo
- Took it through guided set-up and said I will install CableCard later
- Waited for it to do all updates and boot into operational status
- Slide in the CableCard and went online to Verizon Live Chat and gave them the CableCard ID, Host and Data information
- Informed them they needed to do "Manually Validate Set Top Box" (all info was right in conditional access - ask me if you need more info on this)
- Tested all the channels including HBO and Cinemax, which were an issue on the activation of the first Roamio
- Went into the Netflix app which fired right up and entered my Netflix info, all good!
- Used KMTTG to move my season passes back to the new Roamio from my previous save, all good!
- Fired up my TiVo app on my iPhone, checked the box for in-house and out of house and it ran the set-up without error!!!! OMG!!!!
- Tested in-house, will have to wait for OOH until tomorrow, all good!!!!
- Forced a connection to TiVo service to get the guide info it did not seem to quite have until the CableCard was fully and properly paired
- Used my ReadyNAS DLNA with TTG support to move all my .tivo files back to the Roamio. Ok, it is still doing that at the moment, but progressing nicely.

Pretty psyched at this point!

No idea why it works now, but I can tell you for sure it has NOTHING to do with network configuration as I put my network back exactly the way it was before I started all this. It is either a hardware or an activation issue.

Thanks to everyone for their help through this very trying time.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #89
CurtisG

Thanks NobleHeritic

You have confirmed, for me at least, that this is a hardware problem.
Your TSN is pretty close to mine, so am going to assume it's a defective batch

Just need to get a chance to return my Plus to the local BestBuy
2 x TiVo Premiere
1 x TiVo HD XL
1 x TiVo Series 2
Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #90
kbmb

Quote:
- Tested in-house, will have to wait for OOH until tomorrow, all good!!!!
Unacceptable! You should be going to the nearest McD's or Starbucks to test RIGHT NOW!

Congrats! What a PITA!

Hopefully Margret sees all you went through and looks into what happened. Still seems like a backend issue.

-Kevin