TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 AM   #1681
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd View Post
I apologize, the drive in there was only 160GB and no adapter just stock PATA. As mentioned earlier, I have 4 TiVo's in my home all that I have upgraded over time and I thought they all had 1TB drives. I was mistaken, this one only had 160GB. So I guess the good news is that I should be able to try a ddrescue from the failing 160GB to my working 320GB? You mention dd_rescue or ddrescue. Which should I use and do you have any advice on options (I have not used these before)? Thank you again for all your help with this.
When you said

"The only way I could get WinMFS to be able to select the drive again was to create a Windows partition on it."

You're talking about putting a Windows partition on the 320GB drive, correct?

And not the original 160GB drive?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 AM   #1682
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When you said

"The only way I could get WinMFS to be able to select the drive again was to create a Windows partition on it."

NOT the original 160Gb drive, don't do anything to that drive, for WinMFS to see a drive it must be blank or have Lunix on it, it will not see a Windows drive unless you check a box on the program, that a safety feature so you will not overwrite your boot or data windows drives.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #1683
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra299 View Post
I also need the TCD746320 image as my original drive will not spin up. Looks like ggieseke has kindly provided a link to numerous people. Could someone send it to me? Thanks!
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #1684
wbd

Quote:
When you said

Correct, the original drive has NOT been touched. In fact I can still install it in the TiVo and get it to run sometimes. But just for a short time before it crashes/hangs.

With WinMFS, after the restore failed WinMFS would crash every time I tried to select that target drive again. So to get around that I was making the "target" drive a windows drive and checking the box to show mounted drives. I suppose I could have also booted to Linux and formatted it that way. But regardless, since that day I have not been using WinMFS. I have been sticking with MFSLive and that is what I used to fully test the target drives, zero them out and do the backup and restore (to/from file).

I can try the ddrescue as you recommended and see if that works. Are there other known places to search for a TCD130040 image? I am not trying to be cheap, but didn't want to spend money on a commercial product when 1) this TiVo is reaching 12 years old; and 2) I am not 100% sure the replacement drive will fix the issue. I was "assuming" the crashes/hangs were the drive. And now that it appears I can't get a valid backup from the drive it seems even more reasonable it is the drive causing all the issues. But I am still hesitant to get in to a situation where I am in an endless loop of throwing good money at a 12 year old machine. I guess at this point it is more about the challenge.

Thank you again!
wbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #1685
unitron

Quote:
Correct, the original drive has NOT been touched. In fact I can still install it in the TiVo and get it to run sometimes. But just for a short time before it crashes/hangs.

With WinMFS, after the restore failed WinMFS would crash every time I tried to select that target drive again. So to get around that I was making the "target" drive a windows drive and checking the box to show mounted drives. I suppose I could have also booted to Linux and formatted it that way. But regardless, since that day I have not been using WinMFS. I have been sticking with MFSLive and that is what I used to fully test the target drives, zero them out and do the backup and restore (to/from file).

I can try the ddrescue as you recommended and see if that works. Are there other known places to search for a TCD130040 image? I am not trying to be cheap, but didn't want to spend money on a commercial product when 1) this TiVo is reaching 12 years old; and 2) I am not 100% sure the replacement drive will fix the issue. I was "assuming" the crashes/hangs were the drive. And now that it appears I can't get a valid backup from the drive it seems even more reasonable it is the drive causing all the issues. But I am still hesitant to get in to a situation where I am in an endless loop of throwing good money at a 12 year old machine. I guess at this point it is more about the challenge.

Thank you again!
Tell me about the PC on which you would do the work.

Does it have a drive from which it boots, and is this a PATA or SATA drive?

What about a cd or dvd drive?

PATA or SATA?

If PATA, is the boot drive the Primary Master and the optical the Primary Slave?

Do you have a Secondary IDE controller on the motherboard?

Or are you hooking up the TiVo drives via USB adapter, or what?

I'm trying to figure out which drive will be

/dev/what

before giving you command line strings.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #1686
rjatwater

I'm looking for a DvrBARS compatible image for my Premiere XL - TCD748000.

I tried to make a truncated back up of my 1T failing disk using DvrBARS and after about 10 hours ended up with a huge 94 GB file that DvrBARS wouldn't write back to the replacement disk.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated -

Jack
rjatwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #1687
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjatwater View Post
I'm looking for a DvrBARS compatible image for my Premiere XL - TCD748000.

I tried to make a truncated back up of my 1T failing disk using DvrBARS and after about 10 hours ended up with a huge 94 GB file that DvrBARS wouldn't write back to the replacement disk.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated -

Jack
PM sent.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #1688
sierra299

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.
ggieseke, you are awesome! DVRBars worked the first time and I didn't even need to re-pair my cable card. How can I donate?
sierra299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #1689
wbd

Quote:
Tell me about the PC on which you would do the work.

Does it have a drive from which it boots, and is this a PATA or SATA drive?

What about a cd or dvd drive?

PATA or SATA?

If PATA, is the boot drive the Primary Master and the optical the Primary Slave?

Do you have a Secondary IDE controller on the motherboard?

Or are you hooking up the TiVo drives via USB adapter, or what?

I'm trying to figure out which drive will be

/dev/what

before giving you command line strings.
It is an old Pentium that I have hanging around just for things like this. It is PATA with HDs on the primary master/slave and DVDs on the secondary master/slave.

Here is my most recent experience. I left the DVDs on the secondary to boot to the MFSLive CD. I place my failing TiVo drive (Samsung 160GB) on primary master and the new drive (WD 320GB) on primary slave.

Next I ran the following command:

dd_rescue -A -v /dev/hda /dev/hdb

It ran for quite some time and completed but with an error as follows:

problems at ipos 156290880.0k

When I place the new drive in the TiVo it just blue screens. When I place the original drive back in the TiVo I at least get the powering up message but of course it just hangs there forever with Receiving light yellow and the recording light red. So I guess the dd_rescue was not successful. I feel like I just keep coming back to needing to somehow find a good image for a TCD130040. Open to any other ideas and again thank you for all your generous help!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #1690
unitron

Quote:
It is an old Pentium that I have hanging around just for things like this. It is PATA with HDs on the primary master/slave and DVDs on the secondary master/slave.

Here is my most recent experience. I left the DVDs on the secondary to boot to the MFSLive CD. I place my failing TiVo drive (Samsung 160GB) on primary master and the new drive (WD 320GB) on primary slave.

Next I ran the following command:

dd_rescue -A -v /dev/hda /dev/hdb

It ran for quite some time and completed but with an error as follows:

problems at ipos 156290880.0k

When I place the new drive in the TiVo it just blue screens. When I place the original drive back in the TiVo I at least get the powering up message but of course it just hangs there forever with Receiving light yellow and the recording light red. So I guess the dd_rescue was not successful. I feel like I just keep coming back to needing to somehow find a good image for a TCD130040. Open to any other ideas and again thank you for all your generous help!

I was going to suggest extreme measures to keep the source drive cool and a set of

dd_rescue

or

ddrescue

options that would have whichever of them working with very small chunks of data at a time

Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #1691
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra299 View Post
ggieseke, you are awesome! DVRBars worked the first time and I didn't even need to re-pair my cable card. How can I donate?
In the System Information screen there's a donate option. Glad it worked.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #1692
GGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangreen View Post
Also looking for a series 2 TiVo backup image. Model TCD130040. It is a nice venerable 11 years old at this point. My lifetime subscription has served me well.

This TiVo was behaving strangely with random crashes or freezes, and so I ordered a new drive. When it got here my existing drive wouldn't spin up so I couldn't pull a backup from it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Here's a link to an image for a TCD230040. As mentioned above, I have heard its compatible with the TCD130040.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o02skj7o1rvljgj/OnjDHRagFL

Gary
GGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #1693
wbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGray View Post
Here's a link to an image for a TCD230040. As mentioned above, I have heard its compatible with the TCD130040.

Gary
Thanks Gary! Just downloaded and will try tonight.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #1694
wbd

Quote:

Gary
That did it Gary. Thank you very much!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 AM   #1695
unitron

Quote:

Gary
You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #1696
dulinth

If anyone has one, I need an image for a TCD652160 as the drive fully died. Thank you.
dulinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #1697
dmitri

Hi,
Looking for an image for TCD748000.

My dd_rescure process has been working for 3 days now and I am not confident that it will succeed.
dmitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #1698
jmbach

If anybody has a 11.0m TCD658000 image I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #1699
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Hi,
Looking for an image for TCD748000.

My dd_rescure process has been working for 3 days now and I am not confident that it will succeed.
PM sent.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #1700
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulinth View Post
If anyone has one, I need an image for a TCD652160 as the drive fully died. Thank you.
Have you tried searching this thread?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #1701
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
If anybody has a 11.0m TCD658000 image I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I have an older 658 image (not sure which version) which you could restore without expanding and wait for TiVo to send down the update, and then go back to WinMFS and run

mfsadd

Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #1702
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulinth View Post
As punishment for not searching, you have to do the research to figure out which program to use for which of these:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/652_gset.bak

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/652_gset.tbk

What size drive are you restoring to?

What brand and model number?

Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #1703
jmbach

Quote:
I have an older 658 image (not sure which version) which you could restore without expanding and wait for TiVo to send down the update, and then go back to WinMFS and run

mfsadd
I have the 11.0k version. I am actually using the 658 image on my 648 and testing it. The only function so far that does not work is the software upgrade. When I run that it errors out. I am using it to see if I can get it to expand to 3TB. Since the 648 image is running a 32bit MFS, you can't expand it past 2TB. The 65x series use a 64bit MFS which can go beyond 2TB. I have tried a 3TB drive with the 658 image expanded and the kernel from 648. It boots up completely for a few seconds and reboots. Wanted to see if the 11.0m version does any better. If it doesn't, then it might require a 65x unit to test which I don't have and someone else will have to see if they can expand to 3TB.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #1704
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I have the 11.0k version. I am actually using the 658 image on my 648 and testing it. The only function so far that does not work is the software upgrade. When I run that it errors out. I am using it to see if I can get it to expand to 3TB. Since the 648 image is running a 32bit MFS, you can't expand it past 2TB. The 65x series use a 64bit MFS which can go beyond 2TB. I have tried a 3TB drive with the 658 image expanded and the kernel from 648. It boots up completely for a few seconds and reboots. Wanted to see if the 11.0m version does any better. If it doesn't, then it might require a 65x unit to test which I don't have and someone else will have to see if they can expand to 3TB.
Okay, then while you're at it how about fix the 648s so they can use just one M card for both tuners and handle mp4 as well.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #1705
kidd777

Broken down Phillips S1 need help

Hello. I've been looking for an answer to this for a little while now and I seem to be a couple years late to the party. I have a Phillips Series 1 HDR212 that is stuck on the boot screen. Everything I've read points to the box not seeing the hard drives. I want to replace the drives but I can't find an image for a series 1. I saw that there was a product called Instantcake that would image a new drive for you but it looks like that site has been gone for a couple years. Can anyone point me toward an image for my Tivo and some instructions on getting it on to a new drive? Thank you.
kidd777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #1706
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd777 View Post
Hello. I've been looking for an answer to this for a little while now and I seem to be a couple years late to the party. I have a Phillips Series 1 HDR212 that is stuck on the boot screen. Everything I've read points to the box not seeing the hard drives. I want to replace the drives but I can't find an image for a series 1. I saw that there was a product called Instantcake that would image a new drive for you but it looks like that site has been gone for a couple years. Can anyone point me toward an image for my Tivo and some instructions on getting it on to a new drive? Thank you.
What kind of money are you willing to put into this venture?

Do you already have the drive you intend to use as a replacement?

Do you have a PC with IDE ports?

Do you know how to burn a cd-r "as an image"?

Do you have a #10 and perhaps a #15 Torx driver?

I'm not certain of the current status of InstantCake.

It was a product of PVRupgrade, later DVRupgrade, which was a sponsor here.

I think that company got bought up or absorbed by current sponsor weaKnees.

I don't know if they offer it or just pre-imaged drives.

However, it is possible to get an image file from a fellow TiVo owner and install it to a hard drive using free software.

We can help you out if you're willing to be guided by us.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #1707
lpwcomp

Quote:

Gary
Quote:
That did it Gary. Thank you very much!
This fully works, including the front panel controls?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #1708
kidd777

Quote:
What kind of money are you willing to put into this venture?

Do you already have the drive you intend to use as a replacement?

Do you have a PC with IDE ports?

Do you know how to burn a cd-r "as an image"?

Do you have a #10 and perhaps a #15 Torx driver?

I'm not certain of the current status of InstantCake.

It was a product of PVRupgrade, later DVRupgrade, which was a sponsor here.

I think that company got bought up or absorbed by current sponsor weaKnees.

I don't know if they offer it or just pre-imaged drives.

However, it is possible to get an image file from a fellow TiVo owner and install it to a hard drive using free software.

We can help you out if you're willing to be guided by us.
I have a drive already (200GB.) I have I PC with IDE and cables. I have the screw drivers and have already opened the tivo to check that the current drives are spinning (they are.)

I would love to be guided to try and resurrect my Tivo to keep using my lifetime subscription.

Thank you in advance.
kidd777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #1709
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd777 View Post
I have a drive already (200GB.) I have I PC with IDE and cables. I have the screw drivers and have already opened the tivo to check that the current drives are spinning (they are.)

I would love to be guided to try and resurrect my Tivo to keep using my lifetime subscription.

Thank you in advance.
Are you already running a version of Windows on that particular PC?

Do you have any experience with a command line interface, like Linux or the old "nothing but letters on the screen" DOS?

(trying to figure out the easiest way for you, which will determine the version of the S1 Philips image to which I point you)

Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #1710
Dan203
Super Moderator

So I finally got around to replacing the drive in my Sister's S2 unit, but it didn't work. Not sure if I screwed something up or if maybe it's a power supply issue and not the drive. She told me it was locking up and needing to be rebooted all the time. I assumed it was the drive. I never even tested the TiVo myself. I popped out the drive installed it in an external enclosure I had and connected it to a PC. It was loud, but seemed to work. I used WinMFS to create a backup and then popped a drive out of an old S2DT unit and restored to that. Seemed to go fine but when I put it into the TiVo I get nothing. I get that generic gray "powering up" screen but the drive never seems to be booted. The lights on the front are all lit and never go off. I thought maybe the external enclosure caused some sort of problem so dug up an old PC with PATA ports and plugged both drives into that. I ran WinMFS again and this time did a copy from the old drive to the new one. When that was finally done I put the drive in the TiVo and still nothing. I put the original drive in the TiVo and nothing from that either.

So I'm thinking it might be a power supply issue. What do you guys think? I don't have another compatible power supply. Do you guys think it's worth buying one just to try and resurrect this?

My biggest concern is this is a lifetime unit which is the anchor for 3 other HD units with $6.95/mo MSD. If it doesn't make a call will they eventually lose their MSD pricing?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote