TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
efilippi

Wow, quite a night for new shows

I see that tonight is the beginning for Shameless, Girls, Episodes, and True Detective. Lots of good stuff!
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
sharkster

I'll be watching all four of those, but most likely not tonight.

When Walking Dead (and TD for some of us) comes back next month, and I think a couple other shows, Sundays will be smoking hot again.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
cherry ghost

House of Lies also starts tonight
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
sharkster

Oh yay! Love 'House of Lies' too. I really need to look through my 'to do' lists, as I have no idea that some shows are back. I've been concentrating on getting a few new shows lined up lately.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
ncsercs
DirecTivo fan.......

Saw S1 and S2 of 'Girls' recently. My god, what a train wreck. Comes across as a hipster version of Seinfeld. One of them reminds me of Sara Silverman. Still interesting, however.

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

1 TiVo Series3 / 1 DTV H24 / 2 DTV HR24
ncsercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Damn, I just cancelled Showtime on Wednesday. I had no idea Episodes was coming back.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I just signed back up for showtime this weekend, Love "Episodes" and "Shameless".
Caught some of "House of lies" marathon today.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

The Golden Globe awards are on tonight as well.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

It was an easy decision for me. Rangers vs. Flyers It helps to have 5 tuners on the DVR. I don't get Showtime, so that rules those shows out. I'm only mildly interested in True Detective, so I recorded that one which I'll get to at some point. Girls..meh, I'm not the right demo for that show, I watched it a few times and it doesn't appeal to me. I did record 60 Minutes and The Good Wife, which aren't new.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
MikeMar
Go Pats

Didn't like Girls, gave it half of the first season, but Episodes is good? Might have to give that a shot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Didn't like Girls, gave it half of the first season, but Episodes is good? Might have to give that a shot
I like Girls...watch it via Netflix so usually a season behind.

Episodes is really solid. Matt LeBlanc is great as himself

House of Lies is OK. Not great. Not awful. It's a "fun" show. Some good comedy from the lessor consultants.

Shameless is awesome. So wrong, but yet so funny. Maybe the funniest show on TV.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
KenDC
Huggy Bear

I watched both Girls last night and True Detective.

Girls is what it is. I understand that it is about unsympathetic characters but I still think you get something out of their relationships with each other.

My greatest wonder on True Detectives is if they have enough pot on set with both Matthew and Woody known to like their mary jane.

J/k I thought it was pretty interesting and will give it another watch or two. This will be a show that you will have to watch start to finish not one episode here or there.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I watched like half of the very first episode of Girls and gave up. I really like Episodes. I liked the first season of House of Lies. I watched 2-3 eps of season 2 and haven't watched the rest. Maybe I'll get back to that show some day.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDC View Post
J/k I thought it was pretty interesting and will give it another watch or two. This will be a show that you will have to watch start to finish not one episode here or there.
I'm missing something. what show is "J/k" ?
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
sharkster

j/k = just kidding
Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #16
zalusky

For Sundays Walking Dead followed by Shameless will be my priority sequence, the rest may have to punt to Monday night.

Showtime is so strong now with Homeland, Nurse Jackie, ... that I have both HBO and Showtime.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #17
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
I'm missing something. what show is "J/k" ?
Sorry, i guess my teens have worn off on me. It is just kidding.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #18
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I watched almost all of S1 of Girls before I figured out I really didn't like it.

Episodes is one of the best sitcoms on TV. Absolutely cutting edge funny.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #19
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Watched True Detectives last night: excellent stuff. Woody Harrelson is hilarious.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #20
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Every time I watch girls, I finish the episode and ask myself why I watched it. Nothing redeeming about any of the characters. Lena Dunham is about as pretentious as it comes. Her family is hipster to the core:
Quote:
Her father, Carroll Dunham, is a painter of "overtly sexualized pop art", and her mother, Laurie Simmons, is a photographer and designer, who creates artistic domestic scenes with dolls.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:59 AM   #21
smak
TV MA SLV

I feel like one day Lena can totally hit the jackpot, either with a TV series or a movie, but so far, her stuff doesn't really add up.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Lena Dunham to me always seems like one of those celebrities that the Hollywood insiders really want to make it, but she just doesn't translate to most people. And none of the characters on this show make me want to come back and watch them. They are pretentious and annoying and not in a good or entertaining way. But I don't think the show speaks to 50 something males like me. I'm certainly not a Brooklyn hipster (and boy my old Borough might be the most pretentious place to live in America, if you believe TV, it's no longer the middle class enclave it was when i was growing up). I tried watching it a few times for perhaps some gratuitous nudity...but, well there's Lena Dunham.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #23
mr.unnatural

I stopped watching Girls after a few episodes in the 2nd season. I struggled through the first season and almost stopped about halfway through, then it started getting a little better so I stuck around to the end of the season. I started into the second season and then asked myself, "What valid reason do I have for wasting my time with this show?" I couldn't come up with a reasonable answer so I stopped watching it. There is no way in Hell this show should be nominated for any type of awards.

I haven't subscribed to Showtime in forever so I get my shows via torrents. What's funny is that the first episodes of all three shows were available a week earlier than they actually aired. I was expecting to download the 2nd episodes of each of them on Monday only to find that they aren't available yet.

True Detective looks like a winner. Dark and gritty with a touch of Hannibal. I started another thread to discuss it.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #24
DUDE_NJX

Episodes is one of the best comedies ever made, IMO. VERY tight and sharp writing and performances. Also, hilarious
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #25
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and catch up on Episodes. You will not regret it.

I'm with you on Girls...it kept getting these great reviews so I stayed with it for almost the whole first season. It is utter crap.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #26
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Do yourself a favor and catch up on Episodes. You will not regret it.

I'm with you on Girls...it kept getting these great reviews so I stayed with it for almost the whole first season. It is utter crap.
Getting backlogged again!!!

To Watch: (probably in this order)
House of Cards
Episodes
Cougar Town
hmm I know there are a few more too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #27
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Getting backlogged again!!!

To Watch: (probably in this order)
House of Cards
Episodes
Cougar Town
hmm I know there are a few more too
Episodes fly by like it's 5 minutes...the season is usually very short as well...worst case, you have something to watch during the summer!

I'm saving Continuum and True Detectives for the summer (or until I hear that True Detectives is not worth watching).
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #28
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Nothing redeeming about any of the characters.
I've never seen any episodes of it, but that sounds a lot like the beloved show "Breaking Bad". A show about a drug dealer? Yes, I watch plenty of shows with "bad" characters (Sopranos, etc., but actually I still haven't watched the last half of the last season, I liked it but was never as enthralled as everyone else)..

Quote:
Cougar Town
Is Cougar Town on Netflix streaming or anything else? I have actually been recording/slowly watching the reruns of the cable-original season that were rerun again before the new season, but if they were on streaming (hopefully uncut), I'd be tempted to do a month of netflix and gorge on it and various other shows.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #29
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I've never seen any episodes of it, but that sounds a lot like the beloved show "Breaking Bad". A show about a drug dealer? Yes, I watch plenty of shows with "bad" characters (Sopranos, etc., but actually I still haven't watched the last half of the last season, I liked it but was never as enthralled as everyone else)

No....no...no...
Breaking bad was the exact OPPOSITE of girls. The fact that he was a drug dealer was juxtaposed with the fact that he started doing it to support his family. The entire series you end up asking yourself, why am I rooting for this guy? He's supposed to be BAD!

Girls just continuously has women that are stuck up and arrogant with nothing like virtuous qualitys that would make you want to forgive the pretentiousness. It would be different if any of the main characters had anything like a sympathetic cause.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #30
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
No....no...no...
Breaking bad was the exact OPPOSITE of girls. The fact that he was a drug dealer was juxtaposed with the fact that he started doing it to support his family. The entire series you end up asking yourself, why am I rooting for this guy? He's supposed to be BAD!

Girls just continuously has women that are stuck up and arrogant with nothing like virtuous qualitys that would make you want to forgive the pretentiousness. It would be different if any of the main characters had anything like a sympathetic cause.
I agree with mattick (Breaking Bad) and you (Girls). In the first case, I found myself saying "Why do I even care about a guy who thinks it's ok to MAKE and sell drugs, even to support his family? And becomes ruthless doing so. And I realized I just didn't. If I met someone like that in real life, I'd have ZERO sympathy. In the second, the girls on Girls, they are pretentious, self centered and annoying. Even in the very first episode (I think) when Lena has lunch with her parents, and they try to explain to her about life, she wants nothing to do with it. And it goes on and on like that, at least as long as I watched, where these girls could do pretty much anything they wanted with no recourse. And they all felt this sense of entitlement. But again, I admit, I am of a different generation, and maybe I just don't "get it".

From what I watched of that night, The Good Wife was awesome! The Springsteen soundtrack was just the icing on the cake. If that show was on cable, and they threw in a few curse words and a wee bit of nudity, they'd be taking about The Good Wife the same way they talk about Mad Men or Breaking Bad. But since it's network, it CAN'T be as good. That's the critic's rules these days.