TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2014, 05:12 AM   #1
nrnoble

Cable Rain fade problem

I have Comcast cable. For sometime now I have been having a problem which can be described as having the exact same technical problem as satellite "Rain Fade". On a limited set of channels, the signal strength drops to about 60%, and there is a digital break up of the picture\audio exactly like rain fade (its not compression pixilation).

Nearly always its in the morning or afternoon hours between 7am - 3pm, and never at night.

The pattern it is the same channels as far as I can determine, but I am not checking all 700 channels. Its not a block of channels, but rather a mix of isolated channels spread throughout 3-1000. Includes SD & HD, encrypted\Not encrypted, including the local NBC HD Station which is not encrypted. Even an HBO channel.

Why would some channels be effected but not others? Example 701 is perfect, but 702 has 60% signal, 703 is perfect.
Any explanation on why the same time every day (7am - 3pm)?

I know that if I call Comcast and report the problem, they are going to suggest that I replace the S3 TiVo with one of their DVRs (always their default solution). I am not hater of Comcast, so I have no ax to grind with them.
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
I have Comcast cable. For sometime now I have been having a problem which can be described as having the exact same technical problem as satellite "Rain Fade". On a limited set of channels, the signal strength drops to about 60%, and there is a digital break up of the picture\audio exactly like rain fade (its not compression pixilation).

Nearly always its in the morning or afternoon hours between 7am - 3pm, and never at night.

The pattern it is the same channels as far as I can determine, but I am not checking all 700 channels. Its not a block of channels, but rather a mix of isolated channels spread throughout 3-1000. Includes SD & HD, encrypted\Not encrypted, including the local NBC HD Station which is not encrypted. Even an HBO channel.

Why would some channels be effected but not others? Example 701 is perfect, but 702 has 60% signal, 703 is perfect.
Any explanation on why the same time every day (7am - 3pm)?

I know that if I call Comcast and report the problem, they are going to suggest that I replace the S3 TiVo with one of their DVRs (always their default solution). I am not hater of Comcast, so I have no ax to grind with them.

If you could find someone who'd give you a straight answer, I bet you'd find that those channels all arrive (or not) at your cable company's head end via the same "beam" from the same satellite.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you could find someone who'd give you a straight answer, I bet you'd find that those channels all arrive (or not) at your cable company's head end via the same "beam" from the same satellite.
Thanks. That would be a likely explanation except for I consistently have the problem with the local NBC station at the exact same time as the cable\sat stations.... But I suppose as absurd as it might be, Comcast could be getting the local stations via satellite rather than simply having a standard OTA antenna setup.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
mrizzo80

I had a similar issue with TWC in December. It showed up out of the blue one day last month. My issue was water was getting inside the cable pole tap. Once they replaced the tap and/or corrected what was causing the water to seep in the issue went away.

My issues also depended on what frequency the channels were being sent on... so 525khz channels would be fine but 416khz channels would show up at ~16DB on my Roamio.

Have them send a tech out in the early AM - their equipment should detect the errors coming into your house very quickly.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
JosephB

Where do you live? Like mrizzo said it sounds like water getting into a wire somewhere. If you live somewhere cold, that makes it even worse because the water freezing and thawing will physically break the cable

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
Thanks. That would be a likely explanation except for I consistently have the problem with the local NBC station at the exact same time as the cable\sat stations.... But I suppose as absurd as it might be, Comcast could be getting the local stations via satellite rather than simply having a standard OTA antenna setup.
Is it happening on local shows from that NBC broadcast affiliate, or on network stuff they're re-transmitting?

Because it could be that the feed from NBC, the network, is coming down to them on the same sat signal that the cable co is getting the other stuff from.

In other words, the problem is getting into the local station's signal before it gets picked out of the air by the cable co, and if you were watching it via OTA instead of cable you'd see the same thing.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Where do you live? Like mrizzo said it sounds like water getting into a wire somewhere. If you live somewhere cold, that makes it even worse because the water freezing and thawing will physically break the cable
Live in the Seattle area, mostly rain. Not a lot freezing lately.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
LoREvanescence

since moving into my apartment almost 3 years ago, I have had to have cox replace the main cable line into my apartment twice.

The issue was it came in off the street, ran across the flat roof of the apartment complex, then down a conduit on the outside wall and through the wall into my apartment.

When it would rain the cable on the roof would just sit in a puddle of water and eventually water would get into the line and cause days of signal problems after a steady rainfall.

crossing my fingers that the guy who did it this time fit it right, by the the sounds of it he said he routed it away it shouldn't be laying in a puddle anymore.

But overtime it would rain, I would have problems on only certain channels, and not everything.

When my signal was weak do the water being in the line, it was worse in the same hours you mentioned as well.

I don't know if a already weak signal gets weaker when more people use the internet or what, but something definitely made it noticeable weak during the daytime hours.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote