TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Exclamation My show is copy protected?

I'm directing and occasionally editing a show on a local analog public access channel. When I record it on a TiVo through a tuning adapter, the TiVo has the resulting recording flagged as copy protected, preventing me from transferring it to my computer for burning to DVD. The producer is not asserting copy protection on it. There's no contract involved permitting them to do it. It appears that it is the Tuning Adapter itself that is asserting copyright and copy protection on analog programming passing through it, and it seems to do it for all analog programming, including content from analog broadcast channels (but not the digital versions).

We'd rather people be able to share our show as televised and use Tuning Adapters to enjoy their full cable line-ups, and not make it an either-or proposition or invest in otherwise unnecessary additional hardware. Is there anything we can do to correct this situation where Time-Warner Cable's Cisco Tuning Adapters are asserting unwanted copy protection on their zero-creativity digital encodings of our work?

▘▘▀▌▌▘▀▘▌▘▀▘▙▌▐▖▙▘▙▌▌▘▙▘▙▘▟▘
▛▌▛▌▛▌▙▌▛▌▟▖▌▘▛▌▞▌▌▘▌▖▞▌▞▌▟▘

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
HTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
LifeIsABeach

You would probably have to contact Time-Warner. Perhaps they copy protected it by accident. Are they even allowed to copy protect the analog broadcast channels? Not sure about that.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTH View Post
I'm directing and occasionally editing a show on a local analog public access channel. When I record it on a TiVo through a tuning adapter, the TiVo has the resulting recording flagged as copy protected, preventing me from transferring it to my computer for burning to DVD. The producer is not asserting copy protection on it. There's no contract involved permitting them to do it.
They do not need such a contract, although TWC habitually lies about the existence of one. For any channel that is not locally broadcast OTA, the CATV provider has full control of the CCI byte assignment and are specifically allowed by law to set it to any value less than 0x03 as they please. That said, most PBS stations are broadcast OTA, in which case by law the CATV provider cannot under any circumstances set the CCI byte to anything other than 0x00 (unprotected). Is this station broadcast OTA? If so, then TWC is in violation of federal law. I would file a complaint.

Quote:
It appears that it is the Tuning Adapter itself that is asserting copyright and copy protection
No. The TA has no effect on the CCI byte.

Quote:
on analog programming passing through it, and it seems to do it for all analog programming, including content from analog broadcast channels (but not the digital versions).
No. The TA has no effect on analog channels whatsoever. It provides a channel map of digital channelsfor the CableCard(s). That is all.

That said, most (if not all) TWC systems transmit all the analog channels in digital, as well, and if you have CableCard installed, then you will be getting the digital version - with CCI byte set - as your feed.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-09-2012 at 03:13 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
You would probably have to contact Time-Warner. Perhaps they copy protected it by accident. Are they even allowed to copy protect the analog broadcast channels? Not sure about that.
Analog has nothing to do with it. Indeed, with only a few exceptions, there are essentially no longer any analog OTA channels. All the OTA channels, except for a few low power UHF stations, were converted to digital in 2007.

Regardless of whether the source is analog or digital, however, it is illegal for the CATV company to apply copy protection to any locally broadcast station.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
lrhorer

I just re-read this. You said, "Public Access", not, "Public Broadcasting". I was thinking PBS, but if you are talking about TWC's Public Access Channel, then unless their franchise agreement specifically fobids it, they can do whatever they like. Check with your local franchise authority. You might be able to convince them to force TWC to remove copy protection.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Just FYI... TiVo added a way for providers to copy protect analog recordings a long time ago. It was based on a standard developed by Macrovision and they were required to implement it to maintain their Macrovision license which they needed for other things. So long before there was a CCI byte, or even a CableCARD capable TiVo, there was a way for providers to "protect" analog recordings. There was even one that only allowed the recording to stay on the hard drive for 90 minutes. After 90 minutes the recording was deleted progressively, second by second. It was mainly only ever used for PPV, but some providers used it to prevent TTG on premium channels even back then. And just like with the CCI bit occasionally a recording would be flagged incorrectly and the user would suffer.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No. The TA has no effect on the CCI byte.

No. The TA has no effect on analog channels whatsoever. It provides a channel map of digital channels for the CableCard(s). That is all.
In the past, I've recorded the same program on analog cable channels with two CableCard-using TiVos, one with a Tuning Adapter, one without due to TA reliability problems. The recording on the the TA-using TiVo was flagged, the recording on the non-TA TiVo was not. (Some variation of behavior was noted when two shows were recorded simultaneously: recording two channels simultaneously resulted in an analog program not being protected.)

That was with a Series3 and a TiVo HD with pairs of cards. I'll repeat the experiment with two Elites with M-Cards.

Quote:
That said, most (if not all) TWC systems transmit all the analog channels in digital, as well, and if you have CableCard installed, then you will be getting the digital version - with CCI byte set - as your feed.
Here all the one- and two-digit channels are analog, able to be tuned with old SD cable-ready TVs with unassisted NTSC tuners. Digital channels have 3 digits, HD channels have 4. Apart from the HD broadcast channels, everthing 100 and above require cable boxes, CableCards, or TWC's DVRs to access. Public Access (channel 13, accessible even on limited VHF 2-13 tuners) is strictly SD and analog, no digital or HD options.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Who has control over producing the show? Could someone involved with the show be inavertedly inserting copy protection in the VBI data?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A

(Assuming this data can be inserted in the final version of the show that gets sent to the station.)

ETA
Looks like that is done on the broadcast side. Hmm...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
.......Here all the one- and two-digit channels are analog, able to be tuned with old SD cable-ready TVs with unassisted NTSC tuners. Digital channels have 3 digits, HD channels have 4. Apart from the HD broadcast channels, everthing 100 and above require cable boxes, CableCards, or TWC's DVRs to access. Public Access (channel 13, accessible even on limited VHF 2-13 tuners) is strictly SD and analog, no digital or HD options.
Your TWC region may differ but in mine if you DON"T use a CC you get the analog channels (e.g. 2 -100) and if you DO use CC you get the same channels simulcast digitally on the same channel numbers but they are actually on different RF frequencies than the analog versions. In other words although the content is the same, the digital and analog versions are different signals on the cable.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
HTH
No Avatar Selected

I prepare the video for TWC, burning it to a DVD-R from DVD Studio Pro.

But it's been mooted. Public Access has moved to 71.11 and now requires a digital tuner or cable box to watch. It is unencrypted, so now TiVo is not asserting a copyright protection flag on it. It's also now in stereo instead of being down-mixed to monaural.

If anyone is interested, segments from the show (and some full episodes) are available on YouTube. http://IvanTaprod.com/ will redirect you there.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I prepare the video for TWC, burning it to a DVD-R from DVD Studio Pro.

But it's been mooted. Public Access has moved to 71.11 and now requires a digital tuner or cable box to watch. It is unencrypted, so now TiVo is not asserting a copyright protection flag on it. It's also now in stereo instead of being down-mixed to monaural.

If anyone is interested, segments from the show (and some full episodes) are available on YouTube. http://IvanTaprod.com/ will redirect you there.
Is there a screenshot of your sig anywhere? Firefox just shows a bunch of boxes with 4 characters in them and some angle iron.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is there a screenshot of your sig anywhere? Firefox just shows a bunch of boxes with 4 characters in them and some angle iron.
Don't blame Firefox -- maybe your OS?

Edit: Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem with Firefox under Win 8.1, either. I do see it under XP, with either IE6 or Firefox 26.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 12.59.45 PM.jpg (49.1 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by wmcbrine : 01-10-2014 at 01:58 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Don't blame Firefox -- maybe your OS?

Edit: Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem with Firefox under Win 8.1, either. I do see it with IE6 under XP.
I'm running XP, so maybe it's a font I don't have or something.

I've seen those little boxes before, usually when there's some sort of Asian connection.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #14
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

XP's Unicode support just isn't very good.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
HTH
No Avatar Selected

My work browser under Linux supported it all enough to make it legible, with some slight alignment problems like the other posted screen-cap. Unfortunately, I don't work there anymore.

Each 2x2 set of characters is actually a representation of a single character written in Anquietas. Each character is a 3x4 grid of blocks. Except numbers, but they're not present in the signature.

It's the punch line of my Matrix-TiVo rewind joke transliterated into characters of the language of the Ancients of Stargate Atlantis. Decoded—with spaces added—it reads "THERE IS NO SPOOL".