TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #991
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
Well I discovered something funny. I finished putting the case together, and I was going to put the TiVo back on it's shelf (I had it on the floor to work on it), and I noticed all the wires were already correctly threaded in from the back of that shelf except the power cord.

So I got the bright idea of unplugging the UPS, but leaving the TiVo plugged into the UPS, and thread the UPS and the power cord with it, through that shelf so that I could get the TiVo back into position without having to power it off.

Well once I unplugged the UPS, the TiVo instantly powered down, which means the UPS is bad. I guess I'll be shopping for a new UPS.

Edit: while looking through UPS threads here, somebody suggested just replacing the battery. It turns out my model has a replacement battery available through Amazon with free shipping for $17.59. Probably a lot cheaper than new UPS's.
Those batteries are designed to amaze you at how fast 2 years goes by anymore.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #992
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Those batteries are designed to amaze you at how fast 2 years goes by anymore.
I've given up with online replacement batteries, and most of the time have given up on manufacturer replacement batteries. My experience is they either don't work in the first place, or don't last. It's more cost-effective for me to just replace the UPS with one bought on sale (I have 8 UPS's so it's worthwhile me keeping a sale spare around).
Old 12-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #993
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I've given up with online replacement batteries, and most of the time have given up on manufacturer replacement batteries. My experience is they either don't work in the first place, or don't last. It's more cost-effective for me to just replace the UPS with one bought on sale (I have 8 UPS's so it's worthwhile me keeping a sale spare around).
When they're on sale, they're usually not much more than the price of the battery, but they're very good at timing the sales when I either don't need one or can't get to the store.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #994
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
When they're on sale, they're usually not much more than the price of the battery, but they're very good at timing the sales when I either don't need one or can't get to the store.
Even when on sale, I've never seen them anywhere near $17.59.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #995
unitron

Quote:
Even when on sale, I've never seen them anywhere near $17.59.
And if you need one right now and drop in at Batteries +, you won't see that price, either.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #996
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
And if you need one right now and drop in at Batteries +, you won't see that price, either.
True, but I do see that price right now on Amazon, with free shipping.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #997
timckelley
TCFer

BTW, that NAS I bought dragged a long time to get going. I got the unbright idea of purchasing used hard drives, which the seller said were well tested with 100% good sectors, working as well as brand-new. Two were DOA, and at least one of the others had bad sectors on it, per the utilities I ran to test them with.

The good news is that he took them back with no hassle, and he even paid the return shipping, so I was out nothing. This time I bought 4 brand-new still in factory wrapping hard drives, and last night I installed them. They seem perfect. As of this morning, one of the NAS utilities was still running, one which tests every sector, so it's not 100% tested out yet, but so far everything looks good and all 4 drives are detected and storage allocated.

This one box has an amazing 12 trillion bytes in it, with 3 of those trillion for redundant storage per RAID-5 strategy, so really I have use of 9 trillion bytes.

I now feel digitally wealthy.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #998
timckelley
TCFer

A somewhat embarrassing update.

I've said in some threads (maybe this one too) that we've been having trouble transferring my wife's recordings reliably via pyTiVo because our wifi signal isn't steady enough, and my attempts to use MOCA have not worked.

My wife got the idea of having me move her kitchen TiVo to my son's bedroom (which is located just across the hall from my router, so the signal should be good there) which I did, and after awhile, she didn't like not having access to trickplay features in the morning... typically during the mornings she likes watching the news and weather forecasts in the kitchen, and she likes being able to rewind when she misses something.

So she asked if I could get a fifth TiVo ( ) to put in the kitchen for that. I reminded her that the reason we moved it is to get pyTiVo to work more reliably. She said that's okay, because she'd just use the TiVo for watching in the mornings, and won't need to archive anything from it. I then asked her if she only cares about rewinding the live buffer, because I think (but am not 100%, but I'm pretty sure) that an old unsubbed S2 TiVo will work from the live buffer + trickplay features, but she won't have any guide data, and I'm pretty sure she won't be able to hit the <record> button to record the live show that's airing either.

She countered that she'd like the ability to record the live show that's in progress with the <record> button. (Why, I'm not sure.) So out of curiosity, I went to Craigslist to see if anybody had any lifetimed S2's for sale, and I did find one ad that was a nice one. She lives not far at all from me, and is selling her lifetimed S2 for $50. That seemed like a great deal, so I replied to the already 9 day old ad, and she still had it.

So I went by, and I thought I'd be smart and test it before buying it, so I brought a tiny hand held DVD player I have, which can also be used as a monitor, because it has video inputs.

I got to her place last night, and the details are: she hasn't used it in 3 years, and it's still packed in her box. She had used it for the 5 years prior to that, so it's actually 8 years old. (She currently has AT&T Uverse, and uses AT&T's DVR, which she confides that she doesn't like as much as TiVo, which says something, because she's comparing it to her old S2, let alone today's models. But she's an AT&T customer and has their DVR, so she feels she has no use for the TiVo.)

Anyway, I plugged it in, and it got stuck on the Welcome screen while powering up. After 10 minutes of being stuck I gave up, as that seems too long. However, having said this, I could be wrong, but the fact that it made it to the welcome screen suggests to me that the motherboard and power supply are okay, and maybe it just needs a new hard drive. It's lifetimed, and so seems to have value in my mind. She also is very tech unsavvy and says she'd have no clue how to work on a TiVo to fix one.

Well she came right and out and said if I'm still interested, I can just take it without paying her, and try to fix it, and if I succeed in getting it fixed, I can pay her what I think it's worth. I was impressed by her trusting nature, and I don't like taking advantage of people, so I gave her my contact information so that she'll know I won't just abscond with her TiVo, and my plan is to try and fix it.

I'm pretty sure I have extra hard drives lieing around my house, so it's possible I could get this thing working at no cost, in which case I feel like I probably should still give her $50. Well I guess I could deduct money for the work I did, but I feel like $50 is such a great deal, even if the only thing wrong is a bad hard drive, I still kind of feel like she deserves $50 if that's all it needs. I might need to get an image for the drive though, and I don't know if I'll have to pay to get an image. (If so, that might be legitimately deducted from her $50.) But this came up once before, years ago, and I lucked out, and somebody on TCF actually sent me the image I needed for free.

Also, we do have 2 other S2's, and maybe we'll luck out and one of them is the same model, and I could get the image from that one... I haven't yet checked to compare model numbers. Also, I do happen to have a computer (the one that's running pyTiVo) that contains a motherboard with IDE connections, so I could certainly use that one to work on this old model S2 (which most probably contains an IDE motherboard in it).

Anyway, I started out saying this was embarrassing, and the embarrassing part is that we actually have 5 TiVos in our house now (albeit one doesn't work yet). It seems kind of absurd to me to have that many TiVos, but a lifetimed TiVo including hardware + sub, all for $50, just seemed like a great deal to me, and my wife wanted it, and it might be hard to beat that price very easily, so I took it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #999
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
5 TiVo boxes isn't embarrassing. I've got that in my home (5 Premieres, with plans to replace one of those with a Roamio), though one is not currently active.
Step-daughter's bedroom.
Daughter's bedroom is supposed to have one, but is not currently active.
Living room.
Master Bedroom.
Den.

Add on top of that the tuners that I have available in the HTPC that I have (which can be accessed over the network from 2 other PC's, as well as from the Ceton Echo extender).

A Slingbox connected to one of the TiVo's is also occasionally used by my son to get stuff that he otherwise couldn't catch while he's away at school.

There is no such thing as too much TV.

(That doesn't mean that we keep all of the recordings for forever and don't let them go. In that area, well, if the box gets full, too bad. Something is gonna be deleted.)
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #1000
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
A somewhat embarrassing update...
There are people who work for the government who, with a combination of drugs and other techniques could take care of this whole problem for you.

Have you ever heard of "Stepford"?
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #1001
unitron

Quote:
A somewhat embarrassing update.

I've said in some threads (maybe this one too) that we've been having trouble transferring my wife's recordings reliably via pyTiVo because our wifi signal isn't steady enough, and my attempts to use MOCA have not worked.

My wife got the idea of having me move her kitchen TiVo to my son's bedroom (which is located just across the hall from my router, so the signal should be good there) which I did, and after awhile, she didn't like not having access to trickplay features in the morning... typically during the mornings she likes watching the news and weather forecasts in the kitchen, and she likes being able to rewind when she misses something.

So she asked if I could get a fifth TiVo ( ) to put in the kitchen for that. I reminded her that the reason we moved it is to get pyTiVo to work more reliably. She said that's okay, because she'd just use the TiVo for watching in the mornings, and won't need to archive anything from it. I then asked her if she only cares about rewinding the live buffer, because I think (but am not 100%, but I'm pretty sure) that an old unsubbed S2 TiVo will work from the live buffer + trickplay features, but she won't have any guide data, and I'm pretty sure she won't be able to hit the <record> button to record the live show that's airing either.

She countered that she'd like the ability to record the live show that's in progress with the <record> button. (Why, I'm not sure.) So out of curiosity, I went to Craigslist to see if anybody had any lifetimed S2's for sale, and I did find one ad that was a nice one. She lives not far at all from me, and is selling her lifetimed S2 for $50. That seemed like a great deal, so I replied to the already 9 day old ad, and she still had it.

So I went by, and I thought I'd be smart and test it before buying it, so I brought a tiny hand held DVD player I have, which can also be used as a monitor, because it has video inputs.

I got to her place last night, and the details are: she hasn't used it in 3 years, and it's still packed in her box. She had used it for the 5 years prior to that, so it's actually 8 years old. (She currently has AT&T Uverse, and uses AT&T's DVR, which she confides that she doesn't like as much as TiVo, which says something, because she's comparing it to her old S2, let alone today's models. But she's an AT&T customer and has their DVR, so she feels she has no use for the TiVo.)

Anyway, I plugged it in, and it got stuck on the Welcome screen while powering up. After 10 minutes of being stuck I gave up, as that seems too long. However, having said this, I could be wrong, but the fact that it made it to the welcome screen suggests to me that the motherboard and power supply are okay, and maybe it just needs a new hard drive. It's lifetimed, and so seems to have value in my mind. She also is very tech unsavvy and says she'd have no clue how to work on a TiVo to fix one.

Well she came right and out and said if I'm still interested, I can just take it without paying her, and try to fix it, and if I succeed in getting it fixed, I can pay her what I think it's worth. I was impressed by her trusting nature, and I don't like taking advantage of people, so I gave her my contact information so that she'll know I won't just abscond with her TiVo, and my plan is to try and fix it.

I'm pretty sure I have extra hard drives lieing around my house, so it's possible I could get this thing working at no cost, in which case I feel like I probably should still give her $50. Well I guess I could deduct money for the work I did, but I feel like $50 is such a great deal, even if the only thing wrong is a bad hard drive, I still kind of feel like she deserves $50 if that's all it needs. I might need to get an image for the drive though, and I don't know if I'll have to pay to get an image. (If so, that might be legitimately deducted from her $50.) But this came up once before, years ago, and I lucked out, and somebody on TCF actually sent me the image I needed for free.

Also, we do have 2 other S2's, and maybe we'll luck out and one of them is the same model, and I could get the image from that one... I haven't yet checked to compare model numbers. Also, I do happen to have a computer (the one that's running pyTiVo) that contains a motherboard with IDE connections, so I could certainly use that one to work on this old model S2 (which most probably contains an IDE motherboard in it).

Anyway, I started out saying this was embarrassing, and the embarrassing part is that we actually have 5 TiVos in our house now (albeit one doesn't work yet). It seems kind of absurd to me to have that many TiVos, but a lifetimed TiVo including hardware + sub, all for $50, just seemed like a great deal to me, and my wife wanted it, and it might be hard to beat that price very easily, so I took it.

On the back where the power cord plugs in there's a sticker and the model number is on that sticker and if it's a TiVo brand TiVo that number will start with TCD (and if the next three characters are 649 I may have to hate you) and if you tell us what it is we can see about getting it running again.

In the meantime, go read the IDE/SATA adapter thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

because S2s are set up to use IDE drives but you can get a lot more GB/$ with SATA drives these days, and I'll bet if you get a twinbreeze bracket from weaKnees and put two 1TB drives in there she'll have all 2TB filled in short order.

It could be that the drive is okay but (due to "capacitor plague") the power supply isn't quite up to providing enough current for everything at once.

Don't actually spend any money until after we talk again.

(I think your wife and my mom must be related)

Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #1002
timckelley
TCFer

Well the TiVo I need to repair is model TCD140060, and my other S2s are models TCD540040 and TCD240080. Does anybody know if either of those two have compatible images to the TCD140060, or do I need to look elsewhere for a fresh image?

I'm probably jumping the gun though, because I haven't verified if the hard drive is bad. I'm thinking as a first diagnostic step, I should pull out the hard drive and mount it in my Windows XP computer (which has an IDE motherboard in it), and run a hard drive diagnostic utility to see if the hard drive is good or not.

According to This site, this S2 I just got is the first S2 model ever made.

Edit: I'm confused, because the above site says this model comes with a 60 GB hard drive. Yet I could swear the first S2 I ever bought had a 40 GB drive. Yet they claim this is the first S2 model?

More bad news: I'm looking around my house for spare hard drives, and so far I'm just finding a 20 GB and a 40 GB, which I guess are pretty puny. OTOH, my wife didn't act like she wanted this TiVo to store a bunch of shows on, but mainly to have some kind of timeshifting ability in the kitchen. IOW, not her normal hoarding, but merely taimeshifting.

Edit2: I talked to my wife, and even a 40 GB drive, which would give her 40 hours at basic quality (IIRC) is more than satisfactory to her. She claims she just wants it to be able to hold a couple of shows on it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 01-10-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #1003
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Edit2: I talked to my wife, and even a 40 GB drive, which would give her 40 hours at basic quality (IIRC) is more than satisfactory to her. She claims she just wants it to be able to hold a couple of shows on it.
Yes, but she is a digital hoarder. I recommend you plan ahead.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #1004
timckelley
TCFer

Well, I opened it up. As the link above says, it has a 60GB Western Digital hard drive, and stamped on it is "June 13, 2002". Maybe this thing is older than the owner claimed. I will say it's really clean inside with no dust at all anywhere that I see.

I suppose I could put something bigger than my 40 GB drive in it, but if I can quickly get it working, I'll feel better about knowing what fair price I should pay the girl that lent it to me. I can always upgrade later if I need to.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #1005
timckelley
TCFer

Wow, it just turns out that I already have a DOS bootable flash drive that tests western digital hard drives. I think I'll use it now to test this drive.

Edit: Darn, the one computer I need to use to test the HD (because it has an IDE motherboard) is the same one that runs pyTiVo, and my wife has it busy right now transferring stuff. With her queue, it'll be tomorrow before I can resume work on this. Oh well.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 01-10-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #1006
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Well the TiVo I need to repair is model TCD140060, and my other S2s are models TCD540040 and TCD240080. Does anybody know if either of those two have compatible images to the TCD140060, or do I need to look elsewhere for a fresh image?
I found these quotes from a 7.5 year old thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anametrix View Post
Hi there,

I have a working TCD240XXX image, I'm wondering if this image will work on a TCD140XXX TiVo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
Yes, it will work, if the image is of v7.1 or later. The 240 and 140 TiVos both use the same software now, but the older versions are different and not interchangable.
Earlier in that thread, they say if the first three digits are different, you're out of luck, but this guy talks about v7.1 or later. I should look at my TCD240 TiVo that I have to verify if the version is v7.1 or later (which given that thread is 7.5 years old, I'd think that I'm okay). It sounds like I'm in luck, and can use that image.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #1007
timckelley
TCFer

Say, if I do get this thing fixed for free, do you people think I should still offer $50 to her, which was her full asking price? She did advertise it as working, which it isn't, so I could certainly argue it's worth less, and she seems to be negotiable given it's condition and willing to basically collect from me whatever I say it's worth, but if $50 was underpriced to begin with, and having a bad hard drive is still worth the $50, then I don't want to short change her, and I'll still pay her $50.

I guess my question is: what is a reasonable market value for a lifetimed TiVo that's got a bad hard drive? If those go for $50, then I'll probably pay her $50. But I'm not going higher than that, because $50 was her original asking price. However, if the true market value is less than $50, I may consider offering her whatever that market value is.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #1008
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Give her $25 and call it a day.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #1009
timckelley
TCFer

Wow, I just found a hard drive lying around I forgot I had, which is 320 GB: much bigger than the other two. But it's SATA, so I'd have to install some kind of adapter to get it to work. I guess I can try that, but it likely won't happen today, as I own no such adapter.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #1010
timckelley
TCFer

I'm getting very frustrated, because I've spent most of today simply trying to create a bootable CD with disk utilities on it. I preferred a flash drive, but for some reason I can't get my Windows XP computer to boot to a USB drive.

I got it to boot to a DOS bootable CD, but if I try to include drive diagnostics, it no longer will boot. Then I thought to boot to the DOS only CD, and swap CDs to one that contains the diagnostics (as once it boots to CD, it won't recognize the flash drive), but now it won't boot to any CD for some wierd reason.

I've tried switching to a R/W CD after wasting 3 read-onlies, but I get the error message "Unit not ready", and can't burn an ISO to it.

I guess now I'm off to google what that means.

This is just a sampling of what I've gone through today, spending hours getting nowhere on this. I guess I'm not really an expert of how to make bootable CDs or flash drives and have to rely on google, and google hasn't really come through for me today.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #1011
timckelley
TCFer

I downloaded some program called WinISO that lets me add files to ISOs, so I added the drive diagnostics. Several CDs later, they all failed either because the CDs were unreadable, or there is a bad or missing command interpreter.

But looking at the ISO file on my hard drive (before burning), I don't see any COMMAND.COM, which makes me think the ISO file itself (which I downloaded from internet) is insufficient. It's chock filled with DOS utilities, but the most important one: command.com is missing. I guess now I'll look elsewhere for a better ISO file.

I worry that this entire day will come and go with me making no progress, while I have many other household duties that are getting neglected.

Edit: no, command.com is there now. It wasn't before, I could swear.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #1012
timckelley
TCFer

I can't believe, I finally get it to boot to a DOS CD, and the drive diagnostic that I added to the ISO prior to burning are mysteriously missing from the CD.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #1013
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I found these quotes from a 7.5 year old thread:

Earlier in that thread, they say if the first three digits are different, you're out of luck, but this guy talks about v7.1 or later. I should look at my TCD240 TiVo that I have to verify if the version is v7.1 or later (which given that thread is 7.5 years old, I'd think that I'm okay). It sounds like I'm in luck, and can use that image.
Yes, tivo merged the software at some point so that 140s and 240s use the same software. Considering that the S1s ended on v7.3 it would be unlikely that a working 240 isn't at least as current as the S1 software.
The replacement drive will have to be be at least 80gb because that's what's in a 240080, unless the 240 was upgraded from a 240040 image.

Last edited by scandia101 : 01-11-2014 at 05:11 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #1014
unitron

Quote:
I can't believe, I finally get it to boot to a DOS CD, and the drive diagnostic that I added to the ISO prior to burning are mysteriously missing from the CD.
Your cd burning software should have a "burn as an image" option, which will let you make a bootable copy of the Ultimate Boot CD from the free .iso as well as a bootable copy of the MFS LIve cd v1.4 .iso

The UBCD has drive diagnostic programs from all the major brands to check the drive itself.

The MFS Live cd has

pdisk -l /dev/whicheverdriveistheTiVoone

to check the partition layout

and

mfsinfo /dev/whicheverdriveistheTiVoone

to check the MFS partitions

and WinMFS, running on XP SP3 or later, also has a version of

mfsinfo

that can reveal problems with the TiVo software on the drive.

Go here:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

go to the bottom where it says mirror sites and click on one of the old-style drive icons.

and for MFS Live, click this

http://mfslive.org/forums/download/file.php?id=89

Recent-ish 140 image usable with WinMFS

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/140_gset.tbk

That 240 image will probably work on a big enough drive, and if it's not new enough

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/240_gset.bak

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/240_GSet.tbk

Remember, .tbk files have to be restored with WinMFS
(if you don't already have winmfs.exe on that XP machine, PM me)

and .bak files are for restoring with the MFS Live cd.

Back during the single tuner S2 era, Maxtor was making drives with a few more bytes than the competition for a given size, and some of those drives got used in TiVos, so an image from, for example, the 80GB Maxtor that came in my 240 won't fit on an 80GB WD or Seagate, so there's that to worry about.

As to which IDE/SATA adapter is needed for that particular S2, there seems to be some uncertainty as to whether it has to be a Marvell chipset based one, like the S1s, or whether, like the later S2s, it can use either a Marvell based or a JMicron based.

I've got a 140 I can experiment on if I can find a working SATA drive around here.

Now, in case the problem isn't the drive, do you have a voltmeter?

Old 01-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #1015
timckelley
TCFer

So I thought I'd try putting hte diagnostics on a separate CD so I could swap them. (Boot to one, use another to run diagnostics.) But I get "General Failure reading drive A". It seems it will only read the disc I boot to.

It's weird: I insert the CD in a different computer, and I see all files just fine, but in the XP computer, it seems them all except the ones I added (the drive diagnostics). I'm having trouble thinking of anything more to try.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #1016
timckelley
TCFer

Also, I wonder why my later model e-machines computer will boot to my flash drive, but the older model won't. The BIOS lists it as a bootable drive. It already has my drive utilities and DOS in bootable form, so it would be easy and convenient if I could boot to it.

I'd just use my later model e-machines to do this, but it's motherboard is a SATA motherboard, so I'd like to use the other one.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #1017
unitron

Quote:
So I thought I'd try putting hte diagnostics on a separate CD so I could swap them. (Boot to one, use another to run diagnostics.) But I get "General Failure reading drive A". It seems it will only read the disc I boot to.

It's weird: I insert the CD in a different computer, and I see all files just fine, but in the XP computer, it seems them all except the ones I added (the drive diagnostics). I'm having trouble thinking of anything more to try.
Just use the UBCD on the PC with IDE.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #1018
trip1eX

Reminds me of my Dad. He'd watch his fav shows. Then he got a VCR. And then at first occasionally recorded those fav shows when he otherwise couldn't watch them. He started to fall behind though and eventually was recording everything and watching nothing. It was a vicious circle. The more he recorded stuff so he (could) go back and catch up the bigger the pile got which only increased the odds he'd ever go back. I guess he didn't want to admit defeat. And so it became a running joke.

And in his garage somewhere sits a few large boxes of VCR tapes with every episode of Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty and a few other shows like Dukes of Hazzard starting somewhere after the first few years those shows started airing because even 5-10 years after those shows stopped airing he wouldn't let anyone record on those tapes.

Last edited by trip1eX : 01-16-2014 at 05:43 PM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #1019
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Reminds me of my Dad. He'd watch his fav shows. Then he got a VCR. And then at first occasionally recorded those fav shows when he otherwise couldn't watch them. He started to fall behind though and eventually was recording everything and watching nothing. It was a vicious circle. The more he recorded stuff so he go back and catch up the bigger the pile got whichonly increased the odds he'd ever go back. I guess he didn't want to admit defeat. And so it became a running joke.

And in his garage somewhere sits a few large boxes of VCR tapes with every episode of Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty and a few other shows like Dukes of Hazzard starting somewhere after the first few years those shows started airing because even 5-10 years after those shows stopped airing he wouldn't let anyone record on those tapes.
Should have bought him a second VCR, although that might have led to tying up both machines recording.

But that's one of the big advantages of the TiVo--you can tie up as many tuners as it has and still watch something you already recorded.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #1020
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Just use the UBCD on the PC with IDE.
Thank you; I'm attempting this now, but I think I clicked on the wrong button and some software got installed that I didn't want.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc