TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #241
aaronwt
HD Addict

I thought they were showing it behind close dooors?

Although at this rate, Amazon Prime streaming will show up first.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #242
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I thought they were showing it behind close dooors?

Although at this rate, Amazon Prime streaming will show up first.
We know that they had some "behind closed door" conversations because Dave Zatz reported he declined an invitation based on the DNR restrictions.

We do not know what TiVo was presenting / discussing.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with TiVo at CES this year. I really thought with an open booth they were ready to showcase some real strategic effort. Unfortunately, they just wanted a publicity stunt.

Do I think it is coming? Yes. When? Who knows, my best guess is as good as anyone else’s... Based on what we know - spring?

Too long in my opinion and I don't even own an android device!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #243
jrtroo
User

Tivo does not normally release a bunch of data on new products during CES. It gets lost in all of the other shiny toys- seems weird that every year folks get all excited and then let down by their own hype.

Tivomargret just emphasized today that it is "in the coming months".
Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #244
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yeah and they've been saying that ever since the Stream came out. No one believes anything Tivo says about this, timeline-wise.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #245
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylicious View Post
There is such radio silence on it that I wouldn't be surprised if Tivo have abandoned Android streaming.
I'm beginning to agree with you. I read this a couple months back:

"TiVo representatives told us there is no definite timeframe for streaming to come to the Android app, but it is in the company's plans. "
Ars Article: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...eps-calling/4/

That line bothered me greatly as it shows Tivo isn't even close enough to give a rough timeframe for Android app streaming.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #246
derekmski

Any new information on an Android release date?
derekmski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #247
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
We know that they had some "behind closed door" conversations because Dave Zatz reported he declined an invitation based on the DNR restrictions. We do not know what TiVo was presenting / discussing.
While at the show, it was specifically reiterated to me by TiVo marketing personnel that "Android" was being demo-ed privately. I assume the conversations were broader than just Android, but I didn't press and obviously choose to stay excluded so that I may cover topics at my discretion and in any manner (without embargo dates, requests for edits, being chastised for tone, etc).
davezatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #248
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
While at the show, it was specifically reiterated to me by TiVo marketing personnel that "Android" was being demo-ed privately. I assume the conversations were broader than just Android, but I didn't press and obviously choose to stay excluded so that I may cover topics at my discretion and in any manner (without embargo dates, requests for edits, being chastised for tone, etc).
Dave- based on your experience, what can we read into private demo-ing of Android Streaming? Lack of confidence in the product is obvious, but is there something more Android fans can get from this?
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #249
Dan203
Super Moderator

There was a rumor somewhere that they might be having trouble getting the app approved by CableLabs because of security concerns. I'm not actually sure if they are required to get the individual apps approved, or just the protocol, but it makes sense. Android is a lot more hacker friendly then iOS so CableLabs could be concerned about people bypassing the CCI bit and capturing protected content. Although it could just as easily be that the Android software simply isn't done yet.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #250
mrizzo80

Kinda strange they felt the need to give private demo's of existing functionality. I realize this will be "new" to Android whenever it lands, but this type of functionality has existed for nearly a year and a half.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #251
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

I don't get the security concern given that Tivo Desktop allows me to create video files that are unencumbered for all programs without the flag set, seems the security needs to be on the Tivo not the device, and they already have that in place.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #252
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
I don't get the security concern given that Tivo Desktop allows me to create video files that are unencumbered for all programs without the flag set, seems the security needs to be on the Tivo not the device, and they already have that in place.
Streaming allows you to stream even protected shows. And since it's HLS they would be really easy to capture with the proper hack.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #253
chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Streaming allows you to stream even protected shows. And since it's HLS they would be really easy to capture with the proper hack.
Bingo. Tivo is scared of the movie studio lawsuits.
chart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #254
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:

So give me an app with can't steam protects shows. Better then nothing.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #255
Dan203
Super Moderator

People with TWC and Cox, who protect everything, wouldn't be very happy with that. They're already limiting out of home streaming to non-protected content and there are a TON of people b*tching about it.

They're much better off holding it back until they can figure out the security problems and get proper approval from CableLabs. Android users have waited so long, do you really think they'll be happy with a half a$$ solution that is less then what's available on iOS?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #256
aaronwt
HD Addict

Hell No!!
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #257
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
People with TWC and Cox, who protect everything, wouldn't be very happy with that.
Not Cox in RI, Only thing protected is HBO, Showtime, Etc. And even if they did, my use case I would be very happy with being able to get NBC, ABC, CBS, etc even if it was all I could get.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #258
Balzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chart View Post
Bingo. Tivo is scared of the movie studio lawsuits.
That's a good point. Tivo has secured a LOT of funds through patent litigation... I am sure they are being extra careful to not be on the other end of that...

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #259
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:

They're much better off holding it back until they can figure out the security problems and get proper approval from CableLabs. Android users have waited so long, do you really think they'll be happy with a half a$$ solution that is less then what's available on iOS?
LOL this is Tivo we're talking about, almost guaranteed it's going to be a half-assed solution no matter what. Just like not being able to stream anything you want OOH even though you can do it on your LAN.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #260
MrDell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Not Cox in RI, Only thing protected is HBO, Showtime, Etc. And even if they did, my use case I would be very happy with being able to get NBC, ABC, CBS, etc even if it was all I could get.
Competition is Great!! Cox in RI has Verizon Fios to compete with so they have to be careful what they do. I found them bending over backwards to make sure their product, service and prices are equal to or below Verizon. Before Verizon came to town, Cox was the only act around and they pretty much did what they wanted. Today it is a whole different story. I love it!!
MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #261
marinrain

Android not Apple?

so they are worried about Android stream but not Apple (iOs) ?? makes no sense...either they are worried or not
marinrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #262
Dan203
Super Moderator

That was just a rumor posted somewhere, it may not be true.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #263
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinrain View Post
so they are worried about Android stream but not Apple (iOs) ?? makes no sense...either they are worried or not
Well, iOS is harder to hack, has uniform hardware (if some kind of hardware specific encryption is needed) and has uniform software that is controlled by Apple.

They can be sure, if you're running this, the hardware and software looks like THIS.

With android, you can't do that.

Remember when netflix came out, they had the same hurdles. They did a slow roll out to android, starting with specific hardware and software and then slowly expanding. Rumor was, it was some of the same stuff. Specific encryption hardware was needed and had to be approved and specific software, etc.

I totally get that. And I'm an android user, but I still get why android would come second. What I don't get is why it's been, what, over a year now? That's nuts for a company that just said they want to focus more on software than hardware.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #264
KJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Well, iOS is harder to hack, has uniform hardware (if some kind of hardware specific encryption is needed) and has uniform software that is controlled by Apple.

They can be sure, if you're running this, the hardware and software looks like THIS.

With android, you can't do that.

Remember when netflix came out, they had the same hurdles. They did a slow roll out to android, starting with specific hardware and software and then slowly expanding. Rumor was, it was some of the same stuff. Specific encryption hardware was needed and had to be approved and specific software, etc.

I totally get that. And I'm an android user, but I still get why android would come second. What I don't get is why it's been, what, over a year now? That's nuts for a company that just said they want to focus more on software than hardware.
All the excuses and speculation on behalf of TiVo are nonsense -- everything being said was known by the company when they promised over a year-and-a-half ago that android support was "coming soon." And none of these issues are a serious problem because, as you point out, other companies have already done it. Lots of companies.

TiVo has simply decided to allocate its resources elsewhere, which is a pretty crappy way to treat your existing customers. Only more so because TiVo refuses to address the issue other than to say "not yet" every six months.
KJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #265
davezatz
Funkadelic

RCN believes TiVo is now looking at June:
https://twitter.com/jnealis/status/426403460150358016
davezatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #266
jwbelcher

Quote:
That would give "In the coming months" a new perspective.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #267
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

I don't buy the excuse that it's a security concern with cable labs. DirecTV Genie Go streams to android.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:57 AM   #268
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
I don't buy the excuse that it's a security concern with cable labs. DirecTV Genie Go streams to android.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
DirecTV has their own deals with the content providers and can do whatever those deals allow them to do. Cable Labs is a consortium of multiple cable companies all with their own deals and very little love for TiVo. While the rumor may not be true, I can easily see where it could be given the players involved.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #269
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wow! I can't believe it is taking so long. Although someone posted in another thread that the 3rd party development firm they think TiVo was using for Android got bought out, so that might have thrown a wrench into things.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:21 AM   #270
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I got a postcard in the mail yesterday from TiVo. Yes, United States Postal Service, from TiVo.

It contained a "special upgrade offer" for my XL4 only, to buy a Roamio at $100 off, and transfer my current subscription plan to it.

This is pure comedy how they can't get this supported.

I've watched them put up the World Trade Center building from an office window in less time it is taking TiVo to support Android.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote