TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.95 average.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #811
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
What you say does seem logical, just so long as one of the next big new items is Best Buy (and perhaps other stores) being investigated and/or punished for turning a blind-eye, and/or not meeting their obligations to prevent fraud in the first place. Target is the focus at the moment. Who says Best Buy is, or isn't, next?

I don't foresee the end-purchasers, who bought a reasonable number of fenced items for personal use, without confessing to knowledge of the reason for the price, being penalized. However, this can often come down to state and other jurisdictional laws, which might not take into consideration anything more than the "letter of the law", no matter how arcane, or outdated, it is.

This is a great example of laws not keeping up with technology. Shouldn't buyers be protected from being able to wind up in possession of the spoils of a theft? Should it really be a crime, when the crime was not obvious, and the consumer not protected from being an unwilling participant?

If this takes off too much, I'd like to see a new thread for the matter, and keep this thread as the great resource it has been, which is a good thing, when the "Roamio deals" are 100% legitimate.

It's the technology that allows the cloak of secrecy about the path an item takes from TiVo to the end-purchaser. The old-school way involving real "fences" (shady people, in a shady neighborhood, perhaps in a shady brick store, with no proof of where they got their goods), was the way that would wind up with the last person holding the goods facing those goods being reclaimed by the authorities.

It's also one thing for say Newegg to sell a $199 item for $19, when we KNOW that Newegg is just doing an insane promo. It's something different, when the online stores pop up like the heads in a "whack-a-mole" game.

Now that this thread has exposed that "sophiamart" seems to be one of many fronts for the same "virtual fence", it's hard for anybody to claim complete and total ignorance if they got the link to the new front from this thread...

People can go back and forth all they like about it, and are free to do as they wish, like just dismissing this as alarmism, and purely speculation, then buying from "buycheapherebeforeweregone.com", and they may never be directly implicated, or directly affected.

It's all speculation, until the other shoe drops (or doesn't)...
You make some good points but near xmiss getting less than a 20% discount is not that unusual, if the discount had been say 70% maybe, but than again sometimes on E-Bay, if nobody is bidding on an item, I have bagged items for 80% off list (not TiVos). AX is a great card to use because if the vender can't prove shipment you get your money back, this has happened a few times for me over the years (again not TiVos) and I have no problem getting my money back from AX.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #812
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

Thank you!
I have to try for the price match over the phone since I'm not close to any bb stores that have them in stock. I'll give the a call tomorrow.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #813
hizhonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
for those of you that got best buy to price match the roamio pro for $499, What did you show them? Your upgrade email?
I used https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/roam...r-landing-page

And explained it was $100 off the box and $ 100 off the lifetime service. "Since I have to buy the service from TiVo directly, would you price match the box".

The manager glanced at the web page on my phone asked if it was a bundle, to which I replied I have to buy the service directly from TiVo. She told the clerk to go ahead, she'd rather have the sale. After that was agreed to, I also asked if she would price match Amazon on a Mini. She said as long as it's sold by Amazon-- quickly looked at the web site on my phone --and agreed.

It probably didn't hurt that she was busy running around helping others. I didn't mention anything about the two gift card promos at the time. They already had the $15 card for spending $100 ( now expired) laying with the TiVo box. The $50 card rang up at the end. The clerk was surprised and I just said "that's great".

Steve
hizhonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #814
alyssa

The $50 gc offer from bb seems to have expired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #815
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
The $50 gc offer from bb seems to have expired
Yes, the email that I got about it from TiVo said it expired 12/28/13.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #816
shaggy2002

Just got bestbuy to price match $499.99. I did not get a gift card. Just confirming what others have already said that the gift card promotions are gone.
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #817
moolman

For those that don't have a BB or like amazon better because of no sales tax, amazon has the pro for 529.99 right now, lowest in a long time.
moolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #818
laria
Librocubicularist

Wow... wish that was the price a couple weeks ago for price match at Best Buy.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #819
cjbell82

Amazon is really knocking the price of the Roamio Pro at the moment.

$431.23 from them direct, or $399.99 from reseller Etailz.

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Digital-R...rds=roamio+pro
cjbell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #820
mjcxp

Amazon has the pro for $431.23. I just picked one up to replace my basic.
mjcxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #821
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbell82 View Post
Amazon is really knocking the price of the Roamio Pro at the moment.

$431.23 from them direct, or $399.99 from reseller Etailz.

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Digital-R...rds=roamio+pro
This won't last long. And order from Amazon. Those Etailz orders are sure to get cancelled. I'm guessing they messed up and listed inventory for the Roamio Plus under the Pro model.

You can bet the Amazon price is their rock-bottom of wholesale+shipping allowance. No profit margin at that price.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #822
mjcxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
This won't last long. And order from Amazon. Those Etailz orders are sure to get cancelled. I'm guessing they messed up and listed inventory for the Roamio Plus under the Pro model.

You can bet the Amazon price is their rock-bottom of wholesale+shipping allowance. No profit margin at that price.
Yep I figured if I ordered from them I would receive the Plus and not the Pro. Hopefully Amazon will honor the orders.
mjcxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #823
tivaulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post

Thank you for pushing me over the wall. I was about to start researching about etailz as this sure looks like a product mistake.

I was looking for a plus instead, but this is too good to pass. At least if anything goes wrong with the transaction, the headache with Amazon will be a lot lighter than with the other company.

BTW, I think this is a case of Amazon's bot automatic price match. Thanks etailz for the mistake, crossing my fingers.
tivaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #824
laria
Librocubicularist

I'd be surprised if the order went through. Etailz had the Pro listed at $399.99 in mid-November, too, and a couple of us placed orders, but we all got emails within a day that the order had been cancelled because the product was out of stock.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #825
JAaronT

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I'd be surprised if the order went through. Etailz had the Pro listed at $399.99 in mid-November, too, and a couple of us placed orders, but we all got emails within a day that the order had been cancelled because the product was out of stock.
I was just searching for our posts about the experience with them.

Spend the $30 and get it from Amazon. I just did.
JAaronT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #826
DonnieZ

Just got settled in with my new Roamio Plus and Mini which are replacing two TiVo HD units.

Got Best Buy to match the email from TiVo for $349 for the Plus, and got them to match the $86 price from Amazon for the Mini. Wish I could have bought when they had the gift card deal as well, but you can't win them all.

Gawd.. These things set up so fast! Thanks to the person who posted the Comcast Cable Card hotline somewhere on this forum. I was up and going in 5 minutes from the time I powered up the Roamio and inserted the M-Card from my TiVoHD!!! Guided setup took about an hour with all the updates, reboots, and some dinner cooking in the middle.
DonnieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #827
laria
Librocubicularist

I still haven't called to pair my card and we went and got it the day after Christmas.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 PM   #828
mike3775

The ones who got the pro from best buy are lucky as hell. My best buy stores only had the basic $199 model and the others I had to order online through them, and I figured since I am going to order online, I may as well go through Tivo and use some promo codes I got in an email.

I have to give Tivo credit. I initially screwed up and ordered a roamio plus w/lifetime and it cost $962.98, and I realized I had forgotten to enter my promo code after I clicked purchase. I called them up immediately, and they went into my order and put in the promo code and while doing so I asked if I could just cancel that order and put in an order for the pro as it would come out to be about the same price with the promo code, which they did cancel the original, and did an order over the phone and my total for pro with lifetime was $962.99, so with the promo code, and 1 cent more, I got the pro.

I am waiting for my delivery to arrive. It was supposed to arrive today, but UPS is still having issues from the weather event earlier this week so I should get it tomorrow, and I went ahead and got my cable card from Comcast the day after I placed my order, so I am hoping installation and activation of it will be painless, as for my HDTivo, Comcast was in my place for over 7 hours getting it set up(this was in 2008)
mike3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #829
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post
I was just searching for our posts about the experience with them.

Spend the $30 and get it from Amazon. I just did.
For me it would be $30 + $27 in sales tax, that $57, I took my chance and ordered the $399 Roamio Pro version, I got a confirm from Amazon, if the order falls through, no problem for me as I will get my money back.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #830
Tom Pich

Amazon is back to $529.99 for the Pro which is still a good price. I was lucky enough to get in on the $431.23 price x2. Hopefully Amazon will ship these units!

Etailz is still showing $399.99.
Tom Pich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #831
Tom Pich

Amazon price is $433.59 for the Roamio Pro right now. I'm sure it won't last long.
Tom Pich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #832
alyssa

I was able to get best buy to price match to costco for a plus over the phone. The plus price ended up being $350 with fee shipping. (I had an additional $100 bucks in gcards for bb)

How I did it was
Call a costco that is located with 50 miles of a best by
, ask them what they have the plus at,
Call best buy, tell them you saw it in a costco at xxxx
They'll call the costco and verify
Then give you the plus at the price matched mark with free shipping.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #833
sicariis

Didn't think this low price would hang around all day. I cancelled my Elitz order, and went to Best Buy and got them to match Amazon's $433, well worth the little extra for getting it today.

Last edited by sicariis : 01-11-2014 at 06:38 PM.
sicariis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #834
DonnieZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
I was able to get best buy to price match to costco for a plus over the phone. The plus price ended up being $350 with fee shipping. (I had an additional $100 bucks in gcards for bb)

How I did it was
Call a costco that is located with 50 miles of a best by
, ask them what they have the plus at,
Call best buy, tell them you saw it in a costco at xxxx
They'll call the costco and verify
Then give you the plus at the price matched mark with free shipping.

That's pretty good you got them to match Costco.. I thought their policy was not to match membership clubs.
DonnieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #835
tivogurl

Is the Pro really worth it? I'd probably lose at least $100 reselling my 2TB Lifetime Basic.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #836
mike3775

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Is the Pro really worth it? I'd probably lose at least $100 reselling my 2TB Lifetime Basic.
I only got the pro because of the promo codes TiVo sent. I would have been happy with the middle one because I still have the extender from the HDTivo that died 6 months ago, and figured I would simply add that to the one, but the promo codes made is the same as the middle, and I will plug the extender into it when it arrives Monday(Freiking UPS and their BS weather excuses for delaying the delivery)
mike3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #837
laria
Librocubicularist

We wanted the Plus/Pro because we already had 4 tuners with our two S3's and needed the 6 tuners. We knew we'd either upgrade the Plus or just get the Pro because we also wanted the increased hard drive space.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #838
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Depends on the deal you get. At list, there is a $200 difference in price, and a 3TB drive runs between $100 and $140 depending on what type of drive you buy. Personally, it is worth $60 to $75 to me to not have to open up the box. YMMV.
Diana Collins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #839
cjbell82

Got Best Buy to pricematch the Amazon price of $433.59 for the pro. No problems, although they did double check this on their own iPad!

Didn't want to risk going through Etailz, as they seem to keep getting further stock in, and one wonders how they can be priced so much cheaper than the rest, but good luck to those who are trying that route!
cjbell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #840
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbell82 View Post
Got Best Buy to pricematch the Amazon price of $433.59 for the pro. No problems, although they did double check this on their own iPad!

Didn't want to risk going through Etailz, as they seem to keep getting further stock in, and one wonders how they can be priced so much cheaper than the rest, but good luck to those who are trying that route!
Best part is that I ordered one on Tuesday at $535.99 and it dropped right after shipment and I emailed to get my $6 back. Last night, my camelcamelcamel.com price alert went off to alert me to the $431.23 price and I emailed them again to get my $98.76 back.

Amazon will price adjust and credit back the difference within 7 days of shipment, so if anyone ordered one from Amazon and received it in the last 7 days, email Amazon to get your difference back, before they put it back up to $529.99 again.

I will be very surprised if Etailz ships at that price and I would be even more surprised if they do anything before Monday, since they're likely to be getting hit with dozens of orders at that price.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote