TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - S01E11 "The Magical Place" - 1/7/2014

So we finally get a little backstory but as it ends up, we still really don't have much information about what happened to Coulson. We do know he wasn't really in Tahiti, which was really just them messing with his brain to help him forget all the nasty surgeries that they performed on him. So why really was he so important that they needed to rebuild(?) him?

It was interesting and entertaining though. I liked how Skye made a lot of progress on the outside but it was really pretty predictable that May wanted to get her off the plane based on the wording.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
morac
Cat God

If it turns out they "simply" revived him after him being dead for a few days and the big mystery is that "he gave up on life", that would seem like a major cop-out. I hope that's not the whole story and that he's a clone or had his brain transplanted into a new body or something.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
ehusen
Geek not Nerd

The impression I got from Ron Glass' character "confession" was that at some point Coulson become something horrible or evil. I'm guess he did some awful things and they don't want him to remember those things. Maybe he was saying just let me die because he couldn't live with the awful things he had done.

So yeah, we get "some answers" but really just more questions. I hope they don't run the mystery for the entire show run. I lost interest in the Xfiles way back when since they did the same thing, milking the mystery until I just didn't care to find out anymore.

And who else figured out that Gunn wasn't really dead before the big reveal?

(Hmmm, maybe I should actually learn the character names instead of referring to roles they used to play...)
Old 01-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I can't imagine him being a great candidate for that program with only one good leg. Maybe they'll give him an artificial one at some point. I guess they'll take anybody with a centipede already embedded in them.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I only casually watch this show. Every time I see the 6 engine jet with the VTOL capability, it just cracks me up.

I wonder how much they had to pay Samuel L. for his "cameo"?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I only casually watch this show. Every time I see the 6 engine jet with the VTOL capability, it just cracks me up.
Considering Shield has a flying/hovering aircraft carrier held up with 4 jet fans, I let the jet's VTOL abilities slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I wonder how much they had to pay Samuel L. for his "cameo"?
I was thinking it wasn't really him. They darkened half his face, so it was hard to make out whether it was really Sam Jackson or not. Then again he had a true cameo earlier in the season so who knows.

Speaking of cameos (not really a spoiler, but to be safe).
Spoiler:
Stan Lee will cameo in an episode in February.

morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Considering Shield has a flying/hovering aircraft carrier held up with 4 jet fans, I let the jet's VTOL abilities slide.
But using the VTOL was still a silly way to make a U-turn.
It's not like they were braking to make fighers or missiles overshoot, they just needed to turn around and head to a different destination.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Ereth

I think the bigger question is - since he's not an LMD or something really techy, but instead was simply repaired and brought back to life by a scary looking robot activating his brain continuously... wouldn't that mean that it's not unique to Coulson and we now have a means of bringing pretty much anybody back to life, at least as long as their brain is mostly intact?

What are the implications of that? (though I suppose it is consistent with "nobody ever stays dead in comics").

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

I'm guessing the cosmic cube, i.e. Tesseract, had something to do with it. And I'm convinced now that Skye is Melinda's daughter.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
ehusen
Geek not Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
It's not like they were braking to make fighers or missiles overshoot, they just needed to turn around and head to a different destination.
So true. Yeah I'm being pedantic but it would probably take longer to slow down to hover, rotate, and then speed up again vs. just a hard banking turn.

Heck, tilt the plane 90 degrees and bank hard at about 3 Gs would have been more exciting.

Clearly just put in to look "cool" and for me it was actually a little offputting. Oh well, still enjoy the show. It's no Firefly but I'm still in for the duration. It has the Whedon name on it so I must follow...
Old 01-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
I'm guessing the cosmic cube, i.e. Tesseract, had something to do with it. And I'm convinced now that Skye is Melinda's daughter.
Interesting.
Based on the new info from this episode I was leaning more towards her possibly being Coulson's daughter; with his girlfriend(?); the one SHIELD lied to about him having died (you know, back before he actually died and went to 'Tahiti')
Old 01-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I think the bigger question is - since he's not an LMD or something really techy, but instead was simply repaired and brought back to life by a scary looking robot activating his brain continuously... wouldn't that mean that it's not unique to Coulson and we now have a means of bringing pretty much anybody back to life, at least as long as their brain is mostly intact?

What are the implications of that? (though I suppose it is consistent with "nobody ever stays dead in comics").
We only saw the last operation, the one that covers up his lost will to live with memories of Tahiti with that brain robot thing. The doctor said there were like 7 previous surgeries, which could have really been anything. Supposedly they were scary ones and doesn't really rule out anything IMO.

Last edited by DancnDude : 01-08-2014 at 06:23 PM.
DancnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
Azlen

Quote:
And I'm convinced now that Skye is Melinda's daughter.
And then she becomes an Asian pop star.

Chloé Wang - "Uh Oh" (Chinese Version)
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
kdmorse

Quote:
The whole thing was a poor imitation of a Firefly class transport pulling a Crazy Ivan - without any of the sense of danger, urgency, or.. well.. acting...

Wash Pullin' A Crazy Ivan (Abridged)

kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #15
busyba
The Funcooker

Here's a screenshot of one of the things in Coulson's flashback... it looks like it could have been some kind of alien artifact tech that was used in his revival. Anybody recognize it as anything in particular?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #16
TonyD79

Decent episode but if the clairvoyant can read the President's mind, why need Colson? Just read the memories of the doctor(s) involved? As for the full mystery of Colson, anything that reveals the truth will be a letdown. (see the origin if wolverine) Keep it a partial mystery. Answers aren't always the answer.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #17
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Quote:
I got the impression May was doing that to annoy their passengers. Weren't the other SHIELD people still on board at that point?
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehusen View Post
So true. Yeah I'm being pedantic but it would probably take longer to slow down to hover, rotate, and then speed up again vs. just a hard banking turn.

Heck, tilt the plane 90 degrees and bank hard at about 3 Gs would have been more exciting.
Exactly what I thought while watching it.

markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #19
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post

Looking at that, and seeing her IMDB bio, I'm more convinced of it. She is half Chinese, and they must have made that casting decision on purpose.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #20
Loach

Quote:

Thanks. I was having a difficult enough time taking her character seriously and now this is tattooed on my brain.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #21
busyba
The Funcooker

heh heh heh... wang

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Quote:

Watching the show, it never occurred to me that she had Chinese heritage, but watching the video she really looks more Chinese than western.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #23
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Here's a screenshot of one of the things in Coulson's flashback... it looks like it could have been some kind of alien artifact tech that was used in his revival. Anybody recognize it as anything in particular?

Isn't that from the temple in the first episode?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #24
Gerryex

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehusen View Post
Clearly just put in to look "cool" and for me it was actually a little offputting. Oh well, still enjoy the show. It's no Firefly but I'm still in for the duration. It has the Whedon name on it so I must follow...
I'm no avionics expert but that turn was one of the silliest things on the show so far!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #25
cheesesteak
Meh.

I thought the turn was cool. Maybe it made no real world sense but it wasn't ridiculous enough for half the posts here to be about it, at least to me.

I kinda liked the flower print dress lady. She was more interesting than almost all of the good guys. Hope she returns soon.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #26
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Decent episode but if the clairvoyant can read the President's mind, why need Colson? Just read the memories of the doctor(s) involved?
Indeed and not only would they be easier to find but they also don't have a dedicated team of spies with a personal interest in recovering them.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #27
JoeyJoJo
Damaged Goods

Quote:

Possibly, but the Tesseract was being brought back to Asgard with Thor and Loki.

The way they're hitting you over the head with the May/Sky thing there is no way she's May's daughter.
JoeyJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #28
Test

I thought that robot thing was just making a duplicate, copying from the dead Coulson and pasting into the copy. Then they explained it was only rewriting his memory to be on the island. lame.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #29
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo View Post
The way they're hitting you over the head with the May/Sky thing there is no way she's May's daughter.
How about sister?

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #30
Lord_Skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo View Post
Possibly, but the Tesseract was being brought back to Asgard with Thor and Loki.

The Tesseract was sent back to Asgard, but Loki's staff might still be with SHIELD. They stated that the staff had the same energies as the Tesseract in it.

Xbox Gamertag: Lord Fett
Lord_Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote